• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anybody buying?

dchilds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying yet another timeshare on the cheap, but I'm questioning my intelligence.

JMAESD84

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still buying.

I'm trying to be extremely selective in my choices.

My portfolio is already as large as I want it to be at this time to achieve the short term goals I have. I'm also disposing of some, with the goal of tailoring the portfolio to a more desired mixture.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm always looking and if the price is right I'm buying.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I was in a position of being able to make *good* use of another ownership, I'd certainly be looking---and being very picky about what I would take. It's still a buyers' market for sure.

But, I'm not in that position. I might like to make some portfolio adjustments, but I wouldn't be adding anything on until I had gotten rid of one first.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought, but will rent, too. The maintenance fees are just too high for me to buy another Marriott.

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am buying but only lockouts with low MF's. That way I maximize my usage for low $. If I can get a couple of 2 for 1 exchanges from a desireable week, I can get 4 weeks of usage from one 2-4 bedroom lockout.

Still looking for: Marriott lockouts (Gold season or better)
HGVC Points (Gold or better)
Worldmark points (8000 annual or better)
Possible SDO, but still unsure about that one.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We are in escrow to buy yet another timeshare. Marriott, Hawaii, ocean front, lockout, cheap (relatively).

HenryT

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cypress Pt, Eastern Slope Inn, HRA, SBP, WSJ, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Veranda Beach Club, HGVC Hurricane House, Wyndham: Long Wharf, Royal Vista, & SeaWatch Plantation.
I am trying to buy and sell to optimize my holdings. The plan was to sell one then buy one until I got to the position I wanted. The first cycle went well, I sold one then I purchased one. But then I saw one which was perfect for my needs so I purchased it prior to selling one. Now I need to sell two before buying another one!

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in escrow to buy yet another timeshare. Marriott, Hawaii, ocean front, lockout, cheap (relatively).

Not sure which Marriott you got, but I have not seen any Cheap, Ocean Front, Lockouts lately. Ko'Olina and MOC keep going for up to and over $10,000 each. Sure, compared to the $60,000 charged by the Developer, that seems cheap....but with their MF's of almost $2000/year, I think that the 10 year Total cost of Ownership is very negative.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Not sure which Marriott you got, but I have not seen any Cheap, Ocean Front, Lockouts lately. Ko'Olina and MOC keep going for up to and over $10,000 each. Sure, compared to the $60,000 charged by the Developer, that seems cheap....but with their MF's of almost $2000/year, I think that the 10 year Total cost of Ownership is very negative.

I'll report details after escrow closes (or Marriott exercises ROFR). I use the word "cheap" to mean substantially less than the cost of rental over time, including MF's, opportunity cost on capital, and depreciation. You are correct to point out that MF's are the major part of the analysis.

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll report details after escrow closes (or Marriott exercises ROFR). I use the word "cheap" to mean substantially less than the cost of rental over time, including MF's, opportunity cost on capital, and depreciation. You are correct to point out that MF's are the major part of the analysis.

Well, I hope your analysis is correct. When I look at Red Week, I still see plenty of 2 bedroom weeks available (during Summer) for less than $2000 and 3 bedrooms for not much more. As a person who owns an expensive Hawaii week, I can tell you that I FORCE myself to go to Hawaii every year because I just cry when I exhange it. This year, we are going to Orlando (Marriott), for a week that we could not use in 2008 (still mad about that). Even though I am very excited to stay at the Marriott Grand Vista, I think I could have rented this week for $400. So, I feel beyond stupid...but oh well.

Like I said, I hope your analysis is correct, but I hope you will go every single year (or EOY if you bought that) for the next 30 years to make sure you get your money's worth. In hindsite, I would never have bought my Hawaii TS (paid $25,000 for it), but it is too late now. You live, you learn.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I feel beyond stupid...but oh well.
Don't beat yourself up over the infrequent transaction that isn't favorable. Worry instead about whether or not your long-run value exceeds your costs. Naturally, that's a no-brainer if every transaction is positive, but that's probably an unrealistic goal.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...I'm questioning my intelligence.

That's okay. People question my intelligence all the time. ;)
However, I'd buy another TS, 'cept for some other projects that have my attention at the moment.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes

Bought a late June week in WV. I will use this every year. Maintenance fees 370 for a 2 bedroom. Bought on ebay for $1 including closing. I usually rent off season but cann't beat this in a rental for this time of year.

As you can tell ..to buy I need and in this order

1. Low maintenance fees (most resorts charge as much as I can rent for even in high season)

2. A place I will go every year ( we love the mountains and to mountain bike so there are a lot of options for this but few that rule 1 applies to)

3. Low price. (minor consideration next to maintenance fees)

Wayne

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We bought our first TS off Ebay this year in St Thomas. The price was great and the MFs are only $618. We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's reef last December and $618 is two nights there so it was a no brainer. Plus we love STT.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Well, I hope your analysis is correct. When I look at Red Week, I still see plenty of 2 bedroom weeks available (during Summer) for less than $2000 and 3 bedrooms for not much more. As a person who owns an expensive Hawaii week, I can tell you that I FORCE myself to go to Hawaii every year because I just cry when I exhange it....

Like I said, I hope your analysis is correct, but I hope you will go every single year (or EOY if you bought that) for the next 30 years to make sure you get your money's worth. In hindsite, I would never have bought my Hawaii TS (paid $25,000 for it), but it is too late now. You live, you learn.

It's a funny thing, these timeshares. I now own two (ridiculously-expensive) Marriott's in Hawaii -- one purchased earlier this year, and I have no regrets on either. They are fixed weeks in June and I go immediately when the kids get out of school, and are big enough to bring other family and/or friends (their 3BR's).

So, no financial analysis can ever justify it (or even come close) so I've reconciled it in my head (mental accounting?) that the memories and the tradition are invaluable.

So, yes, I'm still buying (or just bought at least), and would buy again if I found something that made sense for my travel plans.

Last edited:

DanM

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not buying so much as can't stop shopping. I figure if someone wants to give me a two bedroom lockout Colorado slopeside ski week with low maintenance how could I turn it down? Anyone? :D

RedDogSD

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a funny thing, these timeshares. I now own two (ridiculously-expensive) Marriott's in Hawaii -- one purchased earlier this year, and I have no regrets on either. They are fixed weeks in June and I go immediately when the kids get out of school, and are big enough to bring other family and/or friends (their 3BR's).

So, no financial analysis can ever justify it (or even come close) so I've reconciled it in my head (mental accounting?) that the memories and the tradition are invaluable.

So, yes, I'm still buying (or just bought at least), and would buy again if I found something that made sense for my travel plans.

That is the perfect way to think of it. I remember after buying my first Hawaii TS, I put together a Spreadsheet and figured out the weighted cost of capital, added in the MF's each year and would deduct each year when I went to Hawaii at $300-$500/night. It was hard to justify it. However, I just finally realized that if I did not own that TS, I would not go. Each year there would be some excuse why we could not afford to spent Buco Bucks on Hawaii vacation. So, by spending the money when we had it, we did ourselves a favor.

However, I still can't believe I let my ex talk us into buying the Marriott Ko'Olina just a few years later. Oh well.

To stay on topic, I am opening Escrow today on a Marriott Desert Springs Villas Platinum week. It is probably risky since they may roll out the points program, but I really do believe that they will HAVE to find a way to let in all of the existing owners who bought before the program rolled out. I really don't think they can exclude us (they may charge us more to join). I got a good deal, it is a lockoff, and it is 1 hour from our house so we have the triple threat (use it/rent it/trade it) easily.

Last edited:

dryden

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did

Wanted an East Coast ski spot that was drivable, week 52 and I could trade. I found one on ebay for $1 with no closing costs (Laman34 had the closing done just shy of 2 months with no issues). I was fortunate to be able to book 2 years in advance, so I booked week 52 in years 2011 & 2012. I was also fortunate enough to get the unused 2010 week (blue) for free, which I immediately banked with VRI and pulled out a 2010 xmas week in Utah. Figured I couldn't go wrong with something that fit the cost and timeframe.

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm always looking and if the price is right I'm buying.

Same here. Bought 3 in October and just recently closed.

In the process of selling 1 with contract prepared and waiting for payment. Have two other weeks that I am looking to sell.:cheer: :hi:

Asia2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
[/CODE][/CODE]
T
To stay on topic, I am opening Escrow today on a Marriott Desert Springs Villas Platinum week. It is probably risky since they may roll out the points program, but I really do believe that they will HAVE to find a way to let in all of the existing owners who bought before the program rolled out. I really don't think they can exclude us (they may charge us more to join). I got a good deal, it is a lockoff, and it is 1 hour from our house so we have the triple threat (use it/rent it/trade it) easily.

RedDog, I am ready to take the same route you are. After looking over a lot of resorts, Marriott DSV seems like the one. We are a long ways from there, but LAX is always one of the cheapest layovers from Asia. Add in many friends, Disney and all that Palm Desert has to offer and away we go. We will be doing family vacations. Please share your favorite things to do in Palm Desert, if you're a family man. By the way, did you go with DSV I or II?