• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVN - new arbitration provision

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, but the language ("Owner's name and agreement number") suggests that you have to reject arbitration for every one of your contracts separately.

I guess this will be a big effort for me. How about the clock start?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this will be a big effort for me. How about the clock start?

How about multiple notices in one envelope? Do you think that is acceptable? Perhaps adding a cover letter that mentions all the notices that are enclosed.:ponder:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Has anyone made any money on a class action lawsuit other than the attorneys? A couple of times a year I get a settlement of between $3 - $6 for some lawsuit I knew nothing about. However I did have a lawyer friend years ago that became a multi-millionaire when he won one.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone made any money on a class action lawsuit other than the attorneys? A couple of times a year I get a settlement of between $3 - $6 for some lawsuit I knew nothing about. However I did have a lawyer friend years ago that became a multi-millionaire when he won one.

The only people getting real money (besides the attorney) would be the named plaintiffs in the caption, like "Alexa De Paris v. Vistana" , the rest of the class gets the piddling settlement.

I sent in the rejection letter, and just put both my contract numbers on the same subject line.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I was wondering the same thing, but the language ("Owner's name and agreement number") suggests that you have to reject arbitration for every one of your contracts separately.

Just write a letter specifying everything you own and that you are rejecting the arbitration provision. I would think it's making your intent obvious that matters.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
The only people getting real money (besides the attorney) would be the named plaintiffs in the caption, like "Alexa De Paris v. Vistana" , the rest of the class gets the piddling settlement.

I sent in the rejection letter, and just put both my contract numbers on the same subject line.

I would like to think SVO is looking after owners but they are looking after shareholders. With the total lack of availability in Hawaii and Harborside, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some shady stuff is happening with the SVN inventory. Do you think corporate behavior would be affected is there was a possibility of a class action at all?

If everyone was required to arbitrate, then they know most people wouldn't bother suing because the effort involved is too much (and the possibility of class action is zero). When there is the possibility of a class action, there are always law firms that will make the effort if there is a valid reason to do so.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't think there is anything shady going on at Harborside. The maintenance fees are so high, the owners have to rent them if they aren't using them. Check them out on Redweek . It doesn't take long to figure out that exchanging your $3000+ maintenance fee for a $1500 unit is a losing proposition.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I don't think there is anything shady going on at Harborside. The maintenance fees are so high, the owners have to rent them if they aren't using them. Check them out on Redweek . It doesn't take long to figure out that exchanging your $3000+ maintenance fee for a $1500 unit is a losing proposition.

But this is not new. It has been the case for years.

However, availability is MUCH different from past years. Last year for example, with online reservations, you could see availability starting at 8 months + 1 day. That doesn't mean you can successfully book it at 8 months out but there was stuff available. Now, there is not even a single night in any unit type till late August. In my opinion, that's not really possible. Most owners are not that sophisticated about renting out their weeks (at least from my conversations at the pools) - and if they can't use their weeks some will exchange to a different resort (or bank their points). Also in prior years, before online reservations, you could also book something at 8 months out - it may not have been a 2BR and it may not have been the week you wanted, but stuff was there.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tried to reserve July 4 week for next year at midnight July 4 this year. My daughter was trying to do it at the same time. I fumbled on the website since I had only done it once before. She got hers, but I didn't get mine. By 12:01 a.m., all the 3 bedrooms were gone. However, the next day I logged on and tried to book it and it was there.

Wasn't there a change in what could be reserved with Star Options last year giving non-owners in a resort more options? I can't remember since I've never used Optionsl.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I tried to reserve July 4 week for next year at midnight July 4 this year. My daughter was trying to do it at the same time. I fumbled on the website since I had only done it once before. She got hers, but I didn't get mine. By 12:01 a.m., all the 3 bedrooms were gone. However, the next day I logged on and tried to book it and it was there.

Wasn't there a change in what could be reserved with Star Options last year giving non-owners in a resort more options? I can't remember since I've never used Optionsl.

I was referring to Staroptions reservations at 8 months out, not home resort reservations (although the fact that you can't book something at 360 days out is also somewhat of a concern, but understandable for a 4th of July week). Giving Orlando owners more options would make it more competitive to book at 8 months out. It doesn't explain why there isn't a single night in any room type at Harborside till late August though.

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
Opt Out Class action

Hello

We have yet to receive our MF invoice
Question: How does one opt out of automatic Class Action suit waiver?
It is a tool if needed and one which the rights should be retained to.

I personally a separate email notifying association members of this change rather than slipping in maintenance fees renewal ( as I understand happened) should have been performed. in the contract.

Scott

I assume all new property sales would include this

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hello

We have yet to receive our MF invoice
Question: How does one opt out of automatic Class Action suit waiver?
It is a tool if needed and one which the rights should be retained to.

I personally a separate email notifying association members of this change rather than slipping in maintenance fees renewal ( as I understand happened) should have been performed. in the contract.

Scott

I assume all new property sales would include this

I merged your post into the ongoing thread; see Post #1 for the quoted instructions.

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU this is exactly what I needed.

30 days from receiving Notice to ACT

This opt applies only to access of SVN network and not our owned property which is governed by our elected board members.

I noticed that Sheraton Flex and the New 3 phase of Maui 3 appear not to be deeded property but are selling access to property by a points system---Please correct if I err. They would seemingly fall under SVN as governing body of their property access

Scott