• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SPG Points from Explorer package

Richierich2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just at the Westin Kaanapali VIllas North property, I rented a studio for 10 days @ Rental by owner.com

I went to the timeshare presentation, and declined to buy (had already just stopped by a broker in Lahina and saw I could by the same thing for half) though they really get you excited about the extra staroption points.

I know now the best options is a resale through TUG or ebay.

At the end of it though they got me hooked to do a explorer program by showing me the increasing prices to rent next year @ expedia, and by going back for another presentation getting 50,000 SPG Points. (looks like a 5 day trip at Westin hotel to Whistler)

I called in to asked if I could actually change it to an explorer package @ Princeville since I want to go there in a year or so anyways, and but before I could ask about switching it so told me how to cancel it (which I have till the 10/22/11)

So if I can change it to Princeville and pay maybe $1000 more than renting from a owner on the TUG board, is it worth it for the SPG points to go to Princeville and tell them no again?

Since finding this site I am addicted to reading everything I can about Starwood and trying to figure out if it is best system for me. (which maybe just renting timeshares from people who don't use them) or buying a resale, though I have another 20 questions about that later.

Richie

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy Starpoints directly from SPG.

The regular price for 20,000 SPG points is $700. That is the most that you can purchase per year per account. If you and your spouse each have a SPG account, you can purchase 40,000 SPG points for $1,400.

They often go "on sale" for quite a bit less.

So, 50K SPG points for an extra $1000 is probably a wash if you were planning on going anyways...