• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to buy SDO...

MaeMae

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy something cheap and will stay here maybe every other year but mainly trade. What do you guys think about this?

Here is your chance to own a Deeded Timeshare Ownership (Does Not Expire) at a bargain price. This is a One Suite with One Bathroom (Deeded as Unit 3062/Week 49; Sleeps 4) with Floating Gold Plus Weeks 1-52 (allows you to travel for any one of the aforementioned weeks on a reservation basis; Fri/Sat/Sun - Check In/Out) at the Sheraton Desert Oasis, an RCI Gold Crown Resort and an II (Interval International) Premier Resort located in Scottsdale, Arizona. All fees are current with mortgage paid in full; you will receive clear title guaranteed! Usage is ANNUAL and begins in 2015. Maintenance fees are billed annually in the amount of $650. The 2014 maintenance fees have been paid in full. The new owner will be responsible for these maintenance fees beginning in 2015. Own at this resort now at a fraction of the developer price.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This appears to be a small one bedroom - what is the price?

Since you plan to use it, you definitely want a Lg. 1 bdm., or a 2 bdm. At this resort, the 2 bdm. is a bargain because the MF for the 2 bdm. is less than the MF for the small 1 bdm. + Lg. 1 bdm.

Where do you want to go with trades with this resort?

SMALL one bedroom: $651

floorplan_1br.gif

LARGE one bedroom: $762

floorplan_1brprem.gif

2 Bdm. Lock-off: $1,108

FP-SDO-2-BDRM-LO-VILLA.gif

MaeMae

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trips to Hawaii and a few trips to Florida, Boston and Canada... Thanks for the quick response!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
SDO is a good II trader for other Starwood resorts, because of the Starwood to Starwood preference in II. But outside of Starwood, it's only an average trader. I wouldn't buy it unless you want to use it for Starwood trades, and Starwood has nothing in Canada or Boston.

Also - If you want to use it to trade into the Hawaii resorts, you have to be very flexible about when you go. Starwood does not deposit school holidays, or high season dates in II. The most likely time to get a trade is in the fall.

$650 per year is the maintenance fee - what is the selling price?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
With SDO a better option might be an EOY 2 br unit. The MF's would actually be slightly lower (closer to $600 per year) and you would have the option of using the larger half and then depositing the smaller half exchange on the off year or during anytime during the Interval exchange period. Also if you every needed the power of a 2 br to start an ongoing search for a 2 br you would have that option too. The initial purchase price might be slightly higher but you can usually find one for $200-$1000 or maybe slightly more with a use year (MF's already paid) included.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is that they copied and pasted their Ad from a previous Ad, and one Ad was for the Lg. one bdm., and one for the Sm. one bdm., and the info. got mixed - happens a lot.

s1b000

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to get a copy of the estoppel or resale info sheet before you bid so you can be sure which unit you're getting and what the financial status is. Sellers are often wrong...I got one of the premium one bedrooms last year and the seller insisted that it was the smaller unit. They also didn't realize that the 2013 usage would transfer to me so I got that as a free benefit.:whoopee: Traded that for a 2 bedroom at Four Seasons Aviara so I made out like a bandit.

One other comment, the ebay sellers are all using old photos. This resort was totally renovated last year and looks so much better than the pictures indicate. You can look at current pics on the Starwood site.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
So I've been waiting for a lock off and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141383965363

Is this a better deal?

I was just looking at that one myself… I have an ongoing search going on Ebay for this resort for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath lock off, Odd or Even Years Red floating week (weeks 1-52). At first I was going to purchase a DLX 1 bedroom but after doing a great deal of research, a two bedroom-biannual will fit my needs more closely…

I hope to get one of these soon at a decent price….

Good Luck to us both and I would say this is a better bargain, but this was after I did an extensive spreadsheet analysis.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
So I've been waiting for a lock off and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141383965363

Is this a better deal?

I was just looking at that one myself… I have an ongoing search going on Ebay for this resort for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath lock off, Odd or Even Years Red floating week (weeks 1-52). At first I was going to purchase a DLX 1 bedroom but after doing a great deal of research, a two bedroom-biannual will fit my needs more closely…

I hope to get one of these soon at a decent price….

Good Luck to us both and I would say this is a better bargain, but this was after I did an extensive spreadsheet analysis.

This seller does not get good reviews here. I would do some searching on these forums and on google.

Some people have had good results with them and some have not.

On the - side

They don't accept credit cards

They use the "private auction" format

They use their own in-house closing company and this is your supposed escrow company. If you're talking real money keep in mind that they will have your money and you will have no recourse through a CC company if things go sour.

On the + side

Some people have had good experiences with them

If you both or either of you decide to go through with this auction I would suggest placing a snipe bid at the end or using a snipping service.

This will keep the emotion of an auction out of it and you can truly determine your highest price and place the bid without someone seeing it and upping the bid by the next increment.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This seller does not get good reviews here. I would do some searching on these forums and on google.

Some people have had good results with them and some have not.

On the - side

They don't accept credit cards

They use the "private auction" format

They use their own in-house closing company and this is your supposed escrow company. If you're talking real money keep in mind that they will have your money and you will have no recourse through a CC company if things go sour.

On the + side

Some people have had good experiences with them

If you both or either of you decide to go through with this auction I would suggest placing a snipe bid at the end or using a snipping service.

This will keep the emotion of an auction out of it and you can truly determine your highest price and place the bid without someone seeing it and upping the bid by the next increment.

I agree, this seller does not get good reviews here. My goal is to wait till I'm able to find the 2 bedroom bi-annual at the right price with a seller that has received good reviews here. I so appreciate everything I have learned here and as I have learned being patient is part of what is so important in purchasing the right TS at the right time and price.

I'm so grateful for this forum as it's really allowed me to really learn the ins and outs of TS (ing)

MaeMae

TUG Member
Reaction score
There used to be a lot of these out there. The inventory available to people looking to buy SDO primarily are low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There used to be a lot of these out there. The inventory available to people looking to buy SDO primarily are low.

With the recent apparent lack of availability of WKORV/N via II - this may change.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
There are really some great deals on the SDO 2 bedrooms. I appreciate the info above. For example the trading preference, that gives SDO it's good "value", is if trading to another Sheraton. I didn't know that. Great info. How would it trade to Marriott Timber Lodge in the summer for example? Marriott Newport? Possible?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are really some great deals on the SDO 2 bedrooms. I appreciate the info above. For example the trading preference, that gives SDO it's good "value", is if trading to another Sheraton. I didn't know that. Great info. How would it trade to Marriott Timber Lodge in the summer for example? Marriott Newport? Possible?

Clarification: The trading priority in II is Starwood to Starwood - not just Sheraton.

Remember that Marriott also has Marriott to Marriott trading priority in II, so a Starwood timeshare is only going to be a mediocre trader for Marriott, because it's not a Marriott timeshare.

The primary reason to buy a Starwood trader is to trade into other Starwood resorts.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Clarification: The trading priority in II is Starwood to Starwood - not just Sheraton.

Remember that Marriott also has Marriott to Marriott trading priority in II, so a Starwood timeshare is only going to be a mediocre trader for Marriott, because it's not a Marriott timeshare.

The primary reason to buy a Starwood trader is to trade into other Starwood resorts.

Thank you Denise. I always find your information useful. Thank you much. It's so cheap on Ebay it's hard to resist but not sure how often I'll go to a Starwood. So just another $1,200 a year I would be agreeing to spend! :)