• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was worried about doing that for fear they would sue me for the 2012 fees. Did they agree to take it back or did you just do a quit claim deed?

Westgate agreed to accept it back. You can't force a resort or anyone else to take property they don't want.

After several calls to Westgate and speaking with everyone there, I found a person who was willing to present our offer of turning over the interval to Westgate for nothing as we were ready to use your site to give it away. Now this took nearly a year but as of June 2 Westgate is now the proud owner of the interval at NO cost to us.

Bob2061

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whether you use a contract or not it up to you and the new owner - the county recorder's office and the TS title office won't ask to see it.

I have gotten two free TS's from Tuggers. For one we just did the basic title transfer and for the other the owner emailed me a basic contract that she copied from another contract.

I am completely overwhelmed at the process of giving away my Wyndham T/S in Fairfield Bay, AR. Could you please direct me to someone who would do this for me?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am completely overwhelmed at the process of giving away my Wyndham T/S in Fairfield Bay, AR. Could you please direct me to someone who would do this for me?

Honestly - it's not complicated, but I don't think you will find anyone to do it for you - unless you want to pay a $1,000 commission to a reputable broker - AFTER the transfer - NOT upfront - that's always a scam!

Here are step by step instructions:

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2012 maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple deed preparation and title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many people have used Tugger TTT (Alan) at Time Travel Traders for this service in the past, but he is retired and is referring most business to Lisa Short for this service:
readylegal@gmail.com
Phone - 706.219.2709
Fax No. 706-219-0092​

Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2012 for the new owner​

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bob2061

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly - it's not complicated, but I don't think you will find anyone to do it for you - unless you want to pay a $1,000 commission to a reputable broker - AFTER the transfer - NOT upfront - that's always a scam!

Here are step by step instructions:

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple deed preparation and title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many people have used Tugger TTT (Alan) at Time Travel Traders for this service in the past, but he is retired and is referring most business to Lisa Short for this service - www.legaltimesharetransfers.com 706-219-0092 readylegal@gmail.com Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2012 for the new owner​

Good luck!

I posted my TS. Since I've never been there I am a little fuzzy on what the place looks like but from other post pictures it looks fine. Thanks for your help.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you check on liens or other encumbrances if you accept a "free" timeshare?

Surely the resort would not release the present owner from his obligations unless the new owner agrees to take it over. That would no longer be a "free" timeshare.

Jensen44

Reaction score
Wyndham and RCI

If you sell or give away a Wyndham deed, what happens to the points banked in the RCI account? Are they completely separate? Can you keep the RCI points and continue to use them or do they stay with the deed?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you sell or give away a Wyndham deed, what happens to the points banked in the RCI account? Are they completely separate? Can you keep the RCI points and continue to use them or do they stay with the deed?

Banked points belong to the owner.

jkkinder

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do I go about listing a bargain deal?

Denise,

How do you list on the bargain deals. All the links don't seem to take you to the actual page where you can list?

Judy

Before you pay an upfront fee to someone to "take your timeshare off your hands," please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it.

Why?

-You can give it away yourself for nearly no cost.
-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You won't have to deal with companies that may or may not be Legit.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.

-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple deed preparation and title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many people have used Tugger TTT (Alan) at Time Travel Traders for this service in the past, but he is retired and is referring most business to Lisa Short for this service -
readylegal@gmail.com
Phone - 706.219.2709
Fax No. 706-219-0092Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.​

Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2012 for the new owner

4) Here is the CRITICAL step that most people miss - come back to to your post once a week and bump it with new info. to keep it on the main page.​

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The links do take you to the correct page - but you must be a TUG member to post an Ad in the Marketplace (Bargain Basement.)

However - You can post on the Bargain Deals FORUM, without being a member - see all the how-to info. in my post.

SeniorDirector

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely - HOW are you going to make them give it back to you, and WHY should the SELLER put money in an escrow account?

This SCREAMS scam!

Actually, paying money upfront to a licensed escrow account by a seller is quite normal and legal. The key is using a licensed escrow account.

How do you get your money back? Simple. Use the power of the State Real Estate or Financial Services divisions. Being licensed is required to continue in business. Running an escrow account requires the return of funds if a real estate (timeshare) transaction does not go through. If they don't return your money a simple complaint can cause them to lose their license. This is a very hot issue with these state agencies. It's not arbitrary. It's the law. Ask most active real estate brokers (not just an agent) and they'll tell you this.

As for why should a seller put money into the account? It's determined by the agreement. If it's agreed that any fees will be paid by the seller, all such fees must be paid into the escrow account prior to closing. Otherwise, there is no reason for the title company to do any of the title or other legal paperwork. After all, one of those fees is theirs. However, they don't get paid unless the deal goes through so they can't refuse to give your money back to you.

Don't pay upfront is great advice. Just understand that the important key is who you're paying that money to, how it's being secured, what happens to it throughout the process, and what can you do if the deal goes bad. Make sure you deal only with a licensed title escrow company. If you do as they require and pay up front, you're protected by state laws.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you are missing the point - the scammers don't use licensed escrow accounts, and they aren't licensed themselves, so there is no recourse.

Regardless of who is paying the fees, why should the seller pay them into escrow - why wouldn't they simple be held out of the proceeds of the sale???

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the acquistion of two Marriott Plats at the Custom House auction last year,the purchase of a year-round 2nd home on Cape Cod and this recovery from a fx. tibial plateau, I decided to pare down my 7 timeshares. Too much of a good thing can be too much of a good thing....................

There's a little background on each respective unit and then the description of the "divestiture".

This worked for me, but may not for you.

1. Small studio at the Crane(old hotel part) in Barbados. Cheap MFs, traded okay, but limited as it was a studio. Bought for @2k a few years ago and rolled it into RCI TPUs. Did okay. I emailed the Crane who agreed to take it back. Simple. No credit damage.

2. Edinburgh Residence: Classic suite. Not the high-high season, but in the "other" high group. Now a Hapimag resort. High MFs. Contacted the resort. They do not take back inventory. Was going to give it away on TUG, but contacted a TUG member who I remembered as having an interest/linnk to Edinburgh. This member graciously and gladly took it off my hands.

3. WSJ: 2 bedroom Villa. Wk. 32. Loved it, but should have bought a different week for my needs. High MFs and assessment fees (at times).
Bought (impulse buy of sorts ) for $12k a few years ago, sold it at a loss of ~$4k to a nice family who could only travel in this time period due to school vacation. Got fantastic trades with it and enjoyed a nice vacation with some nice TUG ladies. The $4k loss was, to me, worth it as the MFs and other fees were about $2700 if I recall.

Now I am back to 4 and will soon be 3 when the RTU on Allen House is up in 2014. :bawl:

Just want those who are looking to divest themselves of a unit or more to know that this is not always an overwhelming experience if you consider all your options.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

RTVERMONT

Reaction score
Timeshare in Edisto Beach, SC

Hi Denise, I own 77K Wyndham points in Edisto Beach, SC. I'm looking to sell or giveaway. I'm not sure what the process is, and it looks a bit confusing. :-/ I have paid last year's maint. fees of $645 and banked my points, and I also paid this years maintenance as well. Points arrive July 1st. Any suggestions at how I can do this? Is it more valuable with points banked? I would like to recoup some of the maintenance paid, and the closing fees if possible. Is that even possible at this point? I hear Edisto is still very desireable to own. I truly appreciate ANY input / advice that you can give me. Thank you! Ray

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Denise, I own 77K Wyndham points in Edisto Beach, SC. I'm looking to sell or giveaway. I'm not sure what the process is, and it looks a bit confusing. :-/ I have paid last year's maint. fees of $645 and banked my points, and I also paid this years maintenance as well. Points arrive July 1st. Any suggestions at how I can do this? Is it more valuable with points banked? I would like to recoup some of the maintenance paid, and the closing fees if possible. Is that even possible at this point? I hear Edisto is still very desireable to own. I truly appreciate ANY input / advice that you can give me. Thank you! Ray

Please see post #1 for step-by-step directions for giving your timeshare away.

I have no idea if your Wyndham points have any value or not.

browningse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Legal Timeshare Transfers

I was successful in giving away one of my timeshares to someone I chatted with at a party. You just never know, so tell anyone who likes to travel.
I want to add my hearty recommendation for Legal Timeshare Transfers.
Mary handled the whole process with complete professionalism, and was very good about letting me know exactly what was going on each time we emailed.
The fee was very reasonable for all the work they did. It was so smooth and pleasant, I actually felt very comfortable and confident.
http://www.lttransfers.com/

Good luck, and thanks for all the wonderful advice from all of you.
Susan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was worried about doing that for fear they would sue me for the 2012 fees. Did they agree to take it back or did you just do a quit claim deed?

Please note that linrobertson44 posted one time in June 2011, and never came back. You may be able to reach her by clicking on her blue user name and sending her an email.

The resort must AGREE to take back the deed - you can't force them to take it back.

RTVERMONT

Reaction score
Banked RCI Points?

I have sold (given away) my Wyndham timeshare for $1.00 and have a signed POS (thanks to my ad here on TUG!).

I paid for last years' maintenance fees, and am paying this years up until it's fully transferred. I told my buyer that he can have last years points that I had banked with RCI.

I thought I had read somewhere on TUG that whatever points are banked with RCI will transfer over automatically to the new owner. Is this correct? If so, the buyer would like to know how I can document this for him.

Can you help to shed some light on this for me? I've been searching here and cannot seem to find a good answer. Thank you in advance for the help!

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have sold (given away) my Wyndham timeshare for $1.00 and have a signed POS (thanks to my ad here on TUG!).

I paid for last years' maintenance fees, and am paying this years up until it's fully transferred. I told my buyer that he can have last years points that I had banked with RCI.

I thought I had read somewhere on TUG that whatever points are banked with RCI will transfer over automatically to the new owner. Is this correct? If so, the buyer would like to know how I can document this for him.

Can you help to shed some light on this for me? I've been searching here and cannot seem to find a good answer. Thank you in advance for the help!
RTVERMONT, can you explain what you mean by "RCI Points"? Is this timeshare in RCI Points (and worth maybe somewhere between 20,000 and 100,000 RCI Points a year) or is it in RCI Weeks (and worth between 8 and 60 "exchange credits" a year)? Or are you maybe talking about Wyndham points that have been deposited into RCI ?

Also, do you plan to give you RCI account to the new owner, or are you keeping your RCI account?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Having been directed to this thread by a prospective "buyer" for a free week I'm giving away, I thought I'd mention that not all free weeks require the seller to offer more than the week itself to find a good home. In other words, some resorts are valuable even if they're being offered for free and the new buyer shouldn't expect the seller to pay closing/transfer fees much less the next years maintenance fees, as encouraged in this thread.

I just gave away two Starwood weeks (one of which had >8 inquiries from TUG within a day or so of first posting it on the TUG marketplace) for free with the buyer paying all closing fees (not expensive ~$125 from Legal Timeshare Transfers) and next years maintenance fee. But, by reading this thread I also received an offer for one of the weeks - that they would "take it off my hands" if I paid next years MF and closing costs. I understand people want to get a good deal, but really...not all weeks and not all resorts need the seller to go to such extremes. And, not all sellers need to sell quickly.

My advice is to be sure you do your research before making an offer. If it's a free week at a questionable resort with poor or mediocre trading history then I would expect incentives from the seller. On the other hand, if its from a good resort, even in an overbuilt area, with an excellent trading history and part of one of the better networks, then I wouldn't expect such gifts from the seller. Basically, keep your expectations in perspective.

On a final note, please remember to be courteous. If a seller sends a private email to you in response to an offer, the least you should do is acknowledge it, even if you're aren't interested in the terms. Lots of people seem to inquire about weeks, but then don't bother to follow up with the seller, even as a courtesy.

Last edited:

CADT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been reading through this thread and still have a few questions. Some interested buyers contacted me about a t/s I have listed. I am selling it for $100. My maintenance fee is paid for this yr. They asked if I would be would be willing to pay closing costs and next years maintenance fees.
My initial reaction was no - I am taking such a loss on the selling price but I did reconsider and said I would pay the closing costs. Is this a reasonable response?
I did contact the title co in Orlando who closed for us 10 yrs ago for costs etc...
Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
I do have many banked weeks through RCI - do they need to be included in the sale, or can I keep them to use for family. I do have another t/s and will continue to be an RCI member.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
.... They asked if I would be would be willing to pay closing costs and next years maintenance fees.
My initial reaction was no - I am taking such a loss on the selling price but I did reconsider and said I would pay the closing costs. Is this a reasonable response?
I did contact the title co in Orlando who closed for us 10 yrs ago for costs etc...
Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
I do have many banked weeks through RCI - do they need to be included in the sale, or can I keep them to use for family. I do have another t/s and will continue to be an RCI member.

It was reasonable for them to ask for as much as they can get and it's also reasonable for you to either say yes or no to their request.

Check into Legal Timeshare Transfers, they will probably be the cheapest for you to use and since you are going to pay, you can control the process.

No need to include any of your future RCI usage.

jhornung

Reaction score
Timeshare sale advice

I have a return guest who is willing to buy (2) off season weeks from me. He is retired and has rented these two weeks from me for the last two years. I am basically just turning it over to him... 2014 on.
I actually rented it to him this year for less than the maintenance fees (better at the time to lose some money and not all of it) As the only cost of the timeshare for him ...he said he would pay the difference for 2013 and then just take over in 2014 and possibly the transfer fees.

What do I need to do to make this a legitimate transfer/sale?? Do I need the "resale document kit" described in "Selling Your Timeshare" article on TUG? AND/OR do I need to contact this Lisa for the Legal Timeshare Transfer service?
I'd appreciate any input or advice.
Thank you