• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does it matter?

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Whoa! Katie Couric Is 54? Who Knew?

Katie Couric is leaving CBS's evening news.
Nothing against Katie, but I haven't sat down in front of the TV for any evening news broadcast since way before Dan Rather quit reading the news.

If the network news audience is shrinking (& I suspect it is as internet & cable TV news outlets proliferate), I doubt it has much to do with the age or the sex of the news readers.

If the network suits & advertisers are dissatisfied with the ratings, it will be grossly unfair of them to put the blame on Ms. Couric. Short of reading the news topless, there's not much she or any news anchor can do to bring back the glory days of Walter Cronkite & Huntley-Brinkley & Peter Jennings.

So it goes.

PS: I can remember when I used to think that 54 is old. Those days are long gone.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay now one guy was labeled as his age in golf coverage, makes me feel better sorta. I remember thinking 30yo was old at 18 :)

Relax. In the TV golf coverage this weekend, Scott Verplank was seldom mentioned just as "Scott Verplank", but as "46-year-old Scott Verplank".

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in an age obsessed era.

Also, I think the 'news' people think that adding such a personal fact as age makes them sound like they know what they are talking about or have the 'inside track'.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do we know she is 54?

Inasmuch as an evening news organization cited her age as "54" we cannot assume she is actually 54. The news media rarely gets anything right.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Inasmuch as an evening news organization cited her age as "54" we cannot assume she is actually 54. The news media rarely gets anything right.
That's not quite true. Fox rarely gets anything left, whereas MSNBC rarely gets anything right.

And I think that both rarely get anything correct.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
That's not quite true. Fox rarely gets anything left, whereas MSNBC rarely gets anything right.

And I think that both rarely get anything correct.

Good one!!:rofl:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes it matters

Denvers Fox 4 news this am just ran a piece that Katie Couric is leaving CBS's evening news. Specifically mentioned "... the 54 year old...." I don't recall they talk about how old men anchors are , do you? Just bugs me they have to toss that useless tid bit in there. It is in here too http://www.suntimes.com/4654987-417...cbs-evening-news-anchor-post-source-says.html

Tia, from your comments above I would have to say yes it does matter, to you.
Bart

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

They probably got confused with an article on Studio 54.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Tia,
For all the "progress" we have made in women's rights, our society still defines and describes women differently than men. As the younger generation would say, "It is what it is."

Personally I've always fought for the bigger issues myself, such as equality in employment. Although she was described by age in the piece you quoted, Mrs. Couric was one who broke the glass ceiling. I did "nontraditional (ie, blue collar work) most all my working days.

What type of work do you do?

Fern

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Powerful Women In Media.

Mrs. Couric was one who broke the glass ceiling.
What about Barbara Walters & Oprah Winfrey ?

In entertainment & media, the Glass Ceiling got wiped out way before Katie Couric.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Society still tends to think of 'Women's work' and 'Men's work'. This morning, while the US Supreme Court was hearing the Wal-Mart discrimination argument, Justice Ginsburg commented, "When I was a young lawyer, cases all over, a desk piled up with work, my child's school called repeatedly. Finally, I told them, "The child has two parents. Call the other one!"

Jim Ricks

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Health care is what I do.

I am interested in seeing if the discrimination Walmart suit gets class action status too.

Tia,

What type of work do you do?

Fern

MRSFUSSY

Reaction score
I think that I

read that Katie's salary was 15 million.

Guess she'll get a raise.

She is my kind of a lady!

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the glass ceiling for women has been pretty much demolished for some time in high earning fields and professions. Katy didn't do it in journalism. This "first this" and "first that" business is another media creation and not justified in most cases. She was the "first" female solo anchor. Who cares ? She led the way for Diane Sawyer? Ridiculous. Babs Walters broke the glass ceiling for women in journalism quite some time ago. Women today are highly "participatory" in every profession and field as far as I can see. Walk in any courtroom or hospital and you will see for yourself. I think that women simply are not discriminated against in higher earning jobs any more. That is an opinion. Maybe someone has statistics on that but I don't.

I also think that women's role in society has changed dramatically from the era of Justice Ginsburg. More men take equal roles in household and child rearing duties.

Whatever happened or didn't happen at Walmart is for the courts to decide and is not necessarily indicative of where our society is today.

1950bing

Reaction score
I'm just glad she is going. Not a good anchor. She is #3 of the big 3 ! I always felt she tried to get the people she was interviewing to agree with her on everything. If they didn't, she would turn up the heat. News should be about news and not about how a person who thinks one should be. Maybe a hollywood gossip spot would be a good fit for her. At least she is going !:clap:

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
John Roberts left CBS for CNN when he didn't get Rather's job...maybe he's in the running.

cadreamer

TUG Member
Reaction score
John Roberts left CBS for CNN when he didn't get Rather's job...maybe he's in the running.

Ahh, John Roberts; I remember when he was "J.D. Roberts" in Toronto. He was a VJ on MuchMusic in the early days of Music Videos. (That was our version of MTV.)
It's great to see him doing so well south of the border; Canadian border that is! I'd rather watch him do the news then Couric.:clap: