Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Travel Info

Travel Info This is the place to post travel tips and ask questions related to traveling to timeshare resorts.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old May 3, 2012, 12:17 AM   #1
gnorth16

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 6, 11

Resorts: SDO, HGVC and more...
Restaurant.com

For those that want to try some new restaurants when they travel check out restaurant.com. There are usually $25 gift certificates for $10 and they have an app that you can load them onto your phone without printing. We bought three for our trip to Orlando and two were really good, especially BB King's.

FYI, it appears it does not allow non-US residents to register, so I used the address at Grande Vista and then payed with paypal, then loaded the app and used them that way.

Look for your favorite restaurant or try new ones, it will save you a few bucks next time you travel and have to eat out a lot.
Intelligent
Sometimes
Mysterious

gnorth16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
You're a little late to the party. A whole bunch of us have been using them for years. Toward the end of most months the coupons are usually 80% off, which makes those $25 certs $2. Occasionally on special occasions (9/9/09 was one) they were 90% off.

We have found that they have lost some of their utility, as the minimum to use a $25 cert has crept up to $50 in a lot of places without alcohol, which is difficult for the 2 of us to meet- especially whereas most Rest.com establishments are lower-to middling priced places. Some only accept $50 & $100 with correspondingly high expenditure requirements.

I still have a dozen of more generic gift certs in my account that we put a name on and use when traveling.

Jim
Old May 3, 2012, 09:10 AM   #3
pkyorkbeach
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 3, 10

Resorts: STAR ISLAND-Florida, HOLLY TREE-Cape Cod, THE FALLS-OGUNQUIT
The Orlando tickets do not seem to be offered for the specials. Has anyone else found that?
pkyorkbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:58 AM   #4
MichaelColey

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 4, 10

Resorts: Summer Bay Orlando (3BR LO), Palace View Branson (4 Lockouts), Grandview (Points), CMV (UDI), DVC (SSR 25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passepartout View Post
You're a little late to the party. A whole bunch of us have been using them for years. Toward the end of most months the coupons are usually 80% off, which makes those $25 certs $2. Occasionally on special occasions (9/9/09 was one) they were 90% off.
And you're a little late to the party, too.

Instead of cycling through once a month from no discount (but with restocked certificates) to a 50% off coupon ($5) to 70% off ($3) and 80% off ($2), they are no cycling through 2-3 times a month.

Great points about reduced utility, though. That's been my experience as well. Also, the base price on some have gone up from $10 to $12.50, $15 or even $20.

I'm still usually able to find at least one good one that work for us, just about everywhere we go.

I do love their new app (although I wish it would leave me logged in!). Now I don't have to print vouchers in advance, and I've even ordered some (bought in a web browser, using a coupon -- not in the app) on the way to the restaurant.

I buy a bunch in advance. I find it's best that way. If the restaurant later changes their terms (like requiring a $50 purchase instead of $35, excludes Friday/Saturday, excludes lunch or carryout, etc.), the old certificates you purchased retain their original terms. Plus, if they quit participating in the program or go out of business, you can get a generic certificate that you can use to buy a certificate at another restaurant (which is great when you don't have a coupon, or for popular restaurants that sell out before the best coupons are available or for ones that cost more than $10).
Old May 10, 2012, 03:13 PM   #5
timesharepartners

BBS Reg. Date: May 10, 12
Thanks for the post Michael. Great info and advice! I'm going to check out the deals now. Hope you enjoy your time at Schlitterbahn - best water park in the world (in my opinion anyways).
timesharepartners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
MichaelColey

TUG Member

Resorts: Summer Bay Orlando (3BR LO), Palace View Branson (4 Lockouts), Grandview (Points), CMV (UDI), DVC (SSR 25)
We're looking forward to it. First time that we've gone in 5-10 years, and I honestly don't remember it well enough to compare it to others we've gone to more recently (the Disney water parks at Atlantis).
Old May 22, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
MichaelColey

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
We're looking forward to it. First time that we've gone in 5-10 years, and I honestly don't remember it well enough to compare it to others we've gone to more recently (the Disney water parks and Atlantis).
Got the kids' opinions tonight. One rated Schlitterbahn higher than Disney Waterparks or Atlantis. The other rated Disney Waterparks first, Schlitterbahn second and Atlantis third.

I find it hard to compare them. All three are pretty awesome.