• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriot Vacation Clubs Resorts to move to Hotel Categories

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Oh no, you must be sneezing hard if you have browsed/searched for "Marriott Internal trading system"!!...

Does anyone know how participants were selected to take the survey? Was an e-mail blast sent with a link to an online survey or was this a paper survey sent in the mail?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know how participants were selected to take the survey? Was an e-mail blast sent with a link to an online survey or was this a paper survey sent in the mail?

It was an e-mail blast with a link to an online survey.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I've also done this but noted in my last trip to Aruba that the only activities you can charge to the room are ones associated with Marriott, like the red sail activities. I also noted when I had restaurant reservations made by Marriott, they added a service charge. So make sure you know what additional charges you may have.

What kind of service charge? I know I made restaurant reservations through the concierge at the Surf Club and was NOT charged any service charge for their services. Now, some restaurants in Aruba are adding in a service charge instead of leaving the gratuity to the diner's discretion and there are a few that are couching it as simply a service charge and not a gratuity; there has been a lot of discussion about that on the Aruba BB. Is that what you are referring to? Or- is the concierge at the Ocean Club (I assume that's whom you are referring to) charging for his/her services?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've also done this but noted in my last trip to Aruba that the only activities you can charge to the room are ones associated with Marriott, like the red sail activities. I also noted when I had restaurant reservations made by Marriott, they added a service charge. So make sure you know what additional charges you may have.

It's true that using the concierge to book some things can cost a bit more, but most of the time does not. When I bought our Grand Hyatt Kauai Luau tickets through the concierge, I believe we paid about $5 more per ticket than what we would have had we bought them direct. As lovearuba suggested, make sure you ask.

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an experience where the Concierge arranged for hockey tickets when we were at Canyon Villas. We paid over double the ticket price that we could have purchased at the door. We learned our lesson!

Susan

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We had an experience where the Concierge arranged for hockey tickets when we were at Canyon Villas. We paid over double the ticket price that we could have purchased at the door. We learned our lesson!

Susan

Wow, did the concierge explain the price? I can see how it would happen if s/he got the tickets through Ace Tickets or StubHub or a similar authorized re-seller, because the owner sets the resale price and the re-seller tacks on fees. But if your tickets came through the box office that makes no sense!

susanmmm

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
She got them thru a broker. Unfortunately, we didn't ask the right questions before we agreed to the purchase. We will know for next time.

S.

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of service charge? I know I made restaurant reservations through the concierge at the Surf Club and was NOT charged any service charge for their services. Now, some restaurants in Aruba are adding in a service charge instead of leaving the gratuity to the diner's discretion and there are a few that are couching it as simply a service charge and not a gratuity; there has been a lot of discussion about that on the Aruba BB. Is that what you are referring to? Or- is the concierge at the Ocean Club (I assume that's whom you are referring to) charging for his/her services?

I made the reservations through the consierge and they added a small charge to our bill, I didnt know it would be added to my bill until I saw it. The thing is in Aruba, you can walk to most restaurants and drop by it on your way to one of the others and make reservations for the next day. My point is just that you should be aware that there may be a charge. Some folks would not have a problem with this but others might be caught off guard. I want full disclosure and get irritated when I get surprised later.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
It was an e-mail blast with a link to an online survey.

None of the owners I know at the Palms received the e-mail about the survey. :shrug: Would it preferable to discuss the Vacation Points Exchange Program here or on the other thread that you pointed to?:deadhorse:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
None of the owners I know at the Palms received the e-mail about the survey. :shrug: Would it preferable to discuss the Vacation Points Exchange Program here or on the other thread that you pointed to?:deadhorse:

The problem is that there is no program. It doesn't exist, all discussion will be based on rumor.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I made the reservations through the consierge and they added a small charge to our bill, I didnt know it would be added to my bill until I saw it. The thing is in Aruba, you can walk to most restaurants and drop by it on your way to one of the others and make reservations for the next day. My point is just that you should be aware that there may be a charge. Some folks would not have a problem with this but others might be caught off guard. I want full disclosure and get irritated when I get surprised later.

That's surprising- and I agree with you. Did you say anything to the concierge? I know I wasn't charged for any reservations made through the SC concierge and I have friends who use the concierge extensively making all their reservations in advance and were never charged a fee. I wonder if it was for specific restaurants or an Ocean Club specific charge?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Feel free to tell me more. I'd like to know what makes TUGers so enthusiastic about TUG. What makes the community thrive and hum? What are the top 3 things TUGers like most?

-People here are overall very welcoming.
-This is a great place to get an education. Whether a newbie or experienced, inevitably there is always something new to learn.
-Using what we've learned to save time, to save money, and to make the most out of our vacation time. Many people have been saved from making costly mistakes by the great advice they've gotten here. Also, whether facilitating great trades, travel advice, destination advice, what to see and what to do, etc., there is invariably someone willing and able to help.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Feel free to tell me more. I'd like to know what makes TUGers so enthusiastic about TUG. What makes the community thrive and hum? What are the top 3 things TUGers like most?

For me, TUG provides an opportunity to interact with folks who share my travel lifestyle, in as pleasant and welcoming an environment as can be found online. We may be complete polar opposites in every other aspect of our lives, but here we're able to share and debate different opinions and ideas related to timesharing with respect, kindness, tolerance and humor. Even the "heated" discussions manage to provide a learning opportunity, and most resolutions are friendly. As an added bonus, when you want a dose of humanity you can head on over to the Lounge - there you will find friendship.

TUG is nice. :)

lovearuba

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's surprising- and I agree with you. Did you say anything to the concierge? I know I wasn't charged for any reservations made through the SC concierge and I have friends who use the concierge extensively making all their reservations in advance and were never charged a fee. I wonder if it was for specific restaurants or an Ocean Club specific charge?

No I didnt say anything to the concierge, it wasnt worth it. My husband would have but I stopped him, he can get intense about customer service issues and we were on vacation. We let it go and just started making our own reservations. I know one of the charges was for a restaurant reservation but I cant remember specifically which one, only that it was within walking distance. I am heading to Aruba soon and if the opportunity comes up I will ask.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
The problem is that there is no program. It doesn't exist, all discussion will be based on rumor.

Candidly, did anyone verify the authenticity of the so-called survey? There are typos and grammatical errors which raised red flags. Moreover, not one MVCI owner I contacted recalls receiving the November 2008 survey. Several owners do recall an II representative or an MVCI Rental Sales rep mentioning a 'Marriott to Marriott' type exchange program dating back to 2007. The concept of 'facilitated exchange' is consistent with a conversation I had with an Owner Services rep in March of this year. The survey d/l from TUG, however, refers to exchange concepts that are more far-reaching.

Nickelodeanbrand.jpg

Connecting the dots, Marriott does have several brands in development. There is no need for speculation or rumor because the development initiative is in the public domain to attract investment: http://www.marriottdevelopment.com. For example, by 2020 Marriott plans to unveil 20 resorts under a new brand, Nickelodean Resorts by Marriott. Like the Disney vacation point system which does not involve deeded property, the Nickelodean brand might be ideally suited to a vacation points system. The vacation points concept is successful at Disney because it provides parents/grandparents the type of extended flexibility that the survey attempts to measure.

Net, net, you are absolutely correct, "The problem is that there is no program."

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
whether facilitating great trades, travel advice, destination advice, what to see and what to do, etc., there is invariably someone willing and able to help.

'someone willing and able to help' says 'member enthusiasm' which is what a thriving community is about. I do find that to be very evident.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Even the "heated" discussions manage to provide a learning opportunity, and most resolutions are friendly. As an added bonus, when you want a dose of humanity you can head on over to the Lounge - there you will find friendship.

TUG is nice. :)

Great testimonial about your personal experience and the sense of give and take which is essential to fostering community. Thanks!

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Candidly, did anyone verify the authenticity of the so-called survey? There are typos and grammatical errors which raised red flags. Moreover, not one MVCI owner I contacted recalls receiving the November 2008 survey. ...

Are you suggesting that this survey was not authentic?
I still have the email.

Marriotttradingsystemsurvey.jpg

Marriotttradingsystemsurvey2.jpg

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to clarify, resale from a 3rd party?

It wasn't my original post, but I think it's safe to say that here on TUG "resale" always refers to a purchase from a 3rd party. Purchases made from Marriott/MVCI or any other timeshare company (including those which are technically "resales") are referred to as "developer-direct" or something similar.

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that this survey was not authentic?
I still have the email.

Marriotttradingsystemsurvey.jpg

Terry

It 'looks' authentic, but so do phishing scams. Do you have the header information? Who is the e-mail from and signed by? Is there any contact information provided? Did you try to contact the sender?

I phoned Owner Services in SLC earlier. Although very friendly and upfront, the OS rep could not recall or confirm that MVCI sent such a survey in November 2008. According to the rep, MVCI does not typically engage 3rd parties to conduct market research surveys. Since such surveys do prompt owner inquiries, MVCI is vigilant about notifying Owner Services as a matter of standard procedure prior to implementation.

The OS rep did admit that MVCI does engage in-depth market research, and was quick to praise MVCI's efforts to collect and escalate owner feedback. I made specific reference to the phrase, 'Marriott Vacation Points Exchange Program'. The OS rep was not familiar with the phrase and unable to confirm.

Regards the phrase, 'internal exchange', the OS rep became very animated about the 'Florida Club'. This is an internal exchange program that has been in place for several years which he described as "very popular" and regarded as "very successful" by MVCI as well as the owners at the resorts that participate:

FloridaClub.jpg

The rep went on to add that state statutes limit what MVCI can and cannot do with regards to facilitating timeshare exchange. As an internal exchange program for which owners pay a nominal fee, the Florida Club operates in total compliance within Florida statutes. The rep also gave another example. Orlando has a municipal ordinance that restricts MVCI and Interval from internal exchanges on deeded units within 50 miles of Orlando.

While the November 2008 survey could be entirely legitimate, there is the possibility that it is not. Information breaches have made headlines and Marriott is quick to alert owners in the event of a breach, but unless someone questions what they've received, the breach may not even come to light. If there is cause for alarm, it would have surfaced by now. I hope for all who did participate in the survey that it is legitimate. There are some fascinating concepts about Vacation Points Exchange, but there are statutory requirements that are restrictive to protect our interests.

For more information on the Florida Club go to the Marriott Learning Center and select Detailed How to Use Guide under Webinar Presentations.

Last edited:

TJCNewYork

Reaction score
It wasn't my original post, but I think it's safe to say that here on TUG "resale" always refers to a purchase from a 3rd party. Purchases made from Marriott/MVCI or any other timeshare company (including those which are technically "resales") are referred to as "developer-direct" or something similar.

Again, thanks for the clarification. I also called Owner Services to clarify what happens to the option to Trade for Points in the event of the owners' death. According to OS, the Trade for Points option remains as a usage option when the deeded property is passed on to the spouse or children. However, if the TS is sold to the spouse or children, it would be considered a resale from a 3rd party and the Trade for Points usage option is null and void.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
... While the November 2008 survey could be entirely legitimate, there is the possibility that it is not. Information breaches have made headlines and Marriott is quick to alert owners in the event of a breach, but unless someone questions what they've received, the breach may not even come to light. If there is cause for alarm, it would have surfaced by now. I hope for all who did participate in the survey that it is legitimate. There are some fascinating concepts about Vacation Points Exchange, but there are statutory requirements that are restrictive to protect our interests.

No doubt in my mind, and probably in many othres' minds, that the survey was legit. :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The rep went on to add that state statutes limit what MVCI can and cannot do with regards to facilitating timeshare exchange. As an internal exchange program for which owners pay a nominal fee, the Florida Club operates in total compliance within Florida statutes. The rep also gave another example. Orlando has a municipal ordinance that restricts MVCI and Interval from internal exchanges on deeded units within 50 miles of Orlando.

I don't understand how state statutes could limit Marriott when every other major timeshare company operate within Florida and Orlando and many of them have points based internal exchange systems.

If others can operate there with these types of systems, why can't Marriott? Specific references to the sections of the law would be helpful here.

Laws can't be written to restrict the ability of only one company. Well they can, but they would definitely be challenged on a constitutional level.

While the November 2008 survey could be entirely legitimate, there is the possibility that it is not. Information breaches have made headlines and Marriott is quick to alert owners in the event of a breach, but unless someone questions what they've received, the breach may not even come to light.

I am sure that if someone stole names, e-mail addresses and other data from Marriott in a data breach that they were just clamoring to send a bunch of people a survey about a new vacation exchange program. This argument sounds ridiculous.

I phoned Owner Services in SLC earlier. Although very friendly and upfront, the OS rep could not recall or confirm that MVCI sent such a survey in November 2008. According to the rep, MVCI does not typically engage 3rd parties to conduct market research surveys. Since such surveys do prompt owner inquiries, MVCI is vigilant about notifying Owner Services as a matter of standard procedure prior to implementation.

I would be willing to bet Marriott DOES use an external vendor to administer these types of surveys. Marriott even uses external vendors to administer many of their reward promotions. In the past many promotion registrations directed people to a third party vendor site for registration purposes.

Last edited: