Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Resort Regions > Canada

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old April 24, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
hellolani
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 2, 11

Resorts: SDO; Fairways of the Mountains
[2012] Jasper

I'm wondering if anyone knows why there doesn't seem to be any TS resorts in Jasper, AB. I was just looking into it as DH and I were thinking about doing a rail trip up there in a sleeper car and I was hoping to tag on a few days at a resort - to my surprise there aren't any I can find in II or RCI. Considering the popularity of Banff / Canmore, and even all the hotsprings and mountains in the interior of BC, I would have thought Jasper would be more developed on this front. Is there some history I'm not aware of?
hellolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
eal
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Geoholiday points, Pacific Shores, Manteo Beach, Glacier Wilderness, Poste Montane, Villas of Sedona, Whistler TwinPeaks
I got into timesharing when the earth's crust was cooling, and I have always been hoping for a timeshare opportunity to open in Jasper, but no luck so far. Since the town is in a national park I am sure that the restrictions on property development must be pretty tight. However there is one timeshare property in Banff, so it is not impossible...
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012, 01:40 AM   #3
spirits
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 15, 07
How Banff got a timeshare

When Calgary got the Olympics in the 1980's the organizing committee built the facilities for the Olympic officials. After the Olympics the building was converted into a timeshare. ( That is what I have been told by some old timers,) Jasper is too far away from an international airport and has not developed as much commercially as Banff. My family very much preferred Jasper to Banff because of this but now love Banff because of our timeshare there.
On a side note there are many nice Bed and Breakfasts in Jasper. Our family has stayed in one called The Glasshouse. 3 very nice bedrooms and if a group was going you could arrange to have the run of the main floor since the owners would stay in a suite in the basement.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Kauai Kid

TUG Member

Resorts: Alii Kai II (AKI-2201) 3 wks & Na Pali Kauai (NPP) 2 wks Princeville, Kauai; Maui Schooner (LMB) 3 wks Kihei, Maui
Question Passport requirements

Do US citizens need passports for Canadian travel, eh?

thanks, sterling
Kauai Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Karen G

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 17, 04

Resorts: Pueblo Bonito Rose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai Kid View Post
Do US citizens need passports for Canadian travel, eh?
Yes. Read about it here.
Karen G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
eal
TUG Member

Resorts: Geoholiday points, Pacific Shores, Manteo Beach, Glacier Wilderness, Poste Montane, Villas of Sedona, Whistler TwinPeaks
The trick is getting back into the US:
From CBP website:
All U.S. citizens and nonimmigrant aliens from Canada, Bermuda, and Mexico departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere at air ports of entry are required to present a valid passport, NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport), Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens traveling on official business), or Military Identification Card (for members of the U.S. armed forces traveling on official orders).
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:28 PM   #7
shagnut
TUG Member

Resorts: Highlands of Sugar MROP
When I went to Jasper from Banff I stayed at a place called Kelly's Accomodations. It's like a B & B without the breakfast. People will rent out a bedroom which worked out great for my Kelli & me. You can see why I chose to stay there. shaggy
shagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Tanyas110
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 2, 12
I can't really say why there have never been any timeshares show up in Jasper but.....

Jasper prides itself on not being as "commercial" as Banff. There hasn't been any new developments in town because, as I understand it, the municipality is not allowed to exceed it's current boundries. The Park has also been designated as a "dark sky preserve" which limits development because of strict light pollution rules.
Tanyas110 is offline   Reply With Quote