• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unsecured WiFi at Hotel

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course searching aol for password might have also brought a treasure trove of information. Thanks for the alert. Funtime

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have regained control of my TripAdvisor account thanks to their tech folks . . . and I believe everything has been restored back to pre-hack status.

That's great! I don't suppose that the cops back in EastPhart Montana have any care to hunt down an internet mischief doer there- unless it was another traveler staying at the hotel. If you offer to fill out a report on what you found out, they may or may not hear another report of someone having security issues linked to a stay at that place.

Glad you got it straightened out. Now to find some portable encription solution to travel with. Honest to Pete, it's gonna come down to packing your electronics in a suitcase and your clothes in a shaving kit!

Jim

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
That's great! I don't suppose that the cops back in EastPhart Montana have any care to hunt down an internet mischief doer there- unless it was another traveler staying at the hotel. If you offer to fill out a report on what you found out, they may or may not hear another report of someone having security issues linked to a stay at that place.

Well I do have a call into the hotel manager. I'm sure he'll give me the standard "there is a notice/warning that it is unsecured" but it's worth giving him a head's up if for no other reason than to encourage them to add a level of internal security with a user ID they can give to their guests.

Sure it's not foolproof especially if he has an employee doing this stuff in the middle of the night (all of my activity was!) . . . but it would prevent someone in the neighborhood scabbing their WiFi or just sitting out in the parking lot using it.

I doubt I'll bother with a police report. But who knows? It may be worth a call, after I speak to the hotel manager.

Last edited:

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
HMA Question

Can you download HMA to more than one computer you use it on more than one computer at the same time?

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
Can you download HMA to more than one computer you use it on more than one computer at the same time?

I've not tried. I'm sure that they intend for one license on one computer. I'll let you know later.

Update: Yes, I tried reaching two different server locations and was successful.

Mike

Last edited:

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yvonne... I'd like to thank you, too, for sharing your miserable hacking experience. We've never given one single thought to using caution with free wifi service.

I routinely visit our banking, investment, and CC sites when we travel. I'm quite sure they're all using secured connections, but not thinking about it isn't a very smart thing, is it?

We're going to look into an encryption program. I need to look, first, to see how much protection our AVG Security is giving us.

Practice safe eating, too. Always use condiments. ;)

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
End of Story . . . I think

TripAdvisor has restored everything back to before the hacker accessed my account there. It took a while, but it's done!

I spoke with the hotel manager who was appropriately concerned. They said that they never gave much thought to having an internal password for guests but after this, they will be discussing with their IT vendor so as to add at least some level of security to their guests using their free WiFi service.

I won't be bothering with a police report as it doesn't seem of any value especially since the hotel said to the best of their knowledge this was the first/only instance of such misuse of their WiFi.

I'm glad out of this came some learning for others. As I said, I know about the risks and never gave it much thought. Who would think someone would have the time to go messing around on internet travel sites? I would expect it if they had something to gain, even if it is illegal to do so. But to just screw up someone's day because "they can" seems so juvenile and stupid.

My husband is making a project out of the experience, reverse engineering the hack software (FireSheep) to see what we can do to avoid its future use on us while traveling. He's a bit of a geek that way. :ponder:

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no excuse for places that offer free wifi to not secure it.

It's easy to do and easy enough to give guests the information while they're staying there.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There's no excuse for places that offer free wifi to not secure it.

It's easy to do and easy enough to give guests the information while they're staying there.

Agreed . . . the only thing is it will not prevent a guest or employee of the hotel from playing games. But any little bit helps :)

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
lots of info in most peoples e-mail accounts!

If you think about it, most people have tons of info in their e-mail accounts. What is to stop them from seeing an e-mail from a bank, going there and clicking the forgot password option and having it resent to them before you find out and reclaim your e-mail account?
Not sure I understand how did you get your e-mail account back once the password was changed?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had been using cyberghost but switched to HMA (hide my ass). I changed to HMA at the time because of the combination of ease of use and value. There may be others equal or better, as I have not made a comparison since last Fall...

What are the comparison criteria you will use? Have you found any technical problems in using a VPN while away from home? Does it provide sufficient security for you to log onto a financial account thru the internet?

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you think about it, most people have tons of info in their e-mail accounts. What is to stop them from seeing an e-mail from a bank, going there and clicking the forgot password option and having it resent to them before you find out and reclaim your e-mail account?
Not sure I understand how did you get your e-mail account back once the password was changed?

I can't explain it for other email providers. With AOL all I had to do was go back into my primary account (screen name) with the answer to my "secret question" from which I could change passwords for any/all of my sub-accounts with AOL (I have 5 screen names for various professional and social purposes).

Because all of my AOL email addresses used the same password, I changed all to something new.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What are the comparison criteria you will use?
Just my own personal assessment of available services at the time. It's not a highly technical or complex comparison. Just what I liked at the time for # of servers, reputation, etc. I generally start with comparisons on Lifehacker.com, TechCrunch and other resources and go from there. There certainly may be other services out there equal or better. I would encourage all to do some research, as I will do when my term comes up for renewal.

Have you found any technical problems in using a VPN while away from home?
Not at all. I really don't need it at home. It's more for when I travel. Matter of fact, right now I am sitting in a hotel room in southern Illinois, but the cyberworld actually thinks I am entering it from a point in Colorado.

Does it provide sufficient security for you to log onto a financial account thru the internet?
Yes, it's a secure tunnel to sites that are https.

Bottom line is that if you are using wifi, make sure that your network has adequate security. And, if you travel make sure that the network you are connecting to is secure or you supply your own protection whether it be personal vpn or personal travel router.

Mike

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had been using cyberghost but switched to HMA (hide my ass). I changed to HMA at the time because of the combination of ease of use and value. There may be others equal or better, as I have not made a comparison since last Fall.

I may be making a change again this year if there is a reliable vpn that has both Windows and Android versions for one fee.

Mike

I like HMA Pro, i've used it in the past for several different reasons and it's always been reliable and dependable...i have it setup so my browser(Well my Chrome Incognito browser) won't start up unless HMA Pro is running and that is the only browser i use while traveling

HMA pro is also good if you get 'banned' from a forum, but still want to read it...just sayin

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about a "travel router" which would protect your data and privacy. A wireless broadband router can encode all wireless transmissions with WEP or extra-strength WPA personal encryption. It would appear the device would provide an equivalent encryption afforded by the VPN software. It also would provide a Wi-Fi hot spot for multiple computers/users.

The major difference would be cost over time. The router would be a single payment of maybe $50 (Newegg.com) while the VPN subscription would be a continuing cost of maybe $70 per year.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How about a "travel router" which would protect your data and privacy. A wireless broadband router can encode all wireless transmissions with WEP or extra-strength WPA personal encryption. It would appear the device would provide an equivalent encryption afforded by the VPN software. It also would provide a Wi-Fi hot spot for multiple computers/users.

The major difference would be cost over time. The router would be a single payment of maybe $50 (Newegg.com) while the VPN subscription would be a continuing cost of maybe $70 per year.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Not all timeshares/hotels offer a wired connection option. A travel router also only protects the wireless portion of the communication (definitely do not use WEP as that was hacked years ago), it is possible for another hotel guest on the same network to still grab your data so a VPN is always the best, even with a router as it encrypts the communication from you to the destination, not just from you to your router (which is also in your room).

It always surprises me how many people on a hotel network share their computer. I often can see computer name, iTunes library, etc... You should disable your computer sharing, enable the software firewall, and make certain you have a good backup before you leave home if you won't be using your own router.

zinger1457

Reaction score
A travel router also only protects the wireless portion of the communication (definitely do not use WEP as that was hacked years ago), it is possible for another hotel guest on the same network to still grab your data so a VPN is always the best, even with a router as it encrypts the communication from you to the destination, not just from you to your router (which is also in your room).

I agree a personal VPN is the way to go when using a public wireless connection but it only creates a tunnel and encrypts from your computer to the 'hopefully' secure VPN server, not to your final destination. Need to make sure when selecting a VPN service that it is not only secure but also that it has servers in multiple locations so it doesn't make your already slow hotel Internet connection even slower.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what is the best personal VPN service for us timesharers that travel all over the USA and other countries?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the router in the hotel room will provide a secure connection in the room, but once it passes the router, not so good.

For a VPN, the secure connection continues to their server, but I would have to find out if the VPN provider has a server located anywhere near my land's end destination.

Then there's the question of using a https web site.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
So what is the best personal VPN service for us timesharers that travel all over the USA and other countries?

I don't think you can come up with a best. I've had Witopia for several years and have been happy with it. And I travel the world.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clueless, seeking clues...

I had been using cyberghost but switched to HMA (hide my ass). I changed to HMA at the time because of the combination of ease of use and value. There may be others equal or better, as I have not made a comparison since last Fall.

I may be making a change again this year if there is a reliable vpn that has both Windows and Android versions for one fee.

Mike

While somewhat reluctant to admit my boundless technological ignorance, I would certainly like to learn more about this "personal vpn" --- specifically for use on my laptop while in travel status. I am aware of the security risks of using unsecured wireless access, but often have no real choice.

Any suggestions or direction to point me in to how / where I might better educate my technology-challenged self on acquiring / adopting "HMA" and the like? :shrug: :eek: :shrug:

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For a VPN, the secure connection continues to their server, but I would have to find out if the VPN provider has a server located anywhere near my land's end destination.

It doesn't really matter that much. Granted, distance may have a slight impact on speed.

Then there's the question of using a https web site.

Not sure about the question. That's what you want to connect to when you do banking or secure transactions, email, etc.

Any suggestions or direction to point me in to how / where I might better educate my technology-challenged self on acquiring / adopting "HMA" and the like? :shrug: :eek: :shrug:

While I am using HMA, there are many reputable services out there. Witopia, suggested by linsj, gets very good reviews from users. It's certainly worth a look. Also, check with your antivirus software vendor. I use Avast, and they are supposedly adding this service in 2012.

Here are a couple of tech articles that can get you started. They are from 2011 but will help with some info and recommendations.

www.computerworld.com/s/article/9205401/

http://lifehacker.com/5759186/five-best-vpn-service-providers

Mike

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unsecure TUG login

Do you value your TUG login credentials? If not, don't worry about what I'm going to say.

If you do, be aware that TUBbbs, unfortunately, does not provide https login. This means that your TUG credentials are sent in the clear and can be seen/sniffed over unsecured networks.

Most good Banking sites (not all!) will have full encryption from the point of login to logout. Depending on which browser you are using, an indication that you're connecting via SSL encryption is the https://... URL or a padlock icon showing locked, not unlocked state.

Still unsure? Just make sure you add the https:// in front of any URL you use. If it loads, you have SSL encryption. If it doesn't -- then you don't.

I just posted a request to the TUG Admins in the TUG section of the forums. Its not difficult to implement so I'm baffled as to why the response is .. just don't use any credentials you care about.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you value your TUG login credentials? If not, don't worry about what I'm going to say.

Maybe I should be but I'm not. To the best of my knowledge, there is little to nothing here of real value or at risk should my user ID here get hacked or abused.