• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using referrals to offset/pay maintenance fees

frankadams

Reaction score
Newbie here.

I have attended a couple timeshare presentation in the last month, decided to do more research before I purchased. TUG to the rescue!

In both presentations, the salesperson suggested that I could pay for my maintenance fees by sending them referrals. At Westgate, they said that I could earn about $200-$300 per referral to pay for the $950/yr MF. In fact, that I could even use referral fees to pay off part/all of the deed itself. At BlueGreen they said something similar (3-5 referrals a year would pay MF).

Is this legitimate? Is this a common strategy to pay for MF? MF seem like the biggest challenge for TS, and this seems like a straight-forward solution. Am I missing something?

I searched the forums but could not find this answer. Please link to a thread if this is already answered.

Thank you!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Newbie here.

I have attended a couple timeshare presentation in the last month, decided to do more research before I purchased. TUG to the rescue!

In both presentations, the salesperson suggested that I could pay for my maintenance fees by sending them referrals. At Westgate, they said that I could earn about $200-$300 per referral to pay for the $950/yr MF. In fact, that I could even use referral fees to pay off part/all of the deed itself. At BlueGreen they said something similar (3-5 referrals a year would pay MF).

Is this legitimate? Is this a common strategy to pay for MF? MF seem like the biggest challenge for TS, and this seems like a straight-forward solution. Am I missing something?

I searched the forums but could not find this answer. Please link to a thread if this is already answered.

Thank you!

Were their (the salemans') lips moving?

Why would you doom friends/family/foes to buy an almost worthless product for thousands and thousands of dollars?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Usually the $300 referral bonuses are when your friends buy. Getting them to tour and say no usually gets you $50 or less.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I DISCOURAGE friends and family from going to sales presentations….

Can't imagine sending someone to Westgate, which is one of the worst.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont know the two systems you mention, but I do know Wyndham, and Wundham does the same thing. Get paid for referrals. Its a legitimate offer but Linda has hit on the problem.. How can you maintain your friendship with the folks you refer, once they figure out that there is a secondary market where they can buy for pennies what the developer is selling for dollars

You would do better offering a buying service to your friends and family> You buy on ebay for them and charge them a fee.

glmyers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I DISCOURAGE friends and family from going to sales presentations….

Can't imagine sending someone to Westgate, which is one of the worst.

I agree. How could one sleep at night after referring a person to Westgate?

visor

Reaction score
If you're on this forum and are aware of the secondary market, you would not refer a friend or relative... an enemy perhaps...

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're on this forum and are aware of the secondary market, you would not refer a friend or relative... an enemy perhaps...

I usually submit names and addresses of people who owe me MONEY.

The weasels and the deadbeats deserve each other.... IMHO.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone I dislike enough to send them to a Wastegate presentation/torture session for any paltry credit they'd give me.

Jim

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never give them any names...even those of people we don't like. You can check, but I'll bet you'll only get paid if they both attend and buy something.

What do you find laudable about attending a timeshare presentation that you would recommend to your friends? Maybe, if you see it as to be recommended, you need to attend a few more yourself. Get the facts here and compare with what the sales team tells you.

Last edited: