• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help making mind up to buy from developer or a resale

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
FYI, this MAY not be true anymore. If you look at MSC, it indicates that this benefit is available to all SVN members. There is no language that I can see that exempts resale owners. Of course, this hasn't been tested IRL. I would, but I fear it would mess up my WSJ reservation.
IIRC, MSC has had that misleading language for years.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
FYI, this MAY not be true anymore. If you look at MSC, it indicates that this benefit is available to all SVN members. There is no language that I can see that exempts resale owners. Of course, this hasn't been tested IRL. I would, but I fear it would mess up my WSJ reservation.

Only developer or requalified TS's can be converted to Starpoints.

undrpar64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing to take into consideration when purchasing wkorv or wkorvn are the maintenance fees. No matter which view you purchase MFs are the same. Island View has the same MF as Ocean Front. When renting, the view sets the price window. You will be able to increase the rental price by the quality of the view(island, ocean view, ocean front). Ocean front will always command a higher rate than the other two views.

As for your purchase at $11,000, in my opinion that may not pass ROFR. On September 3, I had an OF EOY ROFR at $10500. I have also done business with Karl and would recommend him.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So am I wrong to buy a 2 bdrm lock off eoy in Maui north for 11,000. I figure it will take me 5 trips ie 10 years to break even if we assume I take two trips a year. One in one bdrm and one in a studio as most one bdrm villas rent for 4000 a week and studio for 2000 a week if you go to westin website? Also have u ever rented out your unit in mau?, if so for how much?

Thx

First of all, the resale price and rental rates completely depend on the VIEW - timeshares at this resort have deeded views. The price of an Ocean Front unit will be 3 - 5 times as much as an Island View Unit. But, as stated above, you still pay the same (high) maintenance fee and taxes for an Island View unit.

There really isn't much point in buying an Island View unit - if you aren't getting a guaranteed view, you might as well exchange in with a II trader for a fraction of the cost.

Your rental prices are not realistic - timeshares owners cannot rent their timeshares for the same price that the resort gets.

Private rental prices (2 bdm. - 1 bdm. - Studio):

Ocean Front: $4,200 - $2,400 - $1,800

Ocean View: $3,700 - $2,100 - $1,600

Island View: $3,400 - $2,000 - $1,400

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
So am I wrong to buy a 2 bdrm lock off eoy in Maui north for 11,000. I figure it will take me 5 trips ie 10 years to break even if we assume I take two trips a year. One in one bdrm and one in a studio as most one bdrm villas rent for 4000 a week and studio for 2000 a week if you go to westin website? Also have u ever rented out your unit in mau?, if so for how much?

Thx

The Westin website is not a good indicator of owner rentals. No owner is getting $6000 per week rental on their 2BR unit...

I've only rented to family or friends when I have a unit left I'm not going to use, and then for only a bit over my costs, so I'm not a good example...

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider: FYI, the south side (WKORV) sold deeded 1 bdrms. If you want to go every year, and preserve your view, that may be an option, though it appears that many (if not all?) were the deluxe units, which are bigger than the standard 1 bdrms, and have higher MFs ($1700 + SVN fee).

I think only the corner 2BR were the deluxe units. The dedicated 1BR units were halfway down the wing...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - the dedicated one bedrooms are mid-building 2 & 3.

The one bedroom is a terrible deal - the maintenance fee is disproportionately high. That also kills the resale value.

WKORV: 2014

2 bdm. - $2,152 + SVN Fee: $139

1 bdm. - $1,791 + SVN Fee: $139

In other words, for just $359 more per year, you can have a 2 bdm.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
if we assume I take two trips a year. One in one bdrm and one in a studio

How are you planning on two trips a year with an every-other-year ownership?

Best case would be one trip a year, alternating between the 1BR in your owned view (booked at 12-8 months out), and then banking the StarOptions for the studio to use in your non-use years in a floating view (booked no earlier than at 8 months out)

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
That is what I am planning. A one bdrm on our use year and them a studio at another resort that year or banking the studio and using it the even year at a resort. Does that sound ok? Also which of ocean view buildings are good when booking?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what I am planning. A one bdrm on our use year and them a studio at another resort that year or banking the studio and using it the even year at a resort. Does that sound ok?

Above you said "2 trips a year" - which isn't doable with an EOY ownership. Be aware that when you roll the studio Staroptions over to the next year, you can make a Staroption reservation at 8 mos. before check-in at any resort where available, but when you convert to Staroptions, you have no designated view.

Also which of ocean view buildings are good when booking?

This resort has 2 phases: Which phase are you looking at?

Original: Buildings 2, 3, 4

North: Buildings 5, 6, 7, 8

When you make your reservation, they will permit you to request a building, and a high or low floor in the phase and view that you own - nothing more specific.

However, your request is not guaranteed, and the specific location will be assigned by the resort at check-in. They are very secretive about it, and they will not tell you where you will be placed, until check-in.

You can see resort maps and views by clicking on Owner Resources at the top of the page and scrolling down to Resort Maps.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what I am planning. A one bdrm on our use year and them a studio at another resort that year or banking the studio and using it the even year at a resort. Does that sound ok? Also which of ocean view buildings are good when booking?

Generally, you'll only get an ocean view if you own an ocean view unit and book between 12 and 8 months out during your use year, which is what it sounds like you're wanting to do in the odd years with the 1BR. Is the unit you're looking at deeded ocean view? If the listing contains the unit number, we can determine the actual deeded view from that.

And take "ocean view" with a grain of salt.

WKORV has much better or much worse actual ocean views -- the buildings are perpendicular to the ocean, so you're not actually facing that way, you're really facing sideways, the units closest to the water and/or higher up get better ocean views, while the units farther away or lower floors get partial ocean views/glimpses.

WKORVN has more average ocean views -- the buildings are angled to the ocean, so even the units farther back are getting a better partial ocean view.

Units are assigned based on a timestamp. Those booking earlier (ie during your use year at 12mos out) get the better units in general. There are other factors (multiple week owners, SVN Elite, etc) that come in to play to break any "ties". You are supposed to always get a unit within your view class (no upgrades) if you book during the 12-8mos out.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella

The one bedroom is a terrible deal - the maintenance fee is disproportionately high. That also kills the resale value.

I just assumed that at those MFs, these were for the 1 bdrm deluxe units, with more square footage. I can't believe that the MFs for a regular 1 bdrm are so high. What a rip-off.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just assumed that at those MFs, these were for the 1 bdrm deluxe units, with more square footage. I can't believe that the MFs for a regular 1 bdrm are so high. What a rip-off.

There are no Deluxe 1Bd at WKORV - only Premium.
I did a breakdown of MF per sqft at WKORV a while back.
The 1Bd is the worse, and the 2Bd OFC is best (because it has a lanai for the studio even though it is a Premium villa).

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

WKORV 2BR Deluxe - $2,926 + SVN Fee

WKORV/N 2BR - $2,386 + SVN Fee

Yup, no logic for how the 1BR and 2BR Deluxe MFs were priced...

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
Sorry two trips over two years. One on our use year. The other the even year. I am looking at a edded property at the north side. Building seven. Is there a preferred building when booking to ask for in terms of view?

Thx

undrpar64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure all building 7 views are either oceanview or island view. In that scenario $11,000 should be plenty to pass ROFR.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry two trips over two years. One on our use year. The other the even year. I am looking at a edded property at the north side. Building seven. Is there a preferred building when booking to ask for in terms of view?

Thx

Your deeded building and villa number is meaningless if you buy a floating unit. Your deeded VIEW is what is important. Starwood assigns villas based on time stamp, so the person who calls in earliest is assigned the highest floor closest to the ocean, in their deeded view class. The earlier you call, the better. Here is a photograph of the WKORV/N campus:

http://www.hawaiirevealed.com/free-...ali-area/westin-kaanapali-ocean-resort-villas

As far as building requests go, while WKORV may honor some non-traditional requests (ADA equipped room, ground floor), generally speaking, they do not accept special requests anymore because owners were either requesting buildings with view classes that they didn't own (e.g. OV and IV owners were requesting Building 8) or they were all requesting high floors close to the ocean (duh). So go ahead and request something if you like, but don't be terribly disappointed if it's not honored.

FYI, on the map above, buildings 5-8 are the north campus. Building 8 is exclusively ocean front. The first wing of building 5 is coded ocean front, with the ones further away being coded ocean view. Buildings 6 and 7 are mixed IV and OV.

The north facing villas of Building 7 (the non-interior facing villas) face an empty lot (the future 3rd phase of WKORV). If you value privacy, these villas will definitely give you the most privacy as there is very little foot traffic on that side of the building.

P.S. You realize that you won't get your guaranteed view in the off years, though this may work to your advantage if you buy an IV.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
As far as building requests go, while WKORV may honor some non-traditional requests (ADA equipped room, ground floor), generally speaking, they do not accept special requests anymore because owners were either requesting buildings with view classes that they didn't own (e.g. OV and IV owners were requesting Building 8) or they were all requesting high floors close to the ocean (duh). So go ahead and request something if you like, but don't be terribly disappointed if it's not honored.

I was checking in this past May and there was a man having a heated conversation with the clerk and manager, I can always tell they want a better room. I knew what to expect with my II exchange so I was pleasant and headed off to building 4 :)

The next day we were booking a road to Hana tour at the concierge desk in 4, in walks the same tool, interrupted our booking to complain there wasn't any shower gel in the room. He'd had a long flight the day before, got a lousy room, and hadn't showered yet. Concierge was very professional, sent him to the sundries shop to buy his own lol.

Some people set themselves up for a disappointment.

Lookingtobuy

Reaction score
Hi again. Denise or LisaRex. Anything I should request before I sign the offer sheet on Monday? To verify everything is ligit? Or just wait till the ten days waiting period is up and wait for the estoppel?

Thanks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a regular at a beach area resort in FL .... exchangers from both II and RCI came get this resort. When the person inbound requests an OCEANFRONT view, us owners just smile - one side of the building faces the ocean and only the lowest floors on that side have a poor view. The other side of the building faces the intercoastal waterway and higher up units, have a downtown skyscraper view.

We known the requesters for OCEANVIEW are not regulars ... almost none of us care what our view is AND if we request anything, it is HIGH and intercoastal. WHY? The sun rises over the ocean and it is too BRIGHT to sit and enjoy your AM coffee. Open the blackout drapes, it is too bright in the Living Room or bedroom.

Plus, all the evening centers of entertainment is located on the east side of the building ... there can be some sirens or musical noises.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi again. Denise or LisaRex. Anything I should request before I sign the offer sheet on Monday? To verify everything is ligit? Or just wait till the ten days waiting period is up and wait for the estoppel?

Thanks

If the first usage is in 2015, ask the former owner to make reservations for you, and put in the contract that you'd like to retain that week. We're getting kind of late in the year for booking 2015, and you lose your view if you don't get it booked within the 8-12 month window.

If you're using a broker, he'll do the legwork on verifying that it's legit and the correct view, etc. If you're not, then you'll have to do that on your own.

If you can use a major credit card for the closing, that is ideal, so that you can get consumer protection.