• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cataract Surgery Need Advice [ update ]

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had eye exam and was told I need cataract surgery. in both eyes. Doctor said I need to tell them I want the basic standard procedure as that is all my Medicare Advantage Insurance Plan covers. He also said that a lot his patients who got talked into the new types of lenses were very unhappy with the results afterward.

In researching the lens options, it appears that there are two ways for me to go using the standard basic lenses. One is distance correction for both eyes, the other is distance in one eye and closeup in the other eye. Since I wear no line bifocals I'm not sure which way to go. Search said if you have worn mono vision contacts without any issues then this would be way to go, otherwise you may have trouble adjusting to the mono vision lenses. I have never been able to wear contacts so I don't know if I would be able to adjust to them or not. If I go with the distance lens in both eyes then I would need to wear reading glasses for close up work on the computer or for reading.

For those of you who have had the surgery, which way did you go and why?

Suzanne

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I just had mine done. I have worn glasses all my life and thought of having to constantly put readers on and off was not appealing. After I had the first one done with the distance lens, the Dr had me wear a contact in the other eye for 2 days to see how it would feel to have near sight in the other eye. I thought I would have trouble because when I first got progressive lenses, I feel over a curb. I decided that I would go with the near/far option.

I am glad I did. However, be aware that after cataract surgery you will not have mid-range vision. I find that I have to either sit closer or farther away to read on the computer. Wouldn't have mattered even if I had chosen both eyes the same option.

The other bad thing is that when you no longer glasses, you now see the bags and wrinkles.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think anyone can wear contacts if they give them a chance. If I were you, I'd try the monovision approach via contacts, then also possibly try the multifocal approach and distance only approach, again via contacts, before I had lens replacement surgery.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do a search here using the term 'cataract'. It's been discussed many times. Here's a thread http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215638&highlight=cataract that discusses it. Monovision is addressed in post 20.

I had LASIK (and PRK) and the doc gave me monovision- where one eye is corrected for better distance vision and one eye works better up close. Your brain does the work of averaging it out. Most of the time I don't wear glasses at all, and can pass a driver's eye test, and have no difficulty with computer or reading menus. I DO have bifocal glasses for times when I want better vision for extended reading or driving. It works for me. Perfect, NO. You won't have the eyes of a 20 year-old fighter pilot, but monovision is a reasonable compromise. I thought at the time, that I would have preferred to simply have great distance vision, and rely on reading glasses for close work, but after realizing that you'd have reading glasses either hanging around your neck or cluttering every horizontal surface in your life, this seems the best way.

Jim

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Where to start...I had cataract surgery in my right eye last April. I did a LOT of research wrt which lens to implant and, in fact, postponed the surgery a few months because I kept vacillating between mono and multi focal. I finally decided on the mono focal lens as I wasn't willing to take the ~15% chance that I would have the potential issues associated with the multis. That said, most people seem to be extremely happy with them and I sometimes regret not getting them!

Re the costs, my insurance also only pays for the basic lenses, however, you have the option of covering the incremental cost which I would have gladly done. So unless finances are an issue for you, you do have the option of getting the multis. In fact, I had to have a toric lens installed due to astigmatism and the insurance considered that a 'premium' lens...go figure. I had to cover the additional $900 for that lens.

The cataract in my left eye was so small that I didn't need the surgery right away and I was able to test drive monovision (one near/one far) and loved it from day one. I do wear prescription glasses when driving to give me that extra crispness, but it's not necessary at all. I did have issues with night vision...same as with the multis. Arghhhhhh.

I had the surgery in my left eye last month, electing to continue with the near/far combo. Even though my far vision is not quite 20/20, it's better than DH's (with his glasses) who is extremely myopic. i haven't yet driven at night so it will be interesting to see if my night vision issues went away with the surgery in both eyes now. If not, I'll be quite annoyed as that was my main issue with not going with the multis. Getting rid of my glasses was 2nd.

Take your time and do a LOT of research. Good luck, you will love your new 'bionic' eyes.

Ingrid

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
In researching the lens options, it appears that there are two ways for me to go using the standard basic lenses. One is distance correction for both eyes, the other is distance in one eye and closeup in the other eye.

I have distance in one eye and closeup in the other. I am very pleased with it. My brain does all the adjusting without me thinking about it.

George

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was born with one eye nearsighted and the other eye farsighted. It took until the 5th grade (and my other 4 siblings (both younger and older) already had corrective glasses) that it was decided I needed to be tested.

Your brain adjusts to "see" the clear image - but my brain HAD to be trained to USE both eyes together.

It is painless - unless you lose sight in one eye (disease or accident) ... your brain just pictures the better picture.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all you help. I tried contacts several times and just could not wear them. I tried the mono vision and the bifocals ones. Tried wearing just one for close up without one in other eye for distance. Then tried the reverse one for distance and nothing for close up. Neither way seemed to work for me. It seemed to be more of a lens issue than a vision issue. I just could not adjust to having them in my eyes. Once I got them in, I had trouble getting them out. I finally just gave up on them. Then eye doctor said due to my stigmatism I would never be able to wear contacts with any success. That was first time I knew I had a stigmatism. I just want Superman's eyes without any of the hassle of getting them! sigh....:bawl:

Suzanne

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I also had the mono vision lens done when I had my cataract surgeries about nine years ago. I had been very successful with mono vision contact lens so I had no problems adjusting.

I love not having to wear glasses or use readers, although from time to time if I'm very tired or if I've taken medicine like cold tablets I notice that I need readers to be able to see smaller print sharply. For day to day use though I don't need them.

The eye doctor did have a pair of glasses made for me where the far vision is corrected in both eyes to use for night driving, if necessary. I sometimes use the glasses when I'm at a movie or a play to make the distance sight a little sharper.

Cataract surgery was the best surgery I've ever had and I've had several different kinds of surgeries.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've wondered if anyone has had difficulties with depth perception and/or eye-hand coordination after going with the mono vision option. Possibly not a real concern for most people but it might be important to some. (I'm not quite at the point of needing surgery yet but have been advised it's coming in the near future.)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've wondered if anyone has had difficulties with depth perception and/or eye-hand coordination after going with the mono vision option.
No problems with either after surgery or when I was wearing contacts for mono vision.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I've wondered if anyone has had difficulties with depth perception and/or eye-hand coordination after going with the mono vision option. Possibly not a real concern for most people but it might be important to some. (I'm not quite at the point of needing surgery yet but have been advised it's coming in the near future.)

No problems for me.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had eye exam and was told I need cataract surgery. in both eyes. Doctor said I need to tell them I want the basic standard procedure as that is all my Medicare Advantage Insurance Plan covers. He also said that a lot his patients who got talked into the new types of lenses were very unhappy with the results afterward.

I would start off by looking for a new optometrist or even better yet, an ophthalmologist. Your optometrist sounds very negatively biased against the newer intraocular lens choices out there for which in all honesty he probably knows very little about since he doesn't actually do cataract surgery.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
my husband was born with monovison, just had the surgery two weeks ago, one near one far, loves it.
I got multifocal technis lenses, cost me about $5000 out of pocket. I do like it, have adjusted to the halos I see, never wear glasses, only downside is the airport tries to charge me $30 for each bag under my eye.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I am doing more research on the different types of lenses. Also will see what the surgeon says when I get in to see him. He is supposed to be very good and has a brand new facility with all of the state of the art bells and whistles where the surgery is done. He specializes in cataract surgery but handles all types of eye problems.

I will keep you all updated on how it goes.

Suzanne

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My surgery was a little over a year ago. I had it done before I really needed it, and I regret that. I also regret having listened to my friends who were so pleased they didn't need to wear glasses any more and were happy to just use reading glasses.

I've always been happily near-sighted; I like to read in bed--without glasses--and be able to remove a splinter--without glasses--and read small print by just moving the print closer to my face. And most important of all, I don't mind wearing glasses, and never have minded. I initially chose to be near-sighted, and then decided my friends must know more than I did, and I'm sure they did, for them, but not for me. I now wear bifocals, just as I did before. The "upper" part has virtually no correction because I was able to pass my drivers' test with no glasses, and I now have bifocals for reading. No longer can I remove a splinter easily; if the print is very small, I now pass the object to my near-sighted husband who takes off his glasses and reads the print.

(My doctor wouldn't consider mono-vision for me because I'd never worn contacts that achieved that, so I didn't have that option.)

At any rate, despite all our opinions, think about what matters to you and choose accordingly.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My surgery was a little over a year ago. I had it done before I really needed it, and I regret that. I also regret having listened to my friends who were so pleased they didn't need to wear glasses any more and were happy to just use reading glasses.

I've always been happily near-sighted; I like to read in bed--without glasses--and be able to remove a splinter--without glasses--and read small print by just moving the print closer to my face. And most important of all, I don't mind wearing glasses, and never have minded. I initially chose to be near-sighted, and then decided my friends must know more than I did, and I'm sure they did, for them, but not for me. I now wear bifocals, just as I did before. The "upper" part has virtually no correction because I was able to pass my drivers' test with no glasses, and I now have bifocals for reading. No longer can I remove a splinter easily; if the print is very small, I now pass the object to my near-sighted husband who takes off his glasses and reads the print.

(My doctor wouldn't consider mono-vision for me because I'd never worn contacts that achieved that, so I didn't have that option.)

At any rate, despite all our opinions, think about what matters to you and choose accordingly.

You still have options. You can try mono vision by having a contact lens fit to one eye to make that eye nearsighted. If you like that you can then have a refractive surgery (LASIK or PRK) on that eye to make it a permanent change. That's all possible and not a problem in eyes that have had cataract surgery.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I had cataract surgery in 2011 in my right eye. I was concerned because I previously had a detached retina in that eye twice. My Dr wanted to remove cataract from my left eye also. I refused to do that and after much debate with him, I still have not had the left eye surgery. I can see without my glasses most of the time, primarily use them for driving. If and when I have cataract surgery on my left eye, I will try to find another doctor. I was told I would still need glasses after the left eye surgery, so that is why I have put off doing it.
TerryC

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Followup on Cataract Surgery

Had the surgery yesterday morning in right eye. Things are still pretty blurry but Surgeon at post op this morning said everything looks great and surgery went very well. I have another follow up appointment next Thursday, they will then decide on which if any of the eye drops I will need to continue using and for how long. That for me so far has been the worst part of this procedure.

I go back on July 2nd to have my left eye done. YUCK!!! MORE DROPS! :ignore:

My surgeon is excellent and highly regarded in his field so I trusted his advice on which lens implant to use. Based on my vision, eyes, age and past history with trying to use various types of contacts without success he felt I should go with the distance lens for both eyes and use reading glasses for reading and computer work. After we discussed all the lenses and how each worked, I felt he was the expert and followed his advice. I have worn glasses for so many years that just needing them for close up or the computer is something that I can happily live with.

Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Having had several eye surgeries, though not lens replacement yet, I have been told repeatedly that the long term satisfaction with the outcome is directly related to the use of the eye drops. So get comfortable with putting them in. I can schlep those suckers in, one handed, while driving at highway speed. Practice with something cheap, like saline drops and keep Kleenex handy. It'll come.

Jim

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. Fortunately my DH is putting the drops in for me. He is very good about the timing. Even using the stove timer to be sure they exactly 5 minutes apart. Its just a hassle more than anything. There is no stinging or burning thank goodness. Things are a bit less blurry today. Hopefully another couple of days and all the blurryness will be gone.

Suzanne

Having had several eye surgeries, though not lens replacement yet, I have been told repeatedly that the long term satisfaction with the outcome is directly related to the use of the eye drops. So get comfortable with putting them in. I can schlep those suckers in, one handed, while driving at highway speed. Practice with something cheap, like saline drops and keep Kleenex handy. It'll come.

Jim

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Then eye doctor said due to my stigmatism I would never be able to wear contacts with any success. That was first time I knew I had a stigmatism. I just want Superman's eyes without any of the hassle of getting them! sigh....:bawl:

Suzanne

I had very severe astigmatism and was able to wear contacts with no problem for several years. I had monovision contacts. Then I had Lasik on both eyes, also monovision and that worked great for 9 years until I got cataracts in both eyes. On my doctors advice, I got the enhanced "Restor" lens and I couldn't be happier with them. I do not need to wear glasses at all and have very good vision in each eye at all distances. I have had them for 5 years now. My wife had exactly the same 3 years ago with the same result.

As Jim suggested, there is another thread on this subject that you should look at.