• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV-N&S Emergency Assessment [Retroactive Taxes]

labonnevie

Reaction score
LisaRex,
Your two postings are very insightful. Mike White is now the Council Chair and appears to have a real burr under his saddle for timeshares. That he is the GM of a hotel would seem to mean timeshare owners will never get a fair taxation rate vs. hotels.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Just paid property taxes for Hono Koa oceanfront units, and we own three of those. $264.10 per week.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bills for the special assessment will be mailed shortly and will be due thirty (30) days from the date of mailing.

Question #1 -- anyone get a bill yet? Curious, as Canadian owners may be impacted by a potential postal strike here delaying delivery of the notices.

Question #2 -- since the monies were already due (and I assume paid on time), where did the HOA get the monies from to cover itself until people's assessments get paid 30+ days later?

Question #3 -- how are they going to deal with delinquencies? I assume the paying owners will get extra added to their 2017 MFs to cover whoever didn't pay up. Which also goes back to question #2 of where are the monies coming from to cover the delinquent amounts in the short term? The budget line item for reserve for uncollectable accounts only adds up to $300K. Unless there's somewhere that amount has been building up (anyone get Balance Sheets?), since there has been a line item in the budget for this every year...

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Question #1 -- anyone get a bill yet? Curious, as Canadian owners may be impacted by a potential postal strike here delaying delivery of the notices.

Question #2 -- since the monies were already due (and I assume paid on time), where did the HOA get the monies from to cover itself until people's assessments get paid 30+ days later?

They collected all of 2016 MF in January but have onoy burnt through about 50% of that come July. They just advanced it from the rest of the years operating fund.

Question #3 -- how are they going to deal with delinquencies? I assume the paying owners will get extra added to their 2017 MFs to cover whoever didn't pay up. Which also goes back to question #2 of where are the monies coming from to cover the delinquent amounts in the short term? The budget line item for reserve for uncollectable accounts only adds up to $300K. Unless there's somewhere that amount has been building up (anyone get Balance Sheets?), since there has been a line item in the budget for this every year...

Does Vistana have a program where after the HOA forecloses Vistana then buys back that inventory and covers the MFs to then turn and resell the weeks?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
They collected all of 2016 MF in January but have onoy burnt through about 50% of that come July. They just advanced it from the rest of the years operating fund.

Yuck. MF revenues are $25million, leaving them $12million now, so if that's what they did, that took half their remaining monies

Does Vistana have a program where after the HOA forecloses Vistana then buys back that inventory and covers the MFs to then turn and resell the weeks?

They did that back in 2008 I think it was (or was that at other properties?) when delinquencies were significant. I don't know if they would do the same for not paying the SA at this time of the year.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
LisaRex,
Your two postings are very insightful. Mike White is now the Council Chair and appears to have a real burr under his saddle for timeshares. That he is the GM of a hotel would seem to mean timeshare owners will never get a fair taxation rate vs. hotels.

I agree. I think it's funny that he connects the closure of the luau with the building of more timeshares. I've gone to a luau 3 of the 5 times I've visited Maui....just not his.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yuck. MF revenues are $25million, leaving them $12million now, so if that's what they did, that took half their remaining monies

I also don't know how Maui taxes are billed. Do they bill in one installment? When it the yearly taxes due. Perhaps those are not due until later this year and they just advanced from the tax money collected in the January MFs and will get the SA back in time to pay the annual installment(s)?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also don't know how Maui taxes are billed. Do they bill in one installment? When it the yearly taxes due. Perhaps those are not due until later this year and they just advanced from the tax money collected in the January MFs and will get the SA back in time to pay the annual installment(s)?

Property taxes are billed semi-annually, with first half due in mid-February and second half due in mid-August. This latest recalculation of years 2006-2008 was due 6/24/16, and acc to the letter, they had 2 weeks to cough up the dough. It appears to me that the County of Maui is trying to throw its weight around in retaliation for the sunshine law lawsuit, and cause as much aggravation as possible.

Sadly, owners are caught in the middle of this ridiculous pissing contest and it is they who are getting wet. Even if you ultimately get a refund on the SA, which I believe will eventually happen, how much are you going to have to fork out in attorney's fees to fight it?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

psfcfa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, Four Seasons Aviara
Has anyone actually received an invoice for the SA, or would it show up on the VSE website? Surprisingly, I never even received the original email, and wouldn't know about it were it not for this forum!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
BTW, I don't see a reference to the re-assessment of 2006-8 on the property tax website anymore. They also removed the 10% penalty. This may mean that the County has already reconsidered its position on this. I'd contact my HOA rep and ask what the status is before paying that SA.

http://qpublic9.qpublic.net/hi_maui_display.php?KEY=440140030175&show_history=1&

LisaRex - this is interesting - thanks for taking the time to research all of this.

I am happy that Mike White (Council Chair) is spouting off on-record (sans facts). I would imagine this would be beneficial to an appeal by WKORV/N since it shows clear bias and conflict of interest.

Hopefully - this is a sign that Maui would lose in court...
or - they just haven't had time to process and mail bills yet...

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Mike White is up for reelection. He has campaign signs all over the island. It will be interesting to see the council results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Corrected: Sorry - I looked at the wrong ownership! The SA is NOT listed on my Acct. That was the EOY MF for my SDO rental!

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have also received no response from VSE to my request for a copy of the bill from the county.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ooppsss - I looked at the wrong ownership! :doh::doh::doh:

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Just found this interesting.

Published in The Maui News, June 26, 2016
By MIKE WHITE, for The Maui News

As famous Maui visitor Mark Twain observed, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Mayor Alan Arakawa’s Oct. 10 “Our County” column was filled with statistics about the county budget, but readers were left with false impressions.

The mayor complained of the County Council’s purported decision to “withhold money from those who need it” and accused the council of increasing its budget by 34 percent. His reasoning and data just do not add up. In fact, he used inaccurate budget numbers in his calculations.

Mark Twain

If he used the correct numbers, he would have found that the council’s budget increased by only a total 11.46 percent from fiscal year 2011 until fiscal year 2017. In comparison, the Mayor’s Office, including the administrative arm of the Office of Economic Development, actually increased its budget 18.35 percent over the same period, or 6.89 percentage points more than the council.

The mayor also failed to state that in just six years the county’s budget has grown by $133.3 million, or more than 25 percent. The vast majority of taxpayers paying for this growth in county government have not seen their incomes grow by anything close to that rate.

The council has judiciously pared down the mayor’s budget proposal each year of his tenure, seeking to ensure county spending is in line with the tax base’s willingness and ability to pay. We agreed to many increases, especially to meet rising labor costs and for large-scale investments back into our community. This is a far cry from withholding money from those who need it.

It can be debated whether the annual budget ordinance has always been an ideal size. But it’s not reasonable to suggest the council has been too stingy.

The primary complaint lodged in the column is about the council’s consideration of the mayor’s submitted bills ostensibly designed to address homelessness. The homelessness legislation was divided into two packages: various budget amendments and new criminal laws.

Ultimately, the mayor couldn’t stand behind the budget amendments. Money proposed for the suggested programs was in fact needed for mandatory payroll costs. As the Mayor’s Office quietly acknowledged to the council, the administration had no other way to meet these payroll costs other than to shift this money.

The council has and continues to recognize that homelessness is a problem.

Even before an emergency was declared, under the leadership of Council Member Stacy Crivello the council forgave $4.2 million in debt that Ka Hale A Ke Ola Homeless Resource Center owed to the county. The premise behind the loan forgiveness was to allow resources to be focused on housing instead of loan repayments to the county.

In fiscal years 2015 and 2016, the council appropriated $641,000 each year specifically for homeless programs. In addition, the council approved in the fiscal year 2017 budget, which takes effect on Friday, many homeless-related expenditures. The budget appropriates $1 million for homeless programs and new homeless positions in the Department of Housing and Human Concerns.

This is in addition to over $4 million for many other social service programs that directly or indirectly assist individuals exposed to homelessness, such as Mental Health Kokua, Feed My Sheep, the Maui Food Bank, Mental Health Association in Hawaii and the Salvation Army – just to name a few.

The council referred the new criminal laws to the Policy and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee. Some of the bills have questionable legal validity, as has been reported (“ACLU opposes bills offered to address issues with homeless,” The Maui News, March 5). But I would like to see them scheduled in committee to allow for a public review and final resolution.

I have confidence the council is more than willing to continue chipping away at the homeless issue. However, the administration needs to develop a long-term strategy that is sustainable and not merely a Band-Aid fix.

Simply throwing money at a project on a whim, without taking a hard look at what is currently being provided, is destined to waste taxpayer dollars and do nothing to solve the problems. The council looks forward to the continued dialogue and being a part of the solution – like we have been for many years now.

Mahalo.

* Mike White is chair of the Maui County Council. He holds the council seat for the Paia-Haiku-Makawao residency area. “Chair’s 3 Minutes” is a weekly column to explain the latest news on county legislative matters. Go to mauicounty.us for more information.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I received a canned, off-topic response to my request to see a copy of the Maui tax bill. I send a 2nd request and asked them not to send me a canned email.

Thank you for contacting Vistana Management, Inc.

This correspondence comes as a follow-up and response to your recent email communication. Thank you for your inquiry surrounding your vacation ownership located at The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort.

Bills for the special assessment will be mailed shortly and will be due thirty (30) days from the date of mailing.

If we can be of further assistance, our hours of operation are:

Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time
Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time
800-729-8246 - Toll free
407-903-4670 - Local & International
407-418-7771 - Facsimile

Sincerely,
Association Management

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I received a canned, off-topic response to my request to see a copy of the Maui tax bill. I send a 2nd request and asked them not to send me a canned email.

Did you sent to WKORV HOA email address? or just VSE Management?
This is a HOA issue - they are the ones dealing with this issue, and billing us.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Neither one - I emailed them through the VSE Dashboard, where you can select your resort, deed, topic, etc, and send a message pertaining to it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Neither one - I emailed them through the VSE Dashboard, where you can select your resort, deed, topic, etc, and send a message pertaining to it.

iirc - they is a email link to specific HOAs under HOA specific tab.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is this on the dashboard under WHAT I OWN?

Sorry for late reply - finally had a chance to look. I recall MSC having a specific link to HOAs, but cannot find on the new VSE dashboard - now just goes to single site (as you found). Interesting, you would think that one should be able to contact an HOA BOD for specific resort issues.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No response to my 2nd message asking for documentation.