• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks Sandra for your trip report - I have been waiting for others' impression of things, but only comments made were about villas.

The USVI is sub-tropical (as evidenced by the numerous cacti in the drier locations).
The car barge when full will squeeze every last vehicle if they need to - we were once last to board right at the ramp and perpendicular as well). It may not appear so, but the loading people are quite aware of the cars in line (who is who).

Glad you made it out to LL. Now... no telling anyone else ;) Seems like the secluded beaches are now gone (TY HGTV and TripAdvisor).
There is a new beach access right down from Ms Vie's that opened recently. We swam out to Angel's Rest (yellow houseboat bar) from there last year, but now it's official.

I only use Gifft Hill road to get to Centerline - I enjoy those turns (nothing like that here) - and especially the drop-down towards the water. I even made a youtube video (blujahz), but can't tell the steepness all that well. (also have one for LL). This is why most have a 4WD - fine when dry, but a 2WD on the wet roads would be unsafe. I would not like to stay in those homes on the Gifft curves and listen to the tire screeches all the time...

Weird they would assign a SO exchange to the hotel rooms... Who the heck knows what goes on behind the scenes? Maybe studios were booked (?), but it is the 1Bd that are limited. Maybe they used SPs?

The Owner's Update is not overly bad - if spare time. I spend more time talking about life on St John as most Sales folk are locals that have lived there a while. (and they know I am not buying anything - upfront). They never did start selling Flex since they are focusing on Sunset Bay - at least what they told me...

thanks again - for your perspectives - helps others
Go Slow - Stay Left

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Oh dear... Hope the situation improves by Aug.

And November...

St John depends on these car barges - everything that supplies the island comes across on those barges. Something will need to be done , eventually... (but on USVI-time - who knows?)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
For those visiting St John this summer, the 50% discount on Honeymoon Beach All-Day Watersports Package is available again. Simply enter "summer" as discount code to get the special.
Here is the website. We did that last Aug and had a blast.

We keep missing Honeymoon beach - odd since it is one of our favorites.
Check seas (wind direction... Caneel Bay overlook if not sure) before going as it is exposed - as there can be bumpy waters. Cruise Ship, excursions also drop off there - so be aware of Cruise times (vinow.com). Also, $20 to park at Caneel - but path along water from Caneel is easiest (vs. hiking down from NPS station) - and just spend $20 at Caneel to cover parking (of course, we end up >$60 it seems - probably why we stopped going...)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
All very good points, David. We always check the cruise ship schedule to avoid crowds.
BTW, the day pass can be used to validate parking, a further saving of $20. :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All very good points, David. We always check the cruise ship schedule to avoid crowds.
BTW, the day pass can be used to validate parking, a further saving of $20. :)

Very good to know... thanks.
I almost had to save a Cruise Ship passenger a few years ago at Honeymoon - they just stick on yellow vest and send them into the water. Poor kid ended up on reef (ouch... those coral scars never heal) - luckily I had water shoes

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Bum info

For those visiting St John this summer, the 50% discount on Honeymoon Beach All-Day Watersports Package is available again. Simply enter "summer" as discount code to get the special.
Here is the website. We did that last Aug and had a blast.

This seems to be bum information. I tried it. The discount did not work for me.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks my decision to use the WSJ Ferry vs renting on St Thomas is pretty good right now.

I worried about same thing (car barge was no issue and didn't need to be there so early), but I would take public taxi/ferry over the WSJ ferry at $120pp. (but that's me...) Then again, we travel on Fri (no Cruise Liners and airport is slow).

Hope you guys have a great time - let us know how it goes.

Crasherino

Reaction score
Our next trip is (finally) at our BV villa that we own EOY. When we stay at VGV we always bring down meat to grill and it works out great. While we've stayed at the BV villas before, we didn't have the occasion to grill so I never bothered to check out what (if any) grills are available.

Does anyone know if there are grills to use at the BV villas? If so, what condition are they in? If anyone has a picture, even better!

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
Yes there is a very nice grilling station that was added recently between 25 and 26( actually sits in front of 26)There are about six grills there and good lighting in case it's dark. We were there 2 weeks ago and they were in good shape. Enjoy!

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car Barges---What to do?

According to the News of St. John, there remains only 1 car ferry between St. Thomas and St. John due to Mister B being held captive by a court case and Captain Vic repeatedly failing USCG inspections, including again this week. Car barge wait times are frequently 4 hours or more.

http://newsofstjohn.com/2016/07/07/current-car-barge-situation-horrible/

I arrive in 4 weeks and had planned to do my usual rental from Amelia on St. Thomas. Now I am rethinking that strategy and am considering renting on St. John.

Can I get some advice on who to rent from? I am looking for clean, reliable...free parking in Cruz Bay would be a plus. I have a big group, so a bigger vehicle than a Wrangler would also be a plus.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
According to the News of St. John, there remains only 1 car ferry between St. Thomas and St. John due to Mister B being held captive by a court case and Captain Vic repeatedly failing USCG inspections, including again this week. Car barge wait times are frequently 4 hours or more.

I arrive in 4 weeks and had planned to do my usual rental from Amelia on St. Thomas. Now I am rethinking that strategy and am considering renting on St. John.

Can I get some advice on who to rent from? I am looking for clean, reliable...free parking in Cruz Bay would be a plus. I have a big group, so a bigger vehicle than a Wrangler would also be a plus.

News of St. John updated the blog says Captain Vic is back up and running. So, back to two barges for the time being.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

If you rent from agency in Cruz Bay - make sure you bring proof of insurance, or you will be forced to add insurance (from what I have heard from others).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
News of St. John updated the blog says Captain Vic is back up and running. So, back to two barges for the time being.

Captain Vic was running as of July 2. We only waited for between 30-45 minutes to board a ferry, both directions.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Captain Vic was running as of July 2. We only waited for between 30-45 minutes to board a ferry, both directions.

Good to know.

The article mentioned waits of 4-6 hours.

We have friends using the ferry on Saturday. They have a 3pm reservation. I will update their travels.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Good to know.

The article mentioned waits of 4-6 hours.

We have friends using the ferry on Saturday. They have a 3pm reservation. I will update their travels.

Note: those wait times were for trucks - cars/jeeps were getting on quicker - something about weight, pumps, and/or tide levels...

I stayed in contact with Amalie (Amy) regarding car barge in case I needed to cancel. Certainly, Amy would understand a last minute cancellation due to car barge issues. We got right-on/off with no issue on June 3&17- I pre-reserved on-line (Love City) for $50 RT - but didn't need to. Return barge wasn't even filled.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Read the last line at the end of the article says "11am update: We hear the Captain Vic is running!! "

Good to know - although I do not need to worry until next June (maybe resolved by then?)
Jenn from NOSJ would be happy that so many Tuggers read her news blog.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Note: those wait times were for trucks - cars/jeeps were getting on quicker - something about weight, pumps, and/or tide levels...

I stayed in contact with Amalie (Amy) regarding car barge in case I needed to cancel. Certainly, Amy would understand a last minute cancellation due to car barge issues. We got right-on/off with no issue on June 3&17- I pre-reserved on-line (Love City) for $50 RT - but didn't need to. Return barge wasn't even filled.

If you buy a RT...are you limited to that one barge or do they accept each other's return tickets?

EDIT...I guess this doesn't matter right now as both operational ferries are Love City.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does having a reservation guarantee a departure time, assuming you get there by the required time?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does having a reservation guarantee a departure time, assuming you get there by the required time?

'guarantee'? in the USVI? I don't think I have ever seen that word used in USVI. How would that sound in local dialect? :D

I do not think that strong of word is used - especially for a ferry that requires multiple logistics and dependent on sea conditions. But, it requires to be there 20 min ahead of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.