• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Our stay at Elara

hutch5779

Reaction score
We stayed at the Hilton Elara this last weekend. Our first impression of the location is, we loved it. We stayed on the 36th floor in the 1 bedroom grand room, which is the unit with the projector TV.

Here is a PRO/CON list
PRO
The location is great, it is connected to the Miracle Mile so tons of shopping and food right out the door.

No smoking inside hotel.

Room was the remodeled room and was nice.

Pool area is nice with a bar, cabanas and is large enough to lap swim. The entire time we were at the location I only saw 20 – 30 people at the pool.

Staff was nice, friendly and helpful.

CON
The projector TV audio comes from the flat panel TV that is mounted on the wall close to the screen. The light from the TV is very distracting and I am surprised that no one saw this as a problem during the remodel.

The jets in the tub would work only one time then a plumber would have to be called. He would open the panel, disconnect and reconnect some wires and the tub would work for one more bath.

Purchased an in room movie, which is an on demand streaming type movie system. In theory it would be nice, you can pause the movie, rewind, fast forward, but the movie was choppy and would stop and try to buffer. It made it to two minutes and then just went black screen. I rewind the movie and started it again, but only made it about 5 more seconds further.

New Owner Orientation/Sales Pitch
I am a new owner and this was our first reservation into HGVC. Prior to arrival I was called and invited to what was told to me as a new customer orientation, but turned out to be a sales pitch. They offer you three options for attending this meeting, 20,000 HHonors points, $100.00 gift card to 25 restaurants in Vegas or 3 VIP tickets to a show. During the presentation we were told that HGVC is taking over the Cosmopolitan in about two more years. When they found out we bought resale the meeting pretty much ended and was told, “You’ll never buy from us, so there is no need to continue.” The sales person wanted to know why we wasted our time with the meeting, which we explained they sold it as a new owner orientation. The sales person also explained that we were missing out from not purchasing directly from Hilton and we can never become Elite, which I already knew from this message board. She also tried to scare us by saying, "And you own an affiliate location so if Hilton wants to dump you they can and your out of luck." The manager did offer us 7,000 points single use that can only be used at 8 select locations for $1,695.00.

So overall we had a great time and would go back, just skip the sales meeting next time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am a new owner and this was our first reservation into HGVC. Prior to arrival I was called and invited to what was told to me as a new customer orientation, but turned out to be a sales pitch.

FYI: ALL owner updates, orientations, etc., are sales pitches - all of them. If you ask upfront, they are required to disclose this info.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The manager did offer us 7,000 points single use that can only be used at 8 select locations for $1,695.00.

So overall we had a great time and would go back, just skip the sales meeting next time.

We bought the 7000 points package and booked a 14k point 2Bdrm week at Kingsland. Since we only have 5250 points in NYC with maint fees approx $1500/year, it would take 3 years to build up $14k points. By paying $1600 vs. $4500 ($1500 maint x 3 years for 14k points), this allows us the use of our club points in expensive NYC or DC and we don't need to commit ourselves yet to ongoing maintenance fees in a Vegas resale.

If you can tolerate the pitch (without buying) the perks can add up. For the 7K we have a mandatory sales meeting but will print out a few resale listings in advance and say if they can match or better these prices, then we have something to talk about...otherwise, let's not waste each others' time.

Eventually we plan to buy an inexpensive Vegas resale for points but no reason to commit to long term maintenance fees yet. If Vegas Blvd maintenance is about $800/year for 7k points then it would take $1600 in maintenance fees (2x $800/year) to pay for a 14k unit in Kingsland.

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We stayed at the Hilton Elara this last weekend.

New Owner Orientation/Sales Pitch
I am a new owner and this was our first reservation into HGVC. Prior to arrival I was called and invited to what was told to me as a new customer orientation, but turned out to be a sales pitch. They offer you three options for attending this meeting, 20,000 HHonors points, $100.00 gift card to 25 restaurants in Vegas or 3 VIP tickets to a show. During the presentation we were told that HGVC is taking over the Cosmopolitan in about two more years.
The Cosmo is only a hotel, not a TS. Hilton will manage the Cosmo.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/11/hilton-hotels-launches-new-brand/

Which Affiliate do you own :shrug:

Last edited:

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
This article was written in 2009. 7 years later still no takeover so I doubt it will happen

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We bought the 7000 points package and booked a 14k point 2Bdrm week at Kingsland. Since we only have 5250 points in NYC with maint fees approx $1500/year, it would take 3 years to build up $14k points. By paying $1600 vs. $4500 ($1500 maint x 3 years for 14k points), this allows us the use of our club points in expensive NYC or DC and we don't need to commit ourselves yet to ongoing maintenance fees in a Vegas resale.

If you can tolerate the pitch (without buying) the perks can add up. For the 7K we have a mandatory sales meeting but will print out a few resale listings in advance and say if they can match or better these prices, then we have something to talk about...otherwise, let's not waste each others' time.

Eventually we plan to buy an inexpensive Vegas resale for points but no reason to commit to long term maintenance fees yet. If Vegas Blvd maintenance is about $800/year for 7k points then it would take $1600 in maintenance fees (2x $800/year) to pay for a 14k unit in Kingsland.
That's a good trick if you get a phase 1 premium 2 bedroom for 7K points, are you sure it's not a phase 2 unit worth 7K?

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
FWIW, don't believe them when they tell you they'll NEVER invite you back for another presentation. We very rarely go but, we get that line every stinking time and, every time we stat at a HGVC property, there they are with another offer to attend a presentation.

As mentioned above there is no such thing as an owners update or new owner orientation. They're all sales presentations. While they might be "required" to tell you it's a sales presentation, they really gloss it over saying they'll offer you the opportunity to buy something more but that's not the objective of the "update". Every timeshare company pulls the same trick in one way or another.

As to the Cosmo, maybe......maybe not. I'm still waiting on the Disney theme park in Branson the timeshare salesmen talked about for years. I think it got so bad the state of Missouri finally made them stop telling that lie.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
Last year, when we went to our presentation in Vegas, we said no for two hours, but then eventually agreed to buy the same $1695 package. We weren't owners at that time, and since have purchased 9600 points resale. But before buying in, we agreed to purchase the "Vacation Introductory Program" (VIP--get it? Har har.) and we're going to spend a week at Kings Land in a 2 BR, with my brother- and sister-in-law and our niece and nephew, and, really, for that kind of vacation for all of us, it's a decent value.

They'll credit that $1695 against any future developer purchase if you're inclined to buy-in to the "elite status is worth spending tens of thousands of unnecessary dollars" b.s. But just buy resale, tell them that you've got all the points you want, and they'll end the presentation pretty quickly.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That's a good trick if you get a phase 1 premium 2 bedroom for 7K points, are you sure it's not a phase 2 unit worth 7K?

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY using Tapatalk

Time will tell. I learned about this opportunity on TUG because someone else had gotten a 14k unit. The reservation rep said they honor this because the offer is for a week in Hawaii and we are booking Platinum season. He told us the points for the unit he is placing us in are are worth much more than 7K for the 2 bdrm unit. For example with this program you can book a week in a 2Bdrm at Grand Waikikian Platinum season which is worth 10,500 pts - 14,400 pts depending on availability.

We have attended previous presentation visits and every time they upgraded the unit to a much nicer unit than we would book on our own. (i.e. Why would anyone consider buying if they are housed in a crappy unit?)

Even if we are put in a 7K 2 Bdrm unit I cannot imagine anything at HGVC is horrible so we have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Time will tell. I learned about this opportunity on TUG because someone else had gotten a 14k unit. The reservation rep said they honor this because the offer is for a week in Hawaii and we are booking Platinum season. He told us the points for the unit he is placing us in are are worth much more than 7K for the 2 bdrm unit. For example with this program you can book a week in a 2Bdrm at Grand Waikikian Platinum season which is worth 10,500 pts - 14,400 pts depending on availability.

We have attended previous presentation visits and every time they upgraded the unit to a much nicer unit than we would book on our own. (i.e. Why would anyone consider buying if they are housed in a crappy unit?)

Even if we are put in a 7K 2 Bdrm unit I cannot imagine anything at HGVC is horrible so we have nothing to lose.

I think your odds are good based on availability, there are a lot more of the phase 1 units at Kingsland, only 2 buildings in phase 2. Way to maximize value on the VIP package!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think your odds are good based on availability, there are a lot more of the phase 1 units at Kingsland, only 2 buildings in phase 2. Way to maximize value on the VIP package!

That is good to know. Thanks!

BTW...We would not have purchased this package if we hadn't already been planning a Hawaii trip. The values for the other properties for a week at $1600 (e.g. Vegas) are not good vs. other channels.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Cosmo is only a hotel, not a TS. Hilton will manage the Cosmo.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/11/hilton-hotels-launches-new-brand/

Here's a more recent article about the sale of the Cosmopolitan to the Blackstone group. I believe Blackstone may own Hilton.

Looks like The Cosmo is affiliated with Marriott Hotels now, not Hilton:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lasco-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas-autograph-collection/

Last edited:

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like The Cosmo is affiliated with Marriott Hotels now, not Hilton:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lasco-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas-autograph-collection/

Not true. Nothing new, Blackstone (AKA Hilton) still owns the Cosmo, and has since 2014. Marriott has been managing the property and apparently still is. Interesting partnership, for now.

How is this not true??? I said Cosmo is "affiliated" with Marriott "now", and "not Hilton". I can book the Cosmo on marriott.com with $$ or Marriott points "now". I can "not" even find the Cosmo on hilton.com, much-less book it thru open dates into 2017. I'm not saying it will be like that forever, however, that is how it is affiliated today...

Last edited: