• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVN - Trading In Network

BarryTX

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a little better understanding of how easy (or not) it is to trade within the SVN network itself (not with II). My questions:

1) If I buy at WKOVR on Maui, for example, and want to trade to go to St. John's one year, what is the likelihood that I can make this happen?

2) Do I understand correctly that I would have to do the exchange between 10 and 8 months out so that the home network advantage at St. John's is past but not yet open to II?

3) Any other 'secrets' to making it work?

4) Lastly, if doing a trade in the SVN network, are you likely to get the same view as what you own (i.e., Ocean View at WKOVR trading for Ocean View at St. John's in the previous example)?

Many thanks in advance for TUG assistance!

Barry

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score
let's see-

1. It depends alot on when you travel. If you can travel at off peak times than you have a decent shot. Right now WSJ, Harborside and Maui are the hardest trades during peak season. WPORV will probably be added to that once they are sold out. I think Maui might get a little easier simply because of the number of units now.

2. Owners can reserve at their HOME resort between 12 and 8 months out. Certain resorts have some 12-10 months out reservations but that is still strictly for owners where that is their home resort. At the 8 month mark you then use staroptions to trade into another resort. ( I believe this is also true for your home resort-maybe someone else can confirm this). All staroptions are the same so you are competeing with others owners within SVN not II.

3. Be able to travel at off peak times for the big three resorts. Call first thing 8am cst at the 8 month period.

4. You are not guaranteed a certain view when using staroptions. You may request a view and they will accommodate if available.

Hope this helps.

Jonelle

BarryTX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jonelle,

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I have been / am confused about how the SVN trading goes. At 8 months out and sooner, isn't the slot now available for trading in II? Maybe my confusion is that it requires the owner to tell Starwood to deposit into II for a trade? I guess I figured that with some owners weeks deposited into II, at that point you are competing with both internal and external bookings.

I guess a key point I have learned is the home resort owners booking advantage is longer than I thought, for some reason. I really appreciate the help.

Barry

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Jonelle,

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I have been / am confused about how the SVN trading goes. At 8 months out and sooner, isn't the slot now available for trading in II? Maybe my confusion is that it requires the owner to tell Starwood to deposit into II for a trade? I guess I figured that with some owners weeks deposited into II, at that point you are competing with both internal and external bookings.

I guess a key point I have learned is the home resort owners booking advantage is longer than I thought, for some reason. I really appreciate the help.

Barry

Just to clarify... if you are doing an internal trade through SVN then, you do not need to deposit in II. You just call up and ask for availability starting at the 8 month window.

If you want to trade through II which I think decreases your chances of getting St. John, then, you can deposit your week (which I believe Starwood picks your week for you) anytime 12 months before check-in. But I also believe Starwood picks the check-in date too.

P.S. I'm sure some of my info is wrong in regards to how to trade through II. I've used II a lot but for my Marriott resort I own. I've never deposited my Starwood into II and probably never will unless I'm desperate.

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, (by the way my husband's name is Barry too)

I see from a previous post you are looking at a Maui resale. Since it is a mandatory resort your options would be:

1. booking with owner preference at your home resort in the 12-8 month window.

2. Waiting until after the 8 month window (for your home resort) and competing with all SVN members.

3. After the 8 month window, booking an internal exchange with SVN and competing will all SVN members.

4. Depositing with II and competing with SVN members and all II members. SVN members with II do have a 3(?) day preference for SVN with II.

5. Deposit your week with an independent exchange co. (SFX, DAE, etc)

6. Rent your week out and rent where you want to go from someone else.

7. Direct exchange

Jonelle

Last edited:

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score
[/PHP][/PHP]
Just to clarify... if you are doing an internal trade through SVN then, you do not need to deposit in II. You just call up and ask for availability starting at the 8 month window.

If you want to trade through II which I think decreases your chances of getting St. John, then, you can deposit your week (which I believe Starwood picks your week for you) anytime 12 months before check-in. But I also believe Starwood picks the check-in date too.

P.S. I'm sure some of my info is wrong in regards to how to trade through II. I've used II a lot but for my Marriott resort I own. I've never deposited my Starwood into II and probably never will unless I'm desperate.

You're right about Starwood being able to pick the actual week and resort you deposit with II. Some have been able to have them deposit a good week but not always. That is why a lot of people with the higher resorts don't deposit with II, but choose to deposit with an independent or rent their unit. Your changes of an exchange are better through SVN than II.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVN and II are two separate entities.

At your home resort you can make reservations between 12 and 8 months out from your arrival date. If you want to use another SVN resort (assuming you are part of SVN), you make your exchange between 8 and 0 months out. All this is independent of II. SVN membership is mandatory for some resorts and voluntary for others. SVN membership does not transfer with a resale purchase at a voluntary resort.

If you decide you want to get an II resort, you can start trying 12 as long as you have a week to deposit. This is independent of SVN. You can do a "request first" where a match has to be found before your week is deposited, or you can just deposit a week and you have up to 2 years from the date of the week that is deposited to find a new place to go through II. You do the former if you know what you want, the latter if you are running out of time and have to deposit a week without plans on where you want to go. In any case, Starwood gets to choose what week they'll deposit. If you wait until the end of the year they might only have say an April week to give you (that they previously deposited) so you don't quite get 24 months to decide where to go. This happened to me.

II has nothing to do with whether you'll get to go to St. John through an SVN exchange. As a matter of fact, I doubt II will ever see a Maui or St. John week deposited since Starwood would likely put in a week at a different resort.

As to your questions:

1.) I've tried to exchange WKOR to St. John in the summer months and have not been successful. I hear if you wait long enough you might luck out, but I ended up using my weeks in Maui rather than risk not getting something in St. John. My issue was more with getting decent airline connections than with just being impatient. Perhaps other seasons are easier to get.

2.) You can attempt to exchange as soon as your arrival date at the other resort is less than 8 months out.

3.) Mainly flexibility and patience. If you have many different weeks you can go, there's more likelihood you'll find something. If you are 4 or 5 star elite, then you can always reserve at your home resort and be placed on a waiting list at St. John. That way, if it doesn't come through, you still have a desirable Maui week to use.

4.) I am not sure about the view question. Do be aware that your priority for a unit is below that of home resort owners, Elite owners and maybe even paying guests. I've heard quite a few exchangers into Maui complain about getting poor views. If the resort is full you will likely not get a good view. I have no idea what the view situation is in St./ John. Maybe it doesn't matter there.

For St. John it might be best to find someone to exchange with directly. This is also hard to do but if you can even the playing field a little, say by offering a 2 BR Maui for 2 BR St. John (St. John is worth fewer StarOptions), you might get more interest. I'm still looking for that elusive exchange myself, though.

Henry

BarryTX

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, this helps a bunch. I have learned a lot from the TUG experienced users, and I know that when we buy we will have saved a bunch of $$ plus be going in to it with our eyes wide open. Great information!

Barry

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure if this was answered - if you try to SVN exchange into WSJ you will likely need to be wait-listed - and have to give up your reservation at WKORV (unless you are 4*Elite or greater). Not a wise move if you cannot change plans quickly.

With the eventual opening of WSJ-BV - exchanging into WSJ may get easier (slightly) after a few years (maybe...perhaps...)