• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another [DC Trust Points] price increase on 9/11/14

taffy19

Reaction score
I was trying to find the web page again where the re-sale timeshares are offered that are for sale by owners but are handled through the Marriott resale office. That page is hard to find but I found this instead. There was also a notice on the first page too that the purchase price of trust points will soon go up again.

If trust points keep on going up, will this not make the weeks we own more valuable eventually or even go lower yet?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
HERE is the site you were initially seeking.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If trust points keep on going up, will this not make the weeks we own more valuable eventually or even go lower yet?

It's hard to say, but for me personally, the resale weeks will be more valuable.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
To be clear, it is the price of DC points that threatens to increase on September 11. The current stated price is $12.12/point.

I recently received a solicitation from Marriott Resales to sell one of my Waiohai deeded weeks; the proposed listing price is consistent with the web page linked above. There is no mention of any price increases for resale weeks as of September 11 or any other date.

Buying and using a resale week at Waiohai (even one bought through Marriott Resales) would cost about half as much as buying enough DC points to reserve the same week. Which is why I agree with presley that the price of weeks is likely to hold up well.

taffy19

Reaction score
To be clear, it is the price of DC points that threatens to increase on September 11. The current stated price is $12.12/point.

I recently received a solicitation from Marriott Resales to sell one of my Waiohai deeded weeks; the proposed listing price is consistent with the web page linked above. There is no mention of any price increases for resale weeks as of September 11 or any other date.

Buying and using a resale week at Waiohai (even one bought through Marriott Resales) would cost about half as much as buying enough DC points to reserve the same week. Which is why I agree with presley that the price of weeks is likely to hold up well.
Since the price of points are going up, I was curious if Marriott is listing the existing Legacy weeks higher now or not? They have to become good value even through the Marriott but the problem is that almost every week that is sold today, Marriott has the right to buy it back.

I believe that they are using a formula so they will not only put the better weeks in the trust as that would hurt legacy week owners to get the desired weeks in the season they own and, if they buy dirt cheap timeshare condos, they can sell them for the same price per point so make more money.

My concern is that, when the points keep going up in price, Marriott will lower the listing prices because new buyers are willing to pay a certain amount to go on a vacation and there is a limit that they will spend, IMO.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great date - from the idiots in marketing. :doh:

Last year a Virginia nuclear power plant decided to test their emergency siren systems on 9/11. But have no fear....they sent out a tweet that morning alerting that it was just a test. Because EVERYONE reads Twitter hourly.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
<Bump> Current DC Points pricing ends today and new pricing begins tomorrow.

This is the my-vacationclub.com that page Emmy linked in the first post in this thread: Pricing Information and Vacation Examples Note the lower left corner, "Current pricing expires September 10."

bw3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean
Points maintenance fee

Any news on the maintence fee per point? What is the current fee?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

Current = $0.45 per point

Proposed for 2015 = $0.475 per point.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Current = $0.45 per point

Proposed for 2015 = $0.475 per point.

Historically DC MF's haven't increased on the same days that price increases are implemented, and I think that's what we should continue to expect: purchase prices can be reviewed/changed anytime, MF's will be reviewed once a year as the DC budgets are proposed/approved.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
And the new rack rate per point is.......

$12.24 per point.

Up 12 cents from the last price.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the new rack rate per point is.......

$12.24 per point.

Up 12 cents from the last price.

Thanks, Fasttr, the FAQ is being updated. Here again is the marriottvacationclub.com link: Pricing Information & Vacation Examples

*Before the info disappears from the FAQ, and for historical perspective, the previous $12.12/point price was set on 6/20/14.

Last edited:

live4life

Reaction score
I don't get the logic of purchasing DC points today... as some of you know I'm a former (recovering:hi:) DC owner... Why spend 42k on 3500 points? AS a newbie, I HAD NO IDEA when they rolled the program out and frankly did not trust the re-sale division of Marriott and on the Web. Of course, since then, I've purchased a few.

Even if you purchase re-sale from them, you're still ahead... With point prices shifting upward and the MFs not mirroring some of the PLAT weeks that can be had, how can this program sustain itself before it implodes?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, Fasttr, the FAQ is being updated. Here again is the marriottvacationclub.com link: Pricing Information & Vacation Examples

*Before the info disappears from the FAQ, and for historical perspective, the previous $12.12/point price was set on 6/20/14.

So do we have anywhere or can compile a history of price changes? We seem to only have the last two. Can we fill in the blanks?

06/20/2010 -
06/20/2014 - $12.12
09/11/2014 - $12.24

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
So do we have anywhere or can compile a history of price changes? We seem to only have the last two. Can we fill in the blanks?

06/20/2010 -
06/20/2014 - $12.12
09/11/2014 - $12.24

Looking back at previous threads on the topic, here is a partial list that I came up with.

June 2010 - $9.20
Can't find anything on the sequence between these numbers
Sept 2012 - $11.64
March 2013- $11.88
Sept 2013 - $11.96
Trigger date? - $12.02
June 2014 - $12.12
Sept 2014 - $12.24

Last edited:

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is what we were given in APR 2014 during our pitch.

Attachments

• MVC points over time.JPG
    MVC points over time.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 182

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Nice! Do you have any objections to this being linked in the Points FAQ?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Wow -- I wish I had a graph that showed the resale value of points from 2010 to 2014.......

Probably $6/point in 2011, down to $3/point today.....

That's an annual loss of ~20% per year? (and more like an average of 33% per year if you also include the retail-to-resale drop from $10 down to $3 per point) :clap:

Maybe Marriott will add that graph to their sales pitch. :doh:

Last edited: