• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

BBQ and Grocery Options in Hawaii

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I've got hungry teens. Are there bbqs we can use at Lagoon Tower? (We are in a 2 BDRM oceanfront.)

Also what are the best options for buying groceries in HHV if we don't have a car?

How about Kingsland? (we are scheduled for a 2BDRM Premier Unit which I believe is on an upper floor). We will have a car on the Big Island.

Thanks

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've got hungry teens. Are there bbqs we can use at Lagoon Tower? (We are in a 2 BDRM oceanfront.)

Also what are the best options for buying groceries in HHV if we don't have a car?

How about Kingsland? (we are scheduled for a 2BDRM Premier Unit which I believe is on an upper floor). We will have a car on the Big Island.

Thanks

Kingsland has BBQs. Closest place for groceries is the market in the Queen's Shops, the Island Gourmet. We ended up going there quite a bit when we were staying at Kohala Suites. They have wonderful meats in their meat department that are ready for the grill. I fell in love with their Poke and would get some as a before dinner treat.

The next closest grocery is the Waikoloa Market up in Waikoloa Village. Their prices may be a little lower than the Island Gourmet. That is the first place we shopped to get kind of stocked up on what we needed, then we'd usually go to the Island Gourmet.

There is also a Costco a little south of the airport where you can really stock up if you think you'll use all of the stuff you buy there.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
No BBQ's at HHV. Take Uber to Foodland at the Ala Moana Shopping Center or to Don Quijote (quite an experience). There is also a Wal-Mart in the same area.

leedaorg

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's public park next to HHV, has BBQ grill and picnic table. Get some charcoal and brush at Don Quijote (1mile away from HHV) and have BBQ and enjoy sunset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Luanne. I'll just add my two cents. We try to hit Costco and Safeway (located about 4 miles from Costco). We buy our meats at Costco and the rest of the items we need at Safeway. The seasoned tri-tip at Costco is great. If you want the prepackaged salads, definitely get it Costco. At Waikoloa Market is was $6 to $7 for a bag!

There's also a Foodland Farms at Mauna Lani that has a great selection and the prices are about the same as Waikoloa Market.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree with Luanne. I'll just add my two cents. We try to hit Costco and Safeway (located about 4 miles from Costco). We buy our meats at Costco and the rest of the items we need at Safeway. The seasoned tri-tip at Costco is great. If you want the prepackaged salads, definitely get it Costco. At Waikoloa Market is was $6 to $7 for a bag!

There's also a Foodland Farms at Mauna Lani that has a great selection and the prices are about the same as Waikoloa Market.

I second the suggestion for Safeway in Kona, and the Foodland Farms at Mauna Lani. We usually hit Safeway right away after we pickup the rental car. Then most just refill or grab anything we forgot at Foodland or Island Gourmet.. Beleive the island Gourmet caters mostly to the timeshare / Condo people.. so not many bargains to be found there...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I second the suggestion for Safeway in Kona, and the Foodland Farms at Mauna Lani. We usually hit Safeway right away after we pickup the rental car. Then most just refill or grab anything we forgot at Foodland or Island Gourmet.. Beleive the island Gourmet caters mostly to the timeshare / Condo people.. so not many bargains to be found there...

The reason I don't recommend, or suggest, Safeway is that it's not really all that close to the airport, and definitely not close to Kingsland.

We usually like to check into the unit before we do grocery shopping. That way we can take inventory, see what we need, and make a shopping list. Since we fly from the west coast we're usually arriving late morning.

Another reason we don't shop right after we arrive is that the car is full of people and luggage, no room for groceries. :D

And although Island Gourmet may cater to timeshare and condo people, as I said before they have some great prepared meats in the meat section that are all ready to go on the grill. And try their poke. Delicious!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason I don't recommend, or suggest, Safeway is that it's not really all that close to the airport, and definitely not close to Kingsland.

We usually like to check into the unit before we do grocery shopping. That way we can take inventory, see what we need, and make a shopping list. Since we fly from the west coast we're usually arriving late morning.

Another reason we don't shop right after we arrive is that the car is full of people and luggage, no room for groceries. :D

And although Island Gourmet may cater to timeshare and condo people, as I said before they have some great prepared meats in the meat section that are all ready to go on the grill. And try their poke. Delicious!

Those are all valid points. It can be tight getting everything in the car, but it works for us.

Believe both Costco and Safeway are in the opposite direction of Kings Land when leaving the airport...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Those are all valid points. It can be tight getting everything in the car, but it works for us.

Believe both Costco and Safeway are in the opposite direction of Kings Land when leaving the airport...

Yes, but Costco isn't as far. :D

We found that even with a family of four the quantities at Costco were just too much. We ended up throwing out much of what we'd bought.

Airport to Costco - 4.4 miles
Airport to Safeway - 8 miles, which doesn't sound like much, but depending on the traffic it can seem like it takes forever

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a great place to feed the kids and it has very reasonable prices. Next door to HHV is the Hale Koa hotel. Right across from the Luau Garden is a fast food restaurant that has burgers, chicken, etc... That is a military hotel, but that dining area is open to the public and you do not need a military ID. That would be a good place to eat the first day before going to Costco. After that, take Uber to Walmart or Sam's Club that is upstairs. Either way, that will be faster than going to Costco.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
No BBQ's at HHV. Take Uber to Foodland at the Ala Moana Shopping Center or to Don Quijote (quite an experience). There is also a Wal-Mart in the same area.

They closed the Foodland at the mall, but opening a new one in a few months. Walmart has better prices or Sam's Club is even better.

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 2BR Penthouse Mountain View
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
I think we went to Target to get our supplies.

Kevin

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Closest target in honolulu is by radford high school. Exact opposite direction of hhv. I say stop by costco on your way from the airport to hhv. It is right off of nimitz and right on your way to hhv.

llandaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
For groceries without a car while staying in HHV we walk to Don Quixote in about 15 minutes. We also usually do a weekly trip to Costco by bus which is easy and takes about 30-40 minutes. At least twice per week (again by bus) we go to Chinatown to pick up steam buns and poke!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y
We found that even with a family of four the quantities at Costco were just too much. We ended up throwing out much of what we'd bought.

We're just two, and our Waikoloa stays are typically 3 nights, so we just do Island Gourmet for stables like eggs, bacon, milk and a few other things. The prices are reasonable, it is really is convenient.

Cheers.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
When we arrive at HHV we walk out the front of the resort and have a meal at Wailana Coffee House. Then one block down Ena to Hobron and there is a Food Pantry on the right, we get groceries and walk back. Take your own bags.

They filmed a scene for H-5-0 at Wailana, McGarrett having the all you can eat pancakes.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We're just two, and our Waikoloa stays are typically 3 nights, so we just do Island Gourmet for stables like eggs, bacon, milk and a few other things. The prices are reasonable, it is really is convenient.

Cheers.

Totally agree. On our last trip it was just dh and I. We did do our first shopping trip to the Waikoloa Market and bought a lot of stuff there. But we'd go to Island Gourmet for yogurt, fruit, and of course meat for the bar-be-que and my beloved poke. :D

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thank you all for your wonderful recommendations. I will be referring to this thread often during our trip!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your wonderful recommendations. I will be referring to this thread often during our trip!

Glad we could all answer your questions. Lots of different food options!

And yes the premier units should be on the top floor. Should have some nice golf course views!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Glad we could all answer your questions. Lots of different food options!

I am here at Lagoon Tower in a 2 BDRM Premier Ocean Front unit...fabulous view, spacious rooms, fabulous amenities. I am happy to report that the unit has been refurbished. Although an occasional curious bird wanders in off our balcony, there are no termites in sight.

As suggested we had lunch at the military snack bar next door (not the best burgers but the $9 poke bowl was good and full of ahi). Prices were good.

Also ventured to Don Quijote market last night to buy groceries...kind of like a Hawaiian Walmart. Loved it as it had a lot of local Asian Hawaiian flavor and a great poke and sushi selection. We also brought dinner back to the room from the Asian food court out front. I love the fact that our unit has a kitchen so we are not forced to eat out all of the time.

The Uber driver suggested a poke place at King and University where they make it fresh that we will try next. Also Nico's on Pier 39.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nico's is a must do if you like fish.

Tomorrow on Saturday, Japan Village opens at the mall with about 30 places to eat. The prices are a little high, but you should check it out after the weekend. It will be very crowded during the grand opening this weekend. Food court at the mall has lots of places to eat and will be cheaper with the kids.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks all for the recommendations. BBQs at Kingsland, even on the 4th of July, were available and easy to access.

Just a few quick recommendations if you like local flavor (and are a bit adventurous):

Honolulu by the University (need to drive):

Ahi Assassin for Lunch. For $7.95, a bowl brimming with the freshest Ahi Poke I've ever tasted. Smoked Marlin dip great too.

The owners are very friendly and if the line is not too long, they will let you sample the different types of poke. Kind of like wine tasting but for poke.

Not the greatest environment, no restaurant to sit, upstairs in a tired strip mall, with poor parking options but always a line because the locals love it and the food is worth the trip. We took our food and ate it at a park at the University. I am still craving the poke, and will return next time.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ahi-assassins-fish-honolulu

In the same strip mall downstairs is an excellent shaved ice place with unique flavors too.

Did not get a chance to try the new Japan Village at the Mall as you recommended but will try next time.

Last edited: