• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

small point contracts

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still a newbie, so bear with me if this has been asked before. I coudln't find it with the search function.

What are the disadvantages of a small point value contract?
The context is adding to an existing account to get some more points

What (I think) I understand:

1. Smaller contracts would be harder to sell (so it matters for an exit strategy) due to a single contract owner having higher program fees/point. Not relevant for an owner of multiple contracts though, correct?

2. Smaller contacts could have less ARP value, if you cannot book the unit size that you would like

3. Smaller contracts have (potentially) higher acquisition costs. If you have to pay the resort transfer fee as an example, you end up with more $/point in costs

So if you have existing points at one resort, can you add smaller contracts to 'average' down your cost per point if the seller is paying the closing costs (and subject to the risks above)? Are there other risks that I am missing?

Craig

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I'm still a newbie, so bear with me if this has been asked before. I coudln't find it with the search function.

What are the disadvantages of a small point value contract?
The context is adding to an existing account to get some more points

What (I think) I understand:

1. Smaller contracts would be harder to sell (so it matters for an exit strategy) due to a single contract owner having higher program fees/point. Not relevant for an owner of multiple contracts though, correct?

2. Smaller contacts could have less ARP value, if you cannot book the unit size that you would like

3. Smaller contracts have (potentially) higher acquisition costs. If you have to pay the resort transfer fee as an example, you end up with more $/point in costs

So if you have existing points at one resort, can you add smaller contracts to 'average' down your cost per point if the seller is paying the closing costs (and subject to the risks above)? Are there other risks that I am missing?

Craig

I think you have it pretty much covered. I did the same thing you are thinking about doing.
I have 2 very small developer purchased CWA(Club Wyndham Access) contracts adding up to 182k. I decided to buy a resale 210k EOY (every other year) at Panama City Beach. My MF is based on 287k per year which is above the minimum program fee. Before the new purchase my cost/k was above 5.60. Now it is about 4.95/k.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
See this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195933

There can be uses for buying a small contract, namely to add names to a membership cheaply IF:

- you can get the small contract with low or no closing costs
- total cost is around the $299 Wyndham transfer fee.

I just did this for a 32k contract that I got for $350 out the door. That's a high acquisition price per point, but could save me $99 guest charges and if anything ever happens to me, the remaining owners are not stuck with a significant mf liability. (Mine commits them to less than $14/month).

That and the fact that I have plenty of points already outweighed any resale or ARP issues with small contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

So some of the knowledge is starting to stick?!? :ponder:

There I go again making assumptions again! :wall:

On a serious note: Thanks for the responses, it is appreciated and helpful.

Craig

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
See this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195933

There can be uses for buying a small contract, namely to add names to a membership cheaply IF:

- you can get the small contract with low or no closing costs
- total cost is around the $299 Wyndham transfer fee.

I just did this for a 32k contract that I got for $350 out the door. That's a high acquisition price per point, but could save me $99 guest charges and if anything ever happens to me, the remaining owners are not stuck with a significant mf liability. (Mine commits them to less than $14/month).

That and the fact that I have plenty of points already outweighed any resale or ARP issues with small contracts.

I just did the same. Got a 63,000 out the door for $138, with decent MF's.

traveldaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question on that - is ther a limit to the number of names that can be added to an account in this way?

Buy 32K, add a sister
Buy 26K, add brother in law
.....etc....

How many people can you get added this way? I can think of 7 family members I would consider this with in addtion to the spouse and I that are there already. Does Wyndham shut you down on the number of peeps eventually?

Craig

lcml11

Reaction score
Quick question on that - is ther a limit to the number of names that can be added to an account in this way?

Buy 32K, add a sister
.....etc....

How many people can you get added this way? I can think of 7 family members I would consider this with in addtion to the spouse and I that are there already. Does Wyndham shut you down on the number of peeps eventually?

Craig

A cheaper way is to buy a small points contract (deed) and add everyone you want to.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

Buy 32K, add a sister

.....etc....

Craig

No limit, really. It just depends on how complicated you want it to be. For my recent purchase I have 3 "new" names: 2 family members and a "brother-from-another-mother" from college, and we all live in different parts of the country, so you can't get much more complex than that (aside from sheer quantity)!

I recall from a similar thread in which Ron Parise posted a screenshot of his account; it had his name, variations of his name, and variations of different DBA names, all listed as "owners." Not every one of those was all on a single deed (he has dozens of contracts), but he had at least a dozen "owners" on the same account (with really only one person behind it all)! Now that's creative!

Found the thread regarding Wyndham cancelling overlapping reservations if no Guest Cert is used: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207117&highlight=overlapping

Last edited:

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A cheaper way is to buy a small points contract (deed) and add everyone you want to.

We have six (soon to be seven) owners on the account. Myself, My spouse, 2 kids, 2 variations on my wife's name and soon a close family friend that is a sort of adopted daughter. My son is 19 (so he cannot, even as an owner check in without a 21 year old) and all the rest are over 21. Not as fancy as Ron, but it covers most of the possibilities. :)

New2time

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
What is the cost to add a name after contract is complete? My son just turned 21 and thinking of adding him to our contract?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the cost to add a name after contract is complete? My son just turned 21 and thinking of adding him to our contract?

The cost is the same as to buy a new contract

The process is that you have to "sell" the contract to the new owners, ie you will "sell" to you and your son

So:

pay someone to prepare a new deed (or do it yourself)
pay the county to record the new deed
pay Wyndham's $299 transfer fee.

A CWA contract (no deed) you will do yourself, so the only cost will be Wyndhams $299

lcml11

Reaction score
The cost is the same as to buy a new contract

The process is that you have to "sell" the contract to the new owners, ie you will "sell" to you and your son

So:

pay someone to prepare a new deed (or do it yourself)
pay the county to record the new deed
pay Wyndham's $299 transfer fee.

A CWA contract (no deed) you will do yourself, so the only cost will be Wyndhams $299

If I remember right, once upon a time, it was one hundred dollars just to add a name to the deed. You may want to call Wyndham Vacation Resorts Title Department.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember right, once upon a time, it was one hundred dollars just to add a name to the deed. You may want to call Wyndham Vacation Resorts Title Department.

You cant "just add a name to a deed" You have to create a new deed.... adding new name is no different than a sale to new owners, (recording fees, etc as well as Wyndhams pound of flesh)

The transfer fee was $100 its $299 now

foofoo528

Reaction score
buying small points and adding names

bought two timeshares off of ebay and only put my name on it.

I am thinking of buying another two timeshares in the next month.... do i add my partner"s name, sister, mother, brother and sister..... in order to have additional people on the account....Is it all under one membership number?
Does it matter if it is a Access account vs. "club" account. Is the only benefit to it overlapping?

Thanks

joanncanary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Multiple contracts to add names

I just bought another small contract so I could add my one daughters name plus I wanted to get a second RCI account. Will this happen, the new RCI account? My first contract had 4 names on it for Wyndham but when it went to RCI it only contained two. I want to get a new RCI account so I can sort of avoid some of the 1 in 4 year rule or only a specified number of rooms. I am hoping that wyndham will treat this as a separate account and give me another RCI free account. Your thoughts?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no second RCI account unless Wyndham gives you a NEW member number - which means that relative (& you) will only have that small contract points.

Just buy the RCI Guest Certificate - cheaper than the GCs with Wyndham (for now :ignore:).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion only small contracts are waste of money unless you can combine it with your current point contract. .

Last edited:

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion only small contracts are waste of money unless you can combine it with your current point contract. .

Technical correction: Contracts themselves cannot be combined per se (i.e., combine a 32k Bali Hai with a 300k Bali Hai to make a single 332k Bali Hai).

Contracts can be combined under one membership number, so this example would have one membership with two Bali Hai contracts. The only requirement is for there to be at least one common member name (generally one(s) that the original membership started with) listed as an owner on both contracts. ALL owners across both contracts/deeds would be listed as "owners" under the single membership number.

I was actually under your same line of thinking until I had a need to cheaply add names to my account! :)

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai

One advantage to buying smaller contracts is that you are spreading out your SA risk, although simply buying into CWA would also accomplish that.