• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone talk me off the ledge!

SantaClaraCyms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi TUG braintrust -

First off, I want to thank everyone for all that you post on here. I'm a long-time reader, seldom poster. On the great advice of this forum, I bought a very cheap Platinum 2BR EY at SDO a few years ago and have successfully traded into WPORV for the last two years. I'm on Kauai again this year (staying in building 5, facing out over the golf course, 3rd floor, which has one of the best views I've had at this property) and just went in for my owner update. Unsurprisingly, they want to sell me something!

Here's the question that I have: They are suggesting retro'ing the unit with a Kauai or Maui/Nanea purchase (what I understand is all that they can sell). Now, I know that neither of these would be mandatory, but am curious if pulling the trigger on an EOY 2BD at WPORV for around 28k is worth it to retro in my SDO purchase. This would only get me to 3 star, which doesn't really seem to allow for much other than banking of options.

Alternatively, they're suggesting that they will give me the actual retail price (~8x I paid) for SDO if I want to wholly convert it into a purchase of Nanea or WPORV. Also, they're pushing the flexibility of the Maui options program (allowing you, at 12 mo, to use options to get shorter time frames or different sized units aligned with certain option values). That said, the big mantra seems to be buying where you want to stay if you're not getting a pure trader, and Princeville has always been that for me.

My gf and I went into the presentation thinking that we would just laugh off the whole thing, but were a bit sold by the song and dance.

So - a few questions:
1) Would it be crazy to retro with a EOY WPORV purchase from the developer?
2) Would it be smarter to retro with a WKV purchase?
3) Is retro'ing really worth it if you aren't on the march to 5*?
4) Should I just be happy with what I have and wait for the whole ILG/Vistana madness to sort itself out?

PS: I'm supposed to call these guys back in the next 3 hours with a go/no-go, so would appreciate anyone's thoughts before then!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
slow down... do not make any purchase with that type of pressure (incl buying ExpPkg - which is next level of sale)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I'd say number 4 since you arent interested in getting to 5* and WPORV is an easy trade as you indicate, and you have a good trader already. Think about what your annual fees are going to be if you add a Hawaii property, its not just the up front buy in cost.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi TUG braintrust -

First off, I want to thank everyone for all that you post on here. I'm a long-time reader, seldom poster. On the great advice of this forum, I bought a very cheap Platinum 2BR EY at SDO a few years ago and have successfully traded into WPORV for the last two years. I'm on Kauai again this year (staying in building 5, facing out over the golf course, 3rd floor, which has one of the best views I've had at this property) and just went in for my owner update. Unsurprisingly, they want to sell me something!

Here's the question that I have: They are suggesting retro'ing the unit with a Kauai or Maui/Nanea purchase (what I understand is all that they can sell). Now, I know that neither of these would be mandatory, but am curious if pulling the trigger on an EOY 2BD at WPORV for around 28k is worth it to retro in my SDO purchase. This would only get me to 3 star, which doesn't really seem to allow for much other than banking of options.

Alternatively, they're suggesting that they will give me the actual retail price (~8x I paid) for SDO if I want to wholly convert it into a purchase of Nanea or WPORV. Also, they're pushing the flexibility of the Maui options program (allowing you, at 12 mo, to use options to get shorter time frames or different sized units aligned with certain option values). That said, the big mantra seems to be buying where you want to stay if you're not getting a pure trader, and Princeville has always been that for me.

My gf and I went into the presentation thinking that we would just laugh off the whole thing, but were a bit sold by the song and dance.

So - a few questions:
1) Would it be crazy to retro with a EOY WPORV purchase from the developer?
2) Would it be smarter to retro with a WKV purchase?
3) Is retro'ing really worth it if you aren't on the march to 5*?
4) Should I just be happy with what I have and wait for the whole ILG/Vistana madness to sort itself out?

PS: I'm supposed to call these guys back in the next 3 hours with a go/no-go, so would appreciate anyone's thoughts before then!

If it's good 3 hours from now, it.s good tomorrow or next week or next month.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
1) You want to spend 28K to get an EOY WPORV (effectively $56K for EY), and take on the high MFs? repeat that to yourself...
1st - you can buy this for $3-4K on resale market if you really want WPORV. (I own WPORV, and love the resort/villa when reserving 12 months ahead)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The game with any timeshare sales person is:

"Decide NOW! Never have I seen such a GREAT deal!"

"one time .. today ONLY...manager is CRAZY to offer this deal...end of month special!"

And why is THAT? Your commissioned real estate salesperson WANTS a sale from you .. his "mark" for the morning session .. his HOPE to pay his bar tab, his bookie, get his reposed car back, pay his child support and my personal favorite ... pay for his weekend/holiday party supplies.

No SALE ... NO COMMISSION CHECK ... and in 5 days, you will be home and gone.

RUN ... and don't answer the unit's phone and screen your cell phone calls.

And keep reading TUG ... get educated and then, your guessing WHICH way to go ... is really an educated opinion ... spending a BIG CHUNK of money to get what you need & want (or keeping the money for more important things in life than a timeshare).

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you get with a developer purchase at WPORV is a better villa location if you reserve at the 12-month mark. This may or may not have value for you.

The downside is that Hawaii properties have rather high annual fees, as you probably already know. I'm in the group that advocates the "buy where you want to go" philosophy.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2) they are not selling WKV are they? anyway - you can buy WKV on resale market. So... no

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
3) No, it is not worth retro if 5* is not desired. And with the unknown with VSE-ILG and SW-MI moving forward, I would not get any skin in the game

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
4) yes.

PS - if WPORV location is important to you and a fix/fix villa (+20% premium) villa work for you - it could be worth to retro the SDO if they give you 8X. I am likely the lone opinion here that owning a fix/fix in the WPORV HH sections of B3, B6, B7 (B7 being best IMO) can be worth buying from SVO. I tried to do this - take back my EOY, retro one on my resales, and get a specific fix/fix WPORV B7 HH. They did not have the villa/week-range I wanted. Plus, they just want a bit too much...
YMMV and likely does.

also - IMO - do not buy anything with your girlfriend... sorry - this should be said... get married first. only because of the link to a financial asset and issues of not being married (in CA)... again - IMO - I actually did this with Robin, but luckily we ended up happily married ;)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
5) do not buy ExpPkg... unless you are 100% certain that you will be doing this in future - and that is in most cases unwise. IMO

btw - WPORV Sales reads TUG...

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do not buy.

Do not buy.

If I wasn't clear before, do not buy.

Again, in case of any confusion...do not buy.

Sent from my iPad

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
To buy or not to buy...

If you want more timeshare weeks, then I think buying resale for a fraction of the developer cost at WPORV makes a lot of sense, given your travel preference to that location and the opportunity to book at the 12 month window.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Do not buy.

Do not buy.

Sent from my iPad

This deal will be available AFTER you get home, and it won't change, but they won't tell you that. To put it another way, if you call them up stating you want to do it, they'll arrange to get the docs to you to make the sale. On that note, I was told by a sales rep that if you do it by mail, they have the ability to negotiate in some more SPG points. If it were me, I am was going to retro, I'd do that.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Do not buy.

Do not buy.

Sent from my iPad

If you pay $28K + $1400/yr of MF's for an eoy WPORV week, each visit there will cost you about $8,400 (two years of MF's + two years of imputed interest on your $28K "investment", assuming 10% ROI).

Plus, your $28K "investment" will immediately lose 80% of its value.

Do not buy.

(do I hear an echo?)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you pay $28K + $1400/yr of MF's for an eoy WPORV week, each visit there will cost you about $8,400 (two years of MF's + two years of imputed interest on your $28K "investment", assuming 10% ROI).

Plus, your $28K "investment" will immediately lose 80% of its value.

Do not buy.

(do I hear an echo?)

I'll second this.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Well WPORV is voluntary, little resale unless traded for another dev sale. However I would say amortize over 10 visits/ e
20 yrs so 1400 plus 2800 per visit which is 4200 Pvt. I gnome the ROI because inflation raises the alt cost of renting over the next 20 yrs. however the cost of getting to Kauai makes this a very expensive choice. Do you really want to commit to an EOY to Kauai.
I would buy resale if you just have to have it, however as you will read here on TUG, you could by Kierland resale plus lower Mx cost per year and trade in easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I won't even comment. It's been said.

By now, you should be:

1. off the ledge
  2. have your phone unplugged
  3. drinking a cool beverage on the deck/patio/beach with GF
Wise choice to call a friend (TUG) when you were tempted.

:rolleyes:

SantaClaraCyms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, folks. As suggested, we quickly backed away from the sale and sat by the pool (even though it was raining) and had some tasty beverages.

I'm curious to see what the ILG purchase will mean for SVN as well as that Marriott acquisition means for Starwood as a whole. Hopefully either II trading continues to work or mandatory resorts will retain their point power.

Again, thank you for all of your quick insight, it saved me a bucket of money!