• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar help needed

blondietink

Reaction score
Well, our Lagunamar vacation is coming up in less than 2 weeks, and the only planning I have done is to book our airport transfer with USA Transfers. So, I need some help. My questions are:

1. There is an option at USA Transfers to opt for a stop at Super Wal-Mart. We do eat in our villa a lot (4 adults), so we must go to the grocery store sometime shortly after we arrive. Is this option worth it? Don't know if I want to wait for check-in time directly off the plane and then go to get groceries, when I could just go right from the plane and make it to the resort right around check-in time.

2. Our plane lands at 1:30 pm. How soon do you think we will be through customs? We have a wheelchair person in our party, so we are usually one of the last off the plane.

3. DH wants to go to Chichen Itza (?). Should we book this with the concierge or somebody else?

4. What local crafts are reasonably priced in Cancun? I have always wanted a tooled leather handbag, made in Mexico but don't even know if this is something available in Cancun or not. What about silver jewelry? Don't want to spend a fortune, but want a souvenir.

5. Have heard that the resort is getting a refurb. Is there a better section to request at this point or not?

6. Mexican Pesos: will the hotel exchange US dollars into Pesos and if so, do they charge an exchange fee?

7. What are the best snorkeling spots?

That's all for now. I'm sure I will think of other questions.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
1) USA Transfers will make a stop. You will need to ask them and they will charge you add'l but it may be worth it depending on the groceries. They are easy to use and dependable. You can also take the local bus for less than $1USD and take a cab back - usually $10 USD. I hate nothing more than extending the travel time and like to get checked in to the hotel, then head out. You may be able to use the bus & taxi combo for less than what USA Transfers will charge for the extra stop.
2) Customs shouldn't be too bad this time of year - off season. We usually go during peak season and holidays and it has been horrendous - 3 hours +. Watch out for the "tourist advisors" outside of customs.
3) You can book Chitzen Itza with the concierge and they may be able to find a deal - but it may require a timeshare presentation. There are also many more tourist companies. I'd suggest using Trip Advisor. Going to Chitzen Itza is really a full day trip so you may want to look for a trip package that includes everything.
4) Don't know about jewelry. Someone else on the board may know more about that. There is a mall directly across the street (La Isla) that will have high end shops. You can also venture into downtown for a more local shop. There are also A LOT of "souvenir" shops around the hotel zone and downtown.
5) Every room has an ocean view. IMHO there really isn't a bad location. However, phase 1 has more activities going on and is more kid friendly. Phase 2 will be quieter. I like building 5 that is above the main reception area.
6) You really do not need many Pesos. Your dollars are accepted everywhere. You can change at the resort for usually decent rate but you won't need much - mainly just for bus and taxis if you use them. I might suggest a no foreign transaction fee credit card. Then changing money is literally free and most shops take credit card. Use Pesos only for incidentals.
7) Snorkeling is good nearby around Isla Mujeras. You can also head south toward Tulum and Playa Del Carmen for great spots. Again, I'd look for a tour company, potentially all inclusive company that can also provide transportation and even food. There are also snorkeling parks such as Xel-Ha and XCaret.

Last edited:

saywhat

Reaction score
Market 28 for craft shopping. Rule of thumb is pay about 50/60% of the starting price, careful with the jewelry a lot of of it is bogus silver.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
6 & 7

6. Do not get pesos from the hotel. Best is to get pesos from the red bank atm that is to your left as you start out the airport. And don't be concerned if that machine tells you they will be charging $26 or so for the transaction. $26 there means 26 pesos...about 2 dollars.

Second choice for pesos is to exit Lagunamar, cross the road, and proceed to the left about a block or 2. Then, up on your right, you will see a Scotia Bank. There is a bank atm inside the door just to the right of the bank entrance. The exchange costs there will be essentially the same as at the atm at the airport.

Use your home bank's debit card at either of these atms, and you will save money. And always be sure it's a bank atm. There are atms, often at hotels & resorts (as at Lagunamar) that are not bank machines. They charge an arm & a leg. FWIW, you can find bank atms at most supermarkets as well.

And do not use dollars. You will lose 10-20% on the dollar if you do. Also, if you use dollars for tips, you will just be shafting the folks you are trying to help by that same amount. They have to take your dollars to the money exchange, whose exchange rates are outrageous.

7. If you are not a veteran snorkeler (and even if you are), I think you would enjoy Xel-Ha. It's also great for kids, and the food (included) is fairly decent...and of considerable variety.

The concierge at Lagunamar can help you here. They often have discounts, and they offer perhaps the best concierge services we have found anywhere.

Alternatively, check out Entertainment Plus on the internet (closely related to USA Transfers). They are reliable, and they offer reasonable rates for tourist activities such as Chichen Itza & Xel-Ha.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I used the ATM at the resort when I was there years ago and it provided excellent conversion rate.

Sent from my iPad

hunkyleebo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at WLR this week. They told us at checkin that buildings 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 are closed for renovation. The phase 1 gym and it's locker rooms are also closed for a month of renovation.

blondietink

Reaction score
So, if all those buildings are closed, what options are left?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We're at WLR this week. They told us at checkin that buildings 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 are closed for renovation. The phase 1 gym and it's locker rooms are also closed for a month of renovation.

That's pretty much the whole north (left) side of the resort and that's A LOT of rooms going empty. What kind of renovations are they doing???

We debated this in a thread a while ago but no one could seem to find anything out, it's as if there was a big cover up or something. What can you see is going on??

hunkyleebo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't tell what they're doing from the outside at this point other than remortaring some rock walls.

hunkyleebo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been asking around about the renovations. We've been told that they're replacing the ductwork and thermostats. The new thermostats will shut off the a/c when the balcony doors open. Hopefully, this will cut down on the musty smell. They are also replacing some appliances. The wireless has improved and we haven't needed our own wireless router.