• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Marriott to acquire Starwood hotels

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I only read the first two stanzas before I gave up. I guess I should have held out til the 4th.

Oops sorry, I thought the first 2 lines would help kick it in. I guess not many remember Weird Al Yankovic's version for Star Wars Phantom Menace :shrug: ???

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
First line did it for me ...

pharmgirl

Reaction score
We own both Marriott (KoOlina) and Starwood (Maui) and use Marriott cc for Marriott maintenance and SPG AmEx to pay Starwood maintain fees

Any suggestions about changing? Using Marriott CC for both maintainance fees?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We own both Marriott (KoOlina) and Starwood (Maui) and use Marriott cc for Marriott maintenance and SPG AmEx to pay Starwood maintain fees

Any suggestions about changing? Using Marriott CC for both maintainance fees?

SPG points are by far the most valuable currency out there. SPG changes won't happen soon, probably not until 2017. Get & use SPG points as long as you can until changes and deadlines are announced. I'd stick with separate cards for now.

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
What do you all think about the value of Starpoints versus Hyatt points? After some brief research, it seems a lot of their hotel categories are similar. They are also currently offering status match to their diamond level if you are SPG Plat!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
What do you all think about the value of Starpoints versus Hyatt points? After some brief research, it seems a lot of their hotel categories are similar. They are also currently offering status match to their diamond level if you are SPG Plat!

Acc to FlyerTalkers, it's not unusual for hotels and airlines to offer one-time status matches, often just for the asking. If you are a frequent traveler, they want your business.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

Flyer Talk or TUG travel info is probably a better place for this but I'll go ahead and answer it. SPG points are still much more valuable than Hyatt IMHO because of what you can do with them outside of award nights. I agree though, some of Hyatt's categories are similar. One of the biggest benefits are the 1:1 transfers to airlines, Nights & Flights and the 5k bonus points for transferring 20k to an airline. i.e.: 20k SPG points = 25k AA miles.

Back on topic, and as discussed previously if these benefits go away with the merger, that would be a HUGE consumer loss.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
. ... One of the biggest benefits are the 1:1 transfers to airlines, Nights & Flights and the 5k bonus points for transferring 20k to an airline. i.e.: 20k SPG points = 25k AA miles.

Back on topic, and as discussed previously if these benefits go away with the merger, that would be a HUGE consumer loss.

I think some others have said that the points to American airlines transfer is no more.
I sure hope they keep the transfer option to Alaska for awhile :)

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think some others have said that the points to American airlines transfer is no more.
I sure hope they keep the transfer option to Alaska for awhile :)

There was a bonus on top of the 5K that is no more. You can still transfer to AA.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
My concern is what will happen if Marriott decides to phase out the Starwood brands (eg Westin, Sheraton, W, etc) all together. The brand name of the current Starwood timeshares will be significantly diminished. The reason I bought into Starwood timeshares was due to my loyalty to Starwood hotels which I associate with high quality. If that goes away, then the current SVN becomes the way of lesser quality timeshare companies that do not command a premium (eg Westgate, Welk, Bluegreen , etc). I would much rather pay a premium and be an owner of a timeshare associated with a reputable hotel brand (Starwood, Marriott or lastly Hilton).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why would they eliminate Westin, Sheraton, etc as a brand name? Too much brand recognition. There is no upside for them to do this. Probably just keep all their brands under one corporate umbrella - lots of Corps do this.
IMO

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
I liked the American Pie response.

Marriott I do not believe would ever phase out Starwood names. First off those brands provide a large revenue stream.

Secondly Starwood has a great reputation overseas and particularily in China were Marriott has a miniscule presence. The industry growth potential in China and India is huge. It would be bad business to change familiar brand names and rebrand Starwood when the name recognition has a couple of million loyal customers.

The SPG point sytem generates a lot of cash for the STarwood hotel chain. Why would they want to anger customers by getting rid of a revenue stream. Their shareholders would be angered if they did.

Scott

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My concern is what will happen if Marriott decides to phase out the Starwood brands (eg Westin, Sheraton, W, etc) all together. The brand name of the current Starwood timeshares will be significantly diminished. The reason I bought into Starwood timeshares was due to my loyalty to Starwood hotels which I associate with high quality. If that goes away, then the current SVN becomes the way of lesser quality timeshare companies that do not command a premium (eg Westgate, Welk, Bluegreen , etc). I would much rather pay a premium and be an owner of a timeshare associated with a reputable hotel brand (Starwood, Marriott or lastly Hilton).

I think it would be hard for them to do this. There may often be a Marriott and a Westin or Sheraton right across the street from each other in some major cities. It would be odd to have two Marriott's, wouldn't it? There may even be exclusivity agreements with some of the property owners that there can't be another hotel of the same brand within x number of miles.

I see no reason that Marriott will phase out the Westin and Starwood brands. Perhaps some of the other smaller brands could be incorporated some day, but doubtful also because of the reasons mentioned above.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
In you opinion, any chance the ILG deal would fall through and MVC would buy SVN?

Responding on this again. If for some reason the ILG deal falls through, are the chances good that Marriott Vacations Worldwide would swoop in to buy VSE in order to save the MAR/HOT deal?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Responding on this again. If for some reason the ILG deal falls through, are the chances good that Marriott Vacations Worldwide would swoop in to buy VSE in order to save the MAR/HOT deal?

Why do you think that the MAR/HOT deal needs to be saved? Marriott bought HOT after the divestiture of VSE.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Why do you think that the MAR/HOT deal needs to be saved? Marriott bought HOT after the divestiture of VSE.

But none of the transactions are completed yet, not even the renaming/spinoff of VSE and that needs to happen before the MAR/HOT deal. There are still a lot of moving parts that have to fall into place ...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

HOT was obviously shopping VSE. So if for some reason the ILG/VSE deal doesn't happen, do they still just spin it off outright, or do they go after another buyer for it?

As Sue said, none of these deals are done. I was just theorizing possible scenarios.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they would look for another buyer and hopefully DRI doesn't end up making a play for it.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Truly, that and the customers loyal to those brands is what they are paying for.
Marriott already has a portfolio of brands e.g. Ritz. This adds to them.

Hotels have switched brands through their lives and will continue to do so. Some within the same umbrella.
Why would they eliminate Westin, Sheraton, etc as a brand name? Too much brand recognition. There is no upside for them to do this. Probably just keep all their brands under one corporate umbrella - lots of Corps do this.
IMO
Exactly.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the ILG deal falls through then there is a listed VVE from a share split. No need to cancel the hotel merger.

Too much conflation on this thread.

Scott & Laura

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the point on conflation is right on the mark.

Marriot is a Hotel management company and they brand their Hotels Marriot---they manage and do not want to own real estate. There is a distinct disadvantage to ownership, as it ties up working capital and shareholders do not want top see 20-30% of every dollar they invested idly tiued up in a fixed asset.

Starwood is a Hotel management company woith different Brand name recognition. Starwood manages their Hotels under the Westin, Sheraton, W, etc name brands. Each brand represents different imagery to guests. If you walk into a W you can immediately recognize its not a Westin or St.Regis

To rebrand all as Marriot would require all the Hotel owners who signed for a brand name recognition to waive those agreements and sign off on the name Marriot---which means less expensive less frills Hotel than Westin or St.Regis etc.

I would think dumping the brand name of Starwood they just paid a Billion + for and change them all to Marriot would be akin to the Titanic Captain putting a hole on the opposite side of the Titanic to let the water out that was coming in from hole caused by Iceberg

Marriot and Starwood provide management--they make their money from management and if they buy assets they would see their stop drop. Also if they dump Starwood brand recognition they would anger real estate owners who hired them for their name recognition

Marriot would face a HUGE rebranding and advertising camapign to convince guests that Marriots fewer frills Hotels are equivalent for guests who stay at ST.Regis that is now branded as a Marriot---I see no way that is possible.

WHy pay billion+ to just anger and confuse your customer base? They are generating billions in revenue each year and they don't do that by making stupid decisions.

The Starwood Vacation Network was spun off specifically so they did not have Real Estate tied up in company---by selling off the real estate they bought back stock increasing stock prices and helped the company economic stability. A Management company weathers down turns in economic cycles much better than a company that has funds tied up in bricks and mortar

Scott

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I can't believe any of you seriously think Marriott would kill the Starwood brand names.

What could easily happen is the end of the StarPoints program, etc.

Sent from my iPad