Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Marriott Resort System

Marriott Resort System Discussion of Marriott Timeshare Resorts, Marriott Vacation Club, and Marriott Destination Points memberships!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old May 2, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
tompk
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 1, 05

Resorts: Marriott's Grande Vista Plat EOY, Marriott's Legends Edge Plat, Marriott's Manor Club Plat, Marriott's OceanWatch Gold
Free entertainment at BeachPlace Towers

http://www.courant.com/news/breaking...,5079608.story
Old May 2, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
enma
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 4, 09

Resorts: Marriott EY Platinum weeks X3, Platinum EOY X1, Gold X1
OMG...and I am heading there this summer. Is it even safe to walk around there??
enma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:05 AM   #3
jlepstein1
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 3, 11

Resorts: Marriott Ocean Pointe, Marriott Beachplace, Manhattan Club, Phillips Club
The problem with Beachplace is that you need to walk through the shopping center in front of the building in order to get to the beach. It is tawdry and tasteless but I have never felt that it was unsafe. There used to be a few interesting stores but most are long gone, and they've been replaced with chain restaurants, bars (Hooters) and stores selling beach towels and tacky souvenirs. etc. The only useful store there is the CVS. We always have a car when we stay at BPT, and in the evenings we usually drive away from the beach to a restaurant on the mainland. The food is better and less expensive, and we avoid the drunks in the shopping center. That said, BPT is a pretty nice resort. The units are very nice with great views from higher floors. The major problems are a) slow elevators and b) a poorly designed garage. The shopping center appears to be totally safe during the day and the beachfront promenade is glorious for walking, jogging etc.
jlepstein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 06:55 AM   #4
vacationhopeful

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 07

Resorts: Club Wyndham Plus; Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort; RCI Points; Shell Vacation Club
I usually stay just north off A1A at Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort and even did a stay at Beachplace. This is an urban location and not the suburbs or located on a campus with a golf course and a long driveway. Keep your eyes open and your ears alert - as if you were in a major city or a large shopping mall; do not let your kids run ahead or play hide & seek.

You will still have a great vacation - and will generally be safe - by remembering, this is NOT your backyard or suburbs.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:43 AM   #5
bogey21
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 8, 05

Resorts: Orofino at Straight Creek, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationhopeful View Post
I usually stay just north off A1A at Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort.
If you aren't interested in paying for the Marriott experience (this is not a shot at Marriott), I also recommend the Fort lauderdale Beach Resort. If an adequate but not luxurious one bedroom suits your needs I also recommend the Silver Seas which is 100 yards North of the Beach Place and right accross A1A from the same beach. They even have easy in, easy out street level parking behind the Resort.

George
bogey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:18 AM   #6
FractionalTraveler

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 29, 12

Resorts: Legacy Owner, DC Member, Trust Owner
The Ritz Carlton right next door is very good. The restaurants and their menus are fantastic.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
pwrshift

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: 6 Marriott Weeks (Platinum)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompk View Post
I can't get the video to play ... is it now taken down?
Old May 3, 2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Quilter
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 9, 05
Oh that's terrible, poor man.

Brian I was able to see the video so it's working.

The written article has a line that is stating the obvious "Today, he still is missing part of his ear." Well of course he is! It's not growing back. . .
Quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
pwrshift

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: 6 Marriott Weeks (Platinum)
Worked this time on my iPad no less. I guess YouTube was overloaded with Tuggers when I looked before.

Like in any big city, there are rowdies and late at night in the bars area of the Beach Place mall there are some weird people at times. Ive never seen anything like this there, but not surprised. Glad they caught he guy.

Brian
Old May 9, 2012, 06:41 AM   #10
IslandTime
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 20, 11

Resorts: Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Wow, that's awful. But unfortunately, there are nuts out there and it could have happened anywhere.

We'll be at BeachPlace Sunday and I'm looking forward to a great relaxing week.
IslandTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
kjd
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 1, 08

Resorts: MGC-3br, EY MGO-2br, silver EY
Beach Place is a great resort. The comment about it being in an urban location are the operative words. The beach across the street is a public beach located in a city. Anyone can access it at any time. Tourists should act accordingly.

The hotel itself is completely safe and has a wonderful pool deck for guests to enjoy. In fact many guests do not use the public beach at all. There is a feeling of security within the resort and the parking lot is separated and secure from the public parking. There are "street people" out on the public sidewalk and they offer an interesting variety of people watching from one of the outdoor cafes along the street. I look at it as part of the Beach Place experience. If you don't like an urban setting and all that goes with it, you probably will be better off somewhere else.

Walking through the shopping center to get to the elevators is a little eery at night but it seems to be no problem during the day. Driving to some of the attractions in the area at night is not a bad idea either. All in all I think Beach Place will more than satisfy most Marriott owners.
kjd is offline   Reply With Quote