• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Royal Resorts New Visitors' Policy

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
(Received yesterday by email from the Royal Resorts)

"New Visitors' Policy as of July 6, 2008

With your comfort in mind and due to excessive numbers of day visitors in previous years and the additional pressure on resort services that this entails, we have implemented a new visitor policy.

When you invite friends and relatives who are not staying at any of the Royal Resorts to spend the day with you, the visitors must register at the front desk on arrival and purchase a Day Pass. The Day Pass costs $100 pesos per person which will be charged to your club bill and entitles them to use resort installations and services from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Maximum 4 persons per unit per day. Applies for ages 3 or older."

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's a smart move on their part. $100 pesos is nominal and should help them maintain the quality of their grounds and amenities. During spring break especially there seem to be large groups of h.s. and college age students; one starts to wonder if they're all actually staying there.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Idea! At least we know who is staying there.
Does any one know what the green bands are for that they are sending out now? We recieved them but no explanation. Printing on says:ROYAL CLUB VACATION

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea, but how would they enforce it? If you have a villa you can check out 6 towels even if there are fewer than 6 of you, so you could hand them out to your friends. If you're at a restaurant on-site they only need to see one club card. I can't imagine them asking everyone who comes in the front door to show their club card......

I don't know about the wrist bands. Are these coming in the mail?

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
The wrist bands came in the mail along with the papers from ISCO for purchasing a villa.(resale)
The front desk and the one the opens car doors, etc at the entrance has
asked if we where members staying there. When we have had friends come over and met in the front, they have also asked the names and how long they would stay.
I am sure you could get around this is you want to but we never have. The guest can not spend money so it is always on our bill.

launes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wrist bands would make sense. They could be issued at the front desk to registered guests upon check-in. Visitors would have to get wristbands also, but of another color, identifying them as visitors. Visitor colors could be changed daily so visitor wristbands would not be able to be used on subsequent visits. Anyone without a valid wristband would be questioned.

jimelko

TUG Member
Reaction score
wristbands

Wrist bands would make sense. They could be issued at the front desk to registered guests upon check-in. Visitors would have to get wristbands also, but of another color, identifying them as visitors. Visitor colors could be changed daily so visitor wristbands would not be able to be used on subsequent visits. Anyone without a valid wristband would be questioned.

I hope they do not do wristbands ,I really do not want wear one the whole vacation looks so tacky, for a resort of this caliber it should not be nessecary.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally feel that this is just another way for the Royals to start to nickle and dime us. I just got charged for a foreign fee on my credit card for paying for my Club Service Fee. I thought paying ISCO in Ft. Lauderdale meant no foreign fee.

Guests who are there, eat and drink and pay. I don't bring guests who are not registered, but a trivial $10 is a joke. I don't think the gas crisis has hit the Royals and they should not start charging trivial fees.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always use my credit card to pay the bill and never have had to pay a
foriegn fee.???? They do 'adjust'' the peso to the American dollar...
if that is the fee you are talking about.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nana i paid my Club Service Fee on June 30. On July 2 I was charged with a $15.86 Foreign Fee for that payment. First time ever i had that charge. It has nothing to do with peso-dollars. I understand paying the bill in Mexico gets the foreign fee, but shouldn't be when paying ISCO in Ft. Lauderdale.

Last edited:

Blue Skies

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe,

Did you call the ISCO number 1-800-930-5050 to pay the annual fee? I have always paid by credit card calling that number and have never been charged a foreign transaction fee.

I don't understand why you would be charged a foreign exchange fee if you are paying in American dollars to a company based in America.

nana7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe, I am sorry I misunderstood you but I have never been charged a fee
for paying any thing to ISCO. I would call to find out why and when this started.

jschmidt

Reaction score
A peso here a peso there and pretty soon you have a dollar in someone else’s pocket. I’m wondering if the Mexican nationals who vacation in the summer with many children are bring their amigos over to spend time at the Royal Resorts and if they are putting a strain on the facilities. This may be the cause of the problem. (PJ: What was the situation while you were there for the last few weeks? Were outsiders invading the Royals?)

I am totally opposed to wearing a bracelet. I refuse to wear a bracelet! Bracelets are not a good idea! Resist bracelets! We’ll look like the “all-inclusive” bunch when we get on the bus with the dumb bracelet on our wrist! Down with bracelets! :annoyed:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
(PJ: What was the situation while you were there for the last few weeks? Were outsiders invading the Royals?)

I didn't notice any invasion. I saw the same faces (usually friendly ones) over and over. In fact there was no problem getting pool chairs, I didn't see unattended towels enjoying the chairs, and there wasn't even a problem getting shade! During week 24 the Tris were downright empty, and during 25 and 26 pool chairs didn't fill up till 12:00 noon! Restaurants onsite were never even 1/2 full. The only time I saw anything resembling a crowd was at the sundeck welcome parties.

Maybe during Mexican weeks or Spring Break weeks, as mentioned above, there is an excess of extra people?

jschmidt

Reaction score
Over the years I would have thought that a day-pass visitor or two would have been impressed enough to result in several sales. The resort should be welcoming them with open (salesmen) arms.

Mr. Richard Sutton is getting out of the day-to-day management of the Royals and has turned it over Mr. Richard Corso, the fellow that has the "Natural Golf" thing between the Mayan and Caribbean and also the red Corvette that’s parked under cover at the Mayan by the laundry room. Guess he's come up with a new way to mine for dollars.

I still don’t like the bracelet idea today. A more acceptable alternate would be to implant a “Member’s Chip” in our ear or some other body part.

maja651

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea, but how would they enforce it? If you have a villa you can check out 6 towels even if there are fewer than 6 of you, so you could hand them out to your friends. If you're at a restaurant on-site they only need to see one club card. I can't imagine them asking everyone who comes in the front door to show their club card......

I don't know about the wrist bands. Are these coming in the mail?

Actually, that is not true regarding the towels. When we were at the Sands in April this year, they enforced a "rule" they said they have always had (although we had never experienced it). The rule is that you are only allowed ONE towel per person staying in the villa. It doesn't matter if you are in an entire villa, if you have 2 people staying there, they will only let you check out TWO towels. I fought this rule HARD and even spoke to the general manager of operations of all of the Royal Resorts when I was there. My point was this. I am PAYING the FULL maintenance. Just because I do not crowd up the resort with 6 people does not mean that I should not have the same rights and benefits as those who do. If I want 6 towels, I feel I deserve them, as i have paid for them. Also, to counter his "trying to save money on laundry" comment, I explained to him that if that was the case, then why did they allow people to exchange their wet towels for dry towels several times a day, without any papers signed or anything? To ME, that is the biggest laundry expense.

The manager was a considerate guy who told me they could allow exceptions to the rule for us, but in general, they are only supposed to give out one towel per person.

Michelle

P.S. I am 100% OPPOSED to any type of wrist bands. NO WAY would I wear one. YUCK!

P.S.S. Maybe we go during the off season, but I have never noticed lots of day visitors at the Royals. The $100 pesos per person per day seems pretty nominal to me though, considering how much we as members have already paid for our units to begin with, and then our annual maintenance fees to boot. In fact, and I will probably be starting a controversy with this comment, but I presonally would prefer that day visitors are not allowed at all. I HATE the idea of the resorts getting crowded with people that are not staying at the Royals. Isn't that why we pay so much for these resorts, to AVOID the crowded hotel type places?

launes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am totally opposed to wearing a bracelet. I refuse to wear a bracelet! Bracelets are not a good idea! Resist bracelets! We’ll look like the “all-inclusive” bunch when we get on the bus with the dumb bracelet on our wrist! Down with bracelets! :annoyed:

I too am AGAINST the bracelet idea. My response (see post #6) was merely to answer the question posed by pjrose in post #4. I do agree, however, that it appears that the Royals are really watching their pesos and are trying to come up w/ new ways to accomplish this. Case in point: the elimination of the complimentary cocktail and taco parties. I hope the methods they are implementing do not come back and bite them. The Royals have a reputation to uphold and protect and they must be careful.

jschmidt

Reaction score
The wrist bands came in the mail along with the papers from ISCO for purchasing a villa.(resale)

I bought a resale last year and two bands also came with the paper work. I asked ISCO what the purpose was and they said they were just give-aways. These were just little stretch bands not the permanent one-week type that the "All-Inclusive" guys wear on the bus. We had a great time with them when we went to the Mayan and asked others why they weren't wearing their bands or we claimed we had won them at the Sunday party and we're getting free drinks all week, etc., etc. :whoopie:

By the way we didn't like the location of the resale so I resold the resale and bought another resale this year. Hope I get two more bands when the final paper work gets here next month.

Last edited:

DosMasCervesos

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the Royal Sands right now. I'd say it is pretty full, but I wouldn't consider it overcrowded. We were able to get shaded pool and beach chairs, even though we didn't get out to the beach until 11-ish. Having a great time! Uh ohh: 3PM now, happy hour just started. Time to get off the laptop! :)

Matt

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maja651 has an interesting point about 1 towel per person. We've occasionally run into that too, but generally we just tell the towel guy how many we want and he gives them to us. I don't know if they check the computer to see how many people are registered. We keep our towels for days, hanging them to dry overnight.

I like what JSchmidt did with the bracelets and "free drinks" all week - fun!

I wouldn't want to have to wear one, though.

I have no problem with the $10/person fee - I certainly wouldn't want the resort overrun either, but if someone is coming over, say a relative who is staying at a different resort, it's reasonable. I just don't see how they'll really enforce it and whether it'd be worth the trouble to get maybe $100 a day!

Enjoy Happy Hour, Matt !

Cancun Joe

Reaction score
I am also opposed to the wrist band concept,This 100 P is very unfair , we are a couple using our Villa 2 people while the family next door has a family of 6, using more of services than a 2person family,but we will becharged 200p for 2 day guest and will still be under the number of 6 in the villa next door go figure.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am also opposed to the wrist band concept,This 100 P is very unfair , we are a couple using our Villa 2 people while the family next door has a family of 6, using more of services than a 2person family,but we will becharged 200p for 2 day guest and will still be under the number of 6 in the villa next door go figure.

good point

joanLunde

Reaction score
I was wondering what the rule would be if you just had people spend an evening with you and just stayed in the unit for the evening...if they would have to pay 100 pesos each then that is robbery...also what if you had a party in the unit and invited 20 people ? Also to put my own 2 cents in to me it looks like they are hurting trying to pay back the VCI residuals and looking to get every possible penny...why are they still charging 1.00 for each owner for a hurricane fund...it's been 4 yeas now and they have collected 240,000.00 where did that money go....

jschmidt

Reaction score
The “New Visitors’ Policy” is being discussed on the Royal Resorts’ “Message Board”. Opinions are being expressed on both sides. Go over and get your two cents in!

AKGOLFER

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems fair to me

I think charging 100 pesos for guests not staying at the Royal Resorts is fair.

And Joe, I think in your example of only having 2 people in your entire villa, you could just add them to your registered guests and then wouldn't have to pay the 100 pesos just like those that register 6 people. So I would imagine that this rule will affect less than 1% of owners/renters and for those <1% 100 pesos per non Royal Resort guest seems more than fair.

I believe like early posts, this is to help control some owners/renters from bringing in a large group of guest and overloading the facility at the expense of other owners.

Can't wait until my next trip to the Sands!