Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > General Discussion > TUG Lounge

TUG Lounge The place for all discussions that don't fit into the other defined forum areas. Posts discussing politics, religion, and controversial social issues that are not directly related to timesharing are not permitted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 20 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old May 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Tia
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
3 Ohio women held hostage now free

Scary but a good ending in the news today

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-arrested?lite

Makes me wonder about the Aruba girl that went missing...
Old May 7, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Marriott,Wyndham,FL,SC,TX,CA & MX
Natalie Holloway went missing in Aruba which is surrounded by water. Not much chance she's been holed up in some house there, but then again the authorities in Aruba didn't give the victim's family much support or so I've heard. So maybe there is hope for Natalie Holloway...but really there needs to be pressure from US Citizens for that case to be re-opened. (Might I suggest a travel boycott to Aruba? I sure wouldn't ever go there after what happened to that poor girl and the awful treatment the Holloway family got from Aruban officials.)

As for the three girls found in Ohio after a decade of being missing, I can only say this is a miracle and such wonderful news today. And Mr Charles Ramsey the neighborhood man who heard screams and aided in the rescue is to be applauded for not turning a blind eye to someone in need. Cleveland needs to give him the key to the city or something...he could have just ignored screams, especially if it's a bad neighborhood...but he chose to get involved. God Bless Mr Ramsey!
Carol C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
AwayWeGo

TUG Member

Resorts: Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL), Vacation Village At Parkway [points] (Kissimmee FL).
More Happy Endings Needed.

Pray for Katherine & Sheila Lyon, who have been missing since 1975.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.
The Chief Of Staff since 1964.
Playing horn since 1955. Breathing air since 1942.
AwayWeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #4
presley

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 20, 11

Resorts: HGVC, Shell, WM
I'm thankful that they are safe. I cannot imagine what they all went through for 10 years, being kept under the radar like that.
presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Phydeaux

BBS Reg. Date: May 20, 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol C View Post
Might I suggest a travel boycott to Aruba? I sure wouldn't ever go there after what happened to that poor girl and the awful treatment the Holloway family got from Aruban officials.!
Just curious, did you also boycott your travel to Mexico when Jon Hammer, the young ex Marine was tossed in jail, beaten, and chained to a bunk and kept in a cell for 5 months for making the error of bringing his grandfathers shotgun. That he voluntarily declared at the border no less?
Phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
SMHarman
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jan 14, 13

Resorts: WKV EY Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Scary but a good ending in the news today

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-arrested?lite

Makes me wonder about the Aruba girl that went missing...
Reminds me of this story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jamelske
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
Just curious, did you also boycott your travel to Mexico when Jon Hammer, the young ex Marine was tossed in jail, beaten, and chained to a bunk and kept in a cell for 5 months for making the error of bringing his grandfathers shotgun. That he voluntarily declared at the border no less?
Yes, I did in fact boycott until after he was released. I can and do personally boycott products, places, etc when injustice bothers the crap out of me. Thanks for asking!
Old May 7, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member

Here's some astonishing new info...

I put in bold the part of this yahoo news article that strikes me as odd. If the community is so tight knit, how is it that 3 girls can be held captive in a house for 10 years? Oh...and to think one of the perps was a school bus driver just sickens me, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...141444873.html

An American flag and a Puerto Rican flag hung outside the front door of the house Tuesday. The Puerto Rican flag bothered Lucy Delgado, a nearby resident with family living in the largely Puerto Rican neighborhood. "It doesn't deserve to be there," Delgado said of the flag. "This is like, oh my God crazy stuff like this should never happen here."

Delgado described the community as tight knit. "Everybody knows each others business," she said.

Police declined to provide specific details about the home where the women were kept or its condition upon their arrival on Monday. They said the home is an active crime scene and detectives were processing it through the night.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:27 PM   #9
laurac260

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 28, 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol C View Post
I put in bold the part of this yahoo news article that strikes me as odd. If the community is so tight knit, how is it that 3 girls can be held captive in a house for 10 years? Oh...and to think one of the perps was a school bus driver just sickens me, too.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...141444873.html

An American flag and a Puerto Rican flag hung outside the front door of the house Tuesday. The Puerto Rican flag bothered Lucy Delgado, a nearby resident with family living in the largely Puerto Rican neighborhood. "It doesn't deserve to be there," Delgado said of the flag. "This is like, oh my God crazy stuff like this should never happen here."

Delgado described the community as tight knit. "Everybody knows each others business," she said.

Police declined to provide specific details about the home where the women were kept or its condition upon their arrival on Monday. They said the home is an active crime scene and detectives were processing it through the night.
This may very well have been a tight knit community, but it doesn't seem the perp wanted to be one of the "threads". He put himself out there "just enough" to keep folks from wondering about him. Ironic that he has that much self control, yet he had no self control when he chose to do what he did. Sad that he didn't use his that sort of ability for good, instead of evil.
laurac260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Beaglemom3

TUG Member

Resorts: Allen House-London, Harborside Inn-Martha's Vineyard, The Mariner House-Nantucket, Marriott Custom House Platinum x2
The good people of Aruba closed their businesses, schools, etc. to go out and search for Natalie. They volunteered their time and efforts to find this young woman on their own time & dime.

My information comes from being in Aruba and speaking to the locals soon after Natalie's disappearance. Many had dedicated themselves to search for her.

As for me, I could not punish these folks based on their actions. But, that's just me. I did feel differently prior to going to Aruba and had a knee-jerk reaction with wanting to boycott, etc., but I kept an open mind and learned the other side of the story.

My cab driver was the brother of the lead investigator. He would go out with the various volunteer search parties on his off-time from work.

Last edited by Beaglemom3; May 9, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Beaglemom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Sea Six

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 15, 05

Resorts: Club Regency - Marco Island Vistana Villages - Orlando Vistana Resort - Orlando Westin Lagunamar - Cancun, Mexico
At least Joran van der Sloot is in jail for 28 years for murder. Meanwhile, back in Ohio, why were two of the Castro brothers released?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:45 PM   #12
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, 3 X Kauai Beach Villas, Edinburg Residence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
At least Joran van der Sloot is in jail for 28 years for murder. Meanwhile, back in Ohio, why were two of the Castro brothers released?
Common sense says that the captives indicated that they weren't involved...
Old May 9, 2013, 05:52 PM   #13
tfranklin
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 16, 09

Resorts: Cypress Harbour Surf Club Daytona Beach Regency
I pray for a miracle for Brittany Drexel, a teenager from my home here in Rochester, NY who went missing in Myrtle Beach about 4 years ago. I can't possibly imagine the horror of not knowing year after year!
tfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Sea Six

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 15, 05

Resorts: Club Regency - Marco Island Vistana Villages - Orlando Vistana Resort - Orlando Westin Lagunamar - Cancun, Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseM View Post
Common sense says that the captives indicated that they weren't involved...
Common sense would be if the brothers reported what was going on to the police about 9 years ago. These guys knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:43 PM   #15
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, 3 X Kauai Beach Villas, Edinburg Residence
Quote:
Common sense would be if the brothers reported what was going on to the police about 9 years ago. These guys knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it.
How do you know that?
Old May 9, 2013, 06:51 PM   #16
Phydeaux

Quote:
How do you know that?
Common sense?
Old May 9, 2013, 07:24 PM   #17
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

One of my brothers is in my house once a year for Christmas, the other one hasn't been in my house for years. They have no idea who I have chained in the basement...
Old May 9, 2013, 08:12 PM   #18
csxjohn

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 25, 12

Resorts: Tropic Shores, 1br.
Quote:
.... These guys knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it.
Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions without knowing what really happened.

A friend of mine played in a band with the kidnapper and no one had any idea what was going on in that house. Should my friend be held also?

Let's wait for the facts to come out before we start hanging people.

Support live, local music!
csxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:13 PM   #19
csxjohn

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 25, 12

Resorts: Tropic Shores, 1br.
Quote:
One of my brothers is in my house once a year for Christmas, the other one hasn't been in my house for years. They have no idea who I have chained in the basement...
I don't suppose you'll give us a little hint so we can try to figure it out?

Support live, local music!
csxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:17 PM   #20
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csxjohn View Post
I don't suppose you'll give us a little hint so we can try to figure it out?
They are Tuggers who wouldn't behave themselves...
Old May 10, 2013, 10:02 AM   #21
ace2000
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 17, 06
Quote:
They are Tuggers who wouldn't behave themselves...
Anyone heard from Ride recently???
ace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:30 AM   #22
geekette

Sometimes there are things you simply do not know about people close to you. We are not open books. Plenty of news items over time of people conducting "secret lives".

I won't be hanging the brothers and assume there was no evidence to hold them. They may be just as horrified as the rest of us, but also may feel deep guilt and anguish for not figuring it out.

Common sense is not evidence.
geekette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Phydeaux

..meanwhile his mother and children are calling him a "monster".
Old May 10, 2013, 01:37 PM   #24
presley

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 20, 11

Resorts: HGVC, Shell, WM
I've seen statements by the creep's daughter, his mother, his sister and his BIL. They all seem very traumatized by finding this out. I would imagine that his brothers are feeling the same way. This guy is obviously a pro at manipulating those around him. I wonder how many people have been emotionally ruined thanks to this creep.
presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Ridewithme38

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 14, 10

Resorts: Wyndham Patriots Place, Fixed Week 27, Lockoff, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Biannual, 2br, Fixed week 34 & Gold PLUS
A small house, with the only thing seperating the women for freedom being, drywall, glass and/or plywood....

Let me ask the other ladies here....Do you REALLY think over a 10yr period there was NO chance for that girl to escape if she wanted to? What if it was you....You don't think over 3,650 days you could have figured SOMETHING out?