• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about exchanging a Marriott in II

Naniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this description of exchanging on a Marriott Timesharing 101 site:

Exchanging Your Marriott Vacation Club Week

Looking to change things up a bit and do an exchange? Through Interval International, there are two types of exchange options available to Weeks owners:

Internal Exchanges

When you wish to exchange your Marriott week for stays within the Marriott Vacation Club network of resorts, it is known as an Internal Exchange. Internal Exchanges allow you to exchange your week in one of two ways:

• You may exchange your week for a week at your home resort within a different season or year, OR
  • You may exchange your week for the same week at a different Marriott Vacation Club resort.

External Exchanges

External Exchanges allow you to exchange your week at your home resort for another week at a non-Marriott Vacation Club Resort.

*Note that in order to be eligible for either an Internal Exchange or an External Exchange, you must have a membership with Interval International that is current through your desired exchange dates.

Does this mean that if I purchase a FIXED week unit at a Marriott, I can only exchange back to my home resort during another week/season or I can exchange for the same week at a different Marriott resort? I don't have the option to exchange for a different week at a different Marriott resort?

I'm thinking about adding a Marriott to my timeshare portfolio for exchanging in II, but if a fixed week has these limitations, then I need to be sure to get a floating week.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
They work like any other week. You can exchange for anything. You get a discounted exchange fee if you exchange into another Marriott.

DanaTom

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. It sure looks like they state you can exchange into other Marriotts for "the same week" you already have reserved. It's not how it works, but the language looks like that is what it is indicating.

I've always exchanged my week for different weeks at other Marriott VC locations.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found this description of exchanging on a Marriott Timesharing 101 site:

Does this mean that if I purchase a FIXED week unit at a Marriott, I can only exchange back to my home resort during another week/season or I can exchange for the same week at a different Marriott resort? I don't have the option to exchange for a different week at a different Marriott resort?

I'm thinking about adding a Marriott to my timeshare portfolio for exchanging in II, but if a fixed week has these limitations, then I need to be sure to get a floating week.

That info is inaccurate and misleading. There are no true Marriott internal exchanges in II. There is only a Marriott to Marriott preference period where certain units are hidden for a period of time if using a non-Marriott deposit. A preference period is not the same as an internal exchange, especially when the preference period is inconsistent.

You could look at the preference period as a type of 3rd party managed "internal exchange", but sometimes the preference period is only 3 days, 24 hours, and in some cases none at all. A true internal exchange program would be completely closed, defined, and controlled for only Marriott owners. The DC program managed by Marriott is a true internal exchange program. The Florida Club is also an internal exchange program but it is very limited.

I think "for the same week" just means a comparable exchange. This is also inaccurate and misleading.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I think I've found where you got this and it's worth noting that it's not an official Marriott site. Like the others who posted here I think the part about, "for the same week" is just incorrect. The internal/external stuff, not so much because both II and Marriott mention those exact words in their documents to differentiate between exchanges in to other Marriotts and out to non-Marriotts, but nowhere else have we seen anything that says fixed Marriott Weeks can only be exchanged for the same week of the usage calendar or for a similar calendar/unit size week. In fact some calendars allow for fixed Weeks to be booked directly through Marriott, no exchanging required, into other seasons at the same resorts.

Last edited:

Naniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct - it was not an official Marriott site. I just Googled for some information since I didn't think Marriott would have anything about fixed/floating/exchanging on its website now that they are into the destination club point system.

Thanks for the prompt responses.