Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Marriott Resort System
Log into the TUG BBS:

Marriott Resort System Discussion of Marriott Timeshare Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, and Marriott Destination Points memberships!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

 
Forum Jump


Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
iamnotshopgirl
 
iamnotshopgirl's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 323

Resorts: Marriott Ocean Pointe
Points week owner...resale question

I tried doing a search on Tug and came across SueDonj post FAQ and her summary but could not find the information I was looking for. I remember a post that appeared (or within another post) concerning the resale of points owned weeks in the DC. If I recall right there is no real option of selling a points owned week as yet in DC and if you try to sell the restrictions on the new buyer may not be attractive and are costly. I was hoping that someone could direct me to the Tug link or maybe list some of those restrictions as they stand right now and how you expect Marriott to change them in the future. I am wondering what would happen if an owner had to sell because of some life event like death, divorce or job loss etc. sure if you are a week (s) owner you can sell on the market but what happens to the points owner is his weeks basically worthless? Thanks in advance for any help and advise.


bob

Last edited by iamnotshopgirl; May 3, 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: to correct
iamnotshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #2
dioxide45
 
dioxide45's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 06
Location: Ohio
Posts: 16,248

Resorts: Marriott's Grande Vista, Marriott's Harbour Lake
It is mentioned in the last post in the very first Sticky in the forum.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
m61376
 
m61376's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Aug 2, 06
Location: NY
Posts: 6,405

Resorts: Marriott's Aruba Surf Club
I assume you meant DC.
The waters are murky. At least one Tugger has been told that the points will have full reservation privileges with payment of an education and enrollment fee (minimum of $2300, if I remember correctly), but the language in the offerings doesn't substantiate that and right now the resale of points is questionable. There is some verbiage which indicates they may only be used less than 60 days out. Until someone here volunteers to be the guinea pig I don't know if we'll know for certain what the status and procedures are, since Marriott seemingly has failed to address this very real issue.
m61376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
TheTimeTraveler
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jan 23, 08
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotshopgirl View Post
I tried doing a search on Tug and came across SueDonj post FAQ and her summary but could not find the information I was looking for. I remember a post that appeared (or within another post) concerning the resale of points owned weeks in the DC. If I recall right there is no real option of selling a points owned week as yet in DC and if you try to sell the restrictions on the new buyer may not be attractive and are costly. I was hoping that someone could direct me to the Tug link or maybe list some of those restrictions as they stand right now and how you expect Marriott to change them in the future. I am wondering what would happen if an owner had to sell because of some life event like death, divorce or job loss etc. sure if you are a week (s) owner you can sell on the market but what happens to the points owner is his weeks basically worthless? Thanks in advance for any help and advise.


bob



Are you talking about a deeded week which has been converted to points? If so, that deeded week can be easily resold without any restrictions, however the points option will no longer exist upon sale.

If you have purchased points directly from Marriott then that is a different story, and their resale use and viability is still very murky.



.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
iamnotshopgirl
 
iamnotshopgirl's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 323

Resorts: Marriott Ocean Pointe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Are you talking about a deeded week which has been converted to points? If so, that deeded week can be easily resold without any restrictions, however the points option will no longer exist upon sale.

If you have purchased points directly from Marriott then that is a different story, and their resale use and viability is still very murky.



.
Yes, I was talking about a deeded week converted to points. The link above provides the information that I was looking for and clarified my misunderstanding. If my understanding is now correct to get out of the points program with an enrolled week the only thing I would have to do is NOT to pay the annual Club Dues Fee. The below is a quote from SueDonj's post.

"But if you're talking about enrolling Weeks and wondering what happens when you want to sell your ownership, it's much more simple. DC enrollment does not materially change the deeds connected to enrolled Weeks; it's simply an overlay-type exchange system in which you can elect on an annual basis to convert your enrolled Weeks to DC Points for use in the DC Exchange Company. Once you've paid the enrollment fee your Weeks will be eligible to convert to DC Points as long as you continue to pay the annual Club Dues fee. During the time period when your Weeks are enrolled and your Club Dues fees are current, you can use your Weeks in all the same ways that you always have in addition to the DC Points-conversion exchange option. When you no longer want your Weeks to be enrolled, simply don't pay the next Club Dues fee and your Weeks will be un-enrolled. Re-enrollment by you will be subject to whatever rules and fees are in effect at that time.

When it comes to selling Weeks which have been enrolled in the DC, what you will be selling is your Week - the DC Enrollment will not transfer to the new owner. Plus, at that point it will be a post-6/20/10 external resale, which means that it will not be eligible for re-enrollment by the new owner."
iamnotshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 12:56 PM   #6
SueDonJ
Moderator
 
SueDonJ's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jul 26, 06
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,442

Resorts: Marriott Vacation Club: Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotshopgirl View Post
Yes, I was talking about a deeded week converted to points. The link above provides the information that I was looking for and clarified my misunderstanding. If my understanding is now correct to get out of the points program with an enrolled week the only thing I would have to do is NOT to pay the annual Club Dues Fee. The below is a quote from SueDonj's post.

"But if you're talking about enrolling Weeks and wondering what happens when you want to sell your ownership, it's much more simple. DC enrollment does not materially change the deeds connected to enrolled Weeks; it's simply an overlay-type exchange system in which you can elect on an annual basis to convert your enrolled Weeks to DC Points for use in the DC Exchange Company. Once you've paid the enrollment fee your Weeks will be eligible to convert to DC Points as long as you continue to pay the annual Club Dues fee. During the time period when your Weeks are enrolled and your Club Dues fees are current, you can use your Weeks in all the same ways that you always have in addition to the DC Points-conversion exchange option. When you no longer want your Weeks to be enrolled, simply don't pay the next Club Dues fee and your Weeks will be un-enrolled. Re-enrollment by you will be subject to whatever rules and fees are in effect at that time.

When it comes to selling Weeks which have been enrolled in the DC, what you will be selling is your Week - the DC Enrollment will not transfer to the new owner. Plus, at that point it will be a post-6/20/10 external resale, which means that it will not be eligible for re-enrollment by the new owner."
It might help to think of it like the relationship between Marriott Rewards Points and the timeshares. Prior to the DC inception if you purchased a Week direct from Marriott you got the MRP-exchange benefit, but upon external resale of that Week the MRP-exchange benefit does not transfer to the new owner. The MRP-exchange benefit is simply an add-on feature to certain purchases.

Well, if you enroll your Week(s) what you're essentially doing is purchasing an add-on feature which entitles you to choose another usage option on an annual basis. Enrollment does not change your original purchase. When you sell your Week(s) you will be selling exactly what you purchased - the Week - and the add-on DC Enrollment will not transfer to the new owner (like the MRP-exchange option of direct purchased Weeks.)
__________________
Susan

Last edited by SueDonJ; May 3, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
SueDonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
iamnotshopgirl
 
iamnotshopgirl's Avatar
TUG Member
 
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 323

Resorts: Marriott Ocean Pointe
Thank you all for your input it is appreciated.

bob
iamnotshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
BBS Software Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Editorial Content Copyright ©1993 - 2014, Timeshare Users Group
Customized for TUG by Makai Guy.