• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
More cars soon come...

StJ to increase rental cars 100%
http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/local-news/2012/10/01/st-john-car-rental-quota-rises

{editorial: likely from the outcry over allowing StT rental cars onto StJ - surprised that the StJ taxi 'mafia' strangle hold has lost its grip - but this should results in lower prices for StJ visitors}

on a side note... I just noticed that this thread just crossed over 100K views - wow!
of course, 10K were mine... :D
{btw - K=1000 - at least for most... ;)}

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Ted's Supper Club Video

and on to more important things...

YouTube video of Ted's Supper Club on StJ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nXisKHWs7U&feature=player_embedded

for those paying attention to DnRs past travels -
Ted has come to our WSJ VG villa and prepared an anniversary dinner - one of the best meals that we have ever had.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ VGV 2013 MFs

MFs posted - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1380337&postcount=51

Terrace Suite (studio): $1443.48
Townhouse Suite (1Bd): $1924.71
2-Bd Townhouse: $2405.94 (MF=$1954.98, RR=$450.96)
2-Bd Premium: $2886.97
3-Bd Pool Villa/Premium: $2887.17

1.8% decrease from 2012, which already had a large decrease from 2011

I showed the MF and RR for 2Bd TH as a reference - percentages are the same across villa types.

Real Estate taxes (separately) have been billed thru 2010. ~$130 for 2Bd TH villa (for reference).

Remodel/Refurbish essentially complete, RR at resonable level, 2 Owner-Reps on HOA BOD, transparency vastly improved, and resort has not sunk into sea...

Are we still suing ourselves?

SF GIANTS! (2012 World Series Champs)
Let Panda Eat!

Last edited:

islandguy

Reaction score
Work Continues at STJ

Received an email from Starwood about Maintenance at STJ in the coming weeks. I'm headed there next week for 3 wonderful weeks and I don't think the maint will be a major issue. What they said in the email:

"...we need to notify you of a villa maintenance project that will affect your stay.

During the upcoming weeks, the resort will perform annual villa maintenance in the Virgin Grand phase. We have been notified that while undergoing maintenance your villa will be unavailable during your upcoming stay. The resort staff has arranged for your reservation to be placed in an alternate villa in the Virgin Grand phase and, rest assured, will do everything possible to ensure your satisfaction..."

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Update from WSJ VGV BOD (Phil and Bob)

November 7, 2012

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:

We are happy to report to you that maintenance fees are going down for the third year in a row, as reflected in the proposed budget that you have just received. This decrease comes despite a 19% increase (to 56 cents per kilowatt hour) in what we have to pay the local power company, and a 12% increase in what we have to pay for insurance (a rate increase that is based on insurance losses in all of North America, not something specific to Virgin Grand or St. John). Most of the savings have resulted from certain reduced operating costs, particularly less use of electricity as a result of the better insulation and other energy-saving features of our newly refurbished units. Some of it results from sound conservation practices by owners, such as turning off the air conditioning while you are at the pool or the beach. Click here to view a chart showing a five year comparison of the average maintenance fees {note: not linked here - look below at next post, DnR}

During the budget workshop in which we recently participated, we particularly discussed ways in which we might further reduce the cost of energy, as it is a significant element of the annual maintenance fee and could rise higher in the future. (For purposes of comparison with the 56 cent per kilowatt hour rate that we must pay in St. John, residential rates for electricity are generally under 15 cents per kilowatt hour on the East Coast). As you know, ever since we joined the Board of Directors, we have strongly supported the installation of photo-voltaic (solar) cells so that we could generate our own electricity.

The first phase of the installation of these cells is almost complete; cells on the flat portion of the roofs of buildings 41, 43 and 44 are already generating power, and the installation on the roof of building 42 will be complete soon. These cells will save us about $13,000 per year. The next phase of installation, to be paid for by funds from the 2012 budget, will occur during the next few months and will save almost as much money.

For 2013, we approved a third phase of installation of these cells in other areas of the property, such as parts of the roofs of the hillside buildings. We also discussed the possibility of installing additional solar panels on the ground, and of supplementing our solar energy with some small, quiet turbine generators of a type that the Board of Directors of the SVO resort in Kauai recently decided to install there. But we postponed any decisions on a fourth phase until next year, pending further study and more experience with the solar panels that we have already ordered and installed.

To reduce energy consumption, we continue to move in the direction of using LED rather than incandescent lighting. Each of the pool villa units has 47 overhead light bulbs! In buildings 43 and 44 the incandescent bulbs will be replaced with LED bulbs during the next few months.

Our budget for 2013 includes no increase over 2012 in the replacement reserve budget and no increase over 2012 in the special contingency fund that we created last year to pay the approximately $1.5 million deductible, should it ever be required, on the policy that insures us against major damage from a hurricane. You may recall that we began this contingency fund to protect us against a sudden need for a special assessment if a hurricane causes enormous damage to our property.

By the end of 2013, this fund will have accrued approximately $565,000. Last year we commissioned a special one-time evaluation of our replacement reserve requirements from an outside consulting firm that specializes in replacement reserve studies. We recently received that report and are studying it. Our preliminary analysis is that it will require, at most, fairly minor adjustments in our replacement reserve funding. In many respects, our management company's projections of future costs were more conservative than those from the outside consultant (and reasonably so), because our management company had better information about the greater cost of replacing furniture and equipment in St. John compared to replacement costs in the continental United States.

The poor economy continues to affect our collection of maintenance fees. A little more than 5% of owners have been prevented from using their units because they have not paid their maintenance fees. Our attorneys are in the process of foreclosing on these units so that we can resell them to new owners who will pay the annual fees, thereby keeping those fees down for the rest of us (who have been required to pay their share of the operating expenses in the meantime). Approximately 30 owners have avoided the costs of foreclosure proceedings by relinquishing their deeds to the association. We resold some units last year and will sell more units when we have accumulated a critical mass.

If you can no longer afford to pay the maintenance fee and want to relinquish your unit to avoid foreclosure proceedings, please contact one of us and we will put you in touch with the people at SVO who can tell you whether you are eligible to do so.

Improvements in the resort continue to be made, many of them as a result of suggestions that we have received from owners:

•The wireless internet system has been upgraded. Bandwidth is now 2000% greater than it was before the refurbishments!
•Shelving is being installed in the linen closets in the hillside buildings.
•Additional towel hooks will soon be installed in bathrooms that currently have only one hook.
•To deter owners from using pool chairs as additional balcony seating, a high-quality folding chair, suitable for balcony use, will be placed in the closet of each two-bedroom unit during 2013. (Please DO NOT remove these chairs from the unit.)
•A portion of each of the hillside decks will be outfitted with a type of awning to provide shade, and additional seating has already been placed on these pool decks.
•A lock will be installed on the freecycling shed, which your room key will open. This feature may increase the amount of free material that is housed in the shed. Incidentally, we have heard from some owners that they have found many useful items in the shed, including beach toys and beach chairs, and from other owners that the inventory has been sparse whenever they checked the shed. The amount of equipment in the shed seems to rise and decline precipitously during weekends, so our best advice, if you want to find books, equipment, or unopened food or beverages in the shed, is to check it as soon as you arrive and again at other times.
•New kitchen appliances will be installed by year end in buildings 43 and 44 (except unit 4415).
•Some electrical outlets in the studio and one-bedroom units will be outfitted to accommodate four rather than two plugs, because owners have asked for more outlets for laptops and other electronic devices.
•Trees will be trimmed to improve the views from the balconies of the hillside buildings.

As you know, the management company has been working for several months to create a website that will give us both an online voluntary owners’ directory and a bulletin board on which owners can list their units for possible sale, rental, or exchange (as well as purchases and rentals that they desire). The project has moved forward, but the vendor has moved more slowly than we had hoped. We continue to monitor progress and expect that the bulletin board will be online early in 2013 if not by the end of 2012.

Finally, here is an update on the two lawsuits on which we reported in June:

•In the case filed by the contractor who had worked on some of the refurbishments, the attorneys for the Association and the contractor are discussing settlement. The Association has filed its response and counterclaims against the contractor in the court proceedings. The lien filed by the contractor has been bonded and no longer burdens the condominium property.
•In the case that dissatisfied owners brought, Starwood moved to dismiss the complaint, the court ordered the plaintiffs to file an amended complaint. They did file an amended complaint, and Starwood has moved to dismiss the amended complaint. That motion remains before the court.

We hope that like us you will continue to enjoy our newly refurbished resort.

Sincerely,
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Bob Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

Last edited:

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apple TV/Netflix/Hulu

We head down in 8 days (!) and were wondering what works for TV watching. We have a BV unit and bought an Apple TV this summer. Anyone know if I can hook it up to the television? Would have to be able to connect to the room wireless and tv would have to have an HDMI input. Would love to be able to stream from my iPad to TV, which is what I mainly use it for.

Also, I read elsewhere that Netflix streaming doesn't work in USVI but Hulu does. Thought I did log onto Netflix last year at WSJ, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anybody have experience with either in their rooms recently?

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was excited to see someone other than me posting on this thread...

Sorry, can't help. We do not turn on the TV during our 2 weeks at WSJ. I have an Apple TV at home - and the problem will be the hook-up with the TV-AppleTV (obviously). Not sure you ned to worry about the room wireless if you plan to stream from iTunes or apple device.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was excited to see someone other than me posting on this thread...

:hysterical:

Anyway, when I bring my Apple TV to a resort, I just connect it via the HDMI port. Almost every flat panel out there has one. The real issue will be how you connect it to the wireless network, and there are plenty of other posts on that topic on TUG.

Tfleming675

Reaction score
:hysterical:

Anyway, when I bring my Apple TV to a resort, I just connect it via the HDMI port. Almost every flat panel out there has one. The real issue will be how you connect it to the wireless network, and there are plenty of other posts on that topic on TUG.

Connecting it is easy. The real issue is the poor bandwidth at the resort. The experience will be very very bad!

Just got back from WSJ, had three TVs and never turned one on for a week.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
We head down in 8 days (!) and were wondering what works for TV watching. We have a BV unit and bought an Apple TV this summer. Anyone know if I can hook it up to the television? Would have to be able to connect to the room wireless and tv would have to have an HDMI input. Would love to be able to stream from my iPad to TV, which is what I mainly use it for.

Also, I read elsewhere that Netflix streaming doesn't work in USVI but Hulu does. Thought I did log onto Netflix last year at WSJ, but maybe I'm mis-remembering. Anybody have experience with either in their rooms recently?

Thanks!

At WSJ now. Here are the answers to those who may have the same questions in the future.

1) Hulu and Netflix work. Amazon thinks you are outside USA so can't get their videos.

2) no HDMI input on tv

3) wifi slow - appx 350k with free plan - but AT&T gets 4G reception (no Verizon). So I can watch on my att iPhone with decent speed but can't stream to tv while my verizon iPad is big enough to watch but too slow

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
3) wifi slow - appx 350k with free plan - but AT&T gets 4G reception (no Verizon). So I can watch on my att iPhone with decent speed but can't stream to tv while my verizon iPad is big enough to watch but too slow

Is there a paid plan which is faster?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Yes. Recollection is that marginally faster is $9.95/day and 1MB (or maybe a bit more) is $16.95/day. Pretty steep, in my opinion.

Is this an offering from the resort itself, or from a third party provider, such as Verizon? When we travel to WSJ, we're very reluctant to use our phones because it's an international location. And the internet connection speed is dismal. If my husband could bring his work laptop instead, and connect at a faster rate, that would be an option, and perhaps worth the $17/day fee (especially since he could expense it).

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carriers and Phones

In my experience with both my phones and those of guests:

• Verizon is non-existant in the USVI. Any use other than texting is expensive roaming
  • AT&T performed well and is not roaming at the resort. On the north shore, however, the signal from the BVI was stronger. If you don't or can't set your phone where it will not roam, either leave it off or be prepared to pay
  • t-mobile worked at the resort. No knowledge of other parts of the island

I bought an AT&T prepaid before our last trip as I am on Verizon at home. Worked great. Considering an AT&T wifi hotspot device to bring along this year to enable using my Slingbox.

As always, just my experience...don't feel the need to pile on if you disagree.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
In my experience with both my phones and those of guests:

• Verizon is non-existant in the USVI. Any use other than texting is expensive roaming
  • AT&T performed well and is not roaming at the resort. On the north shore, however, the signal from the BVI was stronger. If you don't or can't set your phone where it will not roam, either leave it off or be prepared to pay
  • t-mobile worked at the resort. No knowledge of other parts of the island

I bought an AT&T prepaid before our last trip as I am on Verizon at home. Worked great. Considering an AT&T wifi hotspot device to bring along this year to enable using my Slingbox.

As always, just my experience...don't feel the need to pile on if you disagree.

Sprint worked well for us on St John, and it was free. But be careful if you are out on the east end of the island. There (Leinster Bay) the tower you pick up is in the BVI, and you will be charged international fees.
--bp

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a reservation for WSJ Hillside for April 6-13 (Staroption exchange), but I'm a little confused about the room type.

My confirmation says I got a 1BR Premium Villa. I could have also gotten a studio. When I went to look at the villas, I could only find a 1BR Townhouse. It seems like the studio would actually be nicer for just 2 people, since the shower is downstairs. Looking at the layout of the two units, it doesn't look like the townhouse is that much more spacious.

I'm thinking I might just save the Staroptions to take another trip later in the year. Any opinions?

Are there any units (of either type - I'll see if I can get the studio tomorrow) that are more preferable that I should add as a request to my reservation?

How long does it take to walk from the resort to the beach in Cruz Bay? Is there some sort of shuttle or are golf carts available?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There is only one type of a 1Bd that I am aware of and it is townhouse style (link below confirms) and has upper floor (thus TH style) that contains a Master Bedroom with a connected Bathroom and does have a bathroom downstairs as well (with a shower over tub) next to the entrance - great for wet sandy stuff.

See link:
http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/westin_stjohn_resort_villas/onebedroom_townhouse.html

IMO - we would take the 1Bd over the studio. More spacious volume wise, and better view as it is on the top floor. 750 sqft is pretty roomy plus much better light.

There are golf shuttles. It is not a far walk - especially down - people make it seem worse than it is. It is further for B33/34. If we go down to the resort - which isn't that often - the walk down is easy (unless there is a shoe issue with walking too far in shoes that should have never been bought... ), then we take the shuttle. We take the shuttle back - it stops at check-in building. Shuttle availability depends on time of day/nite.

Really do not sweat this stuff - and take the poor reviews with a grin of salt since people tend to only review if they had issues - and often the issue is them (IMO).

A good adage for the USVI is 'adapt' - keep this in mind - and go slow (which is fast paced at island speed) and all will be well. StJ is a great place if laying around on a beach is your idea of a great vacation. There are something like 52 beaches on the island - the Westin beach is not one of the best (but does have bar service...)

I just made our plane reservations today for June - can't wait.

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd take a tent on the (not so nice) beach (with bar service!) to be at WSJ. Vacationing on WSJ is not about the room! :)

The number of SOs you were charged will dictate which type of room you've received. Go .... and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.