• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Physicians Call for Dr. Oz to be fired

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dr Oz Should Go, Say 10 Physicians in Letter to Columbia
Robert Lowes
April 17, 2015

Columbia University should fire faculty member, cardiothoracic surgeon, and TV personality Mehmet Oz, MD, because of conduct unbecoming of a medical school professor, 10 physicians say in a letter to the university.

The physicians cited his "disdain for science and for evidence based medicine," his "baseless opposition to genetically modified foods [GMOs]," and his promotion of "quack treatments" for financial gain.

"We are surprised and dismayed that Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons would permit Dr. Mehmet Oz to occupy a faculty appointment, let alone a senior administrative position (vice chair) in the Department of Surgery," the physicians wrote.

"Dr. Oz is guilty of either outrageous conflicts of interest or flawed judgments about what constitutes appropriate medical treatments, or both," they wrote. "Whatever the nature of his pathology, members of the public are being misled and endangered, which makes Dr Oz.'s presence on the faculty of a prestigious medical institution unacceptable."

The lead author of the letter is Henry I. Miller, MD, who was the medical reviewer at the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the first genetically engineered drugs evaluated by the agency. Dr Miller was " instrumental in the rapid licensing of human insulin and human growth hormone," according to his bio on the website of Stanford University's Hoover Institution, where he is the Robert Wesson Fellow in Scientific Philosophy and Public Policy. He also served as the founding director of the FDA's Office of Biotechnology Products.

Earlier this month, Slate published an article coauthored by Dr Miller that accused Dr Oz of irresponsibly trying to scare the public about genetically modified foods, including the "Arctic apple," designed not to brown.

In an email interview with Medscape Medical News, Dr Miller said that he had shared the letter to Columbia University with several journalists and editors he knows.

Dr Oz did not respond to a request for an interview. However, a post today on his Facebook page appears to rebut the letter.

"I bring the public information that will help them on their path to be their best selves," he wrote. "We provide multiple points of view, including mine which is offered without conflict of interest. That doesn't sit well with certain agendas which distort the facts. For example, I do not claim that GMO foods are dangerous, but believe that they should be labelled like they are in most countries around the world. I will address this on the show next week."

The letter to Columbia University was addressed to Lee Goldman, MD, dean of the Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine. A university spokesperson declined to grant an interview with Dr Goldman, saying that "the university doesn't comment about specific individuals."

The spokesperson also shared the university's reply to the letter from the 10 physicians, which read: "As I am sure you understand and appreciate, Columbia is committed to the principle of academic freedom and to upholding faculty members' freedom of expression for statements they make in public discussion."

Four Doctors Tied to Group Supporting Genetically Modified Food

At first glance, it's not clear what the 10 signatories to the letter have in common besides their convictions about Dr Oz. One is a colleague of Dr Miller's at the Hoover Institution — Scott Atlas, MD, its David and Joan Traitel Senior Fellow.

Others have positions in academia as well, such as Joel Tepper, MD, a professor of cancer research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine. Two are emeritus professors — Jack Fisher, MD, at the University of California, San Diego; and Gordon Gill, MD, emeritus dean of translational medicine at the same institution. Still another signatory is Glenn Swogger Jr, MD, the retired director of the Will Menninger Center for Applied Behavorial Sciences at the Menninger Foundation in Topeka, Kansas.

What's not readily apparent is that four physicians who signed the letter have ties to the American Council on Science and Health (ACSH), a nonprofit educational and advocacy group that has defended genetically modified food. The letter lists one signatory, Gilbert Ross, MD, as the group's acting president and executive director. Dr Fisher is a current member of the board of trustees, while Dr Swogger and Dr Miller are former trustees.

Dr Miller told Medscape Medical News that the signatories do not share any organization affiliation.

"I am personally or professional acquainted with all of them," he wrote. "What they have in common is that they have a commitment to science and evidence-based medicine."

When it was later noted that several of the signatories are past and present ACSH officials, Dr Miller replied, "The only common thread is that they're smart docs." He noted that Dr Fisher was a professor of plastic surgery at his medical school.

Medscape Medical News asked Dr Miller if the letter's main bone of contention with Dr Oz is his stance on genetically modified food.

"It's the whole constellation of his fear-mongering (genetic engineering, arsenic in apple juice, Ebola virus becoming transmissible through the air, etc., etc.) and his recommendations of snake oil (garcinia extract, green coffee bean extract) and dangerous advice (discontinuing prescription drugs such as Plavix)," Dr Miller replied.

The Latest Public Rebuke

The physicians' letter to Columbia University is the latest public rebuke of the controversial Dr Oz.

In June 2014, he received a scolding from Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) in a hearing about ads for bogus diet products. McCaskill said Dr Oz bore responsibility for perpetuating fraud on his eponymous television show. "I don't get why you need to say this stuff because you know it's not true," McCaskill said at the hearing. "When you call a product a miracle, and it's something you can buy and it's something that gives people false hope, I just don't understand why you need to go there."

Dr Oz replied that he "personally believe in the items that I talk about on the show."

An article published online in the British Medical Journal in December 2014 found that of 80 randomly selected healthcare recommendations made on The Dr Oz Show, roughly half lacked believable evidence, or else the evidence contradicted them.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dr Oz replied that he "personally believe in the items that I talk about on the show."

I don't know what disturbs me more. That he may be getting paid to push products on his show (and I don't know this to be a fact) or that he actually believes in the snake oil he's promoting. :eek:

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Why I No Longer Watch The Dr. Oz Show.

I specially disliked the Dr. Oz episode featuring Montel Williams promoting "medical" marijuana so aggressively that the experts who were there to discuss the matter could not get a word in edgewise. After that, I quit watching any more episodes of Dr. Oz.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
His show was the one following the 7-9AM morning shower & coffee show .. maybe 20 shows over a year's time or so ... my QUACK meter was flipping to the BS side almost every show ... I just routinely thought ... NEED to get to work; this is dribble and a waste of my time.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't watch him. I did a couple of times and felt like I was watching a snake oil salesman.

Fern

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Oh gosh, I don't watch him!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
His show should be a late night info-Mercial

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I used to see him on one of the TV screens at the gym while I worked out. He had such silly visualizations of medical information I was thinking that he ran out of ideas for the show and had to do anything lame brain idea they could come up with. Unfortunately, all the negative publicity will probably just increase his ratings.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
ratings ratings ratings

Any TV show needs good ratings to stay on. People want to be surprised, intrigued, and excited. It seems to me it would be very hard to keep good ratings with dry, technical, information.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked him early on when he educated, informed & advised people on general health principles and the importance of proactive screenigs instead of promoting "stuff" as he does now.

Haven't watched him in a couple/few years. Prefer "The Doctors" now. I am disappointed in the way he mismanaged what was health education.

Here are two interesting articles. One is on removing a tenured Columbia medical professor and those calling for it. It's an interesting back & forth read especially the GMO labeling theory.

Point: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2...st-dr-oz-threatens-to-backfire-spectacularly/
Disclainer: Yes, Orac/Gorski is considered a quack of sorts himself and this is not a peer reviewed article (nor will it ever be).

Counterpoint: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ho-think-hes-saving-them-from-monsantos-gmos/

And the gloves are off.

-

Last edited:

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you took all the supplements he recommended, you would not only be broke but would spend all day popping these pills or drinking the elixirs....plus we don't know how all this stuff interacts with with each other or any prescription drugs you might be taking. I used to watch him, but no more. His audience even annoys me:eek:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I lost all interest and faith in his advice after he ceased to give good, sound general health advice (control weight, exercise, eat a varied diet) and began endorsing snake-oil, 'health-in-a-bottle' easy way out shenanigans not based on sound health science.

When he had a 3-5 minute segment on Oprah he could stay on topic and keep it interesting and informative. After he got his own show and had sponsors and ratings to satisfy, his 'train' left the rails.

It's time to go.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
He taped a show on Tuesday, to air on Thursday, saying, "I will not be silenced!" He will follow the airing with an appearance on Today Friday morning.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/21/media/dr-mehmet-oz-accusations/index.html

Why do I get the distinct impression he isn't going quietly. I still won't watch.

Of course Thursday is the beginning of ratings sweep week.

Do people know how much hard work and sacrifice is required to become a cardiothoracic surgeon at a prestigious institution like Columbia? To throw that all away to make some $$ pushing green coffee bean extract or raspberry ketones I find just shocking. I don't know of one MD that respects him anymore.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow ... a TV personality doing on a TV "interview" the personality TV "NEWS SHOW" .... I am so stunned! (NOT!)

And that is WHY NBC News is on the bottom of all "TV News" at my house - the VERY LAST ONE to watch!

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
He lost me when he got all young mothers afraid to give their children apple juice.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Dr Oz has brought up many controversial topics because he is running a TV health show. A program like his has the need to address many aspects of the health industry to stay relevant or interesting. No one would watch his show if it were otherwise.

I haven't watched a single episode of his show but because of the wooha now going on , I just might.

It kind of looks like the claims against Dr Oz will actually boost his credibility.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hil...a-new-controversy-20150420-column.html#page=1

Sometimes a cogent attack on a worthy target ends up making the target stronger. That may be happening with last week's letter signed by 10 physicians urging Columbia University to sever its ties with Dr. Mehmet Oz, who has made a fortune promoting quack nostrums to his huge television audience.

Oz's TV producers say he'll be devoting a large portion of a forthcoming "Dr. Oz" show, probably Thursday's, to a counterattack. Of the doctors behind the letter, the producers say, "We plan to show America who these authors are, because discussion of health topics should be free of intimidation."

Bill

Last edited:

rleigh

Reaction score
I hate when legitimate docs endorse quackery, and I also hate when they shun naturopathy.

But when I got to the part where the docs took Oz to task regarding GMO's, they lost all credibility with me.

I'm not arguing if GMO's are bad or good, but it's pretty suspicious and baffling that the pro-GMO crowd tries so hard to force it on others when there is so much we don't know. (And what we do know isn't all that great, either.)

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I hate when legitimate docs endorse quackery, and I also hate when they shun naturopathy.

But when I got to the part where the docs took Oz to task regarding GMO's, they lost all credibility with me.

I'm not arguing if GMO's are bad or good, but it's pretty suspicious and baffling that the pro-GMO crowd tries so hard to force it on others when there is so much we don't know. (And what we do know isn't all that great, either.)

I agree !!! I would add other products into this group as well. Look at Roundup. It is used on all kinds of crops and was labled "safe". Not so much.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/roundup-ingredient-probably-carcinogenic-humans/

Health officials are raising new concerns about the most widely used herbicide in the world.

Earlier this month, the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer announced findings that glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s RoundUp line of pesticides, is “probably carcinogenic to humans.”

Now that Dr Oz has exposed these guys as paid gmo enthusiasts do they and their supporters lose credibility ? Yup. Is Dr Oz a crazy TV show host that sensationalizes health for profit ? Yup.

Bill

linpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't put a lot of credibility in Dr. Oz's product marketing but as another poster pointed out - he had to be the real thing when it came to surgery and achieving tenure at Columbia.

On the other hand at least one of his critics was reported to have served time for Medicare fraud. He who is without....

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't put a lot of credibility in Dr. Oz's product marketing but as another poster pointed out - he had to be the real thing when it came to surgery and achieving tenure at Columbia.

On the other hand at least one of his critics was reported to have served time for Medicare fraud. He who is without....

It's not only the 10 signatures of the letter who are his critics, but literally every MD I know, and I know quite a lot, have turned very negative on their views of him.

geekette

Reaction score

yeah, I found the fraud bit interesting in an accusation that comes down to professional integrity. Pushing supplements bad but stealing govt money good? Seems to depend on whose pocket the profits land in.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited: