• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

......When their Lips are Moving!

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We all know the old joke about when a timeshare salesperson is lying. Recently I spoke with a Starwood salesperson over the phone. I had a lot of questions about the SVN program that I could not find answers to on this boards stickys, the FAQs, or Starwoods owner manual. Here are my questions and the salesperson's answers. Are they correct?

Q: Does it matter where StarOption originate from, are some points stronger traders than others?
A: No, points are points.

Q:Is there a fee to reserve a week at your home resort? A fee to reserve a week at a sister resort? A fee to reserve less than a week at any SVN resort?
A: No, No, and No

Q: When do StarOptions become available for use?
A; Jan 1 of the use year. So, a 2015 week, the StarOptions become available on 1-1-2015.

Q: When do StarOptions need to be used by?
A: All StarOptions need to used by Dec 31 of the use year for a reservation that commences by Dec 31 of the use year..

Q: Can StarOptions be extended?
A: Yes, they can be extended for 2-years for a single $99 fee. If extended 2015 StarOptions can be used until Dec 31, 2017.

Q: Is their a housekeeping or split week fee for stays less than a week?
A: No extra fees for stays less than a week.

Q: Can left over StarOptions be deposited into II?
A: No, only a week at your home resort can be deposited.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of nights I can stay per year?
A: You can stay as many nights as you have StarOptions for.

Q: How long are hotel points good for?
A: 6 years.

Q: How many hotel points do 81,000 StarOtions or 141,000 StarOptions convert to?
A: Depends on the resort they originate from.

Q: Can a family member use my week or a week I reserve through SVN? Do I need to check in?
A: No, anyone can use your week. As long as you put their name on the reservation they can check-in.

Q: Is a guest certificate required?
A: Guest Certificates are not required.

So is my faith in timeshare people restored?

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
All answers look correct to me (although I'm not sure about the points... we've never converted options to points).

Regarding extending StarOptions, this must be done by July 1, except maybe for higher membership levels.

No fee to add a guest name, but - of course - you must call to add the guest's name to the reservation so the person can check in.

Also, you didn't ask but good to know... you can borrow options from a future years after paying the estimated maintenance fees for that year.

Sent from Tapatalk

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
All answers look correct to me (although I'm not sure about the points... we've never converted options to points).

Regarding extending StarOptions, this must be done by July 1, except maybe for higher membership levels.

No fee to add a guest name, but - of course - you must call to add the guest's name to the reservation so the person can check in.

Also, you didn't ask but good to know... you can borrow options from a future years after paying the estimated maintenance fees for that year.

Sent from Tapatalk

Thank you, I appreciate the confirmation. I'm surprised they got it 100% correct.

One more question I forgot to add to my list.

Q: When can I reserve a week at my home resort? Reserve a week at a different SVN resort? Reserve less than a week at any SVN resort?

A: 12 months before the date of check-in. 8 months before check-in. 8 month before check-in. (This last one surprised me. I thought it was less than 8 month before check-in, like 30 days or 60 days)

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think there may be a hk charge for split weeks. I am not sure if it is consistently collected. It is never charged for the first reservation you make regardless of the days involved.

My understanding and this is not from personal experience would be you are entitled to one cleaning per week you own (one for each side for a lock off). So if you own a lock off but opt for 4 three night stays - you could be charged when you check in on the third and fourth stays.

Also (without borrowing or banking) star options are available to be used during the use year but since you use star options 8 months prior to check in, if you wanted a reservation for January you would be using star options for 2015 when you called in May 2014.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Q: When can I reserve a week at my home resort? Reserve a week at a different SVN resort? Reserve less than a week at any SVN resort?

A: 12 months before the date of check-in. 8 months before check-in. 8 month before check-in. (This last one surprised me. I thought it was less than 8 month before check-in, like 30 days or 60 days)

It used to be 60 days before check-in. The rule changed recently and now any length of stay can be reserved 8 months before check-in.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think there may be a hk charge for split weeks. I am not sure if it is consistently collected. It is never charged for the first reservation you make regardless of the days involved.

Absolutely correct! I recently made two reservations for 2015. The second one does show a housekeeping charge.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Thank you, I appreciate the confirmation. I'm surprised they got it 100% correct.

One more question I forgot to add to my list.

I believe a stay of less than a week can't be booked until less than 90 days out, unless it is a partial week tacked onto a full week that starts or ends on a normal check-in day. If that changed recently, I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It did change recently.

Sent from Tapatalk

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I believe a stay of less than a week can't be booked until less than 90 days out, unless it is a partial week tacked onto a full week that starts or ends on a normal check-in day. If that changed recently, I'm not aware of it.
That's no longer the case. Any length of stay can be booked at 8 months.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sent from Tapatalk

I'm in the process of closing on a SVN mandatory resale purchase. Do I need to have paid the 2015 maintenance fee in order to reserve a timeshare in 2015? Or do I just need to have paid it by the time I actually use the week? I think I know the answer but just want to confirm.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
One Thing Still Confucing...

One thing I still don't understand is trading through II with SVN. I know Starwood gets to choose which week they deposit for me into II, the owner has no choice in it.

But, if I owned a 2 bedroom non-lockoff in platinum season worth 81,000 StarOptions, can I trade those StarOptions in II? Or, do I only have access to one week in a 2 bedroom which is all that will be "deposited" into II. If so, I could only trade my 2 bedroom week for a week in a 2 bedroom, or smaller. I could not make 2 trades., one for a week in a studio and one for a week in a 1 bedroom. Correct?

Hyatt and Hilton are also point based systems but the number of points needed for an II or RCI trade depends upon the unit size and season one trades into. So, a platinum 2 bedroom could yield enough points for 3-weeks in a studio in red season, 2-weeks in a one bedroom during white season, and a week in a 3-bedroom during blue season. Is this type of trade allowed in SVN?

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
But, if I owned a 2 bedroom non-lockoff in platinum season worth 81,000 StarOptions, can I trade those StarOptions in II? Or, do I only have access to one week in a 2 bedroom which is all that will be "deposited" into II. If so, I could only trade my 2 bedroom week for a week in a 2 bedroom, or smaller. I could not make 2 trades., one for a week in a studio and one for a week in a 1 bedroom. Correct?

II is week-based, so a week is a week.

A non-lockoff is only a single week, so you can only exchange it for a single week.

The benefit of a lock-off is that you can break it apart in to a week of the "larger" side and a week of the "smaller" side, effectively giving you two separate exchanges each for a single week.

The on-going requests are for the same size unit as what you have, or smaller.

An instant exchange could let you book for a larger unit if your unit sees those larger units. Remember, those units are the "left-overs" after all on-going requests have been filled.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Q: Is their a housekeeping or split week fee for stays less than a week?
A: No extra fees for stays less than a week.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of nights I can stay per year?
A: You can stay as many nights as you have StarOptions for.

This is partially correct. There is no direct housekeeping fees for split weeks. You can stay as many nights as you have SOs. But, you only receive one housekeeping per 1-bed week you own, so if you have a deed for a single 2-bed week then you get two housekeeping visits per year.

I have this issue most years as I stretch my SOs normally by staying in 1-bed units. Each resort has a different fee for the housekeeping but typical 1-bed tidy fees are ~$30. For instance, I will be at WDW in the near future and I will have a housekeeping fee. I'll be at SVR for a single night next month and will pay another $30 housekeeping fee, etc.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm in the process of closing on a SVN mandatory resale purchase. Do I need to have paid the 2015 maintenance fee in order to reserve a timeshare in 2015? Or do I just need to have paid it by the time I actually use the week? I think I know the answer but just want to confirm.
I don't know if it varies by resort, but at Vistana Resort we don't have to pay MFs to book in the year the StarOptions belong...only to borrow from a future year.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
And I believe if you are banking the following year with II.

gregb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN
Pacman777:

Maintenance fees are due on January 1 each year for the coming year. You do not need to pay your 2015 fee to make a 2015 reservation in 2014. However, you must pay it by January 1, 2015, or you may/will lose your reservation.

If you want to borrow Staroptions and/or deposit next year's usage into II, then you usually need to pay the MF at the time of that you borrow and/or deposit. Otherwise, SVN doesn't have a way to ensure you pay the MF.

Greg

JeffBrown

TUG Member
Reaction score
quick question

Q: Does it matter where StarOption originate from, are some points stronger traders than others?
A: No, points are points.

Q: How many hotel points do 81,000 StarOtions or 141,000 StarOptions convert to?
A: Depends on the resort they originate from.

It sounds to me like you were speaking with someone who wasn't intentionally trying to mis-lead you which is a good thing.

On my quotation of your answers, these two are what I can't figure out....if points are points then why aren't the hotel points the same at x resort for 81k and y resort for 81k?

Anybody know the reason?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points are Points perhaps should be stated as StarOptions are StarOptions. Within the SVN system, it doesn't matter where the StarOptions came from, within the 8 month reservation window, in terms of making a reservations.

Different resorts offer different perks for buying there. Conversion to StarPoints is one of them, and not all resorts command the same conversion when you give up the week you own. You aren't really converting StarOptions into StarPoints. You are converting the ability to use of the week you own into StarPoints. Both StarOptions and StarPoint conversion are perks of your ownership, but they are not what you actually own, and are not tied to each other.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I wish they would use different names. When I try to follow along a post like this :crash:the StarPoints and StarOptions make me dizzy, but that's not hard to do now a days.

wallace37

Reaction score
Q: Can StarOptions be extended?
A: Yes, they can be extended for 2-years for a single $99 fee. If extended 2015 StarOptions can be used until Dec 31, 2017.

Hi- Newbie here....If I have two SVN properties (currently waiting for first one to close) and have the SOs merged into one account, is it a single $99 fee for all the non-used points to be extended, or $99 per resort property? I bought an EOY that I plan to split the SOs over two years and supplement the second year with the second property SOs some time in the future to get a full week. Also is 'extended' the same as 'banking'? Thank you.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
extended = banking

cxsjohn...
StarOptions (SO) = SVO Timeshares
{SVO calls these Staroption points}

StarPoints (SP) = SPG Hotels

easy...

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
extended = banking

cxsjohn...
StarOptions (SO) = SVO Timeshares
{SVO calls these Staroption points}

StarPoints (SP) = SPG Hotels

easy...

Thanks, it is easy when I see it like this, it's when I see them used in the same posts that I get confused. I think I've got it figured now, hotel points is how I'll remember.

I'm still thinking of spending more time in TSs and am intrigued by the different points systems and pay attention to the threads.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks, it is easy when I see it like this, it's when I see them used in the same posts that I get confused. I think I've got it figured now, hotel points is how I'll remember.

I'm still thinking of spending more time in TSs and am intrigued by the different points systems and pay attention to the threads.

Having just purchased a TiVo Roamio and Mini (they just started a no service fee for the Mini) - I have been reading the TiVo Forum - crazy acronyms...

There are different ways to get SPs.
I use an AMEX SPG ($65 annual fee). I get great value from it even with the gradual SP devaluation.
They can also be purchased from SPG - 3.5 cents/SP, and often discountED (but has limitations).

The other methods are converting SOs to SPs (only those from SVO purchased or SVN-requaled weeks), SP incentives for buying from SVO, or using Explorer Package (like SP incentives with a future purchase and stay at a 'discount').

There is also an expiration difference based on how they were acquired.

Last edited: