Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timeshare Resort Systems > Starwood Vacation Ownership

Starwood Vacation Ownership Discussions about the Westin / Sheraton branded Timeshare network

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old September 12, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Transit

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 18, 06
Question St. John-SVN trade

I'm looking to try and get early June 2008 and was wondering what size rooms if any would be most available.
Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007, 07:28 PM   #2
tomandrobin

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 1, 06

Resorts: Disney - SSR, BLT, BWV & AKV Starwood - WKV(2), WSJ(3), WLR, HRA & Done!
One would think studios, but I don't know.
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
iluvwdw

BBS Reg. Date: Aug 28, 05

Resorts: Sheraton Vistana - Lakes & Cascades, Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella & Key West, Disney Vacation Club - Bay Lake Tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
I'm looking to try and get early June 2008 and was wondering what size rooms if any would be most available.
You have to wait until 8 months from the date you want to check in to make the ressie. I've never stayed there but hope to one day. GOOD LUCK! Take whatever size villa they have, they are hard to come by!

Kim :)
iluvwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2007, 09:29 PM   #4
mariawolf
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 19, 05

Resorts: Harborside 2 weeks, Marriott Frenchman's Cove
You would have to be pretty lucky to get that trade--most of the weeks there are fixed and most people aren't going to trade.
mariawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007, 02:05 PM   #5
DavidnRobin

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 20, 05

Resorts: Westin St. John (WSJ) x2; Westin Ka'anapali (WKORV); Westin Kierland (WKV) x2; Westin Princeville (WPORV) EOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
One would think studios, but I don't know.

Yes - studios and 1Bd villas are more numerous. Also, with the BV section opening - I think you will see more ability to excahnge into WSJ.. Unlike the VG villas - BV villas was held to a certain amount of fixed week ownership.

Be aware - they changed the seasons to different week groupings than VG and only have 2 and 3 Bd villas, but the SOs are cheap compared to some other resorts.

Also - I wrote about this before - something more is going on with VG villas than 'meets the eye' - while there is a claim they are difficult to impossible to exchange into - there are many unused and SVO rented villas during our week (24).
Old September 13, 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
tomandrobin

TUG Member

Resorts: Disney - SSR, BLT, BWV & AKV Starwood - WKV(2), WSJ(3), WLR, HRA & Done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidnRobin View Post
Yes - studios and 1Bd villas are more numerous. Also, with the BV section opening - I think you will see more ability to excahnge into WSJ.. Unlike the VG villas - BV villas was held to a certain amount of fixed week ownership.

Be aware - they changed the seasons to different week groupings than VG and only have 2 and 3 Bd villas, but the SOs are cheap compared to some other resorts.

Also - I wrote about this before - something more is going on with VG villas than 'meets the eye' - while there is a claim they are difficult to impossible to exchange into - there are many unused and SVO rented villas during our week (24).
Do you think that its becuse its unsold inventory?
Old September 13, 2007, 04:33 PM   #7
Loriannf
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05

Resorts: Westin St. John 3 Bedroom, 2 weeks
I think its the fractional owners

The Hillside WSJ units were originally sold as fractionals; few of those owners use their entire allotment of weeks and either let them sit empty or try to rent them out.

Lori
Loriannf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2007, 10:33 AM   #8
Fletcher921

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Westin Mission Hills, CA; Los Abrigados, AZ; The Whaler, HI; Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX; Westgate Park City, UT
Our very first internal trade with our Rancho Mirage Property was into one of the three bedroom villas with our own pool at St. John over Easter week that year. We loved it!!

coming next:
Jan 2-9 Atlantis Harborside
Jan 25-31, Westgate Park City
Mar 6-13, Sheraton Mountain Vista
May 16-30, The Whaler, Maui
Fletcher921 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 09:58 PM   #9
labonnevie

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 8, 07

Resorts: WKORV
New Bay Vista Villas

I understand that there will only be 2 and 3 BR villas in the new BV construction.
Does anyone know if these will be lockoffs and there will be the opportunity to rent/exchange into a one bedroom (either premium or studio) portion of the lockoff?
This would certainly free up a lot more opportunity for SO exchanges into WSJ for those of us that could get by with a one bedroom situation.
Also what is the current completion date of these new units? December is the last I heard.
Are they all sold yet?
labonnevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 10:15 PM   #10
johnmfaeth
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Oct 7, 06
Hi LoriannF,

Many Hillside WSJ were sold as fractionals but some number were also sold as single weeks. I owned a Studio Week 24 that was sold individually. It was a week 24 studio which I sold last year. Did a title search beack to the original deed where it was sold as a single week (versus being split off at some point in time).

My theory is that St. John is just so wonderful that people go each year and use their units.

John
johnmfaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 01:56 AM   #11
DavidnRobin

TUG Member

Resorts: Westin St. John (WSJ) x2; Westin Ka'anapali (WKORV); Westin Kierland (WKV) x2; Westin Princeville (WPORV) EOY
John - my prior post said for our week 24 ( 2 years now) - there seems to be quite a few empty units (1Bd/studios) and many SVO rentals.

The new BV will not be LOs.

The SO breakdown for seasons have changed somewhat between VG and BV.

They are still selling BV - not cheap. Whatever date SVO gives for completion - add extra months - things move slowly...

Eventually - the extra villas should loosen up inventory.
Old September 17, 2007, 08:37 AM   #12
Loriannf
TUG Member

Resorts: Westin St. John 3 Bedroom, 2 weeks
I think there's still a lot of empty Hillside units

I agree with David and Robin - for our weeks, 17 and 18, the parking lot for the 3 bedrooms is usually pretty empty, and there are few people other than us using the shuttle. If you speak with sales, though, as we've done for the last few years, there are few if any units available for purchase.

I've spoken with a few other people we've met during our weeks there, and many are fractional owners; at least in the 3 beds.

Lori
Loriannf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 10:20 AM   #13
stevens397
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Mission Hills, Marriott Fairway Villas, Manhattan Club
The first year we owned a Starwood, we traded into the 3 bedroom at WSJ for Presidents Week. Off the laundry room, there was a door that led to a hall with about ten doors - nothing else.

Near the end of the week, having had a fabulous time, I went to the Sales Office to find out if there were any 3 bedroom units available for sale for Presidents Week. They had 2 left and they were $122,000 each - and that was 2005!

I asked what the hallway was about and was told that they were storage rooms for multiple week owners. Now that I know they were sold as fractionals, it makes a bit more sense!
stevens397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 03:01 PM   #14
DavidnRobin

TUG Member

So perhaps it is just some WSJ owners not bothering to use their villas (or SVN exchange, or SP convert, or rent). We met a few people that originally booked the Hotel section and then were 'upgraded' to villas. Also - as I mentioned - empty villas altogether.
Old September 17, 2007, 06:45 PM   #15
Transit

TUG Member

I'm hoping to get something ,anysize ,if nothings avalable I'll use starpoints and only stay 5 days at the hotel.Thanks for the responces.
Old September 17, 2007, 07:51 PM   #16
saluki

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 30, 06

Resorts: Westin Kierland
Let us know how it goes, Transit. Good luck!
saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2007, 09:15 AM   #17
Transit

TUG Member

waitlisted

I was put on a waitlist......We'll see what happens .Has anyone here made it from the waitlist to a unit?
Old October 13, 2007, 10:21 AM   #18
Transit

TUG Member

waitlist update

I called today to add another date to be waitlisted on .They told me that I need to waitlist for each size unit on each date I request! I didn't know this and there for my first waitlist was for only a 3 bed pool unit. So now the notes were made to reflect each unit size on 4 different dates.That would be 16 waitlists for St John far! The first time I called the operator told me I was # 5 on the waitlist when I called today ( I spoke to 2 different oprs.) they tell me they can't see my waitlist number? thats another dept. Now I'm on a mission
Old October 13, 2007, 11:26 AM   #19
mariawolf
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 19, 05

Resorts: Harborside 2 weeks, Marriott Frenchman's Cove
It is my understanding that if you make a wait list you usually have a chance. I understand that they put you on a wait list only if they think you have a chance based on past history.
mariawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Stefa
TUG Member

Quote:
I called today to add another date to be waitlisted on .They told me that I need to waitlist for each size unit on each date I request! I didn't know this and there for my first waitlist was for only a 3 bed pool unit. So now the notes were made to reflect each unit size on 4 different dates.That would be 16 waitlists for St John far! The first time I called the operator told me I was # 5 on the waitlist when I called today ( I spoke to 2 different oprs.) they tell me they can't see my waitlist number? thats another dept. Now I'm on a mission
I also got on the waitlist today. She told me that she couldn't see what number I was, but that there were only about six spots total. She did, however, encourage me to consider other locations, so I won't hold my breath for WSJ.
Stefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Transit

TUG Member

Exclamation

Called again this morning .Waitlisted yet another date.Interesting that it was busy on the lines I was on hold for 10 minutes today was the fiirst time this happened so 6/14 must be a heavely requested date.I asked about Princevllie Studios are availableTheir trying to push Cancun lots of availabilty there.Operator also told me Aruba is not bookable till 2010.
Old October 14, 2007, 10:07 AM   #22
tomandrobin

TUG Member

Hopefully something will come thru for you. I read too many times of no availability at St. John. Yet when we went a few years back, I was surprised of how many rooms seemed empty, yet there was no availability. My neighbor has a two bedroom, week 24 at St. John. He bought three years ago. He has yet to use that unit. He owns two 3 bedroom weeks also, that he does use. The past two years he used his options for last minute trips to stay at Vistana. Drives me crazy, but I keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by tomandrobin; October 14, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old October 14, 2007, 10:09 AM   #23
tomandrobin

TUG Member

Quote:
Called again this morning .Waitlisted yet another date.Interesting that it was busy on the lines I was on hold for 10 minutes today was the fiirst time this happened so 6/14 must be a heavely requested date.I asked about Princevllie Studios are availableTheir trying to push Cancun lots of availabilty there.Operator also told me Aruba is not bookable till 2010.
The couple times I called, I felt that they were pushing the Cancun resort hard.
Old October 15, 2007, 10:14 AM   #24
Stefa
TUG Member

Got on the waitlist for June 15. I'm now waitlisted for five different dates for next June.

We can travel anytime early June through end of August as well as one week mid-October, but I'm wondering if it would be too hot and humid during some of those times. We would only do light hiking as we have small children, so we would mostly be hanging around the resort and visiting some beaches.

I'd like to hear from some of you with more experience visiting the Caribbean. Should I try for July/August or just keep my fingers crossed for June? We'd love to visit St John, but not if it is miserably hot.

Thanks
Stefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2007, 01:00 PM   #25
DavidnRobin

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefa View Post
Got on the waitlist for June 15. I'm now waitlisted for five different dates for next June.

We can travel anytime early June through end of August as well as one week mid-October, but I'm wondering if it would be too hot and humid during some of those times. We would only do light hiking as we have small children, so we would mostly be hanging around the resort and visiting some beaches.

I'd like to hear from some of you with more experience visiting the Caribbean. Should I try for July/August or just keep my fingers crossed for June? We'd love to visit St John, but not if it is miserably hot.

Thanks
It is pretty much hot and humid all the time - it is just relative (esp if you are from the West Coast) - June does not differ that much from July/Aug. Check out the monthly averages (highs/lows/rain). It really depends on whether there is a breeze and how close the water is. If the wind comes to a stand still - it will become uncomfortable.

The weather activity picks up from June thru October - with a peak in Sept - whether there is a Tropic Depression/Storm - Hurricane or not. July 4th on STJ is the end of a weeklong festival. After this - the island life becomes slower than it already is - which is as close to going backwards as you can get...
("Still is still moving to me" - Willie Nelson)