• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Initially, at least, I suspect installation of solar panels will increase maintenance fees.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Initially, at least, I suspect installation of solar panels will increase maintenance fees.

I think it will depend on how they're being funded. I've been involved with a couple of these projects and with subsidies and deprecation, even when financed, the monthly cost was less than the original cost of the energy.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I think it will depend on how they're being funded. I've been involved with a couple of these projects and with subsidies and deprecation, even when financed, the monthly cost was less than the original cost of the energy.

text from post #12 re: Energy costs related to WSJ-VGV (Hillside)

Energy costs
We continue to seek ways to reduce energy costs, given the very expensive cost of electricity in the Virgin Islands (currently about 50 cents per kilowatt hour). We have decided against installing solar panels in a ground array, for aesthetic reasons, but at this meeting, we approved the installation of additional photovoltaic (solar) panels on the roofs of the hillside buildings. Starwood is installing similar panels at several locations on its side of the resort. An outside company is providing the cells and installation, and will maintain them, and we will pay it 35 cents per kilowatt hour for the electricity we purchase. Although our new solar panels will account for only 10% of the total amount of electricity to be generated by the project (with the hotel side producing the other 90%), we will receive approximately 18% (based on our current proportionate consumption rate) of the energy that is produced, which results in about a 2.4% cost savings by not purchasing that power from the power company.

The photovoltaic cells that already exist on buildings 41 through 44 and those that will be added to the hillside buildings will not come close to meeting our need for energy. We are continuing to study the desirability of purchasing a co-generation facility to meet most of our needs. One factor for us to consider is that the local utility on St. Thomas is converting its fuel source from diesel fuel to propane, and it expects that the conversion will reduce fuel costs by about 30%. To the extent that this saving is passed along to customers (and not offset by rate increases to cover the cost of conversion), this step could decrease the difference between the cost of electricity purchased from the utility and electricity that the co-generation facility would produce, with the result that it would take longer than the estimated seven years for the co-generation facility to pay for itself. Another factor for us to take into account is the siting of the co-generation facility. As we reported after the annual meeting in March, two sites are under consideration: one on the hotel side of the property, and one in the yard behind buildings 43 and 44. From our perspective as your elected directors, the former would be preferable, but we we will not support the project unless we are convinced that occupants of those buildings will not hear noise from the equipment. A possible advantage of locating the facility on the hotel side of the property is that it will generate waste heat, which could in principle be harvested for the hotel laundry and for some of its heating and air conditioning. However, Starwood would have to invest in the infastructure in order to use the heat. We have asked Starwood to consider whether it is interested in using the heat. No decision on purchasing the co-generation equipment will be made before our next meeting in November.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ-VGV Prop Tax Update

prepare yourself...
{some StJ villa owners are screaming mad with a 10x increase in Property tax - not WSJ-VGV - tax rates were at 1999 level - that's right.... 1999}
but I will hold on until I see mine...

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2014/09/08/whats-your-property-tax-rate/

update: I went into the USVI Property Tax search database as sometimes our tax bills take weeks to get to us. Ours has gone up by 33% ($118.50 to $156.18 per week).

FYI
The USVI timeshare tax rate has increased from 1.25 to 1.41%.
For our WSJ-VGV timeshare (2Bd TH, weeks 23-24) - the overall assessment has changed over the years. Since we bought... it used to be $5500 land, and $11800 'improved assessed value' (total $17300 @1.25%), then it became all 'improved assessed value' of $15800 (@1.25%), then it dropped to $11100 last year (@1.25%) and in 2013 it remains at $11100 (@1.41%).

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
update: I went into the USVI Property Tax search database as sometimes our tax bills take weeks to get to us. Ours has gone up by 33% ($118.50 to $156.18 per week).

Our property taxes went up by about 32% ($225.75 to $296.88 per week).

The USVI timeshare tax rate has increased from 1.25 to 1.41%.

Not quite -- the prior rate was technically 1.25% of 60% of assessed value (equivalent to 0.75% of assessed value). The new rates are a straight 1.41% for timeshares, which is an 88% increase. However, this coincided with a reduction in the assessed value. Your assessed value was probably $15,800 through 2012, resulting in a $118.50 tax liability. For 2013, your assessed value is now $11,100, resulting in a $156.51 tax liability.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Our property taxes went up by about 32% ($225.75 to $296.88 per week).

Not quite -- the prior rate was technically 1.25% of 60% of assessed value (equivalent to 0.75% of assessed value). The new rates are a straight 1.41% for timeshares, which is an 88% increase. However, this coincided with a reduction in the assessed value. Your assessed value was probably $15,800 through 2012, resulting in a $118.50 tax liability. For 2013, your assessed value is now $11,100, resulting in a $156.51 tax liability.

Thanks for the clarification - I was wondering why the math wasn't working out for the earlier years.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Virgin Grand Villas - 2013 USVI Property Tax - Update from SVO

Dear Virgin Grand Villas Owner,

The Office of the Tax Assessor of the United States Virgin Islands has announced that the 2013 property tax bills are being issued to all property owners of record as of January 1, 2014. The tax bills are due October 6, 2014. Payments received by the due date receive a 5% discount. Property owners are encouraged to pay the 2013 tax bill by December 6, 2014, in order to avoid late payment fees.

SVO Management, Inc. (SVOM) has not yet received the 2013 tax bills, however, the Office of the Tax Assessor has posted them online. Please follow the steps below to submit your payment by October 6 for the 5% discount. To locate your information online, you must have an established Parcel Number or your loan must have been paid in full as of January 1, 2014. Please be aware that payment of taxes online is not available.

Search the Property Tax database using your name and Parcel Number.
Select the 2013 Tax Year to view the amount of tax due and print the detail page.
Choose one of the following payment methods:

Payment by Check:
Make your check payable to the Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
Write the Parcel Number on your check.
Payment by Credit Card:
Print and complete the USVI Credit Card Authorization Form in its entirety.
Write the Parcel Number in the “Apply Amount to” section of the form.
Provide a copy of the cardholder’s passport or driver’s license .

Include a copy of the detail page for the Parcel that shows the tax amount due.

Request a paid receipt and include a stamped self-addressed return envelope. Please be sure to retain your paid receipt for future reference.

Send your check or credit card authorization form, via certified or registered mail with return receipt requested, to:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
Property Tax Collection Division
P.O. Box 447
Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands, 00831

We anticipate receipt of the tax bills this week and will begin mailing to Starwood Vacation Owners shortly thereafter. If you choose to pay your tax bill using one of the methods described above, please retain the tax bill you receive from SVOM for your records.

SVOM is happy to assist you with any questions you may have on this matter, however, please understand that SVOM does not have the ability to adjust your tax bill. Furthermore, contacting SVOM will not preserve your protest rights with the Office of the Tax Assessor. The deadline for filing appeals with the Board of Tax Review regarding tax assessments is December 23, 2014. Please click here to access appeal forms and information regarding the tax appeal process.

Sincerely,
SVO Management

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
St. Johnopoly... WHAT?!

Now for something completely different...
I can't wait to get mine - soon come.
(and I can't believe these guys actually pulled it off - from an idea over a few drinks in Cruz Bay to reality - amazing...)

http://stjohnopoly.com

TOO MUCH FUN!!!
game-box-top_zps208a3fe1.jpg

board-slider_zpse48e75a9.jpg

(I think this answers the question of what is the best island resort in SVN... suck it WLR, HRA, WKORV/N and WPORV... ;))

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Thanks David. There goes sixty bucks.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks David. There goes sixty bucks.

Good to see someone else excited other than me. I pre-ordered months ago - with free shipping (helps to follow all things StJ... saved $15)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Mine is as follows:
Amount Billed: 175.88
Amount Due: 169.17
Last Year: $134.25

Not sure why my week (32) is more than David's June week.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
How does one pay their WSJ-VGV real estate taxes and claim the early payment discount? Simply deduct 5% from the property tax amount and send a check for that amount?

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Don't count on that

How does one pay their WSJ-VGV real estate taxes and claim the early payment discount? Simply deduct 5% from the property tax amount and send a check for that amount?

Don't count on that. We sent our property tax payment in by mail last year, in time to arrive about a week before the discount deadline. As near as we can tell, the tax office never picked up the mail...until after the deadline. This caused us to lose our discount.

This year (we are here now at a rental villa in town) I walked the tax bill over to the office yesterday. Lo and behold, I was charged about $3 less that the tax bill said we had to pay. Not sure what is happenng here. Could it be last year's lost discount finding its way back to us? Or is there a discount for payng in person?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Don't count on that. We sent our property tax payment in by mail last year, in time to arrive about a week before the discount deadline. As near as we can tell, the tax office never picked up the mail...until after the deadline. This caused us to lose our discount.

This year (we are here now at a rental villa in town) I walked the tax bill over to the office yesterday. Lo and behold, I was charged about $3 less that the tax bill said we had to pay. Not sure what is happenng here. Could it be last year's lost discount finding its way back to us? Or is there a discount for payng in person?
I guess what I'm confused about is whether the billed amount is inclusive of the supposed discount, or if 5% would be deducted from that. I can't find any guidance on how to claim the discount properly.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My discount shows up as a reduction (credit) in my next year's bill - it has for every year. This year my tax bill was credited ~$6 per week from last year's payment. I would not advise trying to calculate the discount - if it shows, it will be on next year's bill. I would not confuse the situation by trying to apply the discount now - it may not be worth the headache later.
{you have been to the USVI, right? ;)}

I just sent mine yesterday (9/29) as I was at WKORV last week. Deadline for discount is Oct 6 - it will be close knowing how slow mail gets to StJ.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I just sent mine yesterday (9/29) as I was at WKORV last week. Deadline for discount is Oct 6 - it will be close knowing how slow mail gets to StJ.

Thanks. I received my property tax bill and saw the fine print with the discounted amount. I will mail it tomorrow with a return receipt, as USPS is showing an arrival of October 3.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Some Notes re WSJ

We are staying in our Virgin Grand villa this week, and I have some notes that may be of interest:

1. FreeCycle is useless. There is nothing there of any utility other than a full bag of charcoal briquettes...not much help, as all WSJ grills are gas grills (I think). But if you are going out to Little Lameshur, there are some grills there when you could use the briquettes.

2. FreeCycle (again). They have indeed put a unit-key activated lock on the door, but the door is never locked! So if locals were taking items from the freecycle before, as some have said, there is nothing there yet to stop them.

3. Sam & Jack's Deli is now Samantha & Eric's...and has been for about a year. Has this affected quality? Not sure, but I went there in early afternoon to pick up a meal of spaghetti and meatballs, which their web page said was in stock, only to find no such thing. I had to settle for for some sort of yuppy-foofoo stir fry...which wasn't terrible, but I would not seek it out again.

4. The automatic gate to the Virgin Grand villas is (mostly) working. One peculiarity though, it that if you are exiting behind another vehicle, the gate will/may close on you before you can get through. Then it gets stubborn: You must back up almost to the pool villas and start over again to get the gate to open. I'm guessing this is something that may get fixed, but it ain't fixed yet.

5. The Scotia Bank next to the Starfish Market has closed. Their ATMs are still active, though, but I wish they were not...as they charged me $5 for a withdrawal (almost $3 more than Scotia charges me in Cancun). Your only alternative for a bank ATM at the moment is the First Bank in town. I do not know what their ATM fee is. (Bank ATMs are usually cheaper that other ATMs, if that is of concern to you.)

6. If you will be staying in unit 4214 or 4215, you will have a rather barren stroll into your villa. Most of the plants along the way have died and been torn out...apparently some time ago by the looks of the soil. Perhaps this was due to the pathetic dribble/semi-spray that now comes out of the sprinklers.

7. As to other gardening issues, there are places where new sod squares have been laid atop unprepared ground. Needless to say, this has not worked well. What's left now is a splotch of rather brown grass. Seems like not all of our maintenance fees are being applied with common sense. (In fairness, there are areas where the sodding was done properly. The brown ones may simply have been laid out of sight of the supervisor.)

8. I had intended to inquire about the above issues at the Virgin Grand owners meeting that proceeds the VG cocktail half-hour, but those meetings seem no longer to exist. It's a shame. The last one I attended was quite informative.

9. And If you are a VG owner and get an invitation to the VG cocktail half-hour, be sure to verify that it has not been canceled. I attended Monday, as I had been instructed, and there was no one there.

10. If you will be arriving in the near or relatively near future, you will find the normal lobby under construction...with the personnel moved down the hill to where a store used to be, just before you get to where the deli used to be. The good news here is that this temporary lobby is air conditioned, so you will have a cooler check-in.

11. When you pick up your welcoming package from the concierge (Karen was our very helpful lady), one of the most useful things you will get is a little white card that gets you a 15% discount at the St John Market...now refurbished, enlarged, and named the St John Gourmet Market...just off the Virgin Grand grounds.

12. For dining, something new has been added in town within the past year that you may wish to try: De' Coal Pot. Norma is the chef, Kim is the waitress, the food is Caribbean and quite tasty, the dining area is air-conditioned, and the prices are a touch less than in most other establishments in town. Ox-Tail soup, curried goat, and conch are three dished that have consistently received good reviews on TripAdvisor. Oh, and the fish is good too. And be sure to try the sweet potto stuffing.

13. Another good, new spot, especially for breakfast, is the Cruz Bay Landing.

14. If you can find Cruzan's (pronounced Cru-shun's) Estate Diamond Dark Rum (5 year), you may want to give it a try. It's one of the nicest sipping rums I have encountered. Cruzan hadn't made it for some time, but renewed production about a year ago. I found it at the Dolphin Market for about $17 (manufacturer's suggested price is $21, but you will have trouble finding it at that price in the U.S.).

15. If you want a beach chair, the cheapest rental I could find was $35 for a rather flimsy, close-to-the-ground chair. For a better deal, I think, you can buy a more solid chair (with shoulder straps for carrying) at the hardware store behind/above the Starfish market. Price: $50.

16. I took the Lind Point trail (roughly a mile) out to Salomon Bay for snorkeling last week. This is something I will do again when next on St J. Lovely Bay, nice snorkeling, nice sand, and no one else there...though one local showed up later. Tip: Parking is hard to find near the start of the trail. Try stopping by the National Park Visitors Center that faces Mango Junction. I understand that you can get a parking pass from them that will let you park in unused ranger spaces for free, if they have spaces available. You will need to surrender your driving license until you return. Tip #2: once at Salomon Bay, you will find the best snorkeling alongside the points at either end of the bay. The corals are a bit different in the two spots, as are the fish. I saw more and larger fish along the point to the left as you face the ocean.

17. If you are inclined to drive to Little Lameshur Bay (I recommend it), be sure to have 4WD and have the place you rent from show you how to use it. And be sure to check that you are permitted to drive on this "off-road" stretch. It used to be that some car rental companies prohibited this. But ours (Courtesy Car Rental) said that that prohibition was now removed...at least for their vehicles. Little Lameshur does have picnic tables (2 or 3), grills, and a toilet, but no other facilities. Every time I have driven to Little Lameshur, I have seen one or two deer on the way in. This time one of them was a nice, but smaller than at home, 8-point buck.

18. And be sure to stop at The Tourist Trap on the way back for a snack and refreshment. It doesn't look like much, but the food & drinks are excellent (check it out on TripAdvisor). If you do stop, make sure to try their pulled pork nachos. You will be glad you did. Our 4 guests could not decide which of their painkiller, boom-boom, or "Drink Right, Drive Left" concoctions was the best. They all raved about the nachos. And enjoyed their tacos & fish sandwiches.

19. On another trip to Coral Bay, Skinny Legs is worth a stop...if a good hamburger is to your taste. The change in ownership a while back does not seem to have hurt their quality.

I hope you enjoy St John as much as we have,

--Bob Park

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tax bill?

I recently bought. I haven't received one. Should I look for it somewhere? I don't want to get in trouble for not paying it.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I recently bought. I haven't received one. Should I look for it somewhere? I don't want to get in trouble for not paying it.
If it had been transferred to your name and updated in Starwood's records prior to the tax bills being issued, I would think you would have received it by now. It's possible it went to the prior owners instead.

Here are the instructions from SVO for paying your tax bill:

1. Click here to search the Property Tax database using your name and Parcel Number.
  2. Select the 2013 Tax Year to view the amount of tax due and print the detail page.
  3. Choose one of the following payment methods:

Payment by Check:
    • Make your check payable to the Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
    • Write the Parcel Number on your check.
    Payment by Credit Card:
    • Print and complete the USVI Credit Card Authorization Form in its entirety.
    • Write the Parcel Number in the “Apply Amount to” section of the form.
    • Provide a copy of the cardholder’s passport or driver’s license .
  4. Include a copy of the detail page for the Parcel that shows the tax amount due.
  5. Request a paid receipt and include a stamped self-addressed return envelope. Please be sure to retain your paid receipt for future reference.
  6. Send your check or credit card authorization form, via certified or registered mail with return receipt requested, to:

Office of the Lieutenant Governor
    Property Tax Collection Division
    P.O. Box 447
    Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands, 00831

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
TS Gonzalo is heading over USVI - Noon (Oct13)

Now upgraded to a hurricane.

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ Sales folks say there will be no upstairs walls installed in 41xx or 42xx.

The WSJ sales folks told us that no walls wll be installed in units 41xx or 42xx, as a 100% favorable vote was needed for the entire complex...and it was not received.

I had thought the criterion was to be 100% for any individual unit. Guess I had this wrong.

--bp

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The WSJ sales folks told us that no walls wll be installed in units 41xx or 42xx, as a 100% favorable vote was needed for the entire complex...and it was not received.

I had thought the criterion was to be 100% for any individual unit. Guess I had this wrong.

--bp

To my understanding - Sales is incorrect. It was 100% for individual villa, but not all votes were cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.