• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maybe I should get a job with Wyndham Vacation Sales....They pay pretty good...

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's an ad on the radio here for salespeople for Wyndham....

They say they make $150,000!!:eek:

No wonder they have to charge so much in developer sales...:eek:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
There's an ad on the radio here for salespeople for Wyndham....

They say they make $150,000!!:eek:

No wonder they have to charge so much in developer sales...:eek:

Yeah and they tell unsuspecting buyers that you can go any where, any time, with your timeshare ownership.

brawney

Reaction score
The proverbial used car salesman is truly an honorable profession compared to these guys. I couldn't imagine doing this job. How can these guys sleep at night? (No offense to all the used car salesmen out there :hi: )

deedman

Reaction score
The proverbial used car salesman is truly an honorable profession compared to these guys. I couldn't imagine doing this job. How can these guys sleep at night? (No offense to all the used car salesmen out there :hi: )

I for one don't see why people have a problem with TS salesmen. If they didn't make sales, none of us would have resales to buy. Like cheapskate's they jump at the chance for something free, whether it be breakfast or some activity, and then they blame everyone else for their bad decision when they make a bad purchase. People should learn that a contract is binding, and you should never sign one without doing your homework. I for one applaud the TS salesmen, and have no pity besides for the elderly. Then again everyone else is trying to steal their money, so why not the TS salesman.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
TS Salespersons

Deedman, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. People that go to presentations just for the free stuff lie right between the TS Salesman and a Used car salesman. You are going in knowing that you will not buy but bilking the resorts out of money or services. Then when one of the fish don't make it out of the net, everybody says how bad the salespeople are, but they are the ones who paid for your breakfast, massage, tequila or what ever else you get. So the next time you are thinking of the person that didn't get away send them a few bucks and pay for that breakfast they bought you.

About PC companies. They do a service for a portion of the timeshare world. Look at it this way, the people that they are getting these units from do not want to pay maintenance fees anymore. If they stop paying guess who pays, that's right you and me. So let them pay to get rid of them, and hopefully someone that buys it will pay the fees. Orrrrrrrrrr can someone call Obama and get a timeshare bailout going.

Last edited:

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point. I am a lucky one that has gone to several TS presentations but always walked away with information,a gift, and occasionally a week to come back and visit again at a very reduced rate, but never fallen for the buy it right this instant scheme. I never make any BIG decision like dropping thousands of $$$ on the spur of the moment whem! If the deal will not be there later for me to purchase then I am able to smell something very fishy and know not to bite!!! I have had a few of the sales people not be hard ballers and just give me information, I tell them I will think about it and they give me a sheet in writting that I have until X date to get that offer.....sometimes at the end of the week I am staying there, some upto a year later. That is smart b/c you feel comfortable enough to leave do some checking and then make a decision. Now if the person does no checking and pays full price is that any different that going into a store and paying full price for lets say....a furniture set, then fining out your friend got the same furniture for 50% less on sale at a different store???? Happens all the time. In life there are people who are frugal and will spend the time it takes to check around and make an educated purchase and those that feel they can't be bothered with spending time looking around and just go thru life always making impulse purchases. It will not change! I think ANY sales job is to point out all the positives and try to pretend or hide that there are also negatives!!! That burden always lies with the consumer to do themselves do diligence..........that said some twists and blatant lies do get told by TS salesmen at the resorts and the companies don't seem to do anything to stop it as long as they are making great profits....that I find highly disturbing. Lies should NEVER be allowed!
I do feel bad for people that were lied to. It is harder to feel overly sorry for someone that just makes bad choices and regrets them after the fact.....we have all done that sometime in life wither with something small or big. But as long as you learn from the mistake it quickly become water under the bridge and you become a smarter consumer! And all the smart consumers in all areas of life are getting something better b/c of the people that are not smart consumers! When you buy a new home........how hard do you negotiate? Two people in the same neighborhood often own identical homes yet payed differnt prices...........that's life!
At least everyone at TUG is now a smart consumer thanks to all the available informaiton floating around the internet about TS's! And now we all jump at snagging up great deals we find........mostly b/c of someone that didn't find a good deal first........so really we have SOMETHING to be thankful of these TS sales people for..........the good deals we get on resales!

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, these claims are being made by timeshare salesmen. You need to always look at with healthy skepticism on any such claims.

When Wyndham says make up to $150k selling timeshares, it would be like saying:

Join our basketball camp. We are the world's best. Top players who come through our camp score over 25 points per game in the NBA.

Timeshare selling at the resort is extremely difficult. You get paid minimum wage if you don't sell. Everyone coming to meet you is trying to convince you that they don't need one and are just there for the free gift.

Sure, top timeshare salesmen make $150-300k per year. That's true. But, in a bullpen of 100 timeshare salesmen, 50 of them will drop out after 1-2 months not making any sales in that time. May the top 5 make $150k. The average is probably about $40-60k.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The first sales presentation we went to was at the Marriott on Kaui'i in Lihu'e. in 1999 The salesman was extremely good. Very professional.

I have little doubt that he was earning close to $200,000 per year.

As mentioned above, in any commissioned, high-ticket sales environment (not just timeshares) there will be handful of top performers that create a vastly disproportionate number of sales. The top 20% of producers will often generate two-thirds to three-quarters of the sales. (And even within this group the elite producers might account for half of the sales in that upper echelon.) And they will be well-compensated. After that there will be a larger group, maybe 40% of the sales force) that contributes almost all of the remaining sales. The top people in that group will do OK; the lower portion of that group will be hanging on.

The remaining 40% or so contribute little to sales and have a very high turnover rate. These people make almost no sales, earn minimum wage if they're lucky, and are soon gone. Most sales offices expect that churn; that turnover provides a steady stream of new employees, and a good sales manager picks out unpolished talents in that high turnover pool and mentors those people into effective members of the productive sales force.

As one mentor mentioned to me one time, if you can sell you have the best job security you can possibly have. No matter how difficult the economic environment, a sales person who can bring in business will always have a job. If a company is so stupid as to lay off productive sales staff during a downturn, that's not a company you should be working for anyway, and there will always be another, better company that will find room for a person who can bring in business.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And go over to the dark side??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

darthVader.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

AFARR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not quite...

Deedman and Nazclk,

Deedman, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. People that go to presentations just for the free stuff lie right between the TS Salesman and a Used car salesman. You are going in knowing that you will not buy but bilking the resorts out of money or services.

I beg to differ. It would be different if the person walked in and walked out with the stuff and didn't spend any time there.

They spend time/$$ getting there and spend time listening to the sales spiel. The "free stuff" isn't really free....they are using it to buy the person's time. Then they have the chance to make a sale....I was told at one of the sales spiels that 1/4 buy there....they KNOW that ratio. But, they need to bring the other 3/4 in also to have a chance at getting the sale made.

AFARR

Edited to Add...my original post was to be a bit of sarcasm (I'm not unhappy with my chosen career).

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amounts

AFARR I know there are some, buy not many that go to presentations whose time is worth $100 to $200 an hour, please. (Excluding the Mayan Prison whare the hourly rate would be less as they hold you for 6-8 hours) I have heard of people going to 6 or 7 just to pay for their vacation.
That's why the people that buy pay a lot. They are paying for the people that vacation for free. I think it's enough beating this horse, it's almost soap
Some people will get nailed, just like with new cars, then when they are used they are a lot cheaper. Honestly I would like to go to a few presentations just to joust with them but my wife won't go. If I could go by myself it would be fun. :hysterical:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
owner updates

I don't think they apply in the big scheme of things as they know you are an owner and I think they give you a $50 credit on your bill, whooopeee

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
....I was told at one of the sales spiels that 1/4 buy there....they KNOW that ratio. But, they need to bring the other 3/4 in also to have a chance at getting the sale made.

That is my justification for going to a presentation without feeling guilty. Thanks for the excuse. They need me to bolster their odds that the next person will buy.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If timeshare wasn't such a scam bought from a developer, they wouldn't need to lure people in with free gifts.

The whole thing is just so sleazy, and timeshare salespeople are liars to make a living. How do they sleep at night, except to buy into their own lies. And some lies are just so outrageous, it's impossible for me to go anymore.

My name is Cindy, and it's now been two years since my last timeshare presentation..... :rofl: