• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

KoOlina Concert

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any tuggers are staying at the KoOlina Marriott TS Friday and Sat. During the Japanese boys concert. Sounds like it will be a very crowded, noisy and dusty site. I've read they think they'll have 15000 people per concert. Can't imagine 15000 people on the property between the Beach Villas and the TS.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It will be crazy. Modified exit from the resort through the access road. No shuttle service available from 12:30 pm till 11:00 pm. Longboards will not have hawaiian music for friday and saturday. Limited access on the pathways between lagoon 3 and lagoon 2 as there will be fireworks at the end of each concert.

It will be loud. Was at naia pool yesterday and they were doing sound checks for a few hours. It was loud and you could here the voice bounce off of naia tower.

Also lots of japanese tourists staying at mko and aulani. From what I understand most of the island is sold out for this weekend. Definitely sold out at marriott, aulani and ihilani.

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Will be fun to have some excitement there. Would have been a great week to rent your unit for premium dollars I bet!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Will be fun to have some excitement there. Would have been a great week to rent your unit for premium dollars I bet!

Now that's funny - my husband and I were just saying that we'd be horrified if we unwittingly booked our resort for this week, only to show up and find it swamped with boy band fans!

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that's funny - my husband and I were just saying that we'd be horrified if we unwittingly booked our resort for this week, only to show up and find it swamped with boy band fans!

I agree with Denise! Not my idea of paradise!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Is this a one-time event, or going to be annual?

So far it is only a one time event. Although the amount of money and taxes this concert is generating there is talk of trying to get a group here every other year.
Originally this was supposed to be held in waikiki. About 45 days ago the venue was changed to koolina. That is what info i got from koolina letter to guests.

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's just crazy. I'd not want to be at Mko right now!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So far it is only a one time event. Although the amount of money and taxes this concert is generating there is talk of trying to get a group here every other year.

Originally this was supposed to be held in waikiki. About 45 days ago the venue was changed to koolina. That is what info i got from koolina letter to guests.

Sounds like it was too big for the lawn at HHV. We had fun watching a crazy Japanese show there, and a filming of 5-0.

The stage is as big as a football field.

3ysureda.jpg

Last edited:

jsfletch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank: thx for the pic of the sound stage. Looks like it backs up against the Beach Villas so the sound will be partially directed at the TS. Wonder if some in the TS will have a great view of the concert. Still can't imagine 15000 people in this venue. I've heard they can't bring seats and will be provided with a seat cushion. The dust has got to be overwhelming. Glad I'm not there right now.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I found this map on the web. Still have a hard time imagine 15K people on that little strip of land between MKO and Beach Club Villas. Glad that I am not there...

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
On the one hand I'd be thinking like some of you that this would be a PIA if we were looking for peace and quiet and didn't know about this before booking, but on the other it would be kind of cool to be there for a one-off event.

What I can't figure out is how old these "boys" are because I'm reading that this "boy band" assembled on a cruise 15 years ago! 15 years is a long time in teeny-bopper years!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think "Boy Band" describes a genre, rather then the age of the band members.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think "Boy Band" describes a genre, rather then the age of the band members.

I was thinking that most of the bands in the genre have a short shelf-life but this one must be as popular as NKOTB or NSYNC, probably?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking that most of the bands in the genre have a short shelf-life but this one must be as popular as NKOTB or NSYNC, probably?

I have no idea - aren't they a Japanese band?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have no idea - aren't they a Japanese band?

YouTube - JPop Top

Yeah, and you can definitely see some NKOTB- and NYSYN-like influence. I can see why the teeny-boppers love them; my 20-something daughter would probably love them!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What I can't figure out is how old these "boys" are because I'm reading that this "boy band" assembled on a cruise 15 years ago! 15 years is a long time in teeny-bopper years!

This is their 15th anniversary concert. They are in their early 30s. See here for references.

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Crowded parking, traffic problems, restricted areas, loud music, 15,000 excited fans.......
so glad I'm not there!!

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
Arashi Pic

Picture of the Arashi concert from the Kona Tower MKO tonight. TV news said there were over 15,000 there.

Attachments

• arashi night.jpg
    arashi night.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94

Johnsp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe, Marriott, Worldmark
Arashi Pic

Picture before sundown.

Attachments

• Arashi Day.jpg
    Arashi Day.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter lives a few miles from the Marriott Ko Olina. We (and she) have been there many times. She shared that this has been a total nightmare for the Marriott guests and folks in the neighborhood, and that they are complaining loudly. Who can blame them? Check out the news link below. I, too, would be irate if I had used my yearly timeshare interest, paid for airfare, etc., only to be assaulted by the noise and crowds when I arrived for my vacation! :mad:

Check out the news link below.

Hotel guests complain about Arashi Concert:

http://www.kitv.com/news/hotel-guests-complain-about-arashi-concert/28164628

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Seems like a good summary as to the why and why it's not all bad:

Tourism officials expect up to $25 million in visitor spending and a half-a-million dollars was spent to make this event happen, which was originally planned five years ago.

“There’s 100,000 people that purchased theater tickets to watch the concert back in Japan,” said Mike McCartney of the Hawaii Tourism Authority. “That’s just to give you an example of the band’s exposure in Japan.”

For resort area businesses like the Pizza Corner, the added crowds means a lot of dough.

“This event means we get to double, or even triple, our revenue,” said executive chef Jerome LaSorba, “and we get to promote our world-famous poke pizza.”

marileehaire

TUG Member
Reaction score

Tourism officials expect up to $25 million in visitor spending and a half-a-million dollars was spent to make this event happen, which was originally planned five years ago.

“There’s 100,000 people that purchased theater tickets to watch the concert back in Japan,” said Mike McCartney of the Hawaii Tourism Authority. “That’s just to give you an example of the band’s exposure in Japan.”

For resort area businesses like the Pizza Corner, the added crowds means a lot of dough.

“This event means we get to double, or even triple, our revenue,” said executive chef Jerome LaSorba, “and we get to promote our world-famous poke pizza.”

But couldn't this event have been held in the Waikiki area that is already a zoo?? They brought boatloads of concert-goers in by bus from the Honolulu/Waikiki area. It just seems a shame to destroy the quiet that is the Ko Olina area for an event like this. I know that I'd be upset if I'd saved and planned for a week of vacation, only to have it ruined by an event such as
this--not only the 2 nights of concert itself, but the set-up, sound checks, and tear down. Just saying. . .

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

... I know that I'd be upset if I'd saved and planned for a week of vacation, only to have it ruined by an event such as
this--not only the 2 nights of concert itself, but the set-up, sound checks, and tear down. Just saying. . .

If this event had this much lead time in it's planning I would think that anyone wanting to visit the area could have and should have been able to find out about it and plan accordingly.

It's very important to look into events being planned in you vaca destination to either follow them or avoid them.