Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Exchanging

Exchanging Discuss all aspects of exchanging timeshare intervals here including RCI Points, whether through Exchange Companies (RCI, II and Others), or directly with other owners. Please no advertisements which belong elsewhere on TUG. Ads will be deleted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old May 4, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Bevie01

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 1, 06
RCI or II - need to join one or the other

we are owners at the Grand Mayan Resort and have two weeks each year and two "vacation fair" that we can also use. We like to go to our home resort in Nuevo Vallarta but due to family issues we can't this year. Our RCI membership expires this month and I'm looking to either renew with them or switching to II. We want to exchange into St John, USVI or Puerto Rico and II has more options than RCI. Any thoughts or suggestions from the experienced traders out there would be appreciated.
Bevie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2
momeason
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 28, 07

Resorts: Sheraton Desert Oasis
I really like Il and get great trades and very good customer service and lots of bonus weeks. I even have my own agent I call. I have not used RCI.
momeason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
MichaelColey

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 4, 10

Resorts: Summer Bay Orlando (3BR LO), Palace View Branson (4 Lockouts), Grandview (Points), CMV (UDI), DVC (SSR 25)
Would you have enough trading power to get into any of those places with II? Mexico is typically a pretty poor trader.

At least with RCI, you can combine several weeks (can the bonus weeks you get be deposited?) and get something you wouldn't have been able to see with a single week.

I've only started to use II. They do have some very nice resorts, but the quantity of inventory doesn't compare to RCI, at least for most of the places I have looked.
Old May 5, 2012, 08:06 AM   #4
bellesgirl
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Orlando Intl Resort Club, Buganvilias Resort, UVC Villa del Mar
You might want to consider SFX as an option. Many on this board really like SFX.

Last edited by bellesgirl; May 5, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
bellesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, 7 x Kauai Beach Villas
The Westin St. John is a very difficult exchange. There is far more demand than supply, it takes a strong trader, and Starwood owners have first priority for any availability. There is no reliable way to get it on an exchange. Your best bet is probably to rent from an owner - surprisingly, the rental rates are not as high as you would expect.

my webpage

Last edited by DeniseM; May 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
DeniseM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 05:40 PM   #6
sfwilshire
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Tybrisa, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I belong to both, but am not much of a fan of II. Their procedures don't fit my travel and planning styles as well as RCI. I would drop them if I didn't own one resort that is II only.

RCI has a lot of quirks, but it gets me a lot of good exchanges and I've been relatively happy with them through the years.

Sheila
sfwilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 07:55 PM   #7
stanleyu
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 19, 08
For a number of years we had both - two different time shares, one with II, the other with RCI. I REALLY liked II's last minute (60 days, I believe) trades, where you could trade anything for anything (week for week, but upgrade for free). We used to regularly trade into Orlando (which has a great over-abundance of units) in that window and would get 2 and 3 bedroom units for our limited kitchen 1BR trade. I knew I could always wait till the end and have no problem getting a trade, except possibly in the Christmas and Easter weeks.

What I didn't like about II was that my limited kitchen and floating weeks had almost no trading power except that Orlando area.

our RCI week had similar trading problems, but now with RCI points we can combine several year's worth to get a better trade. MUCH better from our perspective. And what really sold us on RCI is the ability to trade into Disney Vacation Club.

One other plan I really like is under the VRI umbrella. With that we could use a poor trade and upgrade to a better unit by paying an "out of season" fee. Made our trade much more valuable.
stanleyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
momeason
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 28, 07

Resorts: Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have been trading with Wyndham which is only a fair trader in II. If you are flexible, you can get great trades. We go to Marriotts most of the time.
momeason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 11:55 AM   #9
sptung

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 5, 10
I love II, not so much RCI. RCI fees are quite a bit higher than II. II also has Starwood, Marriott, Four Seasons and Hyatt and Shell. RCI only has a couple of older Starwood resorts.
sptung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
MichaelColey

TUG Member

Resorts: Summer Bay Orlando (3BR LO), Palace View Branson (4 Lockouts), Grandview (Points), CMV (UDI), DVC (SSR 25)
RCI also has a handful of Marriott and Shell properties, but nowhere near as much as II. If you don't own in the chain, though, isn't it fairly hard to get prime units or weeks through II? I know that one of the properties I would like to exchange for on II is Harborside at Atlantis, and I've been told that it's just about impossible without Starwood preference.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:40 PM   #11
sptung

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 5, 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelColey View Post
RCI also has a handful of Marriott and Shell properties, but nowhere near as much as II. If you don't own in the chain, though, isn't it fairly hard to get prime units or weeks through II? I know that one of the properties I would like to exchange for on II is Harborside at Atlantis, and I've been told that it's just about impossible without Starwood preference.
I thought all Shell TS moved from RCI in 2011 to II in Jan 2012?
sptung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2012, 05:14 PM   #12
MichaelColey

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptung View Post
I thought all Shell TS moved from RCI in 2011 to II in Jan 2012?
Hmmm, maybe it was before that when I saw them? Looking now, I don't see any.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13
chellej

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 13, 05

Resorts: Island Park Village, Palace Resorts, Twin Rivers, Shell Points, Sand Pebbles, Pend Orielle Shores Resort
Yes, Shell is now with II.

I like RCI for the variety but not the high fees. I can get quite a few exchanges for my 55 TPU week

II a really have gotten great exchanges and shell seems to trade very well.

This year, I got 2 of my Hawaii weeks, Hanalei Bay and Maui Schooner from trading Places.

Next Fall, I booked Molokai through Platinum.

The thing about the last 2 are no membership fees and lower exchange fees.

I only used SFX once and my week wasn't one of their "preffered" week and it did not do very well but they seem to have a realtionship with Grand Mayan so you might do very well with them
chellej is offline   Reply With Quote