Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old May 4, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
SueDonJ

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 26, 06

Resorts: Marriott Vacation Club: Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Mo Rivera

Wow, what sad news out of Yankee Stadium about Mo's injury. He's been a RedSox nemesis for way too long, sure, but he's one of those players whose exceptional talents transcend the rivalry. I don't think any Yankee will ever get as loud an ovation in Fenway Park as he did on Opening Day, 2005. Of course we Sox fanatics were happy that his blown saves were what forced the monster collapse by the Dreaded Yankees during our 2004 playoff run, but we also recognize that he pretty much stands alone as The Best Closer Ever. A lot of folks thought that ovation was simply bad sportsmanship, more taunting than adoration, but no. Real fans know that he deserved those accolades.

I hope he gets to come back for at least one game at Yankee Stadium after the long rehab so that his fans can pay respect and say goodbye under much better circumstances. If he manages that, then I hope too that he'll have at least one more appearance at Fenway and all the other AL East parks. Sad, sad, sad.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:53 PM   #2
SpikeMauler

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 26, 08

Resorts: Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Marriott Aruba Ocean Club
Rivera says he's coming back next year. It's gonna be a tough rehab for a 42 year old but I think he'll make it back.
SpikeMauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Nickfromct
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 5, 09

Resorts: Marriott Aruba Surf Club Marriott BeachPlace Towers Sheraton Desert Oasis Casa Dorada at Medano Beach
He certainly doesn't want to close out an incredible career like this.
Nickfromct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
fillde
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 23, 08

Resorts: Hgvc, Marriott
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDonJ View Post
Wow, what sad news out of Yankee Stadium about Mo's injury. He's been a RedSox nemesis for way too long, sure, but he's one of those players whose exceptional talents transcend the rivalry. I don't think any Yankee will ever get as loud an ovation in Fenway Park as he did on Opening Day, 2005. Of course we Sox fanatics were happy that his blown saves were what forced the monster collapse by the Dreaded Yankees during our 2004 playoff run, but we also recognize that he pretty much stands alone as The Best Closer Ever. A lot of folks thought that ovation was simply bad sportsmanship, more taunting than adoration, but no. Real fans know that he deserved those accolades.

I hope he gets to come back for at least one game at Yankee Stadium after the long rehab so that his fans can pay respect and say goodbye under much better circumstances. If he manages that, then I hope too that he'll have at least one more appearance at Fenway and all the other AL East parks. Sad, sad, sad.
Very classy of a sawx fan to start a thread on Mariano. Agreed he is the best ever. He did it with class. No showmanship. Quietly and effectively.
fillde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
dundey
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 17, 05

Resorts: DVC - BLT & BWV, Bolton Valley Resort, Morritt's Grand, Dover Watch at Mount Snow
If you've ever heard Mo speak, there is no way you cannot like the man. Does not matter who you root for, he transcends the sport.

He will be back in 2013.
dundey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
susieq

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 8, 05

Resorts: Bay Voyage, Jamestown,R.I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueDonJ View Post
He's been a RedSox nemesis for way too long, sure, but he's one of those players whose exceptional talents transcend the rivalry. I don't think any Yankee will ever get as loud an ovation in Fenway Park as he did on Opening Day, 2005. Of course we Sox fanatics were happy that his blown saves were what forced the monster collapse by the Dreaded Yankees during our 2004 playoff run, but we also recognize that he pretty much stands alone as The Best Closer Ever. A lot of folks thought that ovation was simply bad sportsmanship, more taunting than adoration, but no. Real fans know that he deserved those accolades.

Couldn't have said it better. Even tho any and all members of Red Sox Nation would cringe when he walked out onto the field, no one can dispute his talent. May his recovery go swiftly and smoothly - but may we never have to face him!! (double edged sword! )
susieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 11:40 AM   #7
theo

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 21, 07

Resorts: 4 resorts, 6 weeks and NO MAS!
Thumbs up Yessa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundey View Post
<snip> ...there is no way you cannot like the man. Does not matter who you root for, he transcends the sport.
I'm no fan of the Yankees, but no reasonable person could possibly dislike Mariano Rivera. He's a great competitor and a thoroughly classy guy. Even when Red Sox fans have given him a "mock ovation", he still smiles broadly and remains the picture of composure. A class act, to be sure.

I hope Rivera heals and rehabs well, comes back healthy and has a stellar final year in 2013. I even hope that his final pitching appearance in Fenway Park is one in which he slams the door shut on a Boston rally. I'd actually like to see him walk off the Fenway mound a winner and tip his cap with that broad smile as his final "farewell".

Last edited by theo; May 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote