• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Multiple Selection Poll] Trending Usage of DC-Enrolled Weeks

How did/will you use your DC - Enrolled Weeks?

• 2010 - Elected DC Points

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 2011 - Elected DC Points

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • 2012 - Elected DC Points

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • 2013 - Elected DC Points

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • 2014 - Elected DC Points

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • 2015 - Have/Will probably elect DC Points

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • I will never elect DC Points!

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I do not own Enrolled Weeks but want to play in the poll anyway. :)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Other, because there is always an other.

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters

taffy19

Reaction score
Susan, would it be a good idea to do another poll and ask people to share how often they elected points for their week or weeks by year? Most owners should still be able to look it up in case they don't remember because they own so many weeks. ;)

Does the poll let you click many times? I believe that you cannot vote more than once but is it possible to fill in a number by each year and the poll can add up the total? Would it give us a trend where we are heading? Just an idea.

This poll wouldn't be for trust point owners.

Did you elect points in 2011 for your week or weeks?

Did you elect points in 2012 for your week or weeks?

Did you elect points in 2013 for your week or weeks?

Did you elect points in 2014 for your week or weeks?

Did you elect points in 2015 for your week or weeks?

Last edited by a moderator:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Good idea, Emmy!

Check as many as you want, and please feel free to flesh out your response by posting in the thread. If it matters, votes are not public.

Good to go!

Last edited:

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
I have used, banked and borrowed points every year since 2011. I converted Harbour Lake in 2011, both of my week in 2014 and OceanWatch in 2015. Since I only live 1.5 hours from Galloway, NJ I can easily go there for a night or two with the extra points.

I also have never locked off Harbour Lake until the start of the program. I felt that it wasn't worth all fees before to lock off and pay for two exchanges. Now, thanks to TUGS, I have locked off and exchanged both sides three times since 2011 AND have learned how to use XYZ exchanges to get extra weeks.

Last edited:

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know how applicable this might be, but how do you want to handle situations where someone owns more than one enrolled week, and elects points but not for all weeks? I don't want to complicate things for you!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't know how applicable this might be, but how do you want to handle situations where someone owns more than one enrolled week, and elects points but not for all weeks? I don't want to complicate things for you!

I responded based on whether I had elected Points for ANY of our Weeks in the given years, not ALL. (Which I think will fulfill Emmy's goal of learning if usage trends are developing now that the DC is past its fifth year.)

Looking back on our usage for the poll was surprising in that we converted at least one week in five of the six years. I think my expectations at the beginning were that we would use DC Points only as often as we'd used II in the past - which was every third or fourth year - but as it turns out, electing Points usage for different season/size/view units at our home resorts has worked out very well. The DC sure allows for more value than II does when it comes to non-lockoff 3BR ownerships. ("Face" value I mean, not including possible AC's or XYZ's with an II deposit.)

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I enrolled three weeks in 2010. I traded for points with one unit only for 14/15. Of my 3 weeks I generally occupy MFC and nearly always trade MSE (locked off) and MSP through II

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would rather see a separate poll for each year; Yes, Elected Points or No, Didn't Elect Points. Right now it is hard to tell from the current poll the percentage of Tuggers that elected points vs those that didn't. Of course that is a lot more work...

taffy19

Reaction score
Good idea, dioxide. Do whatever makes the poll the clearest to track what we have done. It is also important to track how many weeks in total as not all weeks may be exchanged for points.

We only own one week and deposited once for 2015 for three visits in 2014 and 15.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I certainly don't want to make more work for Sue. But something along the lines of .

One (1) Week Elected Points
Two (2) Weeks Elected Points
Three (3) Weeks Elected Points
Four (4) Weeks Elected Points
Five (5) or More Weeks Elected Points
One (1) Week Did Not Elect Points
Two (2) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Three (3) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Four (4) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Five (5) or More Weeks Did Not Elect Points

They would then vote in one or both categories (Elected and Did Not Elect). We could then quickly run the numbers to see the ratio of weeks elected vs. not.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
A blended selection each year.

Hi

We elect a blend each year. We hesitated enrolling our weeks in the beginning, but enrolled all of them before the initial price increased, and have been pleased with the added options we now have.

We always use our Hawaii weeks, have begun choosing DC pts for our one-bedroom Timber Lodge so we can go for shorter times on non-weekends (so less expensive) or choose a two-bedroom and bring guests. We also turn Newport in for Destination Points sometimes since we usually go for 6 nights. Our Desert Springs II gives enough points to go for a few days on our way to visit family/friends in SoCal. Canyon Villas and Grand Chateau also offer these options.

Then after accumulating all the leftover points we add nights to our weeks at Waiohai and KoOlina. More time in Hawaii is always good for us! This winter will be 3 wks at Waiohai! Two legacy wks plus extra DP nights on both the front and back ends. Sometimes we use points for some nights on Maui before or after going to Oahu.

It is fun and pretty easy using the points. We always have our calendar out and available to check for free time that we might use to travel! Retirement is nice.

Alice

DKT

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have elected all weeks since 2011, we have even used points for our home resort. At this time the flexibility has worked for us, and we like the ability to choose points or weeks. The only thing I do not like is when using points at your home resort you do not get the priority for room requests.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We've elected points thru 2015 for our Grand Chateau but we have never elected points for our Ocean Pointe week. I am undecided on our 2016 Grand Chateau week. I'd like to use the master suite and exchange the 1 bedroom portion (we own a 3 bedroom). Life circumstances may defeat that plan and we might have to elect points and take shorter trips instead.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I elect points for both units about every third year and only for one the other two. That gives me two lock offs or four units to trade in II every three years and about an average of 3700 points per year. It works really well for me when I can do Sunday to Thursday stays in hard to get places and then use the II trades for easier places. I love Williamsburg, Orlando, and Hilton Head so you can figure out what I use the points for.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I had to choose "other" because I have never elected points for any of my three weeks any year BUT never say never.

There could be a time when circumstances (like. Doug) get in the way and I would choose DC points.
Can't imagine why but ya never know.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We have only elected points once, in 2014. We used them to go to Hawaii. Great 55% discount on a Kauai Lagoons 3BR and a private trade of DC points for a stay on the Big Island. I don't see us doing this again in the near future.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
We have only elected points once, in 2014. We used them to go to Hawaii. Great 55% discount on a Kauai Lagoons 3BR and a private trade of DC points for a stay on the Big Island. I don't see us doing this again in the near future.
OT but, why did you get a 55% discount on the amount of points needed got your 3BR unit?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
OT but, why did you get a 55% discount on the amount of points needed got your 3BR unit?

This was back when MVCI was offering the big discounts for stays at Kauai Lagoons. We booked back in 2012. They had offered the promotion and it continued for a long time after the promotion had apparently ended. There are a few threads on the topic back in 2011/12.

ETA: Here is a link to discussion about those discussions.

Last edited:

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I own an EOY MGC and an EOY MCV gold which i have always cnverted to DC points since the beginning. moving forward I plan to continue to convert the MGC for points but will lockoff and deposit the Canyon Villas into II,since it only gets 1875 points.Our Ocean Watch I feel is too valuable as a trader or renter to convert to points. i 've only done it once, at the beginning, but not any more. our fairway villas was bought after the deadline and cant be enrolled. we use this as an II trader.

Last edited:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 5 weeks and below is how I used them:

2012 - 1 Elected Points 4 II Exchanges
2013 - 2 Elected Points 3 II Exchanges
2014 - 3 Elected Points 2 II Exchanges
2015 - So far 3 Elected Points and 1 II Exchange. Still debating last 2015 week usage. Leaning towards II exchange just to boost the weeks in my II account.

Mamianka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you elect points in 2011 for your week or weeks? no

Did you elect points in 2012 for your week or weeks? yes

Did you elect points in 2013 for your week or weeks? yes

Did you elect points in 2014 for your week or weeks? no

Did you elect points in 2015 for your week or weeks? yes

We traded in SOME of our properties each time, but never both. We have figured out where we want to go when, and which way will get us there cheaper, and more reliably - we hope.

Mamianka

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I certainly don't want to make more work for Sue. But something along the lines of .

One (1) Week Elected Points
Two (2) Weeks Elected Points
Three (3) Weeks Elected Points
Four (4) Weeks Elected Points
Five (5) or More Weeks Elected Points
One (1) Week Did Not Elect Points
Two (2) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Three (3) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Four (4) Weeks Did Not Elect Points
Five (5) or More Weeks Did Not Elect Points

They would then vote in one or both categories (Elected and Did Not Elect). We could then quickly run the numbers to see the ratio of weeks elected vs. not.

Took a couple days to think on this. I like yearly polls with as much detail as you've included, but don't want to clutter up the board by putting one up for each of the years that have already passed. How about we leave this one here in the forums to watch the basic trends of 2010-2015, and put up a sticky with your poll, above, each year?

We're nearing the 2016 12- and 13-month Reservation Windows so the sticky can begin with that. It'll be titled, "2016 Usage of DC-Enrolled Weeks," and will remain up until the next year's poll. If there's enough interest in it then it won't be a problem for a mod to put up the yearly polls; if the idea dies then we stop the experiment. :D

Suggestions, ideas, comments? Remember, we're aiming for simplicity. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Took a couple days to think on this. I like yearly polls with as much detail as you've included, but don't want to clutter up the board by putting one up for each of the years that have already passed. How about we leave this one here in the forums to watch the basic trends of 2010-2015, and put up a sticky with your poll, above, each year?

We're nearing the 2016 12- and 13-month Reservation Windows so the sticky can begin with that. It'll be titled, "2016 Usage of DC-Enrolled Weeks," and will remain up until the next year's poll. If there's enough interest in it then it won't be a problem for a mod to put up the yearly polls; if the idea dies then we stop the experiment. :D

Suggestions, ideas, comments? Remember, we're aiming for simplicity. ;)

Sue,

I don't think you need to make each one a sticky. Couldn't you create a poll for each year through 2017 and create one sticky or main post that links to all the others? That would keep all the posts/links in one place and the actual threads with the poll would end up back many pages. Each year you would just edit the main sticky and add a new link to the newly created poll.

I would be rather interested in the past conversion percentages. Though I bet Tuggers are not the best representation of the timesharing public, so it may not show a true trend of the whole MVCI ownership.

Not sure though if this meets the simplicity test :). So just something going forward would be good. Though it would still be good to just add each year to an ongoing post that links to the new thread for each year.

Last edited:

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We only own 1 week (so far) - we enrolled our week and have used DC points for 2013 which we used for extending time in Palm Desert and are using for an upcoming stay at Oceana Palms - we plan on exchanging or depositing our unit using lock-off and getting two weeks for 2014 to be used in 2015 or later - our strategy is to alternate between points and exchanging or depositing (always lock-off) every other year, taking advantage of ACs and XYZs whenever possible. We are thinking of buying another unit resale using it for trades and using our enrolled week for DC points on an annual basis. We are happy with our decision to enroll

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We only own 1 week (so far) - we enrolled our week and have used DC points for 2013 which we used for extending time in Palm Desert and are using for an upcoming stay at Oceana Palms - we plan on exchanging or depositing our unit using lock-off and getting two weeks for 2014 to be used in 2015 or later - our strategy is to alternate between points and exchanging or depositing (always lock-off) every other year, taking advantage of ACs and XYZs whenever possible. We are thinking of buying another unit resale using it for trades and using our enrolled week for DC points on an annual basis. We are happy with our decision to enroll

If you have enough points for the ocean front unit a Oceana Palms, go for it. The balcony is huge and the views are unobstructed and tremendous.