• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Newport Coast Villas

ECKL

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Platinum week at Marriott Newport Coast Villas (NCV). I'm definitely not buying the unit as an investment property, but also do not want to see my purchase dwindle down to nothing. However, it may not affect my decision to purchase, I would like to know what to expect going into it so I'm surprised later. I have 5 questions if people are willing to answer:

1) Is anybody aware of any Special Assessments in the past for NCV?
2) Are Special Assessments included in Maintenance Fee statement or is that a separate bill?
3) How has the new point system affected the values for weekly owners?
4) It appears timeshare values continue to drop. Is that typical and is there a bottom to expect or do most timeshares always reduce to no resale value?
5) How has the new point system affected reservation availability for weekly owners?

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Hi ECKL, and welcome to TUG!

The info you're looking for will take some digging through compilation threads and links that are compiled annually through reports from Owners to TUG. 2014 MF's can be found in the sticky thread here; links to the previous years threads can be found in the FAQ - Marriott Vacation Club Weeks System sticky thread; scroll down to "Maintenance Fees." I'd guess that if any Special Assessments had been levied that info would have been shared by Owners as well.

Last edited:

ECKL

Reaction score
Hi ECKL, and welcome to TUG!

The info you're looking for will take some digging through compilation threads and links that are compiled annually through reports from Owners to TUG. 2014 MF's can be found in the sticky thread here; links to the previous years threads can be found in the FAQ - Marriott Vacation Club Weeks System sticky thread; scroll down to "Maintenance Fees." I'd guess that if any Special Assessments had been levied that info would have been shared by Owners as well.

Awesome. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
TUGgers, the historical MF data that this new poster wants isn't in some of the linked MF threads. I've gone back and don't see MF's for 2012 or 2011, haven't gone back further than that yet. Is there a chance that one of you NCV Owners has kept records and can help ECKL out here? Thanks!

ECKL

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Platinum week at Marriott Newport Coast Villas (NCV). I'm definitely not buying the unit as an investment property, but also do not want to see my purchase dwindle down to nothing. However, it may not affect my decision to purchase, I would like to know what to expect going into it so I'm surprised later. I have 5 questions if people are willing to answer:

1) Is anybody aware of any Special Assessments in the past for NCV?
2) Are Special Assessments included in Maintenance Fee statement or is that a separate bill?
3) How has the new point system affected the values for weekly owners?
4) It appears timeshare values continue to drop. Is that typical and is there a bottom to expect or do most timeshares always reduce to no resale value?
5) How has the new point system affected reservation availability for weekly owners?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Attached is the 2014 Budget for NCV. There seems to be a trifecta of associations there (Timeshare, Condominium, Master) so I am not sure how all that gets factered in to the MF's, but at least this document shows you where the Fund Balances for the reserves sit, as well as what year the refurbs are targeted for....might help to ascertain if there might be any upcoming special assessments.

Attachments

• NCV 2014 Budget.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 28

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
2009 MFs - $1002.03
2010 - $1045..06
2011 - $1060.56
2012 - $1085.98
2013 - $1145.59
2014 - $1197.01

MFs above include property taxes which are charged separately

No special assessments since I've owned in 2009

NCV resale value has held fairly firm over the last few years. Ownership of NCV is very "liquid" meaning it's very easy to sell if selling for a reasonable price.

The challenge with NCV is getting a prime week if that is what you want. With so many units there are a lot of multi week owners who have a big advantage of single week owners. If you're a single and had your heart set on a July week there may be some years you don't get it.

That is why I personally wouldn't buy just one unit. First you'd get the 13 month reservation window advantage and secondly you'd have 2 summer weeks that rent very well on Redweek. You could rent 1 most years to cover 90% of both MF costs.

Last edited:

ECKL

Reaction score
Good information. So I'm assuming then that a single week owner is only allowed to make a reservation 12 months in advance?

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good information. So I'm assuming then that a single week owner is only allowed to make a reservation 12 months in advance?

Yes, that is correct. It's worth noting that you don't have to have 2 weeks at the same resort to book 13 months out, you can own any two resorts and book them back to back at 13 months. We know some people who have specifically bought a low MF/low cost Marriott to help them get the prime week they want at their 'main' resort. I'm not saying this is a good idea or something that will work for you...just letting you know how things work.

Last edited:

ECKL

Reaction score
So in your opinion, do timeshares typically hit a resale value bottom or does it fluctuate like the housing market? Again, I'm not looking at this purchase to make money but I also don't want to throw money either.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
So in your opinion, do timeshares typically hit a resale value bottom or does it fluctuate like the housing market? Again, I'm not looking at this purchase to make money but I also don't want to throw money either.

Prices will fluctuate with the economy (the bargains of the last few years are harder to come by now) but while timeshares go down in value like houses do they don't go up in the same way.

The safest way to look at it is this: Don't expect to get your money back if you sell. Expect to make a loss. You may not make a loss but you probably will (there are a few on this BBS that have turned a profit on their timeshare dealings but they're the outliers in the timeshare game IMO). If you can live with that then go ahead and buy. If not then then perhaps it isn't quite right for you.

ECKL

Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. It's worth noting that you don't have to have 2 weeks at the same resort to book 13 months out, you can own any two resorts and book them back to back at 13 months. We know some people who have specifically bought a low MF/low cost Marriott to help them get the prime week they want at their 'main' resort. I'm not saying this is a good idea or something that will work for you...just letting you know how things work.

What if I owned an annual wwek at NCV and owned a bi-annual week in Vegas. Can I book anywhere even through the Exchange 13 montha in advanced?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott platinum weeks resale price at a resort like NCV are much less likely to bottom out than a no name resort. Even off-season Marriott weeks at second tier locations still have some value.

I really wouldn't worry about that with a plat NCV.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What if I owned an annual wwek at NCV and owned a bi-annual week in Vegas. Can I book anywhere even through the Exchange 13 montha in advanced?

No just your resorts and just in the year you own two weeks.

ECKL

Reaction score
I just bought a 1 week one platinum at NCV. Does anybody know if we get discounts to the Pelican Hill Golf Course?

Bill4728

Reaction score
Congrats

we love our two weeks at NCV ( we have gold)

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
The only way you get a discount is if you sit through a timeshare presentation. A voucher is usually one of the options to choose from as well as an American express card or 30k MR points. The property itself does not have any discounts to play golf at pelican hill

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ECKL

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I bought it outside the Marriott system...much better deals. Send me a private message if you want more information. Thanks again for the help.

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Been an owner in both seasons since 2004 and no special assessments that I can recall. Generally, absent developer subsidies in the early years, it seems like MF's are increasing in the 4-5% range per annum.

You missed the bottom of the NCV market IMO, at least for platinum. The ROFR database is showing support in the 8K range now. A couple years ago, plat was going in the 6.5-7.5 range with no ROFR.

Since you're buying/have bought to use, numbers are probably superfluous, outside of your ongoing costs. I doubt they'll be building any more timeshares in that particular area in the near future and it is a popular vacation destination so I'd expect resale values to remain stable over the long term. Tenants, in general, have reported the units in good condition and overall positive vacation experiences.

Oh, I did receive a letter from the Orange County Tax Collector/Assessor that they're reducing the assessed value of my units temporarily to a rate which IIRC was about 60% of the previous assessed value. IIRC, I'm around 200 per year for plat, on average. Gold is a little less. So maybe you'll pay a bit less in taxes this year, and maybe into the future. Buys groceries.

Good luck with your purchase.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've owned NCV Gold for several years. I have found their MF increases to be relatively fair over the years compared to some others I own. Here are my records (excuse the format). Property taxes vary by when purchased due to proposition 13.

Main Fees Reserve Total Fees% Increase Prop Tax Total
2005 71.13
2006 $589.05 $115.00 $704.05 142.26 $846.31
2007 $620.92 $125.00 $745.92 5.9% 144.86 $890.78
2008 $649.89 $132.50 $782.39 4.9% $146.10 $928.49
2009 $678.95 $142.54 $821.49 5.0% 149.17 $970.66
2010 $704.80 $156.92 $861.72 4.9% 150.91 $1,012.63
2011 $714.54 $163.20 $877.74 1.9% 151.35 $1,028.65
2012 $704.48 $197.34 $901.82 2.7% 151.56 $1,053.17
2013 $757.85 $203.26 $961.11 6.6% 153.41 $1,112.67
2014 $795.59 $211.48 $1,007.07 4.8% 155.58 $1,160.48