• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$50 Cleaning Fee For Reservation Using Banked StarOptions

MarkD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I've seen this discussed before but I just made a SVN reservation for next year using Banked StarOptions and on my confirmation is lists a cleaning fee of $50. I have never seen this before so I called Owner Services and the representative said that "starting this year any reservation made using banked options will result in a cleaning fee. The maintenance fees (which cover cleaning) are only good for the year in which they are paid even if you don't use it that year." This has got to be one of the craziest/stupidest policies I can imagine--even for Starwood. :wall:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think that is correct - often the entry level Reps simply don't know what they are talking about. Call back, and ask for Owner Resolution Services.

Usually the cleaning fees are applied when you reserve more weeks than you own.

Let's say you own a 2 bdm. lock-off at WKORV, and you use the Staroptions to make 3 one week reservations - in that situation, they could charge you for an extra cleaning fee for the 3rd week.

Last edited:

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure I've seen this discussed before but I just made a SVN reservation for next year using Banked StarOptions and on my confirmation is lists a cleaning fee of $50. I have never seen this before so I called Owner Services and the representative said that "starting this year any reservation made using banked options will result in a cleaning fee. The maintenance fees (which cover cleaning) are only good for the year in which they are paid even if you don't use it that year." This has got to be one of the craziest/stupidest policies I can imagine--even for Starwood. :wall:

I believe that quote is accurate. I think it's mostly owing to the fact that Starwood's reservation system can't keep track of where options come from when they cross use years. I had the same problem when I borrowed 2015 options to make reservations in 2014. Once I had more reservations in a particular use year than weeks owned, I started to get the cleaning fee charge even though the usage I was borrowing should have had a free cleaning.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That is terrible...

MarkD

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I just got off the phone with Owner Resolution Services and they CONFIRMED that the charge is accurate. Because my Maintenance Fees cover housekeeping in the usage year that they are paid they can't cover them in "banked" years. Absolutely ridiculous!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Isn't that double-dipping on their their part?

Tradetimes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Why are you surprised? ;)

Sent from my iPad

Ridiculous like 2 II account for vol. and Man. resort, and the 134$ annuel fee for SVN membership when you have only bi-annuel week...

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Interesting. I have used banked options and not been charged an extra fee.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Interesting. I have used banked options and not been charged an extra fee.

Apparently this started this year. Did you use your banked options recently?

Sent from my iPad

work2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the policy is applied when someone is adding a few days rather than a full week by using banked staroptions.

It seems to me that a fair way of addressing this potential double dipping issue by Starwood would be to eliminate the cleaning fee from the maintenance fee and add it to the daily charge when you reserve your VOI.
Which begs the question...what exactly does the current daily fee charge cover if not the cleaning services? Maui bed taxes?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Which begs the question...what exactly does the current daily fee charge cover if not the cleaning services? Maui bed taxes?
Yes, in Hawaii there is a Transient Accommodations Tax (TAT) that applies to timeshares, over and above the exorbitant real property tax rate they apply on the back end.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently this started this year. Did you use your banked options recently?

Sent from my iPad
My answer to that is I used 2015 options plus some banked options for 10 nights in WLR next Feb and did not get charged.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I used banked SOs to book a night at SDO later this month. I'll let you know if I get charged a cleaning fee.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I used banked SOs to book a night at SDO later this month. I'll let you know if I get charged a cleaning fee.
What does your confirmation say?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If there is a cleaning fee, it's ON your confirmation.

Bob808

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you use banked staroptions I believe you also lose any priority view you might have, e.g. you would lose your oceanfront location. You also are bumped down to 8 month out from 12 month out reservation window for your home resort.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you use banked staroptions I believe you also lose any priority view you might have, e.g. you would lose your oceanfront location.

That is correct - Staroption reservations have "floating views." But they do not automatically have a cleaning fee.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I had two rooms reserved in Orlando that I used bank options for and got hit with $50 cleaning fees on. When we noticed them they waived the fees. We didn't even have housekeeping come in because we were only there for a short stay and not a week.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I just booked 4 weeks using banked options. On the reservation confirmations it says "Housekeeping Fees - Does Not Apply". This is at 3 different resorts, if that matters - HRA, WKORV, and WPR. The only time I was ever charged a fee was when I stayed a partial week at Vistana Villages. They told me my maintenance fees cover one cleaning per unit week, so if you split a week into days, then there is more than one cleaning per unit week. Makes sense to me, I guess.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I had two rooms reserved in Orlando that I used bank options for and got hit with $50 cleaning fees on. When we noticed them they waived the fees. We didn't even have housekeeping come in because we were only there for a short stay and not a week.

I was at SVV for one night last week in a small 1-bed and paid a $30 cleaning fee.

Sent from my iPad

JeanAnneSunny

Reaction score
commercial cleaning services are ideal and perfect when it comes to dealing with clients and businessmen. These services are used over and over again because of their efficiency and cleanliness. It'll be expensive and not practical for businesses to have their own carpet cleaning crew and janitorial services and tools. Business are always looking out for ways to cut corners. :cool::cool: