• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

WarHorse47

Reaction score
In reading the various posts I'm a little confused as to what needs to be done to request a deedback. Despite using our annual 6000 points as PVC owners, we need to pursue getting rid of our timeshare for medical reasons.

I've had past responses from DRI that they may consider a deedback for various reasons, but am confused as to the actual process. Do I just make a request and provide them with our membership information??

Thanks

Tom

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Started out as an MGV member with their CanCun property in Las Vegas. When DRI acquired the property, we simply wanted out. My wife and I proceeded to make the biggest mistake of our lives in buying into the Diamond Resorts International Platinum Club with 50,000 points. Life changes in the past few years have made it impossible for us to use the points in the way we would like to. I've sent the information to both the lossmitigation and leadcollector email addresses, and waiting to see what kind of response I get.

While I don't know what your annual MFs are, one option to get a majority of those fees back is to book an expensive cruise (>$5K), say 1 year out via DRI's cruise dept. Use your points to cover the cruise costs and they will mail you a check back for $5K. Of course you'll have to put a deposit down, but that will be refunded once you cancel the cruise, which you can do once the check arrives a couple of weeks later. This is a fairly simple option to get a bulk of the MFs back and just costs you a little time to find/book a cruise and then cancel it once you receive your check for $5K. Best of luck.

I've done this a few times to get a bulk of my 30K points MF costs back. I look for an expensive cruise 12+ mo. out that is offering a special of low deposits, say $100 PP. That away I'm only putting $200 on my CC while I wait for my check to arrive from DRI/Interval Cruise Dept. Once I have check in-hand, I call them back and cancel the cruise and get my deposit back on my card within a month.

https://member.diamondresorts.com/Benefits/Details/CRUISES

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In reading the various posts I'm a little confused as to what needs to be done to request a deedback. Despite using our annual 6000 points as PVC owners, we need to pursue getting rid of our timeshare for medical reasons.

I've had past responses from DRI that they may consider a deedback for various reasons, but am confused as to the actual process. Do I just make a request and provide them with our membership information??

Thanks

Tom

Tom, follow the directions given on the first post of this thread. DRI will contact you if they decide to take the deed back. It took them several weeks to respond to our inquiry, but they mailed all the paperwork which needed notarized signatures on it, and we sent it back in with a check for $250. Done! (We also made good use of our 6,000 PVC points, but it was time to get rid of it, and this was an easy solution.)

WarHorse47

Reaction score
Tom, follow the directions given on the first post of this thread. DRI will contact you if they decide to take the deed back. It took them several weeks to respond to our inquiry, but they mailed all the paperwork which needed notarized signatures on it, and we sent it back in with a check for $250. Done! (We also made good use of our 6,000 PVC points, but it was time to get rid of it, and this was an easy solution.)
Okay, thanks. I did that yesterday as an inquiry, meaning I did not provide any details as to why I was pursuing a deedback. Best I wait and see if they respond and go from there.

Tom

Bill4728

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I did that yesterday as an inquiry, meaning I did not provide any details as to why I was pursuing a deedback. Best I wait and see if they respond and go from there.

Tom
DRI does want you to at least say in your email why you need to give back the TS. Something like "due some new medical conditions" or "due to some new financial problems " Not any specifics but something.

WarHorse47

Reaction score
DRI does want you to at least say in your email why you need to give back the TS. Something like "due some new medical conditions" or "due to some new financial problems " Not any specifics but something.
This is what I was wondering. I've not received a response so have sent an amended e-mail. Thanks.

ibondre

Reaction score
DRI Contact Number to enquire about Deedback.

What is the DRI Number to enquire about status of a deedback?

Basically, send them an email with the necessary details, got a ticket# and that they will reach back to me in 1 - 2 days. Its been a week.

Bill4728

Reaction score
What is the DRI Number to enquire about status of a deedback?

Basically, send them an email with the necessary details, got a ticket# and that they will reach back to me in 1 - 2 days. Its been a week.

I've no idea why you think DRI will get back to you in 2-3 days It took them about 2 weeks after I got my ticket # to get the paperwork in the mail.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Received my info by email

Requested to surrender US collection points and Deeded week on May 4th. Received email with file # May 6th. Last night (May 21st) received documents for surrender by email (attached pdf file).

WarHorse47

Reaction score
I forwarded the basic information on 5/17 with a supplemental e-mail on 5/18 to the leadcolleector e-mail address, and have not received any response or ticket number.

This morning I sent another e-mail to both the leadcollector and lossmitigation e-mail addresses, and received a response and ticket number within a couple hours.

Tom

Last edited:

dontfret

Reaction score
we're over and out

This was MGV 327 points/9800 DRI points, annual maintenance fees of $1700, possible Cabo repairs surcharge looming. My wife and I have been trying for years to give it away.
April 23 -- read this thread and sent email into DRI Inventory to request cancellation. Told them I cannot use the timeshare any longer and cannot afford the ongoing maintenance and HOA fees.
April 23 -- got automated response confirming my request
April 26 -- got email with confirmation from a real person, and said they would send me a Mutual Release Agreement for me to complete and notarize.
May 2 - received and completed MRA and returned with check for $250.
May 7 - spoke by phone with DRI and confirmed they had documents in hand, and was told all accounts are settled at end of month.
May 29 -- bank shows check was cashed.
June 1 -- my login at Monarch Grand/DRI owners page returns error message "We have no active membership or ownership for the credentials you supplied" :whoopie: DRI confirmed by email our ownership is cancelled, no future invoices will be coming :banana: :banana:
My deepest thanks to Bill, Brian and this timeshare users board for alerting me to this possibility. My wife and I are grateful to have amicably exited this timeshare ownership, and wish all of you the very best in either enjoying or ending your own ownerships.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
love all the happy endings here!

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should jump on this now, get rid of my PVC 6,000 points, but I'm dragging my feet. Do you think the window will close soon on this opportunity?

Bill4728

Reaction score
I should jump on this now, get rid of my PVC 6,000 points, but I'm dragging my feet. Do you think the window will close soon on this opportunity?
The chance to get rid of your DRI TS may or may not be closing but I'd guess that they will not continue this offer for long.

Good Luck

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
The chance to get rid of your DRI TS may or may not be closing but I'd guess that they will not continue this offer for long.

Good Luck

Thanks. I'm thinking I should move on this. It's going to hurt to lose a piece of Sedona, but I guess I lost that when ILX convinced me to join PVC. But the thing is, I can trade into Los Abrigados, where I like to go, with another time share we have for half the MF costs. Crazy. I'll be doing that in August.

If they accept my request and send me the documents, how much time do I have to return the signed forms with payment? I'll be out of town for part of June.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
...It's going to hurt to lose a piece of Sedona ... But the thing is, I can trade into Los Abrigados, where I like to go, with another time share we have for half the MF costs. Crazy. I'll be doing that in August...

That's why a lot of us were thrilled with this easy way out of Diamond ownership! After Diamond bought Los Abrigados, the jump in MF's and additional club fees made it much more expensive to own vs exchanging into or even renting there.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you can always likely rent someone elses timeshare in sedona for near your annual MF =)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Good Luck

My guess is that the program will continue for some time, albeit they may limit the volume. Accepting owner deedbacks for free has to be a cheaper way to obtain inventory than is building and buying resorts.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I doubt the program will ever completely go away...but the arbitrary values or metrics they use to decide which intervals to take back most certainly will be adjusted accordingly as more and more owners relinquish units!

dontfret

Reaction score
when I spoke to the manager in inventory about my surrender she implied they were getting a lot of requests and were backlogged in processing them all. She didn't say it would be ending, but I got the impression they had some end point in mind. Probably when they have accumulated enough inventory at resorts they want to sell again to justify new marketing programs, they will just stop accepting deedbacks. While they make very little in managing ownership property for the MF, they make A LOT in sales. Compare the $1700/year MF i paid to the $60,000 or so the points can be sold for as new. If you're interested in surrendering I would not wait, start the process ASAP before the window closes - also you don't know what their inventory goals are for each resort group, so it's like bowling behind a curtain. As previous poster said, you can rent a week from the resort on the open market or from an existing owner on Craigs' list or eBay for much less than the MF.

Bill4728

Reaction score
My guess is that the program will continue for some time, albeit they may limit the volume. Accepting owner deedbacks for free has to be a cheaper way to obtain inventory than is building and buying resorts.
Steve what you're saying is TRUE

BUT then why don't more companies accept deed back more often? They could increase their inventory for no cost and then afford to sell at a reduced cost.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, what kind of message is it sending to some of these timeshare developers and management companies that we're all requesting these deedbacks? So many of us want out. I'm okay with the timeshare we have down in Virginia. Low key, no attempt to sell you more, relatively low MF, good trading power. That's what I want. Value for my money

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Steve what you're saying is TRUE

BUT then why don't more companies accept deed back more often? They could increase their inventory for no cost and then afford to sell at a reduced cost.

How much real, unsold inventory they have in hand has to be part of the calculus. That's inventory they need to clear out before they would be interested in taking deedbacks.

Diamond has built few, if any, resorts. They've mostly done acquisitions where a lot of inventory has already been sold when they've taken over.

Over time, though, I think more companies are going to start accepting deedbacks. The financials have to be much more attractive.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
That's About The Size Of It.

Accepting owner deedbacks for free has to be a cheaper way to obtain inventory than is building and buying resorts.
You are correct, sir.

DRI caught on that it's cheaper & easier & quicker & less trouble to move pieces of paper than to move dirt & concrete & brick & steel & lumber & paint & pipes & wires & furnishings, etc.

More units at more resorts owned by the various DRI trust collections means more availability backing up Diamond's internal exchange club points -- but not necessarily any more availability at the prime seasons at the top in-demand locations.

Mox nix. The Diamond timeshare sellers can just keep on dazzling customers with visions of the biggest, fanciest, newest, most special romantic & exotic timeshare vacation destinations -- all shown right there in their club book as available via DRI points. Meanwhile, the reality is that all those most desirable fancypants units get grabbed up earliest so that most of what's available when club members get round to using their DRI points will just be the perfectly OK but more run-of-the-mill units in perfectly nice but more overbuilt vacation destinations.

The concept is so brilliant that it gives me a grudging admiration for the suits at DRI who thought it up, even though I'm not partial in any way to their operation or their full-freight timeshare points club.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

dontfret

Reaction score
You are correct, sir.
More units at more resorts owned by the various DRI trust collections means more availability backing up Diamond's internal exchange club points -- but not necessarily any more availability at the prime seasons at the top in-demand locations.
-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

I just this week had my ownership cancelled. For years it was impossible to get a New Year's Eve reservation at the Las Vegas Cancun resort - everything from Dec 15 to Jan 6 was booked out by the time (a year in advance) I was allowed to book. I was always told that was booked ahead 13 months for premier DRI members, us MGV peons would never get this prime time. Then about 6 weeks ago when I started to monitor the member website to see if/when my membership was cancelled, I saw I was able to book any time I wanted, including this prime time - I could get a 1 or 2-BR from Dec 24 to Jan 1 if I wanted it. So perhaps as deedbacks began the available time opened up again, which would support your theory. For me the topic is delightfully moot as when I again attempted to login June 1 I got an error message that no ownership or membership was associated with my login credentials. Elvis has left the building.:banana: