• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official Secrets of OWNERS (please) Four Seasons Aviara Thread

schwma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Summits Pool

I'll be spending my kickoff initial visit to FSA the last two weeks in July with my spouse. Question about the Summits pool: Are they strict about the hours (especially if you have no children and are quiet)? I enjoy evening jacuzzi and a leisurely soak in the pool when it's quiet.

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be spending my kickoff initial visit to FSA the last two weeks in July with my spouse. Question about the Summits pool: Are they strict about the hours (especially if you have no children and are quiet)? I enjoy evening jacuzzi and a leisurely soak in the pool when it's quiet.

Hi

Pool hours are 7:00am to 11:00pm ... did you want to go after that ? Skinny dip..:)

I can't comment on July but we sure saw a big difference the spring break weeks vs most weeks in Feb ... I am assuming there are a bunch of kids in July ...but do not know this first hand ... If you like the entire place to yourself ... come in Jan or Feb ( skip presidents week )

Point on HDMI cable earlier ....they have extra HDMI cables in both studio & living room.

Now - to the letter on golf from Park Hyatt to FS ... no more weekly rate .. hmm ...was at a social party a few weeks back with Aviara golfers and some course staff ... they seems to think 30-40% of play on course was Residence members ... Hyatt is sure pissed over FS starting t build their own restaurant and spa ( I imagine ) ...but it does seem Hyatt will also suffer the loss of play. Note - for me the 7 day golf rate never worked as I can't golf that much (and stay married) ...so it doesn't impact me much. I like the Crossings for golf and with a Crossing Club card golf is very reasonable and - boy - does my handicap shoot up after playing there 10 times .... also been told the Del Mar CC is a very nice place and got hi marks from the golfers I spoke with at various owners meetings this year.

Greg

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
FS starting t build their own restaurant and spa ( I imagine ) .

I didn't know they were doing this. Where is being built? Do you have any idea what the timeline is?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I didn't know they were doing this. Where is being built? Do you have any idea what the timeline is?

Here's what was posted on the owner's website

Post Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Four Seasons Aviara announces a new, on-property restaurant and spa coming soon to owners.

Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara is proud to announce that beginning January 2015, construction will commence on a new spa and restaurant on the Aviara property.

We are excited about this significant addition and are confident that the end result will greatly enhance the Residence Club owner and guest experience. Nevertheless, we are also keenly aware that the project is a considerable endeavor that may, at times, result in some minor inconveniences. We think Arnold Palmer put it best when he said "The road to success is always under construction"!

With that said we’d like to inform you that during the restaurant construction phase — from January 2 through March 31, 2015 — the Meadows lobby area, fitness center, locker rooms and pool area will all be closed. In addition, all Meadows guest rooms will also be closed during this period so as not to infringe upon our guests’ comfort and enjoyment.

We will continue to operate all services — including our activities program, our food and beverage services and guest reception — from the Summits Village.

We appreciate your understanding and are excited to share with you more details regarding the restaurant and spa in the near future.

schwma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pool hours are 7:00am to 11:00pm ... did you want to go after that ? Skinny dip..:)
Skinny dip... LOL Tempting, but I'd run the risk of being harpooned!
I doubt I'd want to swim after 11:00 P.M., but I asked because the Summits Pool Details on the owners' site indicates the hours are sunrise to sunset. I overlooked the Meadows pool hours. Good to know at least that pool is open at night.
Thanks for answering, Greg!
Mark

EMMISE

Reaction score
Recent stay at aviara

Kia Classic took over resort. News as of Monday FS Residence club owners no access on tennis courts and no privileges for rates at golf course.

Jan 2 thru Mid April close down Meadows to renovate with new restarant and health club with all amenities.

I heard some news regarding FS and Park Hyatt lawsuit?? supposedly Park Hyatt wanted a $ 50 dollar daily resort fee added to each unit to extend the privilege of paying hourly court fees. Thank you FS for not accepting this offer
and look forward to the renovations in 2015.

Best local restarants we always count on go to restarants are Bistro West and Via Italia in Encinatas.:)

schwma

TUG Member
Reaction score

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kia Classic took over resort. News as of Monday FS Residence club owners no access on tennis courts and no privileges for rates at golf course.

Will miss the tennis court privileges..

Pomme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kindly suggest

I am interested in FS Aviara, and wonder about the price. Is the price of the week are lower because of the maintenance cost is so high?

As I see many people actually manage/make money out of their weeks. It's hardly possible to do that with this place, correct? I see people renting out this place only a bit more than what they pay for the maintenance fee.

For me, if I"m really not that rich, renting from owner would be much cheaper?

If I buy, every other year week, can I split it to use 3/4 nights each year?

Thank you very much in advance.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kindly suggest

I am interested in FS Aviara, and wonder about the price. Is the price of the week are lower because of the maintenance cost is so high?

As I see many people actually manage/make money out of their weeks. It's hardly possible to do that with this place, correct? I see people renting out this place only a bit more than what they pay for the maintenance fee.

For me, if I"m really not that rich, renting from owner would be much cheaper?

If I buy, every other year week, can I split it to use 3/4 nights each year?

Thank you very much in advance.

Just posting another idea based on my findings. You could get a resale week in low season for only a couple thousand dollars. The MFs are about $2500./year. If you don't mind exchanging, you can buy Shell points or Worldmark and exchange in a couple times per year for about half of that $2500. Exchangers cannot bring dogs. So, if you are looking at bringing your dog, you need to rent or buy there.

Renting from an owner is overall the cheapest way to go. You can rent from the resort, but I think the 2 bedroom units are over $700./night.

Pomme

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the chance of exchanging? I own Marriott and exchanging through II is no chance at all.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
What is the chance of exchanging? I own Marriott and exchanging through II is no chance at all.

It's best to place an ongoing search request for Aviara. When Aviara weeks become available in II, they don't sit out there for long. The one & two bedroom units are snapped up in minutes especially after a TUG sighting is posted.

You shouldn't have a problem getting an Aviara week using your Marriott. I just won't count on an exchange during Spring Break (mid March thru April) or Summer (late June thru mid Sept) at Aviara however few weeks do show up from time to time :)

I suggest searching the TUG sightings forum to get an idea of the weeks that have been available via II - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 (NOTE: must login as a TUG member to view the sightings forum).

For example, see this Aviara sighting thread - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199682&highlight=aviara

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I snagged one thanks to a sighting about a year and a half ago.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's best to place an ongoing search request for Aviara. When Aviara weeks become available in II, they don't sit out there for long. The one & two bedroom units are snapped up in minutes especially after a TUG sighting is posted.

You shouldn't have a problem getting an Aviara week using your Marriott. I just won't count on an exchange during Spring Break (mid March thru April) or Summer (late June thru mid Sept) at Aviara however few weeks do show up from time to time :)

I suggest searching the TUG sightings forum to get an idea of the weeks that have been available via II - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3 (NOTE: must login as a TUG member to view the sightings forum).

For example, see this Aviara sighting thread - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199682&highlight=aviara

Hi

Remember that next Jan-March will be IMPOSSIBLE to exchange into ... as only the Summits is open as Aviara build the Restaurant & Spa in the Meadows ...

Overall we meet more exchangers in Jan or early Feb .... after that it really dries up ...

Pomme - yes you can split a week into 3 and 4 day units ... there is a fee ..a lot of Los Angeles people do this ... ( that was a question asked earlier ). Have you stayed at Aviara yet? Rent a week and try it ... there is a learning curve and the more times you are there the more you understand and appreciate the stay. It took us a few times before we realized that we can set the maid service time ... once we knew what we had ..we set our schedule to do what we would normally do and we liked it because it made us not waste too much time.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi

Remember that next Jan-March will be IMPOSSIBLE to exchange into ... as only the Summits is open as Aviara build the Restaurant & Spa in the Meadows ...
Impossible NO. Less availability most likely.
Exchanges for Jan - Mar are already starting to popup - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210119
Overall we meet more exchangers in Jan or early Feb .... after that it really dries up ...
The TUG sighting forum which has several years of postings shows that's not true including the link I provided in my previous post above ;)

JMHO Pomme... I would try to exchange into Aviara (assuming giving up your timeshare week is cheaper than renting a week at Aviara). TIP: If you don't have a timeshare week to spare and you can travel last minute, rental prices sometimes drop as you get closer to the check-in date.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Impossible NO. Less availability most likely.
Exchanges for Jan - Mar are already starting to popup - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210119

Good point ... availability is only for studio units in Jan-March 2015 ... but never the less I am surprised that these show! ... I assume ( my flaw ) that readers want a 2 bbd unit. Note to Pomme ..you can split into 3 & 4 ... or ... into 1bbd and a studio ... not sure if you can do both at same time ...

As for exchangers after Mid Feb ...it is only the people we meet for the past 7 years of going there ... so I accept I have not talked with everyone .. but we try ..:) Not trying to fight ...just the more popular the travel period - the more the owners use them ( in general).

I really miss that Carlsbad weather ... cold & raining here ...

Greg

Last edited:

Pomme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all your kind advise.

I do own one week at marriott phuket beach club, which I already deposited to II already. I do want to try Aviara by exchanging via II, as you all suggested that I try it first.

I will check out the sighting thread. What they post there is the member search through II? Seen with Marriott - mean the person who owns marriott trying to search and seen with FS - mean the FS owner only can see?

I am from Thailand, so everything has to be planned well in advance. Last year I stayed at Marriott Newport Coast for a week, then a hotel in Carlsbad for another week.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks a lot for all your kind advise.
I will check out the sighting thread. What they post there is the member search through II? Seen with Marriott - mean the person who owns marriott trying to search and seen with FS - mean the FS owner only can see?

Some timeshares have a preference period in Interval International which provides them priority access to II exchange availability at their home and sister resorts before exchange inventory is made available to all II members. Marriott, Starwood, Four Season have this preference period.

On the TUG sighting forum, we use the term "seen with" to tell folks what type of week we were using when we saw availabiliy. However it doesn't mean all weeks are only available to those members. Some or all weeks could be available to everyone.
NOTE: You can't tell online which weeks are under the preference periods and which weeks are not.

Sometimes I'll search online with my Four Seasons week to see if anything is available within the preference period and then go back to search with WorldMark week as a comparison. For example: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=690510&postcount=8

Pomme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the explanation. Will keep looking.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

SunLover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got a Studio w/Kitchenette 9/11-18/2015

California Here We Come!
I've had deposited weeks to use and saw so many rave reviews on FSA that I thought I'd go ahead and try for it.
September 2015 our youngest will be starting college and I'll need a diversion.
Looking forward to it - I better read all these threads :)
I feel slightly jipped because our deposit was a 3 bedroom house and we're only getting a studio but it will just be the two of us and I think the location may offset the size of the unit. At this point I am just happy to have something to look forward to and to use a deposited week.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
California Here We Come!
I've had deposited weeks to use and saw so many rave reviews on FSA that I thought I'd go ahead and try for it.
September 2015 our youngest will be starting college and I'll need a diversion.
Looking forward to it - I better read all these threads :)
I feel slightly jipped because our deposit was a 3 bedroom house and we're only getting a studio but it will just be the two of us and I think the location may offset the size of the unit. At this point I am just happy to have something to look forward to and to use a deposited week.

Unless you need those exact date, I would hold out a little longer for a one or two bedroom. Just make sure you setup your ongoing search and be very flexible on your travel dates.

Steve

Reaction score
I love Four Seasons Aviara, but the studio units are basically luxury hotel rooms. The kitchenette is very minimal. You really can't cook anything or eat more than a snack in the room with what is provided. If you are okay with that, then you can have a wonderful vacation. If, however, you are feeling bad about giving up a larger unit, then you may be disappointed as these studios don't offer much more than a super nice hotel room. I'd also hold out for a one or two bedroom.

Steve

Reaction score
Why are there rental units avaialble when owners want to reserve and can't

Hi Kage

FS still owns some unsold units ... assuming they get 100% minus their annual fees ? Just a guess. In addition looking at last years P&L's - there is a credit for RENTAL INCOME shown - approx $163k or $24/2bbd unit or $20 on a 1 bbd unit as a credit ( pulled from assessment details ). There is a larger credit for 'other income' for whatever that is ... re-read the annual meeting - but we only get bullet -points - wonder if any TUG's went to annual meeting?

Greg

It mystifies me that FSA always seems to have rental inventory when there is no owner usage inventory. Why is that?
Also why hasn't the value of accommodation credits ever been increased? They certainly have increased rental prices there.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It mystifies me that FSA always seems to have rental inventory when there is no owner usage inventory. Why is that?
Also why hasn't the value of accommodation credits ever been increased? They certainly have increased rental prices there.

Hi Wildcat ... and welcome to TUG

Points for others reading this ... the quote from myself to Kage is an old one (unsure what year ) ...rental income per unit is several times that as per 2015 budget owners received a few days ago. And I also see 'other income' similar but I am unsure what is in that bucket.

So WildCat ..when were you looking to come that was booked?

From day 1 (circa 2006) we were told by others that the 'resort credit' wasn't your best value and try other options if you can. Have you been a owner long?

Anyways - glad you found TUG ... always a source of good info.

Greg