• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Happy to give away: Grandview Las Vegas- Two 1br suites - biennial

DJryeno

Reaction score
I know you don't need a life story on this but here's a little background: Purchased this back in Dec. 2010 with my roommate who I thought was a good "friend"--we'd known each other for more than 10 years before becoming roommates.

Long story short: he turned out to be a deadbeat (really bad) so I need to give this away. It's not that I can't afford it; rather, I want absolutely no financial ties to this person ever again. I even tried to legally take his name off the property but can't be done until it's paid off. I can't wait that long.

On to the details:
-Grandview Las Vegas
-Two 1-br suites
-122,000 points every two years (or 61000/year) -- 61,000 pts left for this year, which I understand is probably at or near the top as far as points go
-1 week every two years
-Last week of September

I'm very serious about getting rid of this unless someone here has any good ideas. I'm willing to pay maintenance fees for 2013 as well as any transfer costs, closing etc.

Timeshare knowledge isn't my strong suit so please let me know if you need more details and I'll do my best. Thanks.

Kzel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me how much is remaining to be paid on this timeshare and how much the annual maintenance fees are?

DJryeno

Reaction score
Maintenance fee was $342.50 for 2012

Kzel, this is still a relatively new purchase so there's still a significant amount left. I'm paying about $300/month with 8 years left; last payment slated for Jan 1, 2021.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Kzel, this is still a relatively new purchase so there's still a significant amount left. I'm paying about $300/month with 8 years left; last payment slated for Jan 1, 2021.

So you are saying you still owe about $28,000 on this, and you are looking for someone to take that over?

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same question as the OP, and then more. What group is this unit affiliated with? Are you asking for someone too take over the MFs and the annual payments? If yes to that latter question, to me this is NO BARGAIN. Just saying. I need bargains to be free.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Up Against The Free & Clear Giveaway Competition.

I'm paying about $300/month with 8 years left; last payment slated for Jan 1, 2021.
The eBay el cheapos & the TUG-BBS el freebos are mostly free & clear.

That makes it more difficult to get somebody to take over payments on 1 with money still owing.

Full Disclosure: We acquired a TUG-BBS Grandview 1BR giveaway that was free & clear. But free does not necessarily mean completely free; we paid the closing costs & the resort transfer fee. By contrast, some of the eBay specials come with free closing & free resort transfer.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not gonna sell, Kzel. Wish you the best with it.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of them for sale on ebay, all paid off. And all for a fraction of your payment. So I am afraid nobody is gonna accept your timeshare gift. Better keep paying and renting it out.

DJryeno

Reaction score
Lots of them for sale on ebay, all paid off. And all for a fraction of your payment. So I am afraid nobody is gonna accept your timeshare gift. Better keep paying and renting it out.

Thank you--this is what I needed to hear.

So am I just stuck with this jack*ss for 8 more years? Do I have any options? Like I said it's not the money. I just don't want to keep paying for something that he has his name on and might try to use without my knowledge.

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you--this is what I needed to hear.

So am I just stuck with this jack*ss for 8 more years? Do I have any options? Like I said it's not the money. I just don't want to keep paying for something that he has his name on and might try to use without my knowledge.

Yes, I know but you can't expect someone else to pay for you in nowadays market where timeshare is really given away for nothing or for only a small fee. Other options are only legally: you might sue the other owner for not paying but that's all.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Easy & Trouble-Free Options.

Do I have any options? Like I said it's not the money. I just don't want to keep paying for something that he has his name on and might try to use without my knowledge.
If it's just combined ownership that knots your sox, you could get the guy to sign his part over to you via quitclaim deed. That takes him off the hook in favor of you, & gives you total ownership & control of the timeshare unit, in addition to sole responsibility for paying what's owed (ongoing use fees as well as purchase debt).

That would also involve informing the resort about the changed ownership arrangement, possibly including paying another "resort transfer" fee to get the former co-owner's name off the timeshare resort's owner rolls.

Or you could just walk -- pay nothing further by way of use fees or installments on the note -- then stand back & wait for the hit on your credit record.

Another possibility is letting the resort know ahead of time that's what you intend, then seeing whether they'd accept some sort of negotiated payoff to get you out out of it. But with 2 owners' names on the account, they might need to hear that from both owners, not just 1.

BTW, when you're trying to sell the unit or give it away & another owner is involved, that person also has to sign off on the paperwork involved or it's no go.

Good luck. And welcome to TUG.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bshmerlie

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a happier note you actually have a pretty good timeshare with an excellent MF to point ratio. At this point you've gotta make the best of it. If you're the one making the payments then book your vacations early so there wont be any points to steal. You're paying $300 a month you might as well enjoy it. Then when its paid off you wont have to give it away for free. You can get some decent money for a Grandview with 122,000 points. ..just not that much.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can look into paying it off early. If you financed through the resort you probably did not get a good interest rate. You could check with a credit union about getting a line of credit and transfer the whole balance. You could then immediately get your "friend" off the deed and pay it back as quickly as possible.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or walk away . . . at the risk of your credit

Margariet

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is hope, someone just made a bid of $660 for 49.000 points Grandview! And someone is asking $4.800 for 98.000 points on ebay!! :eek: :eek:

DJryeno

Reaction score
Lots of good information in here. I really appreciate it.

I don't think I'll do the "walk away" scenario. My credit has always been pretty good and I don't want to mess with it.

I think I will seriously explore the quit deed idea. I'm fine with keeping the place as long as there is a way to get him off the deed. I understand he needs to sign and I have little doubt he wouldnt. Plus I could go on some nice trips in the interim.

Again, I appreciate all the knowledge. If there are any other ideas floating around out there, I'd love to hear them.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure a quit claim will work in this scenario as the title is probably in the mortgage holder's name. They'd probably need to be involved in removing him.

Renny30

TUG Member
Reaction score
On a happier note you actually have a pretty good timeshare with an excellent MF to point ratio. At this point you've gotta make the best of it. If you're the one making the payments then book your vacations early so there wont be any points to steal. You're paying $300 a month you might as well enjoy it. Then when its paid off you wont have to give it away for free. You can get some decent money for a Grandview with 122,000 points. ..just not that much.

Great advice!