• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Extra Magic Hours - go or avoid those parks?

mrmarty91

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up for Tour Guide Mike one year and I believe his advice is to get there early for the extra hour but get out early. You should arrive even before the park opens. Otherwise, avoid. Those parks are the most crowded for the remainder of the day.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I prefer to get an Extra Magical Hour of Sleep.
Now that's a good idea! :hysterical:

But I agree with mrmarty91, but only if you have a park hopper ticket. Go early for the Magical Hour and stay until the park starts getting crowded. Then hop over to another park for the rest of the day. Or better yet, we often take a break in the afternoon so everyone isn't completely wiped out -- everyone seems to have a much better time that way.

If you don't have the hopper ticket, I personally would avoid avoid that park for the day.

Kurt

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We avoid the parks with early hours when possible as we don't get the early hour use ourselves and those parks do tend to be more crowded that day. You do get to ride more in the first few hours than the rest of the day when you get to a park right before opening time... so we do that.

We always talk about taking a mid-afternoon break but we never do. It seems, for us, that taking a slow lunch does the trick.. relax and get off the feet for an hour.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The last time we did extra magic hours, they were added on the end of the day, not before normal opening. It was crowded for a while, but once the people figured out they couldn't get on any rides without a room key, the crowd thinned out quickly. We actually enjoyed it because the place was so empty.

The thing that bothered me was that when we checked in, the hotel asked us if we wanted one or two room keys. I said give us two, just in case. Turns out if we didn't each have a room key, one of us would not have been allowed on the rides during extra magic hours. They check for room keys for each adult, and if you don't have one, they don't let you in line.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
All depends......

Are you staying on-site and are asking if you should take advantage. Or are you staying off site and want to know if they are worth it?

Staying Off Site - definately stay away.

Staying On-Site: Not worth the extra crowds for the AM hour. The PM hours can be nice if you are going off season.

Example: Magic Kingdom typically closes at 8pm off season. Having from 8-10 pm there can be great. If you are going during peak season - the park could close at 11pm. Staying until 1am just isn't my thing - too late - but could be yours.

If you have little ones with you....I would not bother. Most likely too late for them to stay out.

As another poster mentioned - it would depend a bit on what kind of tickets you have also.

jamstew

TUG Member
Reaction score
I avoid the evening EMH simply because that park will almost always be more crowded all day and unless you stay until the bitter end, the lines are still pretty long. Plus, I'm not a night owl. YMMV. I love the morning EMH if it's going to be hot; otherwise I avoid those, too. I'd never do either one without a park hopper or AP.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, im going to do some rearranging then. we are onsite, but have a little one so we wont be doing the night ones, just the morning.

Bajanswife

Reaction score
With little ones the morning EMH at Magic Kingdom may be worth it, as Fantasyland is open. But be aware that morning EMH at the other parks have limited open attractions, and many of them are the things that your little ones won't be riding. May not be worth it.

Also, consider if you're going back to a park after your break or not, and what your touring plan will be for the evening. If you aren't going back at all, then EMH at MK totally makes sense. If you are hopping to another park, realize that you won't have any Fastpasses for that evening session. So make sure the stuff you want to do is "filler" stuff i.e. not headliners, or maybe you just want to stroll around Epcot World Showcase? If you are going back to MK in the evening, gather as many Fastpasses as you can in the morning, and use them when you go back in the evening. This is the reasoning for not park hopping, by the way. Also, if you don't go to EMH at all, and you collect Fastpasses diligently, your experience after going back for the evening session can be greatly enhanced by not having the EMH crowds there, and by having a fist full of Fastpasses!

JamminJoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway, Week 52, RCI Points
Grandview at Las Vegas, Week 11
I downloaded an App on my Iphone which listed which park had the extra magic hours and if it was before the park opened or after closing. Out of the 7-days I took advantage of this a few times, balance of R&R and fun, :)

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I avoid the evening EMH simply because that park will almost always be more crowded all day and unless you stay until the bitter end, the lines are still pretty long. Plus, I'm not a night owl. YMMV. I love the morning EMH if it's going to be hot; otherwise I avoid those, too. I'd never do either one without a park hopper or AP.

We avoid the early EMH at any park. I kind of like going against the grain.

Late EMH, I will do if I have been at that park earlier in the day and have collected some FP's for later use. We did this at MK Sunday before T-giving(it's always late EMH that night). Gathered a bunch of FP's during the day at MK, went back to rest and swim. Went to dinner over at Narcoossee's, then back to MK.

It's also good to go to a park in the am, the day after it has late EMH.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
since you are there for 2 weeks--get the park hopper

get the park hopper--since you are going for 2 weeks, that $50 per ticket will be worth it. If you are early risers, go to EMH, leave for lunch--afternoon nap, then go to another park in the PM.
Your baby will be just under 1 year, I think?? Most still take an
AM and PM nap. The AM nap can easily be in the stroller with the PM in the room. If naps have merged to a longer one around noon, then definitely go to EMH and leave for the noon nap, lunch, swim, relax and go back to another park that PM for a few hours--strolling around Epcot and eating at one of the countries, or just having a drink or a fun counter service meal is a nice way to wind down--you could do this for quite a few evenings.
Also, I try to avoid the park with EMH in the PM when going back into the parks, b/c that one will start to fill up at about 5 with PH people who are going for EMH. have fun--and great trades into DVC! Elaine