Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 15, 2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Liz Wolf-Spada
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Welk, Gaslamp, Lowveld Lodge, Paniolo Green
Anyone have the new Subaru Impreza?

I am interested in this car because of the good gas mileage and all wheel drive. I'd really like a new Forester, but the mileage is not nearly as good. We have snow and I'm a bit concerned that the clearance on the Impreza is only 4.5 inches, versus 7 or 8 on the Forester. Any one have any experience with this new car?
Thanks,
Liz
Liz Wolf-Spada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Liz Wolf-Spada
TUG Member

Bump as many viewers, no responders yet.
Liz
Old April 16, 2012, 09:47 PM   #3
skulipeg
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05

Resorts: Mayan Palace
I can't comment on the new Impreza, but we have a 2009 Impreza, and love it. We live in Winnipeg, and usually see a fair amount of snow, and have never had a concern regarding clearance. The only complaint I have is that in cold weather there are a lot of squeaks and rattles, but looking at your location, I don't think that's an issue
skulipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Liz Wolf-Spada
TUG Member

Actually we have cold winters and snow, sometimes as much as 4 feet. That's why we need AWD. I had an Impreza the first year it came out in'93 and it had a few problems including the AC. I replaced it with a 2001 Legacy, which my son has now. We currently have a 4 x 4 Ford 150 and need better gas mileage.
Liz
Old April 17, 2012, 10:40 PM   #5
eal
TUG Member

Resorts: Geoholiday points, Pacific Shores, Manteo Beach, Glacier Wilderness, Poste Montane, Villas of Sedona, Whistler TwinPeaks
We have a 2003 Impreza and boy does it handle the road under any condition. Last January we were getting ready to drive to the airport to catch our flight to Palm Springs, to escape winter. It snowed overnight and the Subaru looked buried. I told my husband we would have to dig it out in order to get it off the parking spot and onto the road. He just shook his head, got in, and drove in onto the road through DEEP snow as if it was the middle of summer! Gas mileage is great too.

Last year our son-in-law bought a Subaru WRX STI and is that ever a wonderful car, vroom vroom vroom!
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Liz Wolf-Spada
TUG Member

Those are both great recommendations. I found out on another site they are planning some kind of crossover on the Subaru platform that will have an 8 inch clearance. Should be around by next fall.
Liz
Old April 18, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
A 'crossover' would be unlikely to get better mileage than a Forester, and Forester is rated one of the safest cars available. If they are making a change to a well proven design, there may be some incentives available to soften the blow of slightly lower mileage.

Jim
Passepartout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Phydeaux

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Wolf-Spada View Post
I am interested in this car because of the good gas mileage and all wheel drive. I'd really like a new Forester, but the mileage is not nearly as good. We have snow and I'm a bit concerned that the clearance on the Impreza is only 4.5 inches, versus 7 or 8 on the Forester. Any one have any experience with this new car?
Thanks,
Liz
Not sure what model Impreza you're looking at, but if getting good gas mileage is important, you should take a look at Volkswagen's Jetta Sportwagen 30 mpg city/42 hy or their Passat diesel, 31 city/43 hy. Not bad numbers there
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012, 10:32 AM   #9
antjmar

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 18, 11

Resorts: Wyndham Points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Wolf-Spada View Post
Thanks,
Liz
A friend is geting one soon (factory order) Are you looking at a manual or an automatic? The auto has a CVT transmission. I currently have in a AWD with a CVT (not a subaru) and hate it. I think the stick is a better choice IMO.
antjmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012, 12:08 AM   #10
Liz Wolf-Spada
TUG Member

Can't look at VW as we live in the mountains with snow and need AWD. I do not want to go back to a stick, my 2001 Subaru Legacy was my first automatic and I loved it. We'll have to do some test driving.
Liz