• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sales begins at The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations Club

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to a presentation yesterday for information about the Grand Islander. There is a model of the building in the Lagoon Tower lobby just outside the new preview center.

All units are 15% off until the end of the year for HGVC owners and the sales rep did not know if the discount would continue into next year. A two bedroom plus list price was $75,400 for platinum season, 12,600 points with an mf of $1,762. He repeated much of the information in GregT’s posts above including the Friday check-in and the 6 month club season booking. We didn’t get into what the HH incentive points were.

The sales rep offered us a platinum 4 night partial week 2br plus for $35,249 (5,040 points, mf $1,123). When we told him we were staying in a LT penthouse unit for three nights and that we have booked 3-4 nights in club season at LT or GW during Christmas time for the last 5 years, he stopped the presentation and took us to the front desk. Overall, the presentation was low pressure and short for us.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I did a walk through Monday in the model, and the unit is very nice, similar to Grand Waikikian. I think it is going to be a terrific property, even though the points chart is very high for someone trading in.

Interestingly, the brochure indicates that the developer is Blackstone Real Estate Partners VI LLC. This would suggest that this is another Asset Light property for HGVC -- I had thought that this was something that HGVC was directly developing somehow, but they have found another way to develop properties without using their own dollars.

I continue to be impressed with HGVC's creativity in expanding its timeshare portfolio.

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I did a walk through Monday in the model, and the unit is very nice, similar to Grand Waikikian. I think it is going to be a terrific property, even though the points chart is very high for someone trading in.

Best,

Greg

I assume you had to attend an update to tour the model?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I assume you had to attend an update to tour the model?

No, I have been in contact with one of the reps and told him I wanted to see the model, so no real update.

I keep hoping they will develop something in the Caribbean...

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
No, I have been in contact with one of the reps and told him I wanted to see the model, so no real update.

I keep hoping they will develop something in the Caribbean...

Best,

Greg

Greg, we like to tour a model without the presentation sometimes as well. Nice to see what they look like.

HGVC has very nice properties, but like you and others, I am disappointed they don't have more locations. That is a limiting factor when compared to Marriott or Starwood. I wonder what their strategy is by continuing to expand in current locations rather than new locations. One can assume it is less expensive and more profitable. I expect that is the driving force. They seem to follow the theory of "if it works, let's keep doing it."

Mike

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Greg, we like to tour a model without the presentation sometimes as well. Nice to see what they look like.

HGVC has very nice properties, but like you and others, I am disappointed they don't have more locations. That is a limiting factor when compared to Marriott or Starwood. I wonder what their strategy is by continuing to expand in current locations rather than new locations. One can assume it is less expensive and more profitable. I expect that is the driving force. They seem to follow the theory of "if it works, let's keep doing it."

Mike

Starwood vacation collection lists 19 resorts.

HGVC lists 63 resorts. With 4 new resorts and 2 new destinations already announced. Total resorts by 2017 will be 67.

I may be in the minority but I'm VERY pleased with the number of locations and destinations. Could other destinations be added, yes. But in my humble opinion, HGVC locations are not a disappointment.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for sharing pictures and information.

TheWizz

TUG Member
Reaction score
When compared to the "relaxed" way of life on the other islands, I prefer to not visit Oahu and HHV. We had to stay on Oahu last year for one night (early AM flight) after staying on Maui for 8 nights and it is quite a difference. We stayed at HHV for that one night. If I have to stay on Oahu, prefer to stay out at Ko Olina. Agree with Greg - wish they would build/buy somewhere in the Caribbean.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
They're adding a Pool Deck to the Grand Islander as well :clap:

HI-GI-RNDR-PL-001.jpg

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 2BR Penthouse Mountain View
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
So did you make the upgrade? If so, You might be the first here on TUG to own Grand Islander...

Definitely two schools of thought her on TUG, some people only buy resales and other like doing upgrades to get the bonus points..

We bought GI in 8/15/15 2 BR PH mountain view room week 45 room 3510. $109k 21k pt. And then we traded our 14k pt Parc Soleil almost even up for a 14.4k pt Kings land in the deal. That gave us permanent Diamond status for Hilton Honors, and all penthouse options in the HGVC brand anywhere. Plus Elite Premier in HGVC. I was happy with the transaction. Plus they gave us $300 voucher toward Benni Hannas and enough HH points to book a week in Bora Bora in a hut over the water!

Kevin

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We bought GI in 8/15/15 2 BR PH mountain view room week 45 room 3510. $109k 21k pt. And then we traded our 14k pt Parc Soleil almost even up for a 14.4k pt Kings land in the deal. That gave us permanent Diamond status for Hilton Honors, and all penthouse options in the HGVC brand anywhere. Plus Elite Premier in HGVC. I was happy with the transaction. Plus they gave us $300 voucher toward Benni Hannas and enough HH points to book a week in Bora Bora in a hut over the water!

Kevin

That's a lot of points! But you have some first class resorts in your portfolio to go with those. Glad you happy withe the deal.

With a fixed summer week in a Penthouse unit, i am guessing your planning to mostly visit Hawaii rather than trade around the system.

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
That's a lot of points! But you have some first class resorts in your portfolio to go with those. Glad you happy withe the deal.

With a fixed summer week in a Penthouse unit, i am guessing your planning to mostly visit Hawaii rather than trade around the system.

Thats just the week listed on the deed that we own. We are still planning on using those points to visit the world. We are 46 and 40 with kids 14 and 12 so we all will enjoy it for a good long time. It is nice having some home resorts in Hawaii so we can reserve earlier than most.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Islander Progress as of 06/23/16

Enjoying a stay at HHV Lagoon Tower and thought I'd snap a few photos.

Following up on vacationbear's post and SmithOp's post, I took this shot of the Grand Islander's progress after pancakes at Wailana Coffee House. :)

GI062316.jpg

They're making good progress.

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture!
We will be there soon.. :cheer:

How is the pancake house? Saw it on Hawaii 5-O and want to try it out as well.
All the can eat or is it quality over quantity?

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture!
We will be there soon.. :cheer:

How is the pancake house? Saw it on Hawaii 5-O and want to try it out as well.
All the can eat or is it quality over quantity?

Had a couple of their pancakes and thought they were good. Prefer mine lighter, fluffier, almost Swedish-like. :) Saw the "All you can eat pancakes" on their menu. It's a great deal for someone who was really hungry or who really liked pancakes. :D

Hope you enjoy your upcoming stay at HHV.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
interesting that the two newest Oahu properties, GI and Hokulani. It this the new trend that club season is now at 6 months for any new property.

I am not liking this trend.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
interesting that the two newest Oahu properties, GI and Hokulani. It this the new trend that club season is now at 6 months for any new property.

Did I hear that the Wash DC property only 6 weeks for club? If so that makes it tough for non-locals to buy economical airfare.

This is most likey a way to incent home resort retail sales vs resale trade ins.

BTW..they are working today, Saturday, on the GI to push to complete. We sat at the pool and watched them haul air conditioning units and plywood up to the roof with two cranes. Quite fascinating to watch!

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had a couple of their pancakes and thought they were good. Prefer mine lighter, fluffier, almost Swedish-like. :) Saw the "All you can eat pancakes" on their menu. It's a great deal for someone who was really hungry or who really liked pancakes. :D

Hope you enjoy your upcoming stay at HHV.

I'm with you!
Light, fluffy! Yum!

Thanks for your feedback!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kevin

Out of curiosity, how much was the OV penthouse unit?

knagel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 2BR Platinum
I can't remember how much the OV units were. For some reason I want to say you had a partial OV from the Mountain view Penthouse anyhow, but can't remember right now for sure. What we spent was a lot, but we are done buying now, we are in our mid 40's and plan on vacationing every year with kids and when they have families we will be taking them to different places and then deeding the program to them when we are gone if they want it. We have weighed out the pros and cons of owning that many points and still feel that for what we want to do it is a good value to us even buying direct. FWIW GI would not be available resale for quite some time I would be guessing. We only went penthouse for the points and MF value. Not that we are going to ever stay in the PH but it gives us the option to along with 12 month window.

so to answer your question LOL, no i do not remember how much OV was :wave:

Kevin

jestme

Reaction score

I'm with you. I'm also not liking the uneven and varying point structures for new buildings so that a 1BR+ in one building can get you nearly three weeks in a different building. It started with Kingsland, and GW, now it's also everything new.

marietazsf69

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club West 57th Street, NY, Worldmark the Club, Club Wyndham Star Island
All,

I've looked a little more at the Grand Islander point requirements, and it's really not that different from Grand Waikikian. The points required for 1BR/2BR are the same for Partial Ocean View (9,300/12,600) and for Ocean View (12,600/14,400) between the two buildings.

For Resort View (Grand Islander) and Garden View (GW), the 1BR points of 7,200 are the same, but 2BRs are lower priced for Grand Islander (8,400 versus 10,500).

The new view categories in Grand Islander are Mountain (7,000 for a 1BR) and the Ocean Luxury View (16,800/19,200).

I've always thought that the Partial Ocean View at Grand Waikikian was a bad deal because those units are right on Ala Moana Blvd (noise), and the view is heavily impacted by adjacent buildings like the Ilikai. As contrast, the Partial Ocean View at Grand Islander will be the East, looking out to Diamond Head, and should be very nice. I don't think the Hale Koa is a huge building, and I think that will actually be a good room category, if someone wants to pay the points. I think the Ocean View (floors 19-29) should be spectacular for those busting out 14,400 points.

Final comment is that I think the Resort View at Grand Islander, at 8,400 points, is an attractive alternative to the higher priced GW. Granted, you're overlooking the rooftop of a conference center, but we already do that at Kalia. And a high floor is possible, since virtually all of the Ala Moana side is Resort View.

Best,

Greg
Do you have any pics that shows the resort view room at the Grand Islander?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! This thread was started December 28, 2014 so much have changed in the passes 7 1/2 years.