• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriot Vacation Clubs Resorts to move to Hotel Categories

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Dear MVCI TUGers

In response to MVCI owner requests, Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards working to achieve a tighter brand integration. For example, as of June 30, 2008 last year, Marriott Rewards began counting MVCI nights towards qualifying for the next level of Marriott Rewards Elite status. Whether you stayed at your home resort or on exchange through Interval International AND presented your Marriott Rewards ID at check-in/check-out, the nights were counted and reflected in your online Marriott Rewards Account Activity.

Today, a decision was made to achieve another milestone, integration of Marriott Vacation Club properties into Marriott Rewards Categories. Here is the announcement posted on Marriott Rewards Insiders, May 11, 2009 by an Insiders staff member:

Greetings, Marriott Rewards Insiders!

On July 16, Marriott Vacation Club resorts will move to hotel categories. This means that the number of points required to stay at a Marriott Vacation Club will change: the points required will be increasing.

As your Marriott Rewards liaison, my number one priority is to give all Marriott Rewards members and Insiders the straight facts.

A complete list of the Marriott Vacation Club resorts and the new category levels will be published on Marriott.com later tonight. Watch the program news section of Marriott Rewards (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi) for more information.

This move does not change Marriott Vacation Club's participation in No Blackout Dates. If you own a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare, this change does not impact the number of points you receive in trade for your week.

Please note, the changes don't take effect until July 16th. We will honor any reservations booked before July 16th at the current point amount.

Thanks all,

Andrew

Marriott Rewards Insiders is an online travel community hosted by Marriott for Marriott Rewards members. While there is no cost to join Marriott Rewards Insiders, you will need a Marriott Rewards member ID in order to register and login before viewing or posting. Here is the URL:

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com

Be sure to check-out ongoing discussion among several MVCI owners under the discussion thread titled, MVCI Plea for Help.

Regards

TJCNewYork

Bill4728

Reaction score
Dear MVCI TUGers

In response to MVCI owner requests, Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott Rewards working to achieve a tighter brand integration. For example, as of June 30, 2008 last year, Marriott Rewards began counting MVCI nights towards qualifying for the next level of Marriott Rewards Elite status. Whether you stayed at your home resort or on exchange through Interval International AND presented your Marriott Rewards ID at check-in/check-out, the nights were counted and reflected in your online Marriott Rewards Account Activity.

People have been reporting getting credit on the TS stays for a while but I hadn't seen anything offical before.

Thanks for the heads up.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
People have been reporting getting credit on the TS stays for a while but I hadn't seen anything offical before.

Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks Bill,

Good for them. I first noticed MVCI nights showing up November 2008 following a late October stay at MIP. Curious, I double-checked Account Activity for April/May 2008 at MIP and didn't see the nights posted. The discrepancy prompted a call to Owner Services. My rep, Corey thought I was from a different planet. Very reluctantly, Corey transferred me to an Owner Services Manager, Maureen who confirmed an internal memo, dated June 30, 2008 that MVCI nights would be counted with the condition that the owner must present his/her Marriott Rewards member ID at check-in or check-out in order to receive the nights credit on the MR account. Maureen also confirmed that she was not able to pinpoint any external communications to owners on this subject. Like you, I am very vigilant monitoring any correspondence. In fact, I save every e-mail from Marriott and searched the inbox without finding any reference to this change.

Regards

TJCNewYork

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to fax my folio for two stays I had. One for the MFC where I used my owner week and one I had as an exchange at Barony. Neither showed up. However, all my stays at the Marriott Fairways in NJ show up. I have never had a problem there. I got 14 days worth of credit. That may help me reach Gold status but I doubt it

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
I had to fax my folio for two stays I had. One for the MFC where I used my owner week and one I had as an exchange at Barony. Neither showed up. However, all my stays at the Marriott Fairways in NJ show up. I have never had a problem there. I got 14 days worth of credit. That may help me reach Gold status but I doubt it

I'm told by Elite reservations that there is a backend issue. In order for the nights to be credited to your MR Account, your Marriott Rewards ID has to be associated with the Reservation. Some of the property management systems still in use are antiquated.

As a knee-jerk reaction, what I do now is call Reservations. If you examine your II certificate you will see a Reservation #. Call that # in and have Reservations manually insert your Marriott Rewards ID as a stop gap measure. The same for Owner Services. Although they assign a Reservation #, they are unable to input your Marriott Rewards #.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm told by Elite reservations that there is a backend issue. In order for the nights to be credited to your MR Account, your Marriott Rewards ID has to be associated with the Reservation. Some of the property management systems still in use are antiquated.

As a knee-jerk reaction, what I do now is call Reservations. If you examine your II certificate you will see a Reservation #. Call that # in and have Reservations manually insert your Marriott Rewards ID as a stop gap measure. The same for Owner Services. Although they assign a Reservation #, they are unable to input your Marriott Rewards #.
Thanks for the idea. I'll do that very soon for my two upcoming reservations at NCV.

VictorB

TUG Member
Reaction score
II Certificate and Rewards Number

Originally Posted by TJCNewYork

While I see the column labeled "rewards #" on my confirmation from II, the person on the Marriott Rewards Desk at II said they had no field avaiable to them to populate that number???

II said I should speak to Marriott. :wall:

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point

On July 16, Marriott Vacation Club resorts will move to hotel categories. This means that the number of points required to stay at a Marriott Vacation Club will change: the points required will be increasing.

As your Marriott Rewards liaison, my number one priority is to give all Marriott Rewards members and Insiders the straight facts.

A complete list of the Marriott Vacation Club resorts and the new category levels will be published on Marriott.com later tonight. Watch the program news section of Marriott Rewards (https://www.marriott.com/rewards/learn/prgnews.mi) for more information.

This move does not change Marriott Vacation Club's participation in No Blackout Dates. If you own a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare, this change does not impact the number of points you receive in trade for your week.

So cost in points goes up, looks like a lot, points you get will not channge. I want to hear how sales reps spin this one. I would ask "Why would I pay extra for the right to get X points for my week when it takes 2X points to get that same week back? Where is the value?"

Ray

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Interesting Point Values! Cat 5-7

United States

Arizona
Canyon Villas – Phoenix, AZ
Marriott Rewards Hotel Category: 6

California
Desert Springs Villas I – Palm Desert, CA

Desert Springs Villas II – Palm Desert, CA

Grand Residences by Marriott, Lake Tahoe – South Lake Tahoe, CA
Marriott Rewards Hotel Category: 7

Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe – South Lake Tahoe, CA

Newport Coast Villas – Newport Coast, CA

Shadow Ridge I, The Villages – Palm Desert, CA

Shadow Ridge II, The Enclave – Palm Desert, CA

Timber Lodge – South Lake Tahoe, CA

Colorado

Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge – Breckenridge, CO

Florida

Beach Place Towers – Fort Lauderdale, FL

Crystal Shores – Marco Island, FL

Cypress Harbour – Orlando, FL

Grande Vista – Orlando, FL

Harbour Lake – Orlando, FL
Marriott Rewards Hotel Category: 5

Imperial Palm Villas – Orlando, FL

Legends Edge at Bay Point—Panama City, FL

Ocean Pointe – Palm Beach Shores, FL

Royal Palms – Orlando, FL

Sabal Palms – Orlando, FL

Villas at Doral – Miami, FL

Hawaii
Kaua'i Beach Club – Lihue-Kauai, HI

Ko Olina Beach Club – Kapolei-Oahu, HI

Maui Ocean Club – Lahaina-Maui, HI

Maui Ocean Club, Lahaina and Napili Villas – Lahaina, HI

Waiohai Beach Club – Koloa-Kauai, HI

Massachusetts
Custom House – Boston, MA

Missouri
Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club at Branson – Branson, MO

Nevada

Grand Chateau 1 & 2 – Las Vegas, NV

New Jersey
Fairway Villas at Seaview – Absecon, NJ

South Carolina
Barony Beach Club – Hilton Head, SC

Grande Ocean – Hilton Head, SC

Harbour Club – Hilton Head Island, SC

Harbour Point and Sunset Pointe at Shelter Cove – Hilton Head, SC

Heritage Club – Hilton Head Island, SC

Monarch at Sea Pines – Hilton Head Island, SC

OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes – Myrtle Beach, SC

SurfWatch – Hilton Head, SC

Utah
MountainSide – Park City, UT

Summit Watch– Park City, UT

Virgin Islands (US)
Frenchman's Cove – St. Thomas, USVI

Virginia
Manor Club at Ford's Colony – Williamsburg, VA

Aruba

Aruba Ocean Club – Palm Beach, Aruba

Aruba Surf Club – Palm Beach, Aruba

France
Village d'Ile-de-France – Bailly Romainvilliers, France

St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Kitts Beach Club – Frigate Bay, St. Kitts and Nevis

Spain
Club Son Antem – Llucmajor, Spain

Marbella Beach Resort – Marbella, Spain

Playa Andaluza – Estepona, Spain

Thailand
Mai Khao Beach – Phuket, Thailand

Phuket Beach Club – Phuket, Thailand

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How many points are required for a free night?

This chart shows the points required by category level for each redemption night for a Deluxe Guest room. Additional points are required for 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedrooms villas

Hotel_Category_Grid.gif

How many points are required for 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom & 3-bedroom villas?

A 1-bedroom is an additional 5,000 points per night, a 2-bedroom is an additional 10,000 points per night, and a 3-bedroom is an additional 15,000 points per night.

Why do the types of rooms offered for redemption at Marriott Vacation Club resorts vary by location?

Each property has a different assortment of Deluxe Guest Room, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, and 3-bedrooms villas. Not all properties have all room types.

Will Marriott Vacation Club participate in No Blackout Dates?

Marriott Vacation Club resorts will not offer No Blackout Dates. Because Marriott Vacation Club resorts are timeshare properties, availability depends on whether the timeshare owners plan to occupy their rooms on specific nights.

from this page https://www.marriott.com/marriott.mi?page=mvci-faq

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So now - instead of it costing 150,000 to book a 7 night 2BR in Aruba - it will cost 35,000 + 10,000 = 45,000 X 4 nights = 180,000 5th night free - and 2 more nights at 45,000 = 90 - total 7 nights in a 2BR = 270

and if I trade in my 2BR platinum week in Aruba - I receive 90,000

Gee, THANKS a LOT Marriott...now it is REALLY worth it to buy direct from you in order to turn in my weeks for points!

Last edited:

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Cost in points for 7 nights in a 2 bedroom:

Cat 5 -----------210,000
Cat 6 -----------240,000
Cat 7 -----------270,000

Assuming you get one night free after 4 nights.

Makes getting 100,000 points for turning one in look like a poor deal.

Ray

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dear MVCI TUGers

Today, a decision was made to achieve another milestone, integration of Marriott Vacation Club properties into Marriott Rewards Categories. Here is the announcement posted on Marriott Rewards Insiders, May 11, 2009 by an Insiders staff member:

Please note, the changes don't take effect until July 16th. We will honor any reservations booked before July 16th at the current point amount.

Thanks all,

Andrew

Marriott Rewards Insiders is an online travel community hosted by Marriott for Marriott Rewards members. While there is no cost to join Marriott Rewards Insiders, you will need a Marriott Rewards member ID in order to register and login before viewing or posting. Here is the URL:

http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com

Be sure to check-out ongoing discussion among several MVCI owners under the discussion thread titled, MVCI Plea for Help.

Regards

TJCNewYork

How does Marriott explain/defend THAT one????

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
While I see the column labeled "rewards #" on my confirmation from II, the person on the Marriott Rewards Desk at II said they had no field avaiable to them to populate that number???

II said I should speak to Marriott. :wall:

Don't do this on the phone. II can't even do it. You need to call Marriott. Do it online in your Marriott.com account. I think another Tugger posted instructions on this at one point. But you do it under the Change/Cancel Reservations section to look up your reservation and then attach your MR# to the reservation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dear MVCI TUGers

This is actually the first mention of them giving nights on II exchanges in addition to home resort stays. WHen the announcement came out in 2008 it only mentioned giving nights on home resort stays at MVCI resorts, no mention of II exchanges. This is good to hear.

GrayFal said:
How does Marriott explain/defend THAT one????

Overall this may be a lead in to adjustments in what Marriott will offer in the way of MRP in exchange for your week. They could be assigning these values to in the future provide the ability to trade for those same point values. I wouldn't hold your breath or get your hopes up, but it could be a possibility. Perhaps I just gave them that great idea.:ignore:

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is actually the first mention of them giving nights on II exchanges in addition to home resort stays. WHen the announcement came out in 2008 it only mentioned giving nights on home resort stays at MVCI resorts, no mention of II exchanges. This is good to hear.

Overall this may be a lead in to adjustments in what Marriott will offer in the way of MRP in exchange for your week. They could be assigning these values to in the future provide the ability to trade for those same point values.
Please see what I highlighted in post # 13 - it was specifically mentioned that they were NOT going to change the points you get!

edit - I only use BOLD to highlight what was said - I am not SHOUTING at you

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Please see what I highlighted in post # 13 - it was specifically mentioned that they were NOT going to change the points you get!

edit - I only use BOLD to highlight what was said - I am not SHOUTING at you

I am not disputing what they are saying now. At this time it not change the points you get. It just may be a move in that direction.

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there is more to this

I also think they will be doing their own exchange program, thus the reason for changing point values for stays here. Does anyone know if the resort categories are in line with the maintenance fees? I would like to see them get to a more equitable place in exchanging units.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know if the resort categories are in line with the maintenance fees? I would like to see them get to a more equitable place in exchanging units.

Grande Vista (Cat 6) 2008 MF Platinum $819.53 vs. Ocean Pointe (Cat 5) 2008 MF Platinum $1142.40 ? Not even close.

Last edited:

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Point

Grande Vista (Cat 6) vs. Ocean Pointe (Cat 5)? Not even close.

Thats a shame, I would be upset if I was an Ocean Pointe owner. You can get a get-a-way to Grande Vista almost anytime you want one on Intervale, its just got so many available units, not the case with Ocean Pointe.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a huge increase in points for a 2 bedroom reservation, but it doesn't surprise me. Using points for a MVCI was the best value for MR points at current values.

I've never stayed in a MVCI using points, but I have made resevations which I cancelled once an II exchange came through.

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is going to take someones 270,000 points and give me a whole120,000 points for my 3 bedroom St Kitts. That's a 150,000 point difference! Seeing this years M/F are over $1700 (I could by 120,000points for $1500) How about atleast splitting the difference with the owners or letting us owners rent the T/S for what other owners are getting in point value?? Kind of like how SVN works in a way, maybe. With all of this take, take, take they need to look at the owner points now.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Alas, another MR "enhancement.":shrug:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that not many folks will jump at the chance to spend a ton of points on a timeshare visit.

Realistically, you can rent almost any of the Marriott timeshares for less than $1500 for the week, and many can be had for as little as $199 for a week on an II getaway (granted in off season, but...).

I was also interested to see how they assigned the individual resorts to the hotel categories. Some of the less popular resorts got category 6 while more popular ones got 5s. We'll see if they offer pointsavers during off season.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess is that not many folks will jump at the chance to spend a ton of points on a timeshare visit.

Realistically, you can rent almost any of the Marriott timeshares for less than $1500 for the week, and many can be had for as little as $199 for a week on an II getaway (granted in off season, but...).

I was also interested to see how they assigned the individual resorts to the hotel categories. Some of the less popular resorts got category 6 while more popular ones got 5s. We'll see if they offer pointsavers during off season.

I don't think many people who currently own a TS will do this, but you may still see those that don't have access to getaway weeks in II take them up on the offer. I am guessing you can combine these with a travel package that includes airline miles now.