• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Says Its OK to Rent an Exchange !?!

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a rental ad of a timeshare week in which the seller expicitly stated the week being sold was from an II exchange. I notified the seller that this was against II policy and that there was a risk II could cancel the week. Here is his reply:

Hi XXXXXX, I just got off the phone with XXXXX, a supervisor in the customer relations department at II. He was extremely helpful, and appreciative of my phone call and awareness/concern over the rules (and of course, I deferred the credit...saying that someone else had pointed this out to me). In any event, Jason said they would likely revoke guest certificates and cancel II memberships for those individuals that buy Getaway weeks and then resell them (which I can understand). He said they also frown on those that frequently sell there exchanged weeks, but he said that it is permissible, as the exchanged weeks are the property of the owner that deposited the week from his/her home resort. He did say, as I alluded to earlier, that if someone is exhanging several weeks from many different resorts and then selling these weeks, that they would take exception and not allow this (which is not us). I have Jason's contact info. if you want to confirm...or call me XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks.

I haven't followed up with a call to II yet, but this is entirely different from what from what I have read here on tug. What do others think?

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave_H said:
I was looking at a rental ad of a timeshare week in which the seller expicitly stated the week being sold was from an II exchange. I notified the seller that this was against II policy and that there was a risk II could cancel the week. Here is his reply:

Hi XXXXXX, I just got off the phone with XXXXX, a supervisor in the customer relations department at II. He was extremely helpful, and appreciative of my phone call and awareness/concern over the rules (and of course, I deferred the credit...saying that someone else had pointed this out to me). In any event, Jason said they would likely revoke guest certificates and cancel II memberships for those individuals that buy Getaway weeks and then resell them (which I can understand). He said they also frown on those that frequently sell there exchanged weeks, but he said that it is permissible, as the exchanged weeks are the property of the owner that deposited the week from his/her home resort. He did say, as I alluded to earlier, that if someone is exhanging several weeks from many different resorts and then selling these weeks, that they would take exception and not allow this (which is not us). I have Jason's contact info. if you want to confirm...or call me XXX-XXX-XXXX. Thanks.

I haven't followed up with a call to II yet, but this is entirely different from what from what I have read here on tug. What do others think?

I think the person is full of garbage. I would direct them to II's terms and conditions.

Last edited:

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
gmarine said:
I think the person is full of garbage. I would direct them to II's terms and conditions.
In my initial email to them, I did direct them to II terms and conditions as well a quote the relevant section. I have exchanged several emails with them and my gut tells me they are being honest. They have a 100% positive ebay feedback (8 in the last six months, 59 in the last 12 months, 314 total) and have been an ebay member for 7 years. It is at a low rated resort and even their Buy It Now is possibly lower than a MF plus exchange fees. Not exactly the type of exchange you would make if you were hoping to make a few bucks. It looks to me like they are just trying to recoup their costs. Personally, it not would surprise me if someone called II and got incorrect info. I know I have called II and been told incorrect things.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dave_H said:
I have exchanged several emails with them and my gut tells me they are being honest.

They probably just got a clueless II rep, who is talking out of some oraface besides his mouth. That is not at all unusual. Jason might very well have said it, but II won't back him up if they find out it is being done.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
They probably just got a clueless II rep, who is talking out of some oraface besides his mouth. That is not at all unusual. Jason might very well have said it, but II won't back him up if they find out it is being done.

Very true. They may have just gotten bad info from II.

AmyL4408

Reaction score
Newbie here...

Okay I'm a newbie here, but I had no idea about this rule.

If I have traded my Grande Vista week for a week at the Aruba Surf Club... And then find out later, that I'm not going to be able to visit Aruba at that time... I'm basically stuck? Can't try and sell it? Can you give it away? That seems kinda wierd to me, but like I said, I'm a newbie.

Amy :eek:

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
AmyL4408 said:
Okay I'm a newbie here, but I had no idea about this rule.

If I have traded my Grande Vista week for a week at the Aruba Surf Club... And then find out later, that I'm not going to be able to visit Aruba at that time... I'm basically stuck? Can't try and sell it? Can you give it away? That seems kinda wierd to me, but like I said, I'm a newbie.

Amy :eek:

You can get a guest certificate and give the week to a friend, relative etc. You can cancel the week and II will give you a replacement week to use within one year but you lose the exchange fee.

II's Terms and Conditions prohibit rental of exchanged weeks. Members have had the exchanges cancelled and memberships suspended. Basically you dont have the right to rent something you dont own.

Dave*H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried calling the II membership services number, and the person I spoke with told me that selling an exchange is not allowed. However, you may allow a family or friend to use it. (This is consistent with what I have read on tug.)

The seller also gave me enough info so that I could speak with the same II rep that they spoke with. That rep gave me a story that is consistent with what the seller told me. When I pointed out the inconsistency with what membership services said, the rep indicated that the official II policy is that you cannot sell exchanges. However, if the II member is in good standing, is in a bind, and doesn't do it very often, they will allow them to sell an exchange. He also added that if the member is selling GetAways, II will shut them down immediately.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave_H said:
I tried calling the II membership services number, and the person I spoke with told me that selling an exchange is not allowed. However, you may allow a family or friend to use it. (This is consistent with what I have read on tug.)

The seller also gave me enough info so that I could speak with the same II rep that they spoke with. That rep gave me a story that is consistent with what the seller told me. When I pointed out the inconsistency with what membership services said, the rep indicated that the official II policy is that you cannot sell exchanges. However, if the II member is in good standing, is in a bind, and doesn't do it very often, they will allow them to sell an exchange. He also added that if the member is selling GetAways, II will shut them down immediately.

I called an II supervisor who I have spoken with over the years. They said under no circumstances will II allow a member to rent an exchange. I told them what the II rep said and was told that it not the case. It is prohibited at all times and that this II rep is mistaken. She said there are no exceptions made and if a member is determined to be renting a unit the reservation will be cancelled and membership suspended.
If it is determined that this was done innocently by someone not knowing it is prohibited, their is some leeway to allow for the membership suspension to be waived. But under no circumstances will the rented exchange be allowed to stand.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had sveral interesting experences here.

The first involved a timeshare tour at westgate & their sales person had printed lists of getaways and said you could get 12 getaways per year and rent them for big bucks - WE Tuggers all know timeshare salespeople lie - but there are lots of folks out there that don't - and I'm sure get taken in by this.

Second interesting occurrance was a few years ago when I first joined II I had an exchange to Aruba. When it turned out that I wasn't going to be able to go - I called to cancel the exchnage. The II rep was obviously uninformed because she said -no wait - don't cancel yet. It's a great week - you should rent it. Well I did cancel but just goes - the II reps can steer you wrong as well.