• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trade for OKW or wait?- updated last post- now SSR-

goofygirl17

Reaction score
We are trying to trade our ts for DVC for next April. I have a trade on hold right now for a 1 br at OKW. It will be my husband, 2 DDs (10, 7) and me. We stayed in a studio at SSR this year but would like more space so I have an ongoing search for a 1br at any of the DVC.

My question is-

Should I take the 1br at OKW or wait to see if we get another offer. I've seen 1br at Wilderness Lodge and SSR and a studio at the Beach club before with my week. I can also see 1 and 2 br units at Bonnet Creek on a regular basis.

Thanks for any opinions or information!

PS- I wasn't sure if I should post this on the DVC board or Florida.

Update- The week on hold was for after the week we were searching. It took me a while to get through to RCI on the phone. The woman told me that I had entered those dates too- NOT- and that only that one week was deposited today so I probably didn't miss anything by having the wrong unit on hold. I tried to explain how DVC is banked but she just argued with me.

I called back several times and finally got a message to call back later- they were having difficulties.

I finally talked to someone who told me to put 0 as the number of weeks to search in order to only search one week :doh: I did put the same date as the earliest and latest check-in. Guess that wasn't enough.

Anyway, I am extremely frustrated and I'm afraid I missed a bulk banking of weeks for April and am out of luck.

Last edited:

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd hold out for Beach Club, but that's because I fell in love with the location and the pool area. Haven't stayed at OKW, but I'm always seeing Beach Club 1 bed units with my trader.

Though now that I reread your post - you are trying for next April. Easter time? Could be a tougher exchange for that time period.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
We're actually going the week that ends with Good Friday :eek: I know we're crazy but it's either that or Feb or summer and we just don't want to be there in the heat. Also, the kids love the water parks and that's not really an option in Feb.

I've only seen Beach club once and it was a studio. That was actually last week. This time last year I wasn't seeing any DVC! I booked HGVC international drive and then saw a studio at SSR so I cancelled the Hilton (lost some $ on that) and booked SSR. It was worth it though- we had a great time!

Thanks!!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I took OKW last Easter

I had the same issue last year. We could ONLY go the week prior to Easter and it was a Friday checkin. I decided to go with a sure bet and took OKW. We are DVC members and I have stayed at almost all DVCs--I really wanted AKV or BCV. I am SO glad I took it--why? The living area of the 1 BR is HUGE--plus they are getting renovated and there will be a sleeping chair, so your kids won't have to share the sofa. The patio is large with 4 persons table/chairs. We dined outside many nights, as April weather is divine. My kids loved riding the bike trails over to SSR and going to the kids club over there. We loved the BBQ right at the Tutle Pond pool, kids swam while Dad grilled. Also liked the snack bar/drink station at the Turtle pool. Kids always love the sandcastle slide--it's the faster of the DVCs. I liked the relaxed atmosphere of the main pool. We also had 2 studios on DCV points at AKV Jambo and Kidani for other family, so we were over there a lot. At the end, I asked DH and kids where to stay in 2 years for next Easter--the vote was OKW. During Easter, pool chairs were VERY scarce at AKV, esp. at Kidani. Good luck--I second guessed myself until our trip--which was great. Elaine

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1BR at OKW is very large and you get a separate laundry area with a full size w/d. I know the theming isn't quite the same as the others, but I'd take it. You have a decent chance of not getting anything that week if you pass on this. BTW, the sleep sofa at OKW is very comfortable.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen 1br at Wilderness Lodge and SSR and a studio at the Beach club before with my week.
It sounds like you don't often see many DVC deposits. I can tell you that there are rarely fewer than 20 there at any one time. Another person (on another board) also reported that they were able to get an ongoing search fulfilled to a unit that doesn't ordinarily see most DVC weeks posted.

If I had to bet, I'd say that the deposit that went in today went in with lower-than-usual trade power required. In other words, I think you may have gotten lucky. I'd keep the unit you have unless we learn that the trade power requirements have been lowered going forward.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
IT sounds like a good place to be!

Before RCI's big "upgrade" last spring I couldn't pull DVC at all so I booked HGVC on Intl drive for this spring's vacation. After the upgrade I was getting studios and 1 brs at OKW and SSR but only a studio for the week we were going so I booked it.

Since then I've been seeing SSR, OKW, and WL 1 brs daily. I also saw a studio at BC the other day. I also see a lot of 1 and 2 br at Bonnet Creek (which I know isn't Disney but I think it takes trading power to get those). I will be very happy to take the OKW 1 br I was just wondering if anyone had insight into my possible trade power based on what I can see and if anyone thought I might get a different offer to consider.

Thanks!!

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Aaaarrgh! I just realized that the week RCI has on hold is the week after our April vacation!! I only put in one check-in week so why do they do that!? I'm on hold with RCI right now to try to fix the problem!

goofygirl17

Reaction score
How infuriating! I just got off the phone with an RCI rep and she "changed" my search to only include the one week we can actually go in April. I KNOW that I only put in those specific check-in dates!!

She went on to tell me that they only received that one week as a deposit from their member today- not a block of weeks from DVC. I tried to explain/argue but she just didn't get it. I bet I missed a week that was available the week I need!!!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also see a lot of 1 and 2 br at Bonnet Creek (which I know isn't Disney but I think it takes trading power to get those).
Trade power needed to exchange into Bonnet Creek is a notch below the Disneys, for the most part.

Last edited:

Merilyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at OKW and love it there. It is a more relaxed location but with just as much to do as the other places. The rooms are by far the largest of all the DVC resorts. I know you are looking for a very busy week so I hope you get what you want. Spring break is always busy and hard to get even for those of us who own. We always book as soon as we can when we are traveling during busy times. GOOD LUCK!

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Animal Kingdom Kidani has 1 bedrooms that have 2 bathrooms. If you see one of those I'd take that over OKW. They also sleep 5.

JamminJoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village at Parkway, Week 52, RCI Points
Grandview at Las Vegas, Week 11
I stayed at OKW last Fall, great location and unit size, I say grab it.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Okay, another update-

RCI modified my search last night to reflect only the 1 week I wanted to search for - I learned the trick of searching 0 weeks instead of 1 which doesn't make sense- but whatever.

Now I have a 1 br SSR unit on hold. We stayed in a studio there this spring and really liked the resort. The girls were very excited about OKW though so I don't know if I should let it go to see what else comes up or take it because I might not get anything else.

This reservation is for next April- the week that includes Good Friday so I know that will be a harder trade.

Decisions, decisions!!

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at OKW in Dec and I was very disappointed in the unit we had. It was huge but very run down and the toilet was full of mold/mildew. We will not stay there again. On the other hand, we have been very happy with the Beach Club and Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had a unit at OKW that was a little worn around the edges---a few stains in the carpet that had been freshly cleaned, but didn't come up, some rust on the fridge, a cranky dishwasher, that sort of thing. Happily, the entire resort is undergoing a fairly thorough refurbishment, and it should be back up to snuff by next spring or so.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Only take Saratoga Springs if you like the location better. The units are smaller, and you have to walk through the bathroom to get to the master bedroom walkin closet (very strange). Also, the w/d is smaller and stacked. Kitchen is tiny and has almost no storage. I do love the location and being able to walk/boat to Downtown Disney

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I would take SSR

you have 2 younger kids, for 4 persons, the space is fine, furniture nice and you know the layout of the resort. Great community hall, fun pool, great bike trails, boat to DTD---just take SSR and be happy you got a premier week at DVC---it's almost double points for DVC to stay this week vs. other weeks. In fact, we can't "afford" to stay at DVC Easter week on our points--thus, I was thrilled to get an RCI trade last year. Don't 2nd guess, you might see something better---or maybe not and you lost out. have fun. Elaine

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I have the unit on hold until Monday (according to my email from RCI) so I have some time to think about it.

goofygirl17

Reaction score
Thanks. I called to check on the hold and was allowed to extend the hold. I thought it was only good until end of business yesterday but I got an email from RCI (which I will print and save :rolleyes: ) which says it's on hold until Monday the 14th.