• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coffee Mate-Need a Replacement

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that Coffee Mate changed their formula? I purchased some several weeks ago & it tasted sweet to me & hubby. I called in and they took my complaint. She advised me to stay away from early Nov expirations dates. Than I purchased one with Nov 29 expiration date & it still tasted different. I called back & the girl told me that they changed their formula. I don't want to go back to half & half, but my coffee is just not the same anymore. :bawl: What do you guys put in your coffee?

I like mine boston style!

Marsha

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's Boston style?

I wonder if Dunkin Donuts uses coffeemate? Recently, a few friends and I have noticed their coffee tasting kinda funny. I always order it light with one sugar.

If you use the flavored coffeemate, there's another brand called International Delight that I buy sometimes. It comes in hazelnut, french vanilla, etc. but I don't recall seeing a plain option.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Super Giant, Food Lion, Safeway, Super Fresh, Harris-Teeter, Etc.

We just get the generic store brand powdered coffee creamer.

We buy the smallest size they offer, so that we can use it all up before it goes rancid from hanging around too long.

Full Disclosure: I drink black coffee -- no cream, no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no nothing. The Chief Of Staff doesn't drink coffee at all. (Ditto tea. Go figure.) When we know we'll be entertaining coffee-drinking guests, we go out & spring for some half & half. When coffee-drinking guests catch us unprepared, we get out the generic store brand powdered coffee creamer. So it goes.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm use Coffee-Mate and will keep a watch for any change.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't drink coffee but DH drinks fat-free half and half and loves it. I think it's made by Land O Lakes. It's in the refrigerated section of your store where they sell milk and cream. Our local store has their own brand if they are out of Land O Lakes.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Pet, Carnation, Etc.

If you want a treat try using condensed milk.
Also regular evaporated milk -- known in some households as Canned Cream.

Condmilk.jpg

-- hotlinked --

PetMilkCan285.jpg

-- hotlinked --

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I like to take 2% milk, put it in a stainless steel milk frother and froth that puppy up. It takes on a creamy texture but still is only 2% bad for you. Actually I use quite a bit of milk (I like a little bit of coffee with my milk) so I get in about a serving of milk between my two cups of coffee.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Also regular evaporated milk -- known in some households as Canned Cream.
That's what I use in my hot tea every morning. But, I'd never heard it referred to as Canned Cream. That's a good name for it.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boston style is with alot of milk, cream or coffeemate. No, the stuff I use to use was the original liquid in the 64 oz carton. Not the flavored. Sorry I don't know what Dunkin Donuts uses.

Thanks for the idea of canned cream, I'll give it a try.

Marsha

What's Boston style?

I wonder if Dunkin Donuts uses coffeemate? Recently, a few friends and I have noticed their coffee tasting kinda funny. I always order it light with one sugar.

If you use the flavored coffeemate, there's another brand called International Delight that I buy sometimes. It comes in hazelnut, french vanilla, etc. but I don't recall seeing a plain option.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Marsha,

I can sympathize with you - I now realize why my coffee tastes like crud - I thought it was my taste buds going through menopause or something. I am used to the powdered coffee mate and it just isn't doing it for me any more. I have used the PET Milk in a pinch but it just does not compare. Does Cremora maybe make an alternative? Have you found any satisfaction?

I want something to replace that unhealthy palm oil - coconut oil - chemical powder I have known to love for so many years.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The things you learn here

I can't believe people prefer Chemical Cow to the real thing. A lot of one percent milk for me, or half and half for a real treat.

I'll skip my morning coffee rather than use the powdered ... stuff - I'm being polite today.

But like I said, the things you learn on TUG!!

Have a great day, all.

Bev

Last edited:

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since it is petroleum based, maybe the cost of oil prompted the change in formula.

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Since it is petroleum based, maybe the cost of oil prompted the change in formula.

That really is a scary thought! I know it sounds odd to prefer the fake over the real - but I also am the one who orders a diet coke over the sugary one even when ordered alongside a sweet dessert. I would forgoe a drink at all if the sugary soda was the only thing available.

It really is just what your used to...

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
For years now I use powdered fat free milk in my coffee. I just sprinkle the powder right in. It keeps the coffee from getting cold from pouring cold milk or coffee mate in it. It travels great. I buy the box with 10 packages in it. I just throw one in my suitcase when timesharing.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Babs - No replacement as yet - I'm drinking a lot less coffee! Which I suppose is good for me. Down to 2 cups, with half & half. I did not want to go back to half & half because that's not healthly for you either - years ago I use to drink close to a pint of it every day (in my coffee of course).

Marsha

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
Marsha - I will fill you in if (when?) I find something fabulous...

spinner44.com

Reaction score
Marsha,

Hi, I'm new here and only found this thread by Googling why my Coffee Mate tastes different. I noticed it too, so I wrote them and in fact they DID change the formula and others are noticing it. I received a reply from them today and thought I would share it with you, so you know that you're not alone:

"We recently made a change to our formula for Coffee-mate Liquid Original that was designed to balance out different ingredient levels. This change was not intended to result in any difference in the taste of the product. However, we do realize that some consumers are noticing a difference.

Your opinion is very important to us as a valued, loyal Coffee-mate consumer, and we are committed to providing you with the best tasting and highest quality products. We would like to assure you that we have reported your experience to the appropriate personnel, and we are currently putting all our resources behind resolving this issue as quickly as we can. However it may take a few weeks for these changes to make their way to your local grocery stores."

So there you have it. That thought on oil prices may have something to do with it. :eek:

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Westgate Park City, UT
What is so funny is that i swear the powdered version tastes differently as well.

Btw... I tried the cremora brand and it isn't fab either. Tastes like generic non-dairy whitener.

marsha77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spinner,

Thanks, I was beginning to think the world didn't notice!

They actually gave me free coupons the first time I called in, than they refunded my money when I called back the second time - without me asking. She also said she would note my complaint.

Today I had a cup of French Vanilla Cafe - instant coffee by General Foods International - not bad. :bawl:

Marsha

Marsha,

Hi, I'm new here and only found this thread by Googling why my Coffee Mate tastes different. I noticed it too, so I wrote them and in fact they DID change the formula and others are noticing it. I received a reply from them today and thought I would share it with you, so you know that you're not alone:

"We recently made a change to our formula for Coffee-mate Liquid Original that was designed to balance out different ingredient levels. This change was not intended to result in any difference in the taste of the product. However, we do realize that some consumers are noticing a difference.

Your opinion is very important to us as a valued, loyal Coffee-mate consumer, and we are committed to providing you with the best tasting and highest quality products. We would like to assure you that we have reported your experience to the appropriate personnel, and we are currently putting all our resources behind resolving this issue as quickly as we can. However it may take a few weeks for these changes to make their way to your local grocery stores."

So there you have it. That thought on oil prices may have something to do with it. :eek: